Started 4 months ago | Discussions
pixee
Regular MemberPosts: 381
Like?
Sel 50mm 1.8 Oss vs Fe 55mm 1.8
4 months ago

hi,

Maybe some of you have opinion...

I have planned to buy the 55mm Fe 1.8 lens to A7, but after reading DXOmark tests I am not so sure. Nikon 50mm 1.8 G and 85mm 1.8 G get as good score numbers with d800E, but they are much cheaper. I have them both in my Nikon gear. Sony Sel 50mm 1.8 Oss score number is 23 with Sony Nex7 and with EF 55 1.8 number is 25, only two point better.

I have Sel 50mm 1.8 Oss and it works fine in crop mode and also in ff-mode, but after cropping the vignetting I get a picture corresponding some 60mm angle on view with A7.

The answer is
Do I really get much better output with Zeiss FE 55mm 1.8?

I Found almost same thing when comparing Zeiss 35mm 2.8 Fe and excellent Sigma 30mm 2.8. In crop mode. Not big difference and after DXO they share same score number with Nex7.

Zeiss/Sony FE lenses are very expensive when compared with new Nikon G lenses.

seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,767Gear list
Like?
Re: Sel 50mm 1.8 Oss vs Fe 55mm 1.8
In reply to pixee, 4 months ago

pixee wrote:

hi,

I have planned to buy the 55mm Fe 1.8 lens to A7, but after reading DXOmark tests I am not so sure. Nikon 50mm 1.8 G and 85mm 1.8 G get as good score numbers with d800E, but they are much cheaper. I have them both in my Nikon gear. Sony Sel 50mm 1.8 Oss score number is 23 with Sony Nex7 and with EF 55 1.8 number is 25, only two point better.

I have Sel 50mm 1.8 Oss and it works fine in crop mode and also in ff-mode, but after cropping the vignetting I get a picture corresponding some 60mm angle on view with A7.

The answer is

I Found almost same thing when comparing Zeiss 35mm 2.8 Fe and excellent Sigma 30mm 2.8. In crop mode. Not big difference and after DXO they share same score number with Nex7.

Hi, I own the 55mm FE, the 50mm SEL, and a couple of other ~50mm lenses.

The 55mm is expensive, but it's also pretty much perfect. Most 50mm lenses will not be sharp over the whole frame at wider apertures. The 55mm FE is sharp everywhere from wide open. Compare it to the 50mm f/1.8 G (DXOMark, A7r/D800E) and you'll see that the 55mm is sharper at f/1.8 in the corners than the 50mm at f/8! It's also got a certain Zeissiness in the way it draws images, if you believe that particular emperor wears clothes.

If a standard prime is an important focal length to you, I would definitely recommend you give it serious consideration. It's one of the highlights of the system IMO.

That said, most other 50mm lenses are very very good, it's not all about achieving optical perfection, and how often do you really need sharp corners wide open? I use the Minolta 50mm macro quite a lot as a standard prime on the A7r, and it does a fine job. I do prefer the output from the Zeiss, but the Minolta's also a very capable lens, and cost me 1/10 of the price.

On a limited budget, I think it would make sense to use an adapted nifty 50, and allocate the money to another lens where good cheap alternatives are harder to come by.

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.
http://500px.com/seachicken

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,150Gear list
Like?

Trouble is, on an A7 the E50/1.8 is a crop lens which only delivers 1/2 the pegapixels. So instead of 24 mp on the A7 you get 12 mp. And instead of 36mp on the A7r you only get 18 mp.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
pixee
Like?
In reply to captura, 4 months ago

captura wrote:

Trouble is, on an A7 the E50/1.8 is a crop lens which only delivers 1/2 the pegapixels. So instead of 24 mp on the A7 you get 12 mp. And instead of 36mp on the A7r you only get 18 mp.

If you use crop mode with A7 you get 10mb files, but in ff mode you get still 24mb files and after cropping away the vignetting you get with 50mm sel some 17 mb files and angle of view is some 60mm, and corners are sharp.

LSHorwitz1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,232Gear list
Like?

captura wrote:

And on the a7S a paltry 5 megapixel crop !

Meh......

pixee
Like?
In reply to seachicken2000, 4 months ago

seachicken2000 wrote:

pixee wrote:

hi,

The answer is

Hi, I own the 55mm FE, the 50mm SEL, and a couple of other ~50mm lenses.

The 55mm is expensive, but it's also pretty much perfect. Most 50mm lenses will not be sharp over the whole frame at wider apertures. The 55mm FE is sharp everywhere from wide open. Compare it to the 50mm f/1.8 G (DXOMark, A7r/D800E) and you'll see that the 55mm is sharper at f/1.8 in the corners than the 50mm at f/8! It's also got a certain Zeissiness in the way it draws images, if you believe that particular emperor wears clothes.

If a standard prime is an important focal length to you, I would definitely recommend you give it serious consideration. It's one of the highlights of the system IMO.

That said, most other 50mm lenses are very very good, it's not all about achieving optical perfection, and how often do you really need sharp corners wide open? I use the Minolta 50mm macro quite a lot as a standard prime on the A7r, and it does a fine job. I do prefer the output from the Zeiss, but the Minolta's also a very capable lens, and cost me 1/10 of the price.

On a limited budget, I think it would make sense to use an adapted nifty 50, and allocate the money to another lens where good cheap alternatives are harder to come by.

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.
http://500px.com/seachicken

I agree,  but it is best to test them both together and also with my Nikon 50mm 1.8g,  85mm 1.8G and Sigma 35mm 1.4 before decision, because in Nikon d800 and Df these are really good lenses.

captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,150Gear list
Like?

pixee wrote:

captura wrote:

If you use crop mode with A7 you get 10mb files, but in ff mode you get still 24mb files and after cropping away the vignetting you get with 50mm sel some 17 mb files and angle of view is some 60mm, and corners are sharp.

From the sounds of it, still not ideal. Workable but won't be as effective as using the 55. And will you get the full-coverage PDAF and how about the OSS?

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
straylightrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 937Gear list
Like?

pixee wrote:

hi,

The answer is

You're comparing apples and oranges and then to pineapples. The FE 55/1.8 is 55mm. The SEL5018 with OSS is designed to be shot as 75mm equiv. Why are you comparing 55mm with 75mm? Also then you compare Mirrorless lenses to DSLR lenses. Why? They look the same if you're looking at them as numbers on a screen, but they are all completely differently designed.

straylightrun's gear list:straylightrun's gear list
Sony Alpha 7S Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony E PZ 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +6 more
pixee
Like?

captura wrote:

pixee wrote:

captura wrote:

From the sounds of it, still not ideal. Workable but won't be as effective as using the 55. And will you get the full-coverage PDAF and how about the OSS?

Not ideal, but works. Sony Sel 10-18 zoom work well with ff A7 and A7r because picture circle is much bigger than 1,5 crop circle. The vignetting area with 50mm Sel is smaller than I thought. Of course the ff lens is better option and I plan to buy 55mm Fe, too. 
I just hope that there will be in near future more ff lenses for Sony A7 serie.

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,346Gear list
Like?

pixee wrote:

hi,

The answer is

Comparing crop mode is silly - unless you plan to use the pictures in a 'small' viewing mode only (monitor, tv, A4 print size), and do not plan to crop/resize any image.

But your idea about going with legacy lenses is not bad. You can get e.g. the CG45/2.0 for less than half of the FE55Z, and if you go the SLR legacy route, you can take that price down by another 60% or so - while getting almost identical images (especially on small displays such as monitors, tablets, TVs) - at the cost of MF, no EXIF, no lens corrections (or manual).

DxO tests show the camera + lens combination. The same lens will score higher on the A7r (higher resolution). This means that the lens is better than you can realize on the A7.

In terms of Nex-7 vs A7 - for a 50mm lens these are very different FOV. The 50mm on the Nex-7 corresponds to a 75mm view on the A7. Longer FL usually translates to higher numbers in DxO, or other, comparisons tools. A better comparison would be to use the E35 numbers on the Nex-7.

As to the DxOmark in general, compare the A7r vs. the Nex-7 - you'll see a dramatic jump: 42 vs 21:

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +33 more
pixee
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, 4 months ago

blue_skies wrote:

pixee wrote:

hi,

The answer is

Comparing crop mode is silly - unless you plan to use the pictures in a 'small' viewing mode only (monitor, tv, A4 print size), and do not plan to crop/resize any image.

But your idea about going with legacy lenses is not bad. You can get e.g. the CG45/2.0 for less than half of the FE55Z, and if you go the SLR legacy route, you can take that price down by another 60% or so - while getting almost identical images (especially on small displays such as monitors, tablets, TVs) - at the cost of MF, no EXIF, no lens corrections (or manual).

DxO tests show the camera + lens combination. The same lens will score higher on the A7r (higher resolution). This means that the lens is better than you can realize on the A7.

In terms of Nex-7 vs A7 - for a 50mm lens these are very different FOV. The 50mm on the Nex-7 corresponds to a 75mm view on the A7. Longer FL usually translates to higher numbers in DxO, or other, comparisons tools. A better comparison would be to use the E35 numbers on the Nex-7.

As to the DxOmark in general, compare the A7r vs. the Nex-7 - you'll see a dramatic jump: 42 vs 21:

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

I have actually many legacy lenses, for ex Leica R 28mm, which is as good as my Sigma 35mm f1.4 with Nikon mount! I know these technical explanations well because I use mainly Nikon gear, d800 and Df with FX and some DX lenses. If you take a picture with DX lens, circle of picture is smaller, but pixel density is same as with FX lens, but it is cropped picture. With many DX lenses the picture circle is bigger than 1,5 crop circle.
Sorry, but your answer actually does not help me. I must test this Zeiss FE 55 myself, as I have done with Zeiss FE35mm, and will decide is it worth to buy. Of course DXO tests camera+lens combination, but A7r uses same 36mb sensor as Nikon d800E!

philip pj
Contributing MemberPosts: 693
Like?

It will depend on what 'much better' means to you, and what usage and aperture range you want. Let's look at the FE55 alongside two Nikkors of around the same focal length, the 50/1.8G and 50/1.4G to assist the decision (and to illustrate some other things for interested readers).

50s tend to be regarded as all rounders but the OOF quality and overall 'sharpness' are definite yardstick measures. Much better than a summary number such as DxO is the spread of performance across the frame at particular apertures. I like slrgear charts for this reason and it so happens they have tested all three of these lenses.

Aperture

You can't really expect even performance wide open on a planar subject to tell you much about resolution as your image at this aperture will be typically dominated by out-of-focus data, so quality of bokeh assumes much greater performance.

While it's not true that all lenses are equally good at f8 this is the best each generally can give for overall performance, if corner definition matters. To assess performance at one aperture for sharpness f5.6 is a good choice, but we must be aware of the rate of improvement on stop down from f2 to f5.6, because often you want very good results without surrendering more than a stop or so from wide open. Lets look at how these fare at f2, just one third - one stop down from open.

Nikkor 50mm f1.8G:

On a 24Mp sensor, this one has very uneven performance, up to 4 blur units = poor corners and substandard drawing of subject matter. Might have QC problems, I hope so.

Nikkor 50mm f1.4G:

On a 24Mp sensor also, a very centre-focused image with very poor corners, 3-4 blur units, fast drop-off of performance from the very small centre.

Sony 55mm f1.8:

On a 36Mp sensor - much tougher test! - very even and very good performance across the frame, very little loss of contrast/resolution from mid-frame to far corners. around 2 blur units.

Since it delivers superior results even with a challenging 36Mp sensor, on a 24Mp a7 the FE55 would be extremely good at f2. As you see above, it is still no contest with the two Nikkors. BTW, it is even worse for the $1700 Nikon 58mm f1.4, a supposedly refined 'bokeh' lens that is much less 'sharp'.

[You may wonder why lens review sites choose to test Sony lenses on the toughest test in full frame - the a7r - yet test Nikon's and Canon's lenses on five year old camera bodies, a far easier test of lens performance.]

The step up from 20-24Mp to 36Mp is exactly why lens makers are rushing to update designs, as we see with the Sigma ART 50mm f1.4. Unsuitable on the a7 cameras for other reasons - bulk and weight - that lens is almost double the weight of the a7r!

pixee
Like?
In reply to philip pj, 4 months ago

philip pj wrote:

It will depend on what 'much better' means to you, and what usage and aperture range you want. Let's look at the FE55 alongside two Nikkors of around the same focal length, the 50/1.8G and 50/1.4G to assist the decision (and to illustrate some other things for interested readers).

50s tend to be regarded as all rounders but the OOF quality and overall 'sharpness' are definite yardstick measures. Much better than a summary number such as DxO is the spread of performance across the frame at particular apertures. I like slrgear charts for this reason and it so happens they have tested all three of these lenses.

Aperture

You can't really expect even performance wide open on a planar subject to tell you much about resolution as your image at this aperture will be typically dominated by out-of-focus data, so quality of bokeh assumes much greater performance.

While it's not true that all lenses are equally good at f8 this is the best each generally can give for overall performance, if corner definition matters. To assess performance at one aperture for sharpness f5.6 is a good choice, but we must be aware of the rate of improvement on stop down from f2 to f5.6, because often you want very good results without surrendering more than a stop or so from wide open. Lets look at how these fare at f2, just one third - one stop down from open.

Nikkor 50mm f1.8G:

On a 24Mp sensor, this one has very uneven performance, up to 4 blur units = poor corners and substandard drawing of subject matter. Might have QC problems, I hope so.

Nikkor 50mm f1.4G:

On a 24Mp sensor also, a very centre-focused image with very poor corners, 3-4 blur units, fast drop-off of performance from the very small centre.

Sony 55mm f1.8:

On a 36Mp sensor - much tougher test! - very even and very good performance across the frame, very little loss of contrast/resolution from mid-frame to far corners. around 2 blur units.

Since it delivers superior results even with a challenging 36Mp sensor, on a 24Mp a7 the FE55 would be extremely good at f2. As you see above, it is still no contest with the two Nikkors. BTW, it is even worse for the $1700 Nikon 58mm f1.4, a supposedly refined 'bokeh' lens that is much less 'sharp'.

[You may wonder why lens review sites choose to test Sony lenses on the toughest test in full frame - the a7r - yet test Nikon's and Canon's lenses on five year old camera bodies, a far easier test of lens performance.]

The step up from 20-24Mp to 36Mp is exactly why lens makers are rushing to update designs, as we see with the Sigma ART 50mm f1.4. Unsuitable on the a7 cameras for other reasons - bulk and weight - that lens is almost double the weight of the a7r!

Thank you!

I agree. I have Nikon d800 and Df and Sony A7 and can compare all Nikon lenses side by side with A7. As you know Nikon d800 shares the same sensor with A7r. Sigma 35 1.4 and Nikon 85mm G 1.8 are among best as DXo Mark has stated, but how much "better" is Zeiss 55mm 1.8 in A7? Maybe not at all better, but I will test them together.
It is true that the new 50mm G 1.8 was not scored as high as Zeiss 55 Fe. I am happy with Zeiss 35mm FE with A7, and even happier with Sigma 35mm 1.4 and Nikon 85mm G 1.8 with Nikon d800 and DF bodies.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads