My take on the Quattro after using one...

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Apsphoto
Regular MemberPosts: 339Gear list
Like?
My take on the Quattro after using one...
5 months ago

I got one of the Quattro cameras during the first week of the try before you buy program. I had not used the Merrills but I have always been intrigued with the resolution claims and also the images. I found the camera to really be a niche camera, it definitely has some quirks, the software needs some refining. The camera is not for the point and shoot crowd, even though it looks like it should. The raw software is a bit buggy and slow. The camera is a bit slow and deliberate, but the resolution and IQ are great. My write up is here on my blog:

http://www.aps-photo.com/2014/07/sigma-dp2-quattro-high-resolution-niche-camera/

Thanks,

Alan

-- hide signature --

Alan Smallbone
Orange county, CA

Apsphoto's gear list:Apsphoto's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Quattro Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-T1
PrebenR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,729
Like?
Re: My take on the Quattro after using one...
In reply to Apsphoto, 5 months ago

Apsphoto wrote:

The camera is a bit slow and deliberate, but the resolution and IQ are great.

The funny point is that we that have used Sigma cameras for some time, find it fast

-- hide signature --

Out lightwriting with Sigma
«Kaos»

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
larryj
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,923Gear list
Like?

Thanks Alan: I enjoyed reading your blog entry, your summary mirrors my take on the Q . I also was a tester of the DP2Q and wished I had had more time to fine tune a shooting approach and develop a proper workflow.  I am a long time Sigma user and think this new camera is a work in progress. Updates to the firmware and software will improve the package over the next few months. I think the finished Q will be a winner.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
larryj
If you can see the light, you can photograph it
Quote from Myron Woods

larryj's gear list:larryj's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM +1 more
jennyrae
Senior MemberPosts: 2,183Gear list
Like?
In reply to PrebenR, 5 months ago

maybe he refer to typical P&S camera speed.

ArneMarco
Senior MemberPosts: 1,735
Like?

Thank you, nice and well written ... I got the OFV today. It makes it easier to compose. But it seems that I get a slightly bigger picture than the frame lines in the VF indicate. So if I want to get exact the same photos as I see within the frames of the VF, I will have to make a little cropping.

-- hide signature --
Johan Borg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003
Like?

Nice writeup, but a couple of things I discovered lately, in part I must admit by reading the manual

• In addition to the 9 predefined focus points, you have one free-moving point that can be placed in most of the frame and all focus points have 3 selectable sizes.
  • There are 4 customizable review modes, one of which includes a histogram. This mode is there by default from the factory, just press the Display button a few times to cycle through the modes.
  • There is a blown highlight indicator and the center button can be configured to turn the blinking on and off.
  • There is an optional electronic shutter release that plugs into the USB port (CR-31).
PrebenR
Like?
In reply to jennyrae, 5 months ago

jennyrae wrote:

maybe he refer to typical P&S camera speed.

Sure I used my wife's E-M5 to take some snaps when we were on vacation, and it is so much faster that I just got stressed

But my point is that when you are used to snails a turtle may look like a race car.

-- hide signature --

«Kaos»

Apsphoto
Regular MemberPosts: 339Gear list
Like?
In reply to Johan Borg, 5 months ago

Thanks everyone for the comments and clarifications. Johan, thanks for that information. I glanced at the manual but I did not read through the whole thing. Thanks for the corrections. I wish I had more time with it, 5 days was just not enough time and I had to work as well.

Alan

-- hide signature --

Alan Smallbone
Orange county, CA

Apsphoto's gear list:Apsphoto's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Quattro Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-T1
PrebenR
Like?
In reply to Johan Borg, 5 months ago

Johan Borg wrote:

Nice writeup, but a couple of things I discovered lately, in part I must admit by reading the manual

• In addition to the 9 predefined focus points, you have one free-moving point that can be placed in most of the frame and all focus points have 3 selectable sizes.
  • There are 4 customizable review modes, one of which includes a histogram. This mode is there by default from the factory, just press the Display button a few times to cycle through the modes.
  • There is a blown highlight indicator and the center button can be configured to turn the blinking on and off.
  • There is an optional electronic shutter release that plugs into the USB port (CR-31).

And a tip for the AF assist light: use the middle point to focus, not the edges as the light is not wide enough to cover all the focus points.

-- hide signature --

«Kaos»

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads