170 head and shoulder shots with no pay

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
TomBas
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
170 head and shoulder shots with no pay
2 months ago

My lovely daughter-in-law said she is looking for a photographer to shoot 170 head and shoulder shots of teachers for a year book. It needs to be done in one seven hour day and they cannot afford to pay anyone. I wished her luck but I was secretly glad we live 1,500 miles apart so I did not have to turn her down.

GarageBoy
Contributing MemberPosts: 892
Like?
Re: 170 head and shoulder shots with no pay
In reply to TomBas, 2 months ago

I thought yearbook committees had budgets for this...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ZX11
Contributing MemberPosts: 688Gear list
Like?
I can do it if they set up the lighting and camera

TomBas wrote:

My lovely daughter-in-law said she is looking for a photographer to shoot 170 head and shoulder shots of teachers for a year book. It needs to be done in one seven hour day and they cannot afford to pay anyone. I wished her luck but I was secretly glad we live 1,500 miles apart so I did not have to turn her down.

I can show up after they have it set up.  Sipping my Starbucks coffee, I can scroll through the camera menu and set it to time lapse.  Say one shot every 30 seconds.  Then it is off to shopping and a theater for 7 hours.  After which, I can return to pop out the memory card and hand it to them.

That is how I roll

-- hide signature --

"Very funny, Scotty! Now beam me down my clothes."

ZX11's gear list:ZX11's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,032Gear list
Like?

Not a problem.  Have them at my studio in Kabul at 0800 tomorrow and we'll knock it out

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

Pantyhose Bandit
Contributing MemberPosts: 607Gear list
Like?
 Pantyhose Bandit's gear list:Pantyhose Bandit's gear list
Leica S2 Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH Brother MFC-J6910dw Echo One File Juicer Vertu Ti +2 more
chiane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,296
Like?

Maybe the money could be deducted from the teachers union pension fund?

Pantyhose Bandit
Contributing MemberPosts: 607Gear list
Like?
In reply to GarageBoy, 2 months ago

I don't get all this yearbook stuff. I avoided being in quite a lot of class photos when I was in school. I never ever bought a class photo and still have no interest in them. I know my school did do a year book but I don't think I ever bought one.

Pantyhose Bandit's gear list:Pantyhose Bandit's gear list
Leica S2 Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH Brother MFC-J6910dw Echo One File Juicer Vertu Ti +2 more
Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 12,063Gear list
Like?
In reply to chiane, 2 months ago

chiane wrote:

Maybe the money could be deducted from the teachers union pension fund?

Why? Is the yearbook mostly for the teachers?

-- hide signature --

Erik

Erik Magnuson's gear list:Erik Magnuson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Sigma SD10 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D3200 +28 more
yooperguy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,779Gear list
Like?

So these "smart" teachers can't figure out how to put a camera on a tripod, set the timer for 10 seconds, go sit on a chair/stool and smile?  Surely one of them has a camera?  They seem to be so resourceful for "teaching", they should be able to demonstrate some self help to do their own selfies...

Dennis

yooperguy's gear list:yooperguy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot G11 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX20 +1 more
Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 12,063Gear list
Like?
In reply to yooperguy, 2 months ago

yooperguy wrote:

they should be able to demonstrate some self help to do their own selfies...

Again, someone who has totally missed the point of who yearbooks are for. Sure, anyone with a camera (or phone) could take 170 photos, but the hope is probably for a bit more consistency. Yearbooks are not typically profit centers -- for the schools at least. So the options are likely cut something else, raise additional money, or get a volunteer to take the photos. I assume no one ever donated anything of value to any school you attended or you would be familiar with this option.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Erik Magnuson's gear list:Erik Magnuson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Sigma SD10 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D3200 +28 more
PalmettoFellow
Contributing MemberPosts: 975Gear list
Like?

Who took portraits of the students? Why didn't the teachers work in a deal for free yearbook sized portraits of themselves?
What happened last year?

PalmettoFellow's gear list:PalmettoFellow's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +1 more
Austinian
Senior MemberPosts: 1,410Gear list
Like?

TomBas wrote:

Are there no photographers in the student body, who'd do this for free to get extra credit in a course, maybe journalism or art?

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a77 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,996Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pantyhose Bandit, 2 months ago

Your classmates probably thank you. P
--
Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,996Gear list
Like?
In reply to Erik Magnuson, 2 months ago

When I was in school, a yearbook company came to the school and took the photos. They then made a yearbook and sold them to the students.
--
Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

ZX11
Like?
In reply to Erik Magnuson, 2 months ago

Erik Magnuson wrote:

yooperguy wrote:

they should be able to demonstrate some self help to do their own selfies...

Again, someone who has totally missed the point of who yearbooks are for. Sure, anyone with a camera (or phone) could take 170 photos, but the hope is probably for a bit more consistency. Yearbooks are not typically profit centers -- for the schools at least. So the options are likely cut something else, raise additional money, or get a volunteer to take the photos. I assume no one ever donated anything of value to any school you attended or you would be familiar with this option.

-- hide signature --

Erik

170 teachers sounds like a school with a budget that could do this.  Or, at least get help from the journalism class or photography club.  If they don't have a photography club, then they reap the rewards of that choice.  If they do, maybe pay them in bennies like snack bar access or a private session in the school's new indoor heated pool.

170 head shots over a full work day sounds like a job not a volunteer slot.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 700D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
Richard Weisgrau
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,106
Like?

TomBas wrote:

After reading the mostly condescending posts in this thread I am bit turned off by them. The OP's daughter-in-law is a teacher. She is not an administrator or financier. She is a teacher.  They are the folks who help us become what we are. My wife was a teacher for 40+ years. She was the yearbook advisor for 2 years. She had no control over the the school's budget. Her job was to produce yearbook with students doing as much as possible. The senior portrait studio gave the school a 10% rebate on portrait sales. The admins spent that money on other budget items. The students sold yearbook ads, but they raise little $ these days.

My wife (now retired from teaching) gets letters, calls, and emails from past students who value what she taught them. Many of them were prompted to contact her when they took a look at their senior year Yearbook albeit many years later.

So before you dump on the needs of a teacher trying to get a job done in spite of not being given the resources to get that job done, ask yourself this:

What have you done this week to make some peoples' futures better?

I am willing to contribute $100 to help the OP's daughter-in-law get what she needs. If I were near her, I would do the work for her at no charge. I value teachers. Do you? Want to contribute to the need?  Sign up in this thread.

-- hide signature --

Richard Weisgrau
www.drawnwithlight.com

coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,032Gear list
Like?
In reply to Richard Weisgrau, 2 months ago

Richard Weisgrau wrote:

What have you done this week to make some peoples' futures better?

My wife and I contribute yearly 12 charities, to a tune of somewhat more than $100 Perhaps you do also.

We also volunteer at the church and participate in missionary work on occasion. My wife volunteers at her old place of employment.

I suspect that most everyone on this site works just as hard at their job as teachers do. Many also support other organizations. Your statement strikes me as an implication they do otherwise. I not only find it condescending and insulting, I can't imagine how you could possibly have any information on which to base it. Perhaps I misunderstood your tone.

Yes, I appreciate teachers.  Also policemen and janitors.  Also food service workers and the guys who just put the new roof on my house.  All are necessary, and I certainly don't see one form of employement as being more or less deserving of appreciation than the next.  Well, maybe politicians………..  

Everybody seems to have their hand out these days. Many are deserving of assistance. Since you can't give to everybody you must prioritize. High school yearbooks, important though they may be to somebody, are simply not very high on my list of needy organizations.

By the way, I like your web site. Some nice work there.

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

ZX11
Like?
In reply to Richard Weisgrau, 2 months ago

Richard Weisgrau wrote:

TomBas wrote:

After reading the mostly condescending posts in this thread I am bit turned off by them. The OP's daughter-in-law is a teacher. She is not an administrator or financier. She is a teacher. They are the folks who help us become what we are. My wife was a teacher for 40+ years. She was the yearbook advisor for 2 years. She had no control over the the school's budget. Her job was to produce yearbook with students doing as much as possible. The senior portrait studio gave the school a 10% rebate on portrait sales. The admins spent that money on other budget items. The students sold yearbook ads, but they raise little $ these days.

-- hide signature --

Richard Weisgrau
www.drawnwithlight.com

Oh, a teacher needs help changing her car brakes for 7 hours?  No problem.  Always glad to help a neighbor.

Help a bloated school system?  One that doesn't manage money well enough to provide a way to create a year book?  No way.  Pulling money from basics is an old school trick.  Then you can ask the community to provide those basics.  It is the oldest trick in the school management manual.

School leaders always throw out teachers to be the image when they grub for more money.  The education system is awash in money and it is never enough.  The prices just go up and money diverted.  So, schools give students laptops, iPads, and smart phones for education purposes.  Then build stadiums and indoor Olympic pools that cost hundreds of millions of dollars.  Always spending far more than tax payers can afford.  All in the name of education.

The plan from the beginning was to spend on other things and rely on freebies from the local photographers for the teacher photos.  The photographers would help them but they had to sell all their gear to pay their rising property taxes.  Good luck.

P.S.  I know there might be a school in real need but it is hard to separate it from my local rich schools that cry poor mouth just as hard.  Like separating the wheat from the chaff.

-- hide signature --

Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 23,785
Like?
Surely, someone she knows has a cell phone with a camera, right?

TomBas wrote:

I mean, how large are those photos going to be printed?  1x1.5 inches?  A cell phone will do nicely.

David Pavlich
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?
In reply to ZX11, 2 months ago

This is a dandy for my first post.  My graduating class (1969) was all of 98 kids...small school.  When we needed money for something, we had a car wash or spaghetti dinner or pancake breakfast to raise the needed cash.  If it's a worthy project, I would think that there would be enough interested students and teachers to come up with a plan to raise the funds and have it done quickly and efficiently by a pro.

Otherwise, go to Wallgreen's and buy a bunch of disposables and have at it.  There's free processing software out there as well.  It all comes down to priorities.  If this is really important, those involved will find a way.

David

-- hide signature --

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
-- Kurt Vonnegut,

David Pavlich's gear list:David Pavlich's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads