Samyang 7.5/3.5 defishing examples

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
phodopus
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
Samyang 7.5/3.5 defishing examples
5 months ago

All images defished to cylindrical projection, using AnglerFish, still in development stage:

http://anglerfish.ajotte.com/

This style of defishing straightens only vertical lines and sometimes gives "strange" results (look for example at the floor in the second pair of images), but people are not stretched and look natural. Now I can use my fisheye lens more often - not only for typical fishy images, bus as a ultra wide lens

And I need your help - if you have a fisheye lens not listed in AnglerFish, maybe you could take a profile photo and mail it to me?

phodopus's gear list:phodopus's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Aaron801
Contributing MemberPosts: 852Gear list
Like?
Re: Samyang 7.5/3.5 defishing examples
In reply to phodopus, 5 months ago

I love the idea of using a really wide lens and then making the images look not so "fishy." I like the fisheye look actually, but only for certainly kinds of images.... I really like wide angle though and if I thought that I was able to use a fisheye for more traditional looking wide angle shots (using a de-fish software) I think that I'd really consider getting a lens like that.

Still, it seems to me based on your experiments with it (that I really appreciate) that many images are still going to have the earmarks of that fisheye look even once you've done the correcting work. Other images are convincingly "flatter" with those bowed lines taken out, but if there are lines at certain angles that aren't perfectly vertical or horizontal it seems that they're still going to have that fisheye look... Though maybe there's other methods for correcting that stuff as well...?

Aaron801's gear list:Aaron801's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hybert46
Contributing MemberPosts: 620Gear list
Like?

Hi,

you show some very good example of defished pictures. I have tried this process several times with my Samyang fisheye but I used the Hugin freeware. It is also interesting to play with the different projections to have different rendering. It really depends on the scenery you have captured as some projections work better for architecture, and some other work better not to distort too much people.

For me, the biggest problem of this method is the composition of the final defished image. I find it very difficult to compose well the picture having in mind how the defished image will look like.

Simon

-- hide signature --

Simon
Flickr favorites: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjkypfZu
E-M5, 7.5mm fisheye, 9-18mm, 12mm, 20mm, 45mm

hybert46's gear list:hybert46's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
phodopus
Like?
In reply to Aaron801, 5 months ago

Aaron801 wrote:

Other images are convincingly "flatter" with those bowed lines taken out, but if there are lines at certain angles that aren't perfectly vertical or horizontal it seems that they're still going to have that fisheye look... Though maybe there's other methods for correcting that stuff as well...?

Yes, there is other method: rectilinear projection

But areas near image edges look awful and have to be cut off.

Example:

For this image I used rectilinear conversion and, because it could be done here without bending horizontal and vertical lines, I used "center/edges H" slider to expand tower width and narrow edges.

This image is defished to rectilinear, then has only pespective corrected and is of course cropped:

For this kind of images electronic level is very useful

Olympus OM-D E-M5
daymon
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?

Thanks for sharing, and interesting results. I think this so called cylindrical projection should also work nicely for landscapes, just to straighten trees for example.

I'll give it a try when I'm back home. Are TIFF files supported?

daymon's gear list:daymon's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +5 more
phodopus
Like?
In reply to daymon, 5 months ago

Yes, tiffs are supported, 8 and 16 bits.

Olympus OM-D E-M5
dinoSnake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,206
Like?
In reply to hybert46, 5 months ago

hybert46 wrote:

Hi,

you show some very good example of defished pictures. I have tried this process several times with my Samyang fisheye but I used the Hugin freeware. It is also interesting to play with the different projections to have different rendering. It really depends on the scenery you have captured as some projections work better for architecture, and some other work better not to distort too much people.

For me, the biggest problem of this method is the composition of the final defished image. I find it very difficult to compose well the picture having in mind how the defished image will look like.

I switched over from Hugin to a Photoshop RAW lens profile, very smooth and with excellent results - just click on the profile while in ACR and continue with the balance of your workflow.

windmillgolfer
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,481Gear list
Like?

Thanks for posting phodopus. More evidence, methinks, to support going for the Samyang fisheye as my solution to wideangle on the G6 I just bought.. The x2 factor for  MFTs is quite a challenge for me as I prefer 24mm and less.

-- hide signature --

Stuart
Also at http://www.flickr.com/photos/dieselgolfer/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, please upgrade the FZ50

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
JimLindner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,191Gear list
Like?

Very interesting concept. Some very pleasing results, I love the 7.5 Samyang and anything that makes it more versatile is a plus in my book.

I downloaded the program and will give it a go when I get a chance. It would be nice if final version would work as a Lightroom plugin.

You might want to add system requirements to your download page so folks would know if it would run on their platform, ie Win7, Win8, MacOS.

Good Luck with the project.

-- hide signature --

Regards Jim
We All Need Water!

JimLindner's gear list:JimLindner's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
Timur Born
Senior MemberPosts: 4,220
Like?

I like how this defishing method keeps the angle of view intact and thus makes composing easier.

At which areas do you lose resolution due to stretching with this method? Center? Edges? In between?

-- hide signature --

Red flash eyes save lives and eye-sight!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinoblastoma

Michael M Fliegel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,878Gear list
Like?
In reply to windmillgolfer, 5 months ago

While I own the lens (Bower 7.5) I recommend that you also look at the Olympus 9-18.  Small, not too expensive, and very good optically.

Michael M Fliegel's gear list:Michael M Fliegel's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +9 more
windmillgolfer
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,481Gear list
Like?
In reply to Michael M Fliegel, 5 months ago

Michael, thanks for the recommendation. Samyang is the main brand name in the UK.  I understand that Samyang, Bower and Rokinon are all the same lenses. The Olympus is quite a bit less than the Panasonic but I'll probably go for the Samyang as I quite fancy having a play with the fisheye optics. Sounds like the G6's electronic levels will help.  I still have my LX7 + LWA52 add-on lens giving 18mm at f1.4. So, have something to fall back on if de-fishing isn't satisfactory or too onerous.

-- hide signature --

Stuart
Also at http://www.flickr.com/photos/dieselgolfer/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, please upgrade the FZ50

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
phodopus
Like?
In reply to Timur Born, 5 months ago

Timur Born wrote:

I like how this defishing method keeps the angle of view intact and thus makes composing easier.

At which areas do you lose resolution due to stretching with this method? Center? Edges? In between?

Here is an example - source image, then saved with rectilinear and cylindrical projection:

Rectilinear image has much more stretched edges, so only central area is usable. In cylindrical projection top and bottom edges are expanded up to about 120%. Is is not visible very much.

Olympus OM-D E-M5
daymon
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?

Here's a quick test with some landscapes. I have to say this is exactly the kind of projection I have been looking for. As Jim said, would be really nice if the tool could work as a LR plugin, and OSX support would be great too! I know, it's a lot to ask... 

daymon's gear list:daymon's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads