Waterproof bag for DSLR + Telephoto lens?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
shadyyx
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
Waterproof bag for DSLR + Telephoto lens?
2 months ago

I am going on a photo trip in few weeks and there is a possibility to borrow an inflatable boat and do a lot of birdwatching and photo shooting from the water. This way we could get much better and closer images of water birds that could be hardly obtained from the ground.

Since I am afraid about damaging my equipment I was thinking about getting a waterproof bag capable of holding my DSLR + telephoto lens attached. Is there such bag available?

I was exploring waterproof bags on Amazon and even they could be obtained for a reasonable price they all seem to allow only some non-tele lenses to be attached.

How do you take care about your equipment when doing birdwatching from a boat?

shadyyx's gear list:shadyyx's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,419Gear list
Like?
Re: Waterproof bag for DSLR + Telephoto lens?
In reply to shadyyx, 2 months ago

You're looking for something you can shoot from (or through), I assume?  Because waterproof storage for a variety of equipment is fairly easy to find.  Pelican and Otterbox both make quite large waterproof cases-- if one intended for a camera isn't large enough for your tele, perhaps one intended for a gun would work.  The foam inserts are modular and can be configured to support just about anything. Plus, you can get ones that float-- very handy if something goes wrong with that inflatable boat.  But that would be storage and carry only, not something you could use while taking pictures.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chris R-UK
Forum ProPosts: 12,328Gear list
Like?

shadyyx wrote:

I am going on a photo trip in few weeks and there is a possibility to borrow an inflatable boat and do a lot of birdwatching and photo shooting from the water. This way we could get much better and closer images of water birds that could be hardly obtained from the ground.

Since I am afraid about damaging my equipment I was thinking about getting a waterproof bag capable of holding my DSLR + telephoto lens attached. Is there such bag available?

I was exploring waterproof bags on Amazon and even they could be obtained for a reasonable price they all seem to allow only some non-tele lenses to be attached.

How do you take care about your equipment when doing birdwatching from a boat?

On a Galapagos trip where we were transported ashore in inflatables and had some tricky landings I put our cameras into a dry bag with a towel inside.  I think that this would been adequate in the event that I just dropped the bag into the atwer when getting out of the boat, but I doubt that it would have handled a prolonged immersion.  The dry bag that I got doubled as a rucksack and was useful for carrying water, inset repellent ashore.

After that trip I decided that the drybag was overkill and now just use a normal backpack.  However, on a recent whale watching small boat cruise to Baja California I did use a dry bag when photographing birds from an inflatable.  When we were moving fast there was a lot of spray around and  I just tucked my camera into the mouth of the bag and held it there until the boat slowed down.

When we had grey whale "friendlies" around in San Ignacio lagoon and water was flying everywhere, I put my main camera into the dry bag and shot with a small waterproof compact instead.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
shadyyx
Like?

Unfortunately I cannot find the option to edit my first post...

And of course I forgot to mention that I want a bag from which I could shoot as well. We are going to a trip with our dog and not only that there will be a lot of water inside the inflatable itself (because our dog will be jumping into the water all the time) but I also want to ensure that if anything went wrong during the shooting I do not lose (I mean damage) my equipment...

I would like something like this but for a tele-lens as well...

Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Chris R-UK
Like?

I find the thought of trying to shoot birds with expensive equipment from a wet inflatable boat with a dog in it to be quite mind boggling.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
shadyyx
Like?
In reply to Chris R-UK, 2 months ago

Even if the dog wasn't there I'd like to protect my stuff the best I could. I find the underwater bags as perfect fit, unfortunately I cannot find one for telephoto lenses...

Does this mean that everybody shooting from inflatables, from inside the water or using special self-made platforms to shoot at almost water level does not protect his stuff? I have seen hundreds of photos taken from such platforms where the shooter was completely inside the water or from boats with equipment worth more than $20.000 and I just do not believe they are not protecting it somehow...

Chris R-UK
Like?

shadyyx wrote:

Even if the dog wasn't there I'd like to protect my stuff the best I could. I find the underwater bags as perfect fit, unfortunately I cannot find one for telephoto lenses...

Does this mean that everybody shooting from inflatables, from inside the water or using special self-made platforms to shoot at almost water level does not protect his stuff? I have seen hundreds of photos taken from such platforms where the shooter was completely inside the water or from boats with equipment worth more than $20.000 and I just do not believe they are not protecting it somehow...

There are plenty of rain sleeves available for protecting the camera from spray.

If you want to protect the camera from immersion I think that you would have to use an underwater housing and I very much doubt that you can get one for your 100-400mm lens.  Most underwater photography is done with wide angle lenses, not telephotos.  Imagine the engineering problem of zooming your lens in an underwater housing.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

shadyyx
Like?

Well, already found one, though the price is somehow bigger then expected...

http://www.marinsolar.biz/product_info.php?cPath=2_70&products_id=281

But maybe I'll invest only in some quality waterproof bag (for half the price of that marine underwater one) that will carry the equipment when not being used and I would just need to take extreme caution then while shooting (hopefully my wife could hold the dog for a while at that moment).

Chris R-UK
Like?

shadyyx wrote:

Well, already found one, though the price is somehow bigger then expected...

http://www.marinsolar.biz/product_info.php?cPath=2_70&products_id=281

I don't think that your 100-400mm will fit into that housing, even at minimum zoom.

But maybe I'll invest only in some quality waterproof bag (for half the price of that marine underwater one) that will carry the equipment when not being used and I would just need to take extreme caution then while shooting (hopefully my wife could hold the dog for a while at that moment).

I think that is you only choice.  You can get a rain sleeve as well and a UV or ND0 filter would probably be a good idea.

As I indicated before, there is no way that I would try shooting birds from a small boat with a dog in it.  Apart from the risk that the dog will push you or your camera into the water, you will want the boat to be as stable as possible when shooting (and a dog won't help that) and the dog may scare aware any birds that you are trying to photograph.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

shadyyx
Like?

Yep, that scaring of anything life around us (when we try to approach quietly and undisturbingly) is the reason why I'd like to keep our dog at home. But tell my wife...

The inflatable should be a solid one capable of taking 5 adults while only two of us would be there so there should be enough of space to keep the dog away... I have to think about it little bit more...

Chris R-UK
Like?

shadyyx wrote:

Yep, that scaring of anything life around us (when we try to approach quietly and undisturbingly) is the reason why I'd like to keep our dog at home. But tell my wife...

The inflatable should be a solid one capable of taking 5 adults while only two of us would be there so there should be enough of space to keep the dog away... I have to think about it little bit more...

Perhaps you can borrow the boat more than once.  Take the dog and no camera the first time and the camera and no dog the second.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

ZX11
Contributing MemberPosts: 644Gear list
Like?

Chris R-UK wrote:

shadyyx wrote:

The inflatable should be a solid one capable of taking 5 adults while only two of us would be there so there should be enough of space to keep the dog away... I have to think about it little bit more...

Perhaps you can borrow the boat more than once. Take the dog and no camera the first time and the camera and no dog the second.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

I think people use waterproof cameras for shots taken from unstable boats.  You should separate the missions.  Adventure boating is one mission where the waterproof P&S (or Nikon's AW1) shine.  When the boat is beached for a rest or to explore, you can remove your DSLR w/ telephoto from the dry bag and go birding.

The guys using good gear in unstable boats are paid for the risk they are taking.  The gear doesn't matter.  Apparently anyway, since I have seen super expensive gear in the hands of people in rafts only when a support crew is passing them spare bodies and lenses.

-- hide signature --

"Very funny, Scotty! Now beam me down my clothes."

ZX11's gear list:ZX11's gear list
Canon EOS 700D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads