LUMIX G X PZ 14-42mm or LUMIX G 12-32mm

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Polariser
Regular MemberPosts: 403Gear list
Like?
LUMIX G X PZ 14-42mm or LUMIX G 12-32mm
3 months ago

Which is better:

LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. POWER O.I.S.

or

LUMIX G VARIO 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. MEGA O.I.S.

And what is the difference between POWER OIS and MEGA OIS?

Polariser's gear list:Polariser's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +9 more
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,619Gear list
Like?
Re: LUMIX G X PZ 14-42mm or LUMIX G 12-32mm
In reply to Polariser, 3 months ago

Polariser wrote:

Which is better:

NO!

YES!

Marketing.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chas2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,319Gear list
Like?

Polariser wrote:

Which is better:

or

Second question first, MEGA OIS is the first optical image stabilization system introduced by Panasonic with in 2008.  Power OIS is supposedly an improved version introduced with their X lenses.

First question, depends on your preferences.  For me, I think 12 is more useful than 14, and I would take that over extra 10 mm offered by the 14-42.  But that is because i have an Olympus 45 mm.  Two mm does not seem to be much, but at the wide end, the 24 mm equivalent is way more useful than the 28 mm equivalent, but that is MY preference.

Chas2's gear list:Chas2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +17 more
Polariser
Regular MemberPosts: 403Gear list
Like?
In reply to jeffharris, 3 months ago

jeffharris wrote:

Polariser wrote:

Which is better:

NO!

YES!

Marketing.

Thanks!

Why do you say the 12-35 is better? Wider? Better IQ? No Blur at tele end?

I want a small zoom pancake to slap on my EM5 … Just found that Oly has a similar lens (Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ) as well. You don't know how that compares do you?

Polariser's gear list:Polariser's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +9 more
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,340Gear list
Like?
Define better and just maybe then you will get an answer.

That's always the problem when comparing lenses with different focal lengths. Both 12-32 and 14-42 are useful ranges but for some people having 12 at the wide end is more important and for some having more at the long end is more important. For some the operation through a ring versus a lever is the deciding factor. For others the availability of the X-Cap for the 14-42X (from freemod) is more important. For some the small size difference (12-32 is smaller) is important. For many the sharpness is important but there copy variation is probably greater than model variation.

So the one that fits YOUR priorities is the best FOR YOU.

BTW: I am a happy 14-42X user.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,619Gear list
Like?

Polariser wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

Polariser wrote:

Which is better:

NO!

YES!

Marketing.

Thanks!

Why do you say the 12-35 is better? Wider? Better IQ? No Blur at tele end?

I had a PZ 14-42mm briefly but returned it for several reasons. Mainly, it had shutter shock problems on my GX1. It just wasn't that sharp and I really disliked the way it collapsed… it was necessary to shut off the camera for the lens to retract in order to change lenses. I generally leave the camera on all the time. SO, it's only small when the camera is off. It's also overpriced for what it is. Clearly, I just didn't like it. I got a Panasonic 14-42mm II instead, but had the 12-32mm been available at the time, I would have bought it instead.

I've tried the 12-32mm a few times and really liked it. I prefer 12mm to 14mm, it's quite sharp and I liked the way it renders, too.

I want a small zoom pancake to slap on my EM5 … Just found that Oly has a similar lens (Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ) as well. You don't know how that compares do you?

No, sorry.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 3,794Gear list
Like?

Polariser wrote:

Which is better:

or

One potential advantage for a power zoom lens (may not apply to your current camera) is the power zoom enables zooming control when shooting remote control via WiFi (OK depends on how well the WiFi app is done, or whether the camera FW allows this, but without power zoom you don't have the zooming possibility at all). Drone shooting, planting a camera close to a bird's nest, etc. could all benefit.

With a mechanical zoom you need to build a zooming control contraption yourself, which could be quite challenging for the majority of photographers.

LMNCT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,879Gear list
Like?
In reply to tt321, 3 months ago

If I remember correctly the 14-42 PZ and 45-175 PZ were both designed especially for video, hence the smooth transition from wide to long.  I have both and have never had a problem with either.  I also have the 12-32 and think that it is a great little, lightweight lens.

LMNCT's gear list:LMNCT's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +17 more
Paul Kersey Photography
Regular MemberPosts: 290Gear list
Like?

Polariser wrote:

Which is better:

or

I suggest taking a read of 12-32 review at slrgear.com and you will learn more than what is being offered here.

Paul Kersey Photography's gear list:Paul Kersey Photography's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS M
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads