Sensor sizes

Started 4 months ago | Questions
jimbrobb
Regular MemberPosts: 447
Like?
Sensor sizes
4 months ago

Hi,

Looking at the new Panasonic fz1000 and the sensor is described as 1".

Is that 1 inch?

Where do they get this from as it's about 13 by 7 mm. Making the diagonal about 15mm.

Also, why is the four thirds cameras described as such.

Jim

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Tony8232
Contributing MemberPosts: 976Gear list
Like?
Re: Sensor sizes
In reply to jimbrobb, 4 months ago

jimbrobb wrote:

Hi,

Looking at the new Panasonic fz1000 and the sensor is described as 1".

Is that 1 inch?

Where do they get this from as it's about 13 by 7 mm. Making the diagonal about 15mm.

Jim

I love to know also.

Tony8232's gear list:Tony8232's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
boxerman
Contributing MemberPosts: 690Gear list
Like?

This is where some of those incredibly boring historical accidents have become a permanent feature of "modern" specs. In this case, sensor sizes were modeled on (TV) tube technology, where the sensibly active area of the tube is about 2/3 of the outside diameter (OD) of the tube. (Using the edge of the tube I assume would introduce shape artifacts from rounding, or possibly pose manufacturing problems.) So, a 1" sensor means one inch, but that refers to the OD of the (nonexistent) tube that might contain an active area the same as that sensor.  SO...

jimbrobb wrote:

Looking at the new Panasonic fz1000 and the sensor is described as 1". Is that 1 inch?

Yup, but it's the OD of the non-existent tube. So, the ACTUAL sensor is about 2/3s of that, which is about 16mm. Close enough (to 15 mm you computed) for jazz.

Same deal. 4/3 of an inch. But, that refers to the nonexistent tube, so the sensor is actually about 2/3 of that, or about 22.5 mm.

You can read about it here:

Sensor Sizes

-- hide signature --

The BoxerMan

boxerman's gear list:boxerman's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +1 more
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,998Gear list
Like?

You can find the answer and dimensions via wikipedia.

I'm more interesting to understand relations between pound, shilling, and pence

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,552Gear list
Like?
In reply to s_grins, 4 months ago

240/12/1

BTW unless you understand half crowns you're not even trying (12.5p today, except we don't have half-pennies any more).

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +25 more
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 3,991Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dr_Jon, 4 months ago

Dr_Jon wrote:

240/12/1

BTW unless you understand half crowns you're not even trying (12.5p today, except we don't have half-pennies any more).

We might yet lose the whole pence, never mind the half. And the crown coin is now 5 quid.

s_grins
Like?
In reply to tt321, 4 months ago

tt321 wrote:

Dr_Jon wrote:

240/12/1

We might yet lose the whole pence, never mind the half. And the crown coin is now 5 quid.

The more I know, the less I understand!

Thank you both

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,489
Like?

s_grins wrote:

I'm more interesting to understand relations between pound, shilling, and pence

Or that other great English mystery, the difference between the UK, England, and Britain.

s_grins
Like?
In reply to Sean Nelson, 4 months ago

Sean Nelson wrote:

s_grins wrote:

Or that other great English mystery, the difference between the UK, England, and Britain.

Sean, I'm very grateful. I've managed to understand (in general of course) the basics of the lesson.

Cheers

S.

-- hide signature --

Sean Nelson
Like?

s_grins wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

s_grins wrote:

Sean, I'm very grateful. I've managed to understand (in general of course) the basics of the lesson.

Don't thank me, thank C.G.P. Grey - he's the fellow who put that explanation together.  It's the clearest explanation I've seen, although it's just convoluted enough that I've usually forgotten almost everything about it by the next day...

GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,497Gear list
Like?

Sean Nelson wrote:

s_grins wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

s_grins wrote:

Sean, I'm very grateful. I've managed to understand (in general of course) the basics of the lesson.

Don't thank me, thank C.G.P. Grey - he's the fellow who put that explanation together. It's the clearest explanation I've seen, although it's just convoluted enough that I've usually forgotten almost everything about it by the next day...

Yes, a good explanation.

I think.

I am severely affected by this:

I've usually forgotten almost everything about it by the next day...

What was the topic again?

(You, too, will recognize the symptoms in another 3-4 decades when you get to be a really old f@rt, like me!)

T

PS  I still have trouble with gas mileage for my truck: MPUSG, MPIG, litres/100km etc.   I do know that the CADs/Fill-up are increasing monotonically and quickly.

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
Olymore
Senior MemberPosts: 1,170Gear list
Like?

The only important bits to remember are that the other countries don't like England. 

Don't go to Scotland, Wales and (parts of) Northern Ireland and refer to the natives as English as we tend to get hostile.

Some parts of Northern Ireland are very very proud to be part of the United Kingdom though and some parts are very very unhappy that they are not part of the Republic of Ireland.

The Scots are very happy to be friendly to anybody who are hostile to the English.

Most parts of Wales ditto, apart from the parts that are very nearly part of England which are indifferent to the whole country business.

In addition the people in North Wales think the people in South Wales are practically English anyway.

And the people in the West of Scotland dislike the people in the East of Scotland or more specifically the people in Glasgow dislike the people in Edinburgh and think the Edinburgh people think they are superior to people in other parts of Scotland

Finally everyone outside the the South East of England doesn't like London, including most parts of England.

It's quite simple really.

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people.
Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,552Gear list
Like?
In reply to Olymore, 4 months ago

So basically rather than Scotland voting in September the M25 enclosed area (i.e. Greater London) should go for independence and then everyone else will be much happier?

John

(Writing in West London )

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +25 more
ScottyA
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?

Sean Nelson wrote:

s_grins wrote:

A Kingdom (Queendom?), one of its Countries, and the main Island.

ScottyA's gear list:ScottyA's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1
ScottyA
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?
In reply to boxerman, 4 months ago

Same deal. 4/3 of an inch. But, that refers to the nonexistent tube, so the sensor is actually about 2/3 of that, or about 22.5 mm.

Actually, 4/3 refers to the aspect ratio of the sensor.

ScottyA's gear list:ScottyA's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1
Olymore
Senior MemberPosts: 1,170Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dr_Jon, 4 months ago

You may be on to something there

Though having just watched the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony people were even cheering the English team. Probably just being polite....

As someone who's parents came from London, was born in Wales and brought up in Scotland I like to think of myself as a citizen of the British commonwealth.

I just think we would get on better if it was a commonwealth rather than one (political) nation.

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people.
Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Sean Nelson
Like?
In reply to Olymore, 4 months ago

Olymore wrote:

Though having just watched the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony people were even cheering the English team. Probably just being polite....

You have to check out John Oliver's Last Week Tonight piece on the Commonwealth games.   I'm a citizen of the Commonwealth too (specifically: Canada), but I have to admit that it's pretty funny.

boxerman
Like?
In reply to ScottyA, 4 months ago

ScottyA wrote:

Actually, 4/3 refers to the aspect ratio of the sensor.

Nope, it's size. 4/3s as an aspect ratio does not distinguish 4/3 sensors from virtually ANY sensor smaller than an APS C (which is 3/2 aspect ratio). All those sensors are 4/3 in aspect ratio. Funny way to name a sensor: characterize it in a way that does not distinguish it in any way from slews of other sensors.

You should really check your technical facts before writing. I do. Check the link I posted, or google, or check Wikipedia. The link I posted has a chart of "sensor sizes" (!), and they are even labeled inches ("). I guess the person who applauded your comment did not bother to check, either.

-- hide signature --

The BoxerMan

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +1 more
joergzielosko
Regular MemberPosts: 290Gear list
Like?
In reply to boxerman, 4 months ago

boxerman wrote:

Check the link I posted, or google, or check Wikipedia.

Or check the official source of information on Four Thirds: http://four-thirds.org:

"Among the main aspects of the standard, it had already been determined that the size of the image sensor would be 4/3."

joergzielosko's gear list:joergzielosko's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +9 more
boxerman
Like?
In reply to joergzielosko, 4 months ago

joergzielosko wrote:

Or check the official source of information on Four Thirds: http://four-thirds.org:

"Among the main aspects of the standard, it had already been determined that the size of the image sensor would be 4/3."

Good point. Sometimes it's worth evaluating the quality of the source, too. I've seen crap on Wikipedia, but normally, it's pretty good.

-- hide signature --

The BoxerMan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads