What's the longest you ever had to wait on a backordered lens?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
CreeDo
Contributing MemberPosts: 586Gear list
Like?
What's the longest you ever had to wait on a backordered lens?
3 months ago

I'm not sure what's typical in the photo world for waiting on backordered items.

Weeks? Months? Please don't say years.

I'm at 2 weeks + and counting. Driving me nuts, not even a guesstimate, and there are others ahead of me in line.

CreeDo's gear list:CreeDo's gear list
Canon EOS 1200D Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Gato Amarillo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,490
Like?
Re: What's the longest you ever had to wait on a backordered lens?
In reply to CreeDo, 3 months ago

here's one that says "Usually ships within 2 to 5 months" - I had this on order from another dealer, but lucked into one from another source.

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-350963-Black-Micro-Thirds/dp/B00CMRTVFE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405967292&sr=8-1&keywords=sigma+60mm+micro+four+thirds

Usually its a matter of a few weeks, in my experience, but there's really no way to know. Sometimes it's days, sometimes it turns out the item is discontinued but the dealers were not notified. You might get a honest estimate from the dealer (if they know) or from the manufacturer - or you might not.

Gato

-- hide signature --

"We paint with our brain, not with our hands" -- Michelangelo
Portrait, figure and fantasy photography at Silver Mirage Gallery:
silvermirage.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CreeDo
Like?
In reply to Gato Amarillo, 3 months ago

Gato Amarillo wrote:

here's one that says "Usually ships within 2 to 5 months" - I had this on order from another dealer, but lucked into one from another source.

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-350963-Black-Micro-Thirds/dp/B00CMRTVFE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405967292&sr=8-1&keywords=sigma+60mm+micro+four+thirds

Usually its a matter of a few weeks, in my experience, but there's really no way to know. Sometimes it's days, sometimes it turns out the item is discontinued but the dealers were not notified. You might get a honest estimate from the dealer (if they know) or from the manufacturer - or you might not.

So in the past you've cancelled the order and get it faster elsewhere, and there was no hassle with that? I actually gave the retailer my credit card number so I kind of think I'm committed now, though if I wanted to make a huge deal out of it, I probably could cancel. Right now there's no point as it seems to be backordered everywhere.

Both the dealer and Tamron gave me the same answer: "There was more demand than we expected but we're shipping out batches as soon as we can and orders are being filled first-come first-served"

At least I know it's not discontinued or anything. I just wish someone could have given an educated guess on the timeframe.

Anyway thanks for the reply. I'll keep on sitting tight.

Canon EOS 1200D Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more
Gato Amarillo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,490
Like?

I read the cancellation policy before I ordered. I didn't cancel until I had a tracking number from the new source. My order was with B&H - they don't bill the card until they ship and it takes about 2 or 3 mouse clicks to cancel.

Gato

-- hide signature --

"We paint with our brain, not with our hands" -- Michelangelo
Portrait, figure and fantasy photography at Silver Mirage Gallery:
silvermirage.com

quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,589Gear list
Like?

Not a lens, but there was a particular book I ordered that Amazon (not a third party) claimed to have in stock (they changed it to out of stock after I made the order) but here I am, seven months later, without it. I get about an email a month telling me they're still trying to get it but I honestly doubt it.

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
phaedin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,151Gear list
Like?

Some pre ordered a Sigma lens for the Sony A mount. I think they still might be waiting and it's been over a year.
Even if that have received it by now it certainly was a long time

phaedin's gear list:phaedin's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
CreeDo
Like?
In reply to phaedin, 3 months ago

phaedin wrote:

Some pre ordered a Sigma lens for the Sony A mount. I think they still might be waiting and it's been over a year.
Even if that have received it by now it certainly was a long time

tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 18,194Gear list
Like?

If it's the Tamron 150-600 I gave up on that and bought the 70-200 f2.8. No wait for that. Maybe next year.
--
Tom

Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Misuse of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
pcb62
Regular MemberPosts: 132
Like?
In reply to tbcass, 3 months ago

The wait is relative and is multiplied by how badly you want the item.

Last year I ordered a lens hood. I waited 4.5 months for it to arrive. It was no big deal.

Last Friday I ordered a lens that I have been wanting and saving for, for the past couple of years. It's been four days and it feels like forever:)

Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,363
Like?

3 months for a lens to get back in stock once.

henryp
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,860Gear list
Like?
In reply to quezra, 3 months ago

quezra wrote:

Not a lens, but there was a particular book I ordered that Amazon (not a third party) claimed to have in stock (they changed it to out of stock after I made the order) but here I am, seven months later, without it. I get about an email a month telling me they're still trying to get it but I honestly doubt it.

If the publisher is Hachette, you may be waiting a while. Several recent articles in the NY Times, WS Journal etc have documented their dispute, including http://nyti.ms/1hfYPTt

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

henryp's gear list:henryp's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
Dickerson
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?

Order placed on 7th April. I have just been told that it has been dispatched and delivery is estimated at 1 August. So close to four months.

-- hide signature --

Terry

CreeDo
Like?
In reply to Dickerson, 3 months ago

Dickerson wrote:

Order placed on 7th April. I have just been told that it has been dispatched and delivery is estimated at 1 August. So close to four months.

-- hide signature --

Terry

maaaan, you guys are killing me. I'm gonna miss all sorts of photo opportunities. I guess I'll have to learn how to sneak up on bald eagles.

CreeDo
Like?
In reply to pcb62, 3 months ago

pcb62 wrote:

Last year I ordered a lens hood. I waited 4.5 months for it to arrive. It was no big deal.

Last Friday I ordered a lens that I have been wanting and saving for, for the past couple of years. It's been four days and it feels like forever:)

what lens did you get? Hope it was worth the wait.

CreeDo
Like?
In reply to tbcass, 3 months ago

tbcass wrote:

If it's the Tamron 150-600 I gave up on that and bought the 70-200 f2.8. No wait for that. Maybe next year.
--
Tom

------------
Misuse of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.

arghhhh. That's the one.

I'm gonna give it time. I hate missing opportunities but I have a 250 that does okay for more mundane subject matter. I took it on a bald eagle expedition and all my shots were disappointingly small in the frame. But I've got some killer shots of robins :/

CreeDo
Like?
In reply to pcb62, 3 months ago

pcb62 wrote:

Last year I ordered a lens hood. I waited 4.5 months for it to arrive. It was no big deal.

Last Friday I ordered a lens that I have been wanting and saving for, for the past couple of years. It's been four days and it feels like forever:)

the worst part is, I keep second-guessing my choice because I don't want to wait. So I check out review sites comparing it with other lenses.

They all seem to say the same thing, that it's getting like 90% of the image quality of the really high-end 10,000 - 13,000 prime lenses, for 1/10th of the cost. The more I read, the more positive I am that this is the right choice.

So now it's even harder to wait, my 'want multiplier' went up.

lickity split
Senior MemberPosts: 1,047Gear list
Like?

I waited between 3 to 4 weeks for my 200mm f4 from B&H. It was worth the wait...

lickity split's gear list:lickity split's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +9 more
pcb62
Regular MemberPosts: 132
Like?

CreeDo wrote:

what lens did you get? Hope it was worth the wait.

EF 400mm f2.8L IS II

tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 18,194Gear list
Like?

CreeDo wrote:

tbcass wrote:

--

arghhhh. That's the one.

I'm gonna give it time. I hate missing opportunities but I have a 250 that does okay for more mundane subject matter. I took it on a bald eagle expedition and all my shots were disappointingly small in the frame. But I've got some killer shots of robins :/

I have a Tamron 70-300 USD so it serves me for most of my long tele work. The 70-200 I bought for indoor sports. I figured that I wouldn't get the 150-600 before winter if even that soon so maybe for next spring. I also am thinking about the Sony 70-400 which tests indicate is so sharp at 400mm cropped it may be as good as the Tamron at 600mm uncropped but it costs $2000.

-- hide signature --

Tom
------------

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
Joseph S Wisniewski
Forum ProPosts: 33,986Gear list
Like?
8 months or 3.5 years...

CreeDo wrote:

I'm not sure what's typical in the photo world for waiting on backordered items.

Weeks? Months? Please don't say years.

Sorry.

I ordered a Nikon 6mm f2.8 around 1995. The waiting list at the time was 8 months. By the time it arrived, the project had been canceled and my employer arranged its sale, unopened, for about what we paid for it.

I put a deposit on the Voigtlander 75mm f1.8 SL II Nikon mount in February of 2011. Got my deposit back about 6 months later. It's July 2014 and Voigtlander still hasn't shipped the 75/1.8.

I'm at 2 weeks + and counting. Driving me nuts, not even a guesstimate, and there are others ahead of me in line.

What did you order?

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.
Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.
Ciao! Joseph
www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +43 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads