* Wed C&C No Theme Thread #326 14 07 23 *

Started 4 months ago | Photos
Waynecam
Forum ProPosts: 12,776Gear list
Like?
Lou,
In reply to LouHolland, 4 months ago

Thanks for that tip. I have done something similar in LR5 but mot recently. I just happened to try an HDR program on this one on a whim and liked the result.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JoeNap2
Contributing MemberPosts: 915Gear list
Like?
Re: Nuts & Seeds

Thanks Lou... nothing fancy... a sheet of white card stock on my coffee table. Nikon SB700 at full power bounced off the white ceiling. Cactus Trigger radio trigger. My FL36 did not have enough output to get the brightness I wanted. Was trying to minimize shadows. Used a monopod to support the camera since I wanted a slow shutter and higher f-stop. Adjusted levels and saturation and sharpened in PSE.

JoeNap2's gear list:JoeNap2's gear list
Samsung L74 Wide Olympus E-500 Nikon D7000
JoeNap2
Like?
In reply to 19andrew47, 4 months ago

Thanks for hosting Andrew!

JoeNap2
Like?
In reply to Muzfox, 4 months ago

Thanks... good suggestions. I wanted the small hit of deep purple color since everything else was muted. Was trying to go higher key overall so my plan was not to emphasize shadows.

MikePDX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,554Gear list
Like?
Re: Reach...
In reply to stephent, 4 months ago

stephent wrote:

Hi everyone on from the backyard on a beautiful winters day.

See what I meant about contrast it's a thing for me this week...

Scott's reply said it better than I could have!

Scott wrote:

Oh, yeah! This is great, Stephen. Terrific composition and processing. I love the conversation between the branches and the clouds. Beautifully done. Nice work.

Conversation between branches and clouds...   Stephen, you're the king of contrast this week!

-- hide signature --

-Mike
You can observe a lot by looking - Yogi Berra
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike-pdx/collections/

MikePDX's gear list:MikePDX's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
JoeNap2
Like?
Re: Winters Morning
In reply to Muzfox, 4 months ago

Lovely image... very moody... print it and hang it on a wall!

My suggestions and a quick edit:

Darken edges very slightly and also increase mid-tone contrast very slightly. I use a new duplicate layers for this.

Blur the area darkened.

Sharpen the interior of the image

Dodge highlights in the central portion of the image.

Old-school techniques. Not sure the example is large enough to see the full impact. The idea is simple... the eye scans an image it sees and is drawn to light and dark spots and sharp elements. Avoid too dark or too bright areas around the edges and selectively sharpen the important elements in the interior of the frame... and don't be too obvious.

Good shooting, Joe

Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,497
Like?
Stephen & Roel, re: Choice
In reply to RoelHendrickx, 4 months ago

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Zindanfel wrote:

-- hide signature --

Zin

Stephen wrote:

Unless you are a vegetarian.

Hi Zin another interesting image not sure what you are trying to say, but it make me think about our levels of consumption.

Choice is great but at what cost?

Response:

Stephen, I hope my reply below is responsive to your comment as well as Roel's. In the interest of not growing this thread more than necessary, I made a Choice to consolidate.

It's an image of consumer overload, in which I feel you have increased the saturation of the red channel in order to make the meat even more sickly red than most people like their steak to appear under the clingfoil.

I did hit the "Deepen" button in PhotoScape once, but I think the effect is largely due to rosy lighting directed on the red meat shelves by this big chain store.

But I have a problem, and it is that your title "Choice" really does not seem to fit this image.

Choice is what would be the ordeal of the consumer, not of the person filling the shelves.

I think we were on different wave-lengths. Choice by the shelf-stocker never occurred to me. I did think of the meat grade "U.S. Choice" and choices of people following various diets, and choices made in order to produce this bounty such as the policy choice to grant government subsidies in the form of low grazing fees on U.S. public lands, and even choices denied by economic, religious, and other reasons. Overall, I saw the scene as a visual metaphor for the incredible range of choice available to most people in rich countries.

I thought that the hidden face of the worker might serve to suggest the general inaccessibility by the general public to knowledge about sources and production of food. In the US, agribusiness fights tooth and nail to avoid food labeling on issues such as GMO, origins, and transparent naming. For example, MSG often appears on labels as "natural flavor."

If everyone had unlimited leisure to examine and ponder all the photos seen in even just one day, the proliferation of such arcane interpretations would overwhelm dpr's capacity. 

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my Olympus user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

-- hide signature --

Zin

David Outoffocus
Regular MemberPosts: 207
Like?
Re: Holiday snaps including one for YYR
In reply to yyr, 4 months ago

Hi,

Thanks for this.  I like the crop but I am not sure about the lightening of the shadows.  My preference tends to be for contrasty b&w.

RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,731
Like?
Andrew,

19andrew47 wrote:

Corrected math, I should know better!

To date the weekly hosts have been, mostly in chronological order:

Jonas B: #1 - 13, 13 editions

gnarayan (Gautham) #14 - 26, 13 editions

RoelHendrickx # 27 - 51 plus 246, 26 editions

cnb (Christa) # 52, 55 - 72, 19 editions

Claus A #53, 54, 73 - 245, 175 editions

LouHolland #247 - 251, 5 editions

Zindanfel # 254, 1 edition

19andrew47 (Andrew) #252, 253, 255 - 326, 74 editions

I am thinking that it may be a time for a new host and perhaps there is someone with an interest in taking over the hosting of this thread. Discussion about this is welcome or if any one has an interest in doing this weekly they could contact me by PM. I have enjoyed hosting this thread but would welcome an opportunity to have a smaller role.

Andrew

Andrew, I think you have done (and are doing) extremely well.

If you really want to pass the baton, may I recommend that you do not just make that announcement here (I myself had almost missed your roundup, if you had not posted the correction that drew my attention).

You could definitely consider actively sending a PM to one (or a few) of the regular participants.

That is how, at the end of the first year, I got Christa to take over (and later Claus).

(I was actually hoping that you would break Claus' record...  You have a gentle and very consistent approach to the thread: very punctual and constructive - your C&C is often very hands-on, with an actual processing, and that sometimes counts for more than the mere words that I and others provide.)  Exemplary hosting work!

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my Olympus user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

minniev
Senior MemberPosts: 1,532
Like?
Re: The Driver

LouHolland wrote:

Hi Minniev, the histogram is very unbalanced, that means if we corrected that first it will reveal what you possibly really saw that day. OTOH the mist in the background is very appealing and could be back by masking. That white boat on the right in the misty part is balanced with an other white one just behind that raft and is to me not directly a point of disturbance as your shot is social moment, but if you want to get rid of it use the content aware option in Photoshop or crop it out.

I have corrected the histogram and masked out the mist behind, that means now it is more or less what you've seen that day otherwise the histogram couldn't reveal it.

example
-

It is not to me to judge, you're the artist of this image, but maybe it helps to see what you initially saw.

Lou

minniev wrote:

On the south end of Grand Manan, most mornings look like this, but work goes on. The flat vessels are called drivers and are used to transport a device out to the herring weirs to pound the saplings into the sea floor to hold up the nets. I don't know if there is enough detail to make a decent photo of, but the scene caught my eye because of the little light, I think, that could be seen through the fog. What should be done with it? I never seem to know what to do with fog pictures...

Thanks Lou for the comments and the work which does gather in some more detail and makes more out of that little light on the larger raft. Here is what I'm not sure about: the distortion you see in the histogram might have been caused by me. The fog was even thicker and the scene more invisible than in my first post. To get some detail, I tinkered with the histogram itself, lopping off pieces on both ends to redistribute values. I love shooting in fog, but it can be challenging to render both what you saw and what you didn't see but wish you had.

19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 13,372Gear list
Like?
Re: Salute!
In reply to jiankliu, 4 months ago

A nice image.  I think the colour level is about right as those fish can be really bright orange.  A little extra room on the right can be easily added in post extending the right side since the area is reasonably devoid of detail.

Andrew

yyr
yyr
Senior MemberPosts: 3,195
Like?
Re: A colourful City..

LouHolland wrote:

Yaelle, I understand, but I presume your screen is to close to your eyes

Nope - I stood back 3 or 4feet and I have the same effect. Obviously just me though.

This image is born by accident and taken as a monochrome, but when read by a PostProgram it turns out in colour as the raw file contains all the info needed and I was surprised by this at that moment strage bokeh. If this bokeh can be achieved on purpose I would call it "architectural bokeh" This kind of bokeh I've never seen before in my life. However I'm very pleased with it and

I am guessing the character of the bokeh can be attributed to the DTC?

I guess in a larger print it will certainly lose a bit of the effect named by you and would be quite tranquil.

Maybe - I think my eyes don't know where to focus....

Lou

yyr wrote:

LouHolland wrote:

A colourful city

Thanks for Comments & Critics

Lou

DTC used here and was taken in monochrome

Everything about this shot makes me want to like it - the colour, the angle the crispness of the leaves and the composition are all beautiful. The problem is that after a few seconds of looking that very sharp 'jittery' bokeh starts to make me feel dizzy and I have to look away. Sorry Lou

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------
"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." - Minor White

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------
"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." - Minor White

yyr
yyr
Senior MemberPosts: 3,195
Like?
In reply to David Outoffocus, 4 months ago

David Outoffocus wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for this. I like the crop but I am not sure about the lightening of the shadows. My preference tends to be for contrasty b&w.

It's a lovely shot. I think I probably lean to the high contrast version as well. I just think it's always interesting to look at different options.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------

David Outoffocus
Regular MemberPosts: 207
Like?

I totally agree with your comment on trying different options.  Thanks for your input!

LouHolland
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,318
Like?
Re: A colourful City..

yyr wrote:

LouHolland wrote:

Yaelle, I understand, but I presume your screen is to close to your eyes

Nope - I stood back 3 or 4feet and I have the same effect. Obviously just me though.

Yaelle, I can't help you, sorry

This image is born by accident and taken as a monochrome, but when read by a PostProgram it turns out in colour as the raw file contains all the info needed and I was surprised by this at that moment strage bokeh. If this bokeh can be achieved on purpose I would call it "architectural bokeh" This kind of bokeh I've never seen before in my life. However I'm very pleased with it and

I am guessing the character of the bokeh can be attributed to the DTC?

I like to say it is through, but I have a lack on experience using the DTC option, but I will be to pay special attention to the subject.

I guess in a larger print it will certainly lose a bit of the effect named by you and would be quite tranquil.

Maybe - I think my eyes don't know where to focus....

Must be terrible and I can't help you as I'm not almighty, I just try to sqeeze someting reasonable out of my new E-M10, sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident.

However I embrace your opinion, there are these threads for, thanks.

Lou

Lou

yyr wrote:

LouHolland wrote:

A colourful city

Thanks for Comments & Critics

Lou

DTC used here and was taken in monochrome

Everything about this shot makes me want to like it - the colour, the angle the crispness of the leaves and the composition are all beautiful. The problem is that after a few seconds of looking that very sharp 'jittery' bokeh starts to make me feel dizzy and I have to look away. Sorry Lou

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------

jiankliu
Regular MemberPosts: 381Gear list
Like?

19andrew47 wrote:

A nice image. I think the colour level is about right as those fish can be really bright orange. A little extra room on the right can be easily added in post extending the right side since the area is reasonably devoid of detail.

Andrew

How about this:

Thanks Andrew.

Jian

jiankliu's gear list:jiankliu's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +12 more
jiankliu
Regular MemberPosts: 381Gear list
Like?
Which do you like?

jiankliu's gear list:jiankliu's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +12 more
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 5,102Gear list
Like?
Re: Lake Michigan - Door County

LouHolland wrote:

What bothers me most here is that the front branding has a green cast. That's very unnatural. Furthermore, this photo has a lot of potential and I know you deal with it as I've seen you flickr account know with very nice images.

The greeenish cast may have been because I brought up the yellows in the foreground.

I tried something new here and didn't attempt to make it look completely natural. I wanted to create a pleasing fantasy painting affect.

I'm getting the impression that I did not succeed very well, with this, my first attempt?

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 5,102Gear list
Like?

jiankliu wrote:

How about this:

I like it better now. Did you have room to expand it with cropping or did you add the room? If so, how?

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 13,372Gear list
Like?

Looks good!

Andrew

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads