Iceland trip, a photographer paradise

Started 5 months ago | Photos
Mrik
Regular MemberPosts: 108Gear list
Like?
Iceland trip, a photographer paradise
5 months ago

I'm just comming back from a two weeks road trip in Iceland.

Prior to that I bought a k5 II, da50mm and a 55-300 wr, I could not be happier with the equippment, the k5 II and zoom gave me the opportunitty to take pictures I could not achieve before.

It has been a fantastic trip, and I feel like sharing the first draft of some of my favourites pictures.

This country is so amazing I'm falling short of words to describe it, pictures will do a better job.

I know it's a long list compared to usual c&c, but if you feel like it please give me your input, I do not know many photograpy enthusiast, so I can learn from you guys .

Mrik's gear list:Mrik's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR +3 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,518
Like?
Re: Iceland trip, a photographer paradise
In reply to Mrik, 5 months ago

Nice shots. Iceland is indeed wonderful for photography.

Joe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim Beverlin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,338
Like?

Very nice shots.  Thanks for posting.

I was good friends with one of our field service managers and he traveled all over the world for our company.  He often mentioned that Iceland was his favorite country to visit.

-- hide signature --

JRB

PI Hedstrom
Forum MemberPosts: 60Gear list
Like?

Great shots! Dreaming of going there some day.

/Peter

PI Hedstrom's gear list:PI Hedstrom's gear list
Pentax K200D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +4 more
Dale108
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,606
Like?

You did a great job capturing the beauty of the place.

Dale

solarider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,912Gear list
Like?

The images particularly of the waterfalls, are quite spectacular. Volcanoes, rivers, sunsets Looks like a great trip!

Nic

-- hide signature --

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, the rational mind is a faithful servant.
We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

hans_ch
Forum MemberPosts: 67Gear list
Like?

Hi Mrik,

amazing pictures! Can't beleive that you're considering yourself as a beginner. If so, you're born with an artist's eye and you will be a famous photographer very soon ..

Sorry that I cannot teach you anything ..

Cheers,

Hans

-- hide signature --

www.hrfisch.zenfolio.com

hans_ch's gear list:hans_ch's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +6 more
Mrik
Like?
In reply to hans_ch, 5 months ago

hans_ch wrote:

Hi Mrik,

amazing pictures! Can't beleive that you're considering yourself as a beginner. If so, you're born with an artist's eye and you will be a famous photographer very soon ..

Cheers,

Hans

-- hide signature --

www.hrfisch.zenfolio.com

Thank you, as much as I wished it were true, I feel I don't deserve half of it. Let me also say that Iceland is so amazing that you can not come back from it without decent pictures.

If you are refering to my profile here saying I'm a beginnner, I never edited it, so it was 5 years ago when I had just bought my K-7.

But even though years have passed, I still feel like a beginner.

I know my way around my gear, and photoshop, lightroom an other tools of the kind, and can discuss a fair deal about the technical aspect of photography but it is only because I'm a geek.

As for photography as an Art, I always find that I'm lacking a good eye, and focusing too much on technic and photography "rules", as a matter of fact I'm just starting to feel happy with some of my pictures (thank you k-5II for making things easier).

For exemple when traveling with my better half (she's using a compact sony hx50 these days), I find myself looking at her picture and asking why I did not see this angle of view, or that detail...

And why oh why I spent 10 minutes making sure I get a good set of exposure bracketed shots with enough dof and smooth water after setting up the tripod and nd filter, remote in hand; when a much better Point of view was meters away !!!

So frustrating you know.

Maybe I'm not the only one feeling that way about my pictures, I don't know, but anyway I know I still have tons of stuff to learn

Thanks again for the comment

ps: as for my better half when she does that to me, I transform in a troll and tell her that having a 24 to 720 mm equivalent in a compact is just plain cheating !! (even if I'd love to have THAT kind of range on a dslr).

Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR +3 more
sgtsween
Regular MemberPosts: 399Gear list
Like?

Excellent images!!!!!

sgtsween's gear list:sgtsween's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-01 +12 more
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,976
Like?

Nicely done, impressive photos aside from the tilted horizon in the 5th photo

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

SBS
SBS
Senior MemberPosts: 1,739
Like?

You did a very fine job soaring so many different perspectives. Thanks for sharing.

kenwklau
Regular MemberPosts: 268Gear list
Like?

Wow, such jaw dropping scences.
--
Regards,
Ken

kenwklau's gear list:kenwklau's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Canon PowerShot G15 Pentax K-30 +2 more
hans_ch
Like?

Mrik wrote:

hans_ch wrote:

Hi Mrik,

Cheers,

Hans

-- hide signature --

www.hrfisch.zenfolio.com

Thank you, as much as I wished it were true, I feel I don't deserve half of it. Let me also say that Iceland is so amazing that you can not come back from it without decent pictures.

If you are refering to my profile here saying I'm a beginnner, I never edited it, so it was 5 years ago when I had just bought my K-7.

But even though years have passed, I still feel like a beginner.

I know my way around my gear, and photoshop, lightroom an other tools of the kind, and can discuss a fair deal about the technical aspect of photography but it is only because I'm a geek.

As for photography as an Art, I always find that I'm lacking a good eye, and focusing too much on technic and photography "rules", as a matter of fact I'm just starting to feel happy with some of my pictures (thank you k-5II for making things easier).

For exemple when traveling with my better half (she's using a compact sony hx50 these days), I find myself looking at her picture and asking why I did not see this angle of view, or that detail...

And why oh why I spent 10 minutes making sure I get a good set of exposure bracketed shots with enough dof and smooth water after setting up the tripod and nd filter, remote in hand; when a much better Point of view was meters away !!!

So frustrating you know.

Maybe I'm not the only one feeling that way about my pictures, I don't know, but anyway I know I still have tons of stuff to learn

Thanks again for the comment

It's nice to have good memories from a spectactular vacation trip, and if they are linked to by high quality pictures, then it becomes a longlife re-enjoyable experience. I had the chance visiting Iceland two years ago. It was in September, the weather was mostly rainy, but I enjoyed the trip a lot. Unfortunately, I did shoot IPG only at that time. Tweaking those shots give mixed results. Here are some pictures of this trip; some of them are shot from the car through the window. We traveled rather the japaneee way. Whenever I get the chance to visit this Island again, I will try to reserve at least 10 days.

Cheers, Hans

Husavik

Husavik

Somewhere in the middle western part of the island between Reykjavik and Husavik (from the plane)

On the way to the Krafla geohtermal field (near Skútusadir ?)

Somewhere on the winter route between Husavik and Reyjkavik

Svartsengi geothermal power plant

Near Reykjavik (SE)

-- hide signature --

www.hrfisch.zenfolio.com

Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +6 more
Mrik
Like?

Well 15 days and more than 4000 km and I feel like I did not really take my time, there is so much to see there.

You have some nice shots yourself, looks like in september some snow already fell, a different experience fom what I can see, thanks for sharing.

Mrik
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, 5 months ago

MightyMike wrote:

Nicely done, impressive photos aside from the tilted horizon in the 5th photo

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Thanks for the critic, actually I have the same feeling about this shot, but I can not for the life of me make sure it is straight or not ...

The right part of the island was larger so coming more towards the camera.

Even when looking at the farthest part of the horizon on the right and using a guide in PS, I can not be sure on how to correct it :

By the way this was the only shot of the set taken while driving ;), I guess I was not looking at the level in the viewfinder (I find the level on the K5-II particularly well implemented).

MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,976
Like?

Leveling photos isn't always easy, i don't usually pay attention to the cameras level either. The best way when possible is to find something vertical near the center and use the ruler tool to draw a line down the edge, that automatically gets you the angle and you can use the rotate arbitrarily option to rotate the photo by that angle. the next and only other option is the horizon but you need a clear horizon otherwise you'll be misled. sometimes you just have to wing it and see what looks right.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

edhannon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,312Gear list
Like?

Your last image reminded me of my stay in Keflavik in 1961-1962 while in the US Air Force. That looks like the massive lava field between Reykjavik and Keflavik.

I used to have some transparencies from that time - but they were lost in a barracks move in 1963. Included were some images of Yuri Gagarin (the Russian cosmonaut) when he landed at the Air Force base in Keflavik during his world tour.

-- hide signature --
 edhannon's gear list:edhannon's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Pentax K10D
klimbkat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,469Gear list
Like?

Very nice collection, well shot and processed.  You got all you could out of your lenses, and the 10-20 was a great choice give the scope of some of the scenes.  BTW, I'm OK with the horizon in #5 - that's one of those shots that ends up being somewhat subjective where the final decision is not bound to a ruler in a program but, rather, your eye (I find that eye naturally "leans" right, thus, this version looks OK to me).  My first impression is that would look great with the house cloned out and a contrasty B&W treatment, though it is very nice as is (and obviously more "true" to the scene).

Thanks for posting these - Iceland is on my list . . .

hans_ch
Like?
@Ed (Re: Iceland trip, a photographer paradise)
In reply to edhannon, 5 months ago

edhannon wrote:

Your last image reminded me of my stay in Keflavik in 1961-1962 while in the US Air Force. That looks like the massive lava field between Reykjavik and Keflavik.

I used to have some transparencies from that time - but they were lost in a barracks move in 1963. Included were some images of Yuri Gagarin (the Russian cosmonaut) when he landed at the Air Force base in Keflavik during his world tour.

-- hide signature --

You're right, the last image is taken from SW of Reykjavik (not SE, as I put in the caption).

It must hurt to loose transparencies from Yuri Gagarin. But you probably got over easier as you seem to have a long memory. I wouldn't take as many photo if I were sure that I can rely on mine

-- hide signature --

www.hrfisch.zenfolio.com

yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,986Gear list
Like?

Awesome!  I've always wanted to go to Iceland, and you make me feel like I am there.  The shot of the green door in the reddish wall and the shot of the cairns are very much my favorites (shouldn't surprise anyone that I dig the shots made with the 50mm prime!) and I like the bird and pony shots as well.  The puffin is sweet.

Looks like you made a very wise choice of lenses.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads