The difference between liberal and conservative

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
mamallama
Forum ProPosts: 31,997Gear list
Like?
Re: The difference between liberal and conservative
In reply to Edification, 3 months ago

Edification wrote:

RobertSigmund wrote:

so how do you reconcile this with the fact that republicans give more to charity than democrats?

They count giving to a church as charity.

That is how Romney showed in his tax returns. He tithe 10% to the Mormon Church.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
57even
Senior MemberPosts: 5,852Gear list
Like?
Anyone who assigns a label to themself...
In reply to RobertSigmund, 3 months ago

....is not a free thinker.

 57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lylejk
Forum ProPosts: 21,578Gear list
Like?
Re: The difference between liberal and conservative
In reply to RobertSigmund, 3 months ago

Conservative:   I buy my own condoms.

Liberal:  You (the American citizens) will subsidize my sex life.

Conservative Libertarian:  I buy my own condoms and US stay out of my bedroom.

-- hide signature --

my avatar
Psalm 109:8
To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary.
To one without faith, no explanation is possible".
~Thomas Aquinas

 lylejk's gear list:lylejk's gear list
Leica V-LUX 1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Edification
Contributing MemberPosts: 968Gear list
Like?
Re: The difference between liberal and conservative
In reply to mamallama, 3 months ago

mamallama wrote:

Edification wrote:

RobertSigmund wrote:

so how do you reconcile this with the fact that republicans give more to charity than democrats?

They count giving to a church as charity.

and churches in turn help the poor, many run food banks, one of the churches locally gives away free food every wednesday to anyone who goes to the church parking lot - you don't have to belong to the church or even believe in god - just show up and they will give you a car full of nonperishable food every single week

do you seriously think that churches just use charitable donations to run the church?

That is how Romney showed in his tax returns. He tithe 10% to the Mormon Church.

-- hide signature --

Ed

 Edification's gear list:Edification's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brian
Forum ProPosts: 11,114
Like?
Re: The difference between liberal and conservative
In reply to Edification, 3 months ago

Edification wrote:

mamallama wrote:

Edification wrote:

RobertSigmund wrote:

so how do you reconcile this with the fact that republicans give more to charity than democrats?

They count giving to a church as charity.

and churches in turn help the poor, many run food banks, one of the churches locally gives away free food every wednesday to anyone who goes to the church parking lot - you don't have to belong to the church or even believe in god - just show up and they will give you a car full of nonperishable food every single week

do you seriously think that churches just meet charitable donations to run the church?

That is how Romney showed in his tax returns. He tithe 10% to the Mormon Church.

-- hide signature --

Ed

uh oh, mama is going to come back with the "it's only to get new members" line.  As a conservative you aren't allowed to just give, you have to give with a dark secret motive.....

liberals... now they don't have any ulterior motives for increasing food stamps and such, cause they are just nice guys.

-- hide signature --

Brian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mentor3
Regular MemberPosts: 308
Like?
Re: The difference between liberal and conservative
In reply to lylejk, 3 months ago

lylejk wrote:

Conservative: I buy my own condoms.

Liberal: You (the American citizens) will subsidize my sex life.

Conservative Libertarian: I buy my own condoms and US stay out of my bedroom.

-- hide signature --

my avatar
Psalm 109:8
To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary.
To one without faith, no explanation is possible".
~Thomas Aquinas

It's really sad that your fathers condom broke.

-- hide signature --

May The Light Be With You
Stupid should hurt
Stop global whining
Keep your business in town to keep your town in business.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Edification
Contributing MemberPosts: 968Gear list
Like?
Re: The difference between liberal and conservative
In reply to Brian, 3 months ago

Brian wrote:

Edification wrote:

mamallama wrote:

Edification wrote:

RobertSigmund wrote:

so how do you reconcile this with the fact that republicans give more to charity than democrats?

They count giving to a church as charity.

and churches in turn help the poor, many run food banks, one of the churches locally gives away free food every wednesday to anyone who goes to the church parking lot - you don't have to belong to the church or even believe in god - just show up and they will give you a car full of nonperishable food every single week

do you seriously think that churches just meet charitable donations to run the church?

That is how Romney showed in his tax returns. He tithe 10% to the Mormon Church.

-- hide signature --

Ed

uh oh, mama is going to come back with the "it's only to get new members" line. As a conservative you aren't allowed to just give, you have to give with a dark secret motive.....

liberals... now they don't have any ulterior motives for increasing food stamps and such, cause they are just nice guys.

-- hide signature --

Brian

I wonder how many of these people who say giving to churches doesn't count realize that Habitat for Humanity is a Christian organization

Habitat for Humanity: a Christian ministry

fact is most of the big charitable organizations that house and feed the homeless are religious

but to some people giving to them apparently doesn't count because they religious

-- hide signature --

Ed

 Edification's gear list:Edification's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brian
Forum ProPosts: 11,114
Like?
Re: The difference between liberal and conservative
In reply to Edification, 3 months ago

Edification wrote:

Brian wrote:

Edification wrote:

mamallama wrote:

Edification wrote:

RobertSigmund wrote:

so how do you reconcile this with the fact that republicans give more to charity than democrats?

They count giving to a church as charity.

and churches in turn help the poor, many run food banks, one of the churches locally gives away free food every wednesday to anyone who goes to the church parking lot - you don't have to belong to the church or even believe in god - just show up and they will give you a car full of nonperishable food every single week

do you seriously think that churches just meet charitable donations to run the church?

That is how Romney showed in his tax returns. He tithe 10% to the Mormon Church.

-- hide signature --

Ed

uh oh, mama is going to come back with the "it's only to get new members" line. As a conservative you aren't allowed to just give, you have to give with a dark secret motive.....

liberals... now they don't have any ulterior motives for increasing food stamps and such, cause they are just nice guys.

-- hide signature --

Brian

I wonder how many of these people who say giving to churches doesn't count realize that Habitat for Humanity is a Christian organization

Habitat for Humanity: a Christian ministry

fact is most of the big charitable organizations that house and feed the homeless are religious

but to some people giving to them apparently doesn't count because they religious

-- hide signature --

Ed

For some they will never get over the ulterior motive thing.  I give and volunteer because I like to.  I don't need a church to tell me or someone to pass a tax to take it from me.  However, it was at church that I learned about giving.  I don't need someone to become Christian, I just hope what I do helps...  I give, cause it make me happy  ( there it is... my selfish motivation... how evil of me).

-- hide signature --

Brian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mamallama
Forum ProPosts: 31,997Gear list
Like?
Re: The difference between liberal and conservative
In reply to Edification, 3 months ago

Edification wrote:

mamallama wrote:

Edification wrote:

RobertSigmund wrote:

so how do you reconcile this with the fact that republicans give more to charity than democrats?

They count giving to a church as charity.

and churches in turn help the poor, many run food banks, one of the churches locally gives away free food every wednesday to anyone who goes to the church parking lot - you don't have to belong to the church or even believe in god - just show up and they will give you a car full of nonperishable food every single week

do you seriously think that churches just use charitable donations to run the church?

The percentage to actual charity is very low.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mamallama
Forum ProPosts: 31,997Gear list
Like?
Re: The difference between liberal and conservative
In reply to Brian, 3 months ago

Brian wrote:

Edification wrote:

mamallama wrote:

Edification wrote:

RobertSigmund wrote:

so how do you reconcile this with the fact that republicans give more to charity than democrats?

They count giving to a church as charity.

and churches in turn help the poor, many run food banks, one of the churches locally gives away free food every wednesday to anyone who goes to the church parking lot - you don't have to belong to the church or even believe in god - just show up and they will give you a car full of nonperishable food every single week

do you seriously think that churches just meet charitable donations to run the church?

That is how Romney showed in his tax returns. He tithe 10% to the Mormon Church.

-- hide signature --

Ed

uh oh, mama is going to come back with the "it's only to get new members" line. As a conservative you aren't allowed to just give, you have to give with a dark secret motive.....

liberals... now they don't have any ulterior motives for increasing food stamps and such, cause they are just nice guys.

-- hide signature --

Brian

I only gave my reason why Republicans seem to give more to charity even if that is disputed.

For example in total amount the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation give more to world health charities that the whole of the World Health Organization. It just depends on how you keep the books.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 23,812
Like?
Maybe...
In reply to nevada5, 3 months ago

nevada5 wrote:

If a conservative doesn’t like guns, he doesn't buy one.

If a liberal doesn't like guns, he wants all guns outlawed.

Maybe the conservative is not worried about being shot by someone who owns a gun, whereas the liberal is.

If a conservative is a vegetarian, he doesn't eat meat.

If a liberal is a vegetarian, he wants all meat products banned for everyone.

Maybe the conservative is health conscious whereas the liberal feels it's morally wrong to raise and kill animals for consumption.

If a conservative sees a foreign threat, he thinks about how to defeat his enemy.

A liberal wonders how to surrender gracefully and still look good.

Maybe a conservative invents a foreign thread (e.g. WMD's in Iraq) to start a war, and a liberal gets stuck in the mess because the war was not well planned.

If a conservative is homosexual, he quietly leads his life.

If a liberal is homosexual, he demands legislated respect.

Maybe the conservative homosexual is unconcerned about coverage under their partner's medical insurance or ability to make medical decisions for their partner when their partner is unable, whereas the liberal homosexual is concerned.

If a person of color is conservative, they see themselves as independently successful.

Their liberal counterparts see themselves as victims in need of government protection.

Maybe there's something going on that minorities hold disproportionately less wealth than white men:

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2011/07/26/wealth-gaps-rise-to-record-highs-between-whites-blacks-hispanics/

If a conservative is down-and-out, he thinks about how to better his situation.

A liberal wonders who is going to take care of him.

Maybe conservatives have figured out that corporate welfare pays a helluva lot more than social welfare.

If a conservative doesn’t like a talk show host, he switches channels.

Liberals demand that those they don’t like be shut down.

Maybe it's more like this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/05/rnc-hillary-clinton_n_3708062.html

The Republican National Committee on Monday threatened not to partner with NBC and CNN for the 2016 GOP primary debates if the networks don't cancel their plans to air documentaries on Hillary Clinton.

If a conservative is a non-believer, he doesn’t go to church.

A liberal non-believer wants any mention of God and religion silenced. (Unless it’s a foreign religion, of course!)

Maybe liberal non-believers are afraid of this:

http://atheism.about.com/od/Church-State-Survey-Polls/a/Republicans-Want-Christianity-Official-Religion-States.htm

According to 2013 poll by YouGov, theocracy is popular in the United States. Slightly more than a third of all Americans would like to see Christianity made the official religion of their state; this is more popular among Republicans, older people, and those with just a high school education. Over half of Republicans support such a policy, with nearly half of older people and those with just a high school education following.

Well over half of Americans, though, think that would be unconstitutional - even including most Republicans. Fortunately, the numbers of those who express strong opposition to the establishment of any official religion at any level are generally higher than all those who express any support for it. Nevertheless, the overall amount of support is still quite high - high enough that it creates a significant problem for the maintenance of a secular state.

When people ask why some atheists are so vehement in their criticisms of Christianity and/or in their defense of church/state separation, this is why. It may not be the case that a majority of Christians want American states to become theocratic, but a majority of some groups do and a significant percentage of people generally do. How can people's simple belief in God or religious faith hurt others? This is how.

If a conservative decides he needs healthcare, he goes about shopping for it, or may choose a job that provides it.

A liberal demands that the rest of us pay for his.

Maybe a liberal is concerned that many people cannot afford and/or get healthcare, including many people who are working.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Werderano
Senior MemberPosts: 1,567
Like?
Re: The difference between liberal and conservative
In reply to RobertSigmund, 3 months ago

My impression is that the "conservative" way (survival of the fittest) doesn´t work in our modern times for a society. If you compare the US with Ger or SA with Botswana, the social imbalance leads to more killings, drugs, insecurity and a lower quality of living for everyone. No Charity could really do something against the socialsplitting of a society, but at least the donors get a good feeling.

The question is, are Conservatives in the US are still in the position to realize their mistake? They are watching/reading Murdochpress and quoting "stadies" from the Cato institute, I´m not sure if they are in the situation to escape out of their propaganda world they are living in.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bonker
Regular MemberPosts: 471Gear list
Like?
Re: Liberals
In reply to lownine, 3 months ago

lownine wrote:

lownine wrote:

Bonker wrote:

Liberals possess compassion. Conservatives possess animosity. Plain and simple.

And this thread started...how?

"Oh, the ironing is delicious." -- Bart Simpson

You must believe I said something I did not. Please reread and understand the words apart from your bias.

Edit: Nevermined. I'll explain it to you. Liberals possess(own) compassion. We are the stewards. It is possible for conservatives to express compassion from time to time but they don't possess(own) it. They possess(own) animosity. Liberals are certainly capable of expressing it but it is the conservatives that possess(own) animosity. They are the stewards.

PS, I get a little kick when someone attempts to interpret my words and then fail so miserably. Cheers!

Yes, I can certainly imagine that you get kicked a lot. The irony - and I'll just lay it out for you - is that you and the OP simply ooze animosity - that horrific defining quality of the lesser beings that so disgust you - as you pontificate on your own superiority.

Send us a post card from Olympus.

One more thing. In the camps, will we have to dig our own latrines or will your compassion extend to providing plumbing?

No. I am intolerant towards animosity but speak to your kind in your own language in an attempt to teach you.

 Bonker's gear list:Bonker's gear list
Nikon D3300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II Apple iPhone 5s
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lownine
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,309
Like?
Re: Liberals
In reply to Bonker, 3 months ago

Bonker wrote:

lownine wrote:

lownine wrote:

Bonker wrote:

Liberals possess compassion. Conservatives possess animosity. Plain and simple.

And this thread started...how?

"Oh, the ironing is delicious." -- Bart Simpson

You must believe I said something I did not. Please reread and understand the words apart from your bias.

Edit: Nevermined. I'll explain it to you. Liberals possess(own) compassion. We are the stewards. It is possible for conservatives to express compassion from time to time but they don't possess(own) it. They possess(own) animosity. Liberals are certainly capable of expressing it but it is the conservatives that possess(own) animosity. They are the stewards.

PS, I get a little kick when someone attempts to interpret my words and then fail so miserably. Cheers!

Yes, I can certainly imagine that you get kicked a lot. The irony - and I'll just lay it out for you - is that you and the OP simply ooze animosity - that horrific defining quality of the lesser beings that so disgust you - as you pontificate on your own superiority.

Send us a post card from Olympus.

One more thing. In the camps, will we have to dig our own latrines or will your compassion extend to providing plumbing?

No. I am intolerant towards animosity but speak to your kind in your own language in an attempt to teach you.

So that's a "no" to the plumbing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lylejk
Forum ProPosts: 21,578Gear list
Like?
Re: The difference between liberal and conservative
In reply to Mentor3, 3 months ago

Better to be a love child then a hated one such as yourself Ments.  

-- hide signature --

my avatar
Psalm 109:8
To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary.
To one without faith, no explanation is possible".
~Thomas Aquinas

 lylejk's gear list:lylejk's gear list
Leica V-LUX 1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bonker
Regular MemberPosts: 471Gear list
Like?
Re: Liberals
In reply to lownine, 3 months ago

lownine wrote:

Bonker wrote:

lownine wrote:

lownine wrote:

Bonker wrote:

Liberals possess compassion. Conservatives possess animosity. Plain and simple.

And this thread started...how?

"Oh, the ironing is delicious." -- Bart Simpson

You must believe I said something I did not. Please reread and understand the words apart from your bias.

Edit: Nevermined. I'll explain it to you. Liberals possess(own) compassion. We are the stewards. It is possible for conservatives to express compassion from time to time but they don't possess(own) it. They possess(own) animosity. Liberals are certainly capable of expressing it but it is the conservatives that possess(own) animosity. They are the stewards.

PS, I get a little kick when someone attempts to interpret my words and then fail so miserably. Cheers!

Yes, I can certainly imagine that you get kicked a lot. The irony - and I'll just lay it out for you - is that you and the OP simply ooze animosity - that horrific defining quality of the lesser beings that so disgust you - as you pontificate on your own superiority.

Send us a post card from Olympus.

One more thing. In the camps, will we have to dig our own latrines or will your compassion extend to providing plumbing?

No. I am intolerant towards animosity but speak to your kind in your own language in an attempt to teach you.

So that's a "no" to the plumbing.

Which camps do you mean anyway? Maybe a dystopian horror show of a future based on republican values?

 Bonker's gear list:Bonker's gear list
Nikon D3300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II Apple iPhone 5s
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Elizabet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,486
Like?
Re: The difference between liberal and conservative
In reply to Edification, 3 months ago

Edification wrote:

RobertSigmund wrote:

so how do you reconcile this with the fact that republicans give more to charity than democrats?

http://www.occasionalplanet.org/2013/12/26/republicans-are-more-charitable-than-democrats-and-europeans/

http://www.ethicsdaily.com/republican-states-give-more-to-charity-than-democratic-states-cms-19923

it would seem that liberals might "care" but they dont actually do anything where as conservatives actually help

Not quite.

The big, mainstream, charities are money sinks that pay big buck to the CEO and return 10% or less to the end-charity-purpose.

So, when "big people" give to charities they are only giving to themselves and their mates anyway.

THIS.. is what big charities do:

"A charity accused of carrying out questionable fundraising activities has been struck off the charities register after a five-month investigation by the sector's regulator.

Care 4 Kids Foundation of Australia collected nearly $1 million through door-knocking, supposedly to benefit disadvantaged children who had fallen behind in school work.

However, an investigation by 7.30 revealed that the $509,180 supposedly paid to beneficiaries since 2011 had in fact been paid to two tutoring companies wholly owned by Michael O'Connor, the son of Care 4 Kids Foundation's two directors.

When 7.30 confronted Mr O'Connor about his companies' activities he said he had no knowledge of the children they supposedly tutored, or about the financial dealings of the charity.

The companies did provide some tutoring to several disabled and low-income children, via tutors in the Philippines.

However, Care 4 Kids director Michael Johnston could not explain where the bulk of the money collected had gone."

That was Australia.. the US is:

"How would you feel if you donated money to help disaster victims or cancer patients and you later found out that more than 97 percent of the money that you gave never got into the hands of the people that needed it?
Sadly, that is happening all over America today. In fact, in some of the worst cases, less than a penny of every dollar that is donated ends up in the hands of those that need the help.

If you can believe it, right now there are 6,000 charities in the United States that use for-profit companies to raise money for them, and in many of those instances the for-profit companies end up keeping more than 50 percent of the donations for themselves. In addition, many charities end up paying their employees “salaries” that are far greater than the total amount of money that the charities actually give to the needy.

The Tampa Bay Times, CNN and the Center for Investigative Reporting recently teamed up to conduct an investigation, and they came up with a list of the 50 worst charities in America.

They discovered that those charities raised more than $1.3 billion over the past ten years combined, but that nearly $1 billion of that total went to the for-profit companies that raise their donations for them. The American people are being scammed out of an enormous amount of money, and people need to learn the truth about this."

-- hide signature --

Ed

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
57even
Senior MemberPosts: 5,852Gear list
Like?
Re: The difference between liberal and conservative
In reply to lylejk, 3 months ago

lylejk wrote:

Better to be a love child then a hated one such as yourself Ments.

They loved each other at the time, but did they love you?

 57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lylejk
Forum ProPosts: 21,578Gear list
Like?
More then you will ever know and I do....
In reply to 57even, 3 months ago

...miss them both terribly.   I know I will see them again which helps me go on.   Too bad you libs have no faith and, consequently, no hope.

-- hide signature --

my avatar
Psalm 109:8
To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary.
To one without faith, no explanation is possible".
~Thomas Aquinas

 lylejk's gear list:lylejk's gear list
Leica V-LUX 1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 5,827Gear list
Like?
Re: The difference between liberal and conservative
In reply to Elizabet, 3 months ago

Elizabet wrote:

Edification wrote:

RobertSigmund wrote:

so how do you reconcile this with the fact that republicans give more to charity than democrats?

http://www.occasionalplanet.org/2013/12/26/republicans-are-more-charitable-than-democrats-and-europeans/

http://www.ethicsdaily.com/republican-states-give-more-to-charity-than-democratic-states-cms-19923

it would seem that liberals might "care" but they dont actually do anything where as conservatives actually help

Not quite.

The big, mainstream, charities are money sinks that pay big buck to the CEO and return 10% or less to the end-charity-purpose.

So, when "big people" give to charities they are only giving to themselves and their mates anyway.

THIS.. is what big charities do:

"A charity accused of carrying out questionable fundraising activities has been struck off the charities register after a five-month investigation by the sector's regulator.

Care 4 Kids Foundation of Australia collected nearly $1 million through door-knocking, supposedly to benefit disadvantaged children who had fallen behind in school work.

However, an investigation by 7.30 revealed that the $509,180 supposedly paid to beneficiaries since 2011 had in fact been paid to two tutoring companies wholly owned by Michael O'Connor, the son of Care 4 Kids Foundation's two directors.

When 7.30 confronted Mr O'Connor about his companies' activities he said he had no knowledge of the children they supposedly tutored, or about the financial dealings of the charity.

The companies did provide some tutoring to several disabled and low-income children, via tutors in the Philippines.

However, Care 4 Kids director Michael Johnston could not explain where the bulk of the money collected had gone."

That was Australia.. the US is:

"How would you feel if you donated money to help disaster victims or cancer patients and you later found out that more than 97 percent of the money that you gave never got into the hands of the people that needed it?
Sadly, that is happening all over America today. In fact, in some of the worst cases, less than a penny of every dollar that is donated ends up in the hands of those that need the help.

If you can believe it, right now there are 6,000 charities in the United States that use for-profit companies to raise money for them, and in many of those instances the for-profit companies end up keeping more than 50 percent of the donations for themselves. In addition, many charities end up paying their employees “salaries” that are far greater than the total amount of money that the charities actually give to the needy.

The Tampa Bay Times, CNN and the Center for Investigative Reporting recently teamed up to conduct an investigation, and they came up with a list of the 50 worst charities in America.

They discovered that those charities raised more than $1.3 billion over the past ten years combined, but that nearly $1 billion of that total went to the for-profit companies that raise their donations for them. The American people are being scammed out of an enormous amount of money, and people need to learn the truth about this."

!!!!

That is what I am telling all the time, and people still cannot believe how bad things really are! This tax deduction gave rise to a whole lot of scams!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads