Confusion about my first DSLR continues...

Started 5 months ago | Questions
fuma4fun
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Confusion about my first DSLR continues...
5 months ago

Hey everyone,

I am going to buy my first DSLR. I zeroed in on the Canon 600d, but someone just confused me with the Sony A58. Can someone clear up this for me?

Also, if i go for Sony will the lens be costly if I plan to buy additional ones later.

ANSWER:
Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JamesRL
Senior MemberPosts: 2,339Gear list
Like?
Re: Confusion about my first DSLR continues...
In reply to fuma4fun, 5 months ago

I'm not going to comment on the specific cameras.

Only you know what you like and dislike in a camera, only you know what kind of images you want to shoot.

Only you can make the decision.

If you are so easily swayed, you need to go back to basics.

JamesRL's gear list:JamesRL's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,603Gear list
Like?

fuma4fun wrote:

Hey everyone,

I am going to buy my first DSLR. I zeroed in on the Canon 600d, but someone just confused me with the Sony A58. Can someone clear up this for me?

Also, if i go for Sony will the lens be costly if I plan to buy additional ones later.

Hello.

Not that easy to solve.

Canon with its lower model is propably price/performance ratio king. Beast to say. But, it is kinda conservative and uses a bit older technology.

Sony uses better things, but also wants much more money. So one should know if he is willing to pay for those, or not. If you donĀ“t know what to do and how to decide, you propably simply are not prepared to make a good decision. Everybody has different needs and tastes, and it looks like you need to shape yours first. This costs money

That way me being you, I´d go cheaper and see later, what you miss, what do you need. 600D seems like good choice here. Also go to shop and try these in your hands, how those handle and how easy and ligical is camera setup and settings change for you. It can make great difference.

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
baloo_buc
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,917Gear list
Like?

Both are at par with high ISO (Canon with the sensor and Sony with the design). The deciding factor is the lens you can buy for each system (quality, availability and price). Sony A58 was manufactured to be all plastic (even the mount is plastic) to cut costs.

I had a Sony P&S and Canon P&S. The IQ of Canon was obviously better even if they used the same sensor. The processing and the lens made the difference.

baloo_buc's gear list:baloo_buc's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D5100 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +12 more
Pixel Pooper
Regular MemberPosts: 203Gear list
Like?

The biggest difference between the two is optical vs electronic viewfinder, but entry level optical viewfinders aren't that great and you have to put up with a lot of compromises. The electronic viewfinder brings with it all of the advantages of the SLT technology including useable AF during live view and video. Personally, I would get the A58, but I already have one so im probably biased.

Pixel Pooper's gear list:Pixel Pooper's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
Pixel Pooper
Regular MemberPosts: 203Gear list
Like?
In reply to crashpc, 5 months ago

crashpc wrote:

Sony uses better things, but also wants much more money. So one should know if he is willing to pay for those, or not.

The Sony A58 kit is $120.00 cheaper than the 600D kit on B&H.

Pixel Pooper's gear list:Pixel Pooper's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 4,221Gear list
Like?

If starting out I would go for Canon or Nikon (or Pentax if environmental sealing is desired).

Canon and Nikon are the biggest systems and Pentax has some very good and bright OVF's and sealing at relatively low cost.

So between the two: 600D.

Regarding advice for lenses that is pretty hard to do so. Because you don't know what interest you will have shooting in one or two years from now (macro, tilt shift, supertele or stick with the kitlens).

The 600D is a safe bet imho.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
BarnET
Senior MemberPosts: 1,861Gear list
Like?

fuma4fun wrote:

Hey everyone,

Sony is not an dslr it's an SLT. which means it has a larger but slower EVF viewfinder

I don't think either is an good buy when looking at amazon india

600D (old parts but proven not up to date performance) 31K in your currency

D3200 (better sensor but a bit crippled) 25k

D5100 (same age as the canon but slightly better sensor) 25k

Pentax K500(much better handling body with bigger viewfinder and more controls) 27k

100d 45K nothing here is worth that much more

The D5100 would be my pick.

tilty screen over the D3200 and bracketing seal the deal.

nandbytes
Senior MemberPosts: 3,756Gear list
Like?

sony makes better sensors. canon is still waiting on their old APS-C sensor upgrade.

canon has better lenses+selection. Unless you want certain niche lenses (which by the way are normally expensive), sony has it pretty well covered too.

All in all I wouldn't worry about which one to buy especially based on lenses.

Basically what you need to consider is the EVF vs. OVF. There are people who swear by one or the other (me being EVF), so I suggest you into this before making your decision.

just make your decision more confusing, have you considered mirrorless options?

-- hide signature --

Focus on what you have, not on what you don't.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nandbytes/

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony a77 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +5 more
McQuestion
Regular MemberPosts: 397Gear list
Like?

fuma4fun wrote:

Hey everyone,

It gets confusing, and it's a commitment, so it's understandable if you've got some doubts.

I don't think cost for lenses will be an issue.

I like the Canon because of the way the screen flips out to the side.

I like the Sony because of the in body stabilization and live view electronic viewfinder.

I like the Pentax because of the weather sealing and in camera filters, with live view on the screen.

They all have their quirks. It's almost more confusing than buying a car, but in the end they all do pretty much the same thing.

What in particular are you interested in doing?

McQuestion's gear list:McQuestion's gear list
Pentax Q10 Sony a6000 Pentax 02 Standard Zoom Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
Alphoid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,757
Like?
+1 Sony

Of the two, I tend to recommend the Sony. Pros:

• Much better automatic modes.
  • Better to learn on. You can preview exposure in manual modes, and review accurately with EVF
  • Less crippled. Canon and Nikon tend to cripple low-end offerings a lot to avoid cannibalizing high-end sales. Sony does it a fair bit too, but less. A few brands, like Pentax, compete more with Canon and Nikon, so don't do it at all.
  • Image stabilization is in the body. That's nice. You can shoot wide aperture lenses stabilized.

Lens cost and selection is comparable -- Canon has more lenses, but Sony has more useful lenses in their respective lineups. In the end, it's a wash, and it depends on what you're doing. Both are more than adequate for most users.

Upside of the Canon is many prefer an optical viewfinder. I'm not a big fan of optical anymore -- electronic has gotten quite good, and the Canon has a dim and tiny optical viewfinder. I don't like optical until I hit something like a Canon 6D or 5DIII. If I did a lot of sports, I'd definitely prefer optical. I also prefer Canon's colors, personally.

TTMartin
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,662Gear list
Like?

fuma4fun wrote:

Hey everyone,

All current dSLRs offer excellent image quality. Any difference in sensors or megapixels will be far overshadowed by the photographer and factors.

Get the camera that has the features, menu interface, and feels best for you to use.

In many cases yes.

Canon has really upped the playing field with their new line of STM lenses. They offer image quality on par with first generation pro L lenses from just a few years ago, at kit lens prices.

-- hide signature --

All statements in my posts represent my interpretation of data, research opinion or viewpoints.
The opinions expressed are not representations of fact, and are subject to change without notice.
All images are used for educational purposes.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D +24 more
Sir Canon
Regular MemberPosts: 473Gear list
Like?

imo id get canon just for their large assortment of lenses and the people who have a collection of their top shelf L lenses. who knows you may run into someone who really wants you to succeed and dosent mind lending you a lens now and then because they have another lens that covers the focal legnth.

Sir Canon's gear list:Sir Canon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 Canon EOS 350D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +2 more
thebustos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,133Gear list
Like?

fuma4fun wrote:

Hey everyone,

Well the main difference between the two is that the 600D uses an optical viewfinder (OVF) and the A58 uses an electronic viewfinder (EVF). This is because of their designs.

The 600D has a mirror which reflects the image coming through the lens up into a viewfinder so that you can frame your image. When you press the shutter, the mirror flips up to expose the sensor making your image, then flips back down so that you can frame the next shot. DSLRs like this use a combination of contrast detection AF (CDAF) which is slower and phase detection AF (PDAF) which is faster. When you shoot in live view (using the rear LCD) or shoot video the mirror has to be locked up to expose the sensor. Since the mechanism that provides them with PDAF requires the mirror to be down, DSLRs have slower auto focusing when shooting video or in live view.

The A58 has a fixed semi-silvered mirror that directs a portion of the light coming through the lens to a dedicated PDAF sensor and allows the rest to pass through to the main sensor. The EVF and rear LCD get an image feed from the main sensor so they are continually operating in live view, but unlike a DSLR their auto focus doesn't slow down no matter which you use.

Between the two, image quality should be about the same or slightly better with the Sony.

For continuous shooting, the 600D has a slower frame rate but a deeper buffer (meaning you can take more in a row) when shooting JPEGs. If shooting RAW or RAW +JPEG, the Sony is faster but both cameras have about the same buffers.

The auto focus systems are probably very close in performance, but the Sony will do significantly better if you're using the rear LCD.

For manual focusing, the A58 has focus peaking which shows you an outline of high contrast "in-focus" areas of the image so you can get an idea of what is in focus. This is available in the EVF and rear LCD. With the 600D, you can load magic lantern onto the camera to get this feature, but it's only available with the rear LCD.

Things might come down to the differences you get between an OVF and EVF and which you prefer.

With an EVF you see what the sensor sees. So if your image is going to be over or underexposed you can see it before you take the shot. You can also see the effects of your white balance settings which will effect your images color, before you take the shot. You also can use focus peaking in the EVF. With an EVF you see 100% of the frame.

With an OVF you see what the lens sees. You can see if your image is going to be over or underexposed with the EV scale in the OVF. However this relies on your cameras built in meter only, and may not reflect what your finale image will be, including white balance settings. Lower end DSLRs usually use a penta-mirror OVF which offers 95% coverage, meaning you only see 95% of the final image through the viewfinder. Pentaprism OVFs will usually offer 100% coverage but are usually found in advanced DSLRs, with the exception of Pentax which usually includes them in their entry level models as well. However EVFs often have a certain refresh rate whereas OVFs do not.

Between the two you can't really go wrong with either. Which one you'll be happy with just depends on your preferences.

When you hold the camera, there is a little bit of instability simply from holding it. To combat this both Sony and Canon (as well as others) offer image stabilization. Canon uses this in their lenses (IS= image stabilization), where as Sony uses this in their camera bodies. So image stabilization is only available with some Canon lenses whereas it's available for any lens you use on a Sony body.

Some examples in US price differences:

• Sony 55-200mm f/4-5.6 SAM $200
  • Sony 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6 SAM $300
  • Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II $300
  • Sony 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 SAM $500
  • Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS $500
  • Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM $170
  • Canon 50mm f/1.8 II $125

It can be a bit difficult to compare similar lenses between the two because Canon uses a 1.6x crop factor with their APS-C cameras and Sony (as well as Pentax and Nikon) use a 1.5x crop factor.

So for instance a 50mm lens on a Canon APS-C gives you a narrow view similar to what an 80mm lens would give you on a full frame camera. On Sony it gives you a view similar to a 75mm lens on a full frame camera. So lenses will give you a little bit of a wider view on Sony, Pentax, or Nikon APS-C cameras compared to Canon APS-C. Whether or not that matters just depends on what you want.

Cheap alternatives with Sony are Minolta AF lenses. Sony took over Minolta's camera division in 2006 and still use the same mount as minolta's AF lenses (the A-mount). A lot of Sony users use Minolta lenses because some can be found used in good condition really cheaply.

Hope this gives you some more information.

-- hide signature --

Good luck and happy shooting!

thebustos's gear list:thebustos's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +9 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
hdr
hdr
Senior MemberPosts: 1,805Gear list
Like?

fuma4fun wrote:

Hey everyone,

If you've zeroed in on the Canon, I wonder why you should be side-tracked by anyone.

The Canon is a good choice especially if you are serious about mastering photography. That camera should last you many many years, even a lifetime if you would squeeze the most out of that superb camera.

-- hide signature --

Depth has been the mizzing dimenzion for long enough. But still, few are bothered with 3D.
My favourite 3D-pair site:- http://www.SingaporeGallery.com

crashpc
Like?
In reply to Pixel Pooper, 5 months ago

Pixel Pooper wrote:

crashpc wrote:

Sony uses better things, but also wants much more money. So one should know if he is willing to pay for those, or not.

The Sony A58 kit is $120.00 cheaper than the 600D kit on B&H.

Wow, didn´t see that. Sony is used to be ridiculously more expensive in our country, but this kit is also cheaper here. Cool!

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

thebustos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,133Gear list
Like?
In reply to crashpc, 5 months ago

The A65 was is usually only about $50 more than the 600D kit. In most a lot of cases they have about the same prices or less as Canon and Nikon.
--
Good luck and happy shooting!

thebustos's gear list:thebustos's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +9 more
crashpc
Like?
In reply to thebustos, 5 months ago

Here (Czech Rep.)we have greater difference. About $275 for Canon and Sony A65 kits. Sony really can be expensive here at times...

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

Biker Jun
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?

What is it about the Sony A58 that made you consider it? That might help us help you make the decision. Otherwise, we're just guessing.

Biker Jun's gear list:Biker Jun's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +7 more
TTMartin
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,662Gear list
Like?
In reply to baloo_buc, 5 months ago

baloo_buc wrote:

Both are at par with high ISO (Canon with the sensor and Sony with the design). The deciding factor is the lens you can buy for each system (quality, availability and price). Sony A58 was manufactured to be all plastic (even the mount is plastic) to cut costs.

While I can understand a plastic mount on a small lens. A plastic mount on a camera makes no sense at all. It severely limits the size of the lens I would be comfortable using.

While not as much an issue for really big lenses like my 6 lb, 120-300 f/2.8, as those are designed so you carry the lens, instead of the camera.

It is the more common mid-range lenses that become a concern. I wouldn't want to mount a 70-200 f/2.8 which is a very common lens on a plastic mount.

The plastic mount on the camera is a total deal breaker for me.

I had a Sony P&S and Canon P&S. The IQ of Canon was obviously better even if they used the same sensor. The processing and the lens made the difference.

-- hide signature --

All statements in my posts represent my interpretation of data, research opinion or viewpoints.
The opinions expressed are not representations of fact, and are subject to change without notice.
All images are used for educational purposes.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads