Issue with Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 ex dc os hsm when using with D7100

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Nazif Hussain
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
Issue with Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 ex dc os hsm when using with D7100
4 months ago

I need to know, Did any D7100 users encounter any problem when using sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 ex dc os hsm? I am plannig to buy this lens.

I already have the 18-55 VR ii & 50mm 1.8D. DO I need to buy this lens?

Nazif Hussain's gear list:Nazif Hussain's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
imac2001
Regular MemberPosts: 429
Like?
Re: Issue with Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 ex dc os hsm when using with D7100
In reply to Nazif Hussain, 4 months ago

According to Steve Bingham and others, the only reported problem has been resolved.

-- hide signature --

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."
-Bob Dylan

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nazif Hussain
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
In reply to imac2001, 4 months ago

imac2001 wrote:

According to Steve Bingham and others, the only reported problem has been resolved.

-- hide signature --

-Bob Dylan

what was the problem? resolved from sigma?

Nazif Hussain's gear list:Nazif Hussain's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
rpakdel
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?

I am using an older one (I've had it for 2 years and I got it used) an it works generally fine. There are a couple of minor issues that don't get in the way.

As whether you need this lens. No, if you have to ask whether you need it, then you don't need it.

I love my Sigma 17-50 f2.8. I never use the kit lens (although it is a very good lens).

rpakdel's gear list:rpakdel's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +3 more
richiebee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,200Gear list
Like?

The only real problem is that your preview doesn't scroll like it should - that is when you're reviewing an image, you can't hold down the arrows to scroll across your image - it requires multiple button pushes instead. This is due to the OS staying on after taking a picture. I don't find this to be an issue.  It's OS implementation makes one feel that OS is always on regardless of switch position, but now that I've done lots of testing and had the benefit of other's experience, I am convinced that it does not stay on when switched off.

I bought this lens for my D7100.  If I had my time back, I wouldn't have.  I find its focusing to be much less reliable than my Nikon lenses, it's rarely as tack sharp as some people claim. I've thought about sending it in to Sigma several times...  might still do that.

As to whether you need it - if your kit lens isn't fast enough, you might find this to be a good option.  If you don't require a fast kit lens, I'd skip it and think about something else.

richiebee's gear list:richiebee's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +13 more
imac2001
Regular MemberPosts: 429
Like?

The problem involves the OS remaining on for a minute after snapping the shutter. You couldn't make it turn off, and because the OS would remain on, you couldn't scroll fluidly when viewing pictures in playback mode. Relatively minor, but many were concerned with battery usage and long term unreliability. Plus- some people were concerned that OS might always remain on, even when the button was in the off position. I think this theory was disproved.

Many say it has been resolved, and since it never affected the quality of an image, why hesitate to buy the lens?

-- hide signature --

-Bob Dylan

EJLiu
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
In reply to imac2001, 4 months ago

imac2001 wrote:

The problem involves the OS remaining on for a minute after snapping the shutter. You couldn't make it turn off, and because the OS would remain on, you couldn't scroll fluidly when viewing pictures in playback mode. Relatively minor, but many were concerned with battery usage and long term unreliability. Plus- some people were concerned that OS might always remain on, even when the button was in the off position. I think this theory was disproved.

Many say it has been resolved, and since it never affected the quality of an image, why hesitate to buy the lens?

-- hide signature --

-Bob Dylan

Talked to Sigma USA a few times.  Sigma has no plan to fix this operational issue.  It will continue to exist until Sigma decides to change their OS design.

Keep in mind that so far, Sigma lens w/ OS has this issue with D7100 and D5300.  No report of this issue on D800/D810/D610/D600.

dylanphotolight
Forum MemberPosts: 89Gear list
Like?

I have the scrolling issue but is not a deal breaker for me , I find it better than the nikon

16-85 which I had focusing issues. 17-50 image quality is good

Yours Dylan

http://www.dylan-garcia.co.uk

dylanphotolight's gear list:dylanphotolight's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
BirgerH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,431Gear list
Like?
In reply to EJLiu, 4 months ago

Oh, but I can report, that my Sigma 17-70 - which is not the c-version - stays on for one minute on my D7000 before closing Down the lightmeter.

None of the other problems reported regarding scrolling a.s.o. is present.

It's rearly no problem, as a matter of fact, I only realized it some few days ago when checking the time for switching off the light in the top-panel.

BirgerH.

BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +14 more
richiebee
Like?
In reply to BirgerH, 4 months ago

I believe the scrolling problem is only with the latest cameras, d7100, d5300 and although I've not heard it, I assume the d3300.

The scrolling thing is a very minor nuisance anyway...  this is not the reason I wouldn't buy it again if I had my time back.

Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +13 more
UtenteMac
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
In reply to richiebee, 4 months ago

Bought a D7100 and the Sigma 17-50 in the past two weeks, so everything pretty much up to date.

The preview bug where you can't keep pressed the arrow pad is quite annoying. This is fine when you don't recompose focus and you're interested just in the autofocus zone, buts shooting landscapes and such, having to quickly check most of the scene by frenetically press the controls is a pita.

The OS bug is much worse, not only the battery draining is a magnitude higher than the one on my old D300, but it's reported as always ON even when the switch is OFF. Someone told the switch should work as expected, but I'm not really 100% sure about that.

Being reported as always on it prevents focus calibration with softwares like FoCal, which explicitly tells to disable any form of optical stabilization. Lacking a way to force it to go on no matter what it simply stops after the first step.

Having said that is a good quality lens that you simply can't beat on a price standpoint. I'd happily pay more for a similar version without issues but either it doesn't exists or introduces other issue like inferior sharpness, such as the old Nikkor.

UtenteMac
Like?
In reply to UtenteMac, 4 months ago

…plus, for what I understood, even the newer 17-70mm (C) suffers the same issues.

So basically we D7100 users are restricted from buying Sigma stabilized lenses. This unless one enjoys breaking the right thumb while reviewing image sharpness across the frame.

I'm still trying to find any mid-high level quality walk around lens, without success.

dylanphotolight
Forum MemberPosts: 89Gear list
Like?

UtenteMac wrote:

Bought a D7100 and the Sigma 17-50 in the past two weeks, so everything pretty much up to date.

The preview bug where you can't keep pressed the arrow pad is quite annoying. This is fine when you don't recompose focus and you're interested just in the autofocus zone, buts shooting landscapes and such, having to quickly check most of the scene by frenetically press the controls is a pita.

The OS bug is much worse, not only the battery draining is a magnitude higher than the one on my old D300, but it's reported as always ON even when the switch is OFF. Someone told the switch should work as expected, but I'm not really 100% sure about that.

Being reported as always on it prevents focus calibration with softwares like FoCal, which explicitly tells to disable any form of optical stabilization. Lacking a way to force it to go on no matter what it simply stops after the first step.

Having said that is a good quality lens that you simply can't beat on a price standpoint. I'd happily pay more for a similar version without issues but either it doesn't exists or introduces other issue like inferior sharpness, such as the old Nikkor.

All above  may be true but, I am still impressed with the lenses sharpness / price / 2.8 / weight, so it is still good value for me

also have not noticed the battery issue, normally do not use the vr as, have had mixed results on other lenses

http://www.dylan-garcia.co.uk

dylanphotolight's gear list:dylanphotolight's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
NorCalAl
Forum MemberPosts: 76Gear list
Like?
In reply to dylanphotolight, 4 months ago

The problem with OS remaining on is the outward manifestation of the fact that Sigma and Nikon are not playing well together. We don't know what other issues exist that we don't see immediately. For example, many of the folks who have bought these lenses, myself included, have also experienced seemingly random focus problems.

I find it interesting that, while Sigma was not a true competitor in terms of build quality (and in most cases) image quality, there were no interoperability problems. Sigma generally only made a few lenses where the IQ was on a par with Nikon and only in ranges (the 150/2.8 macro, for instance) where Nikon had holes.

Now that Sigma has shored up their QC, improved the build and is not only directly competing with Nikon but is actually besting them in some spots (the 18-35/1.8 and 50 Art come to mind), suddenly these issues crop up.

To compound matters, there is significant pressure on core products from manufacturers who used to be on the periphery (Sony, Fuji) as well as on the core format from former outliers like micro four thirds.

Added up, it seems reasonable that Nikon might not be as generous to those who are taking the food from their mouths.

Just saying...
--
The Mad Prophet - philosopher, cyclist, and photographer

NorCalAl's gear list:NorCalAl's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 8700 Nikon D40 Nikon D7100 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +4 more
EJLiu
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
In reply to NorCalAl, 4 months ago

Has anyone tried out sigma 24-105 Art to see if the same problem exist?

Jim Holtz
Contributing MemberPosts: 771
Like?
Re: Issue with Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 ex dc os hsm when using with D7100 or is it?
In reply to NorCalAl, 4 months ago

NorCalAl wrote:

The problem with OS remaining on is the outward manifestation of the fact that Sigma and Nikon are not playing well together. We don't know what other issues exist that we don't see immediately. For example, many of the folks who have bought these lenses, myself included, have also experienced seemingly random focus problems.

I find it interesting that, while Sigma was not a true competitor in terms of build quality (and in most cases) image quality, there were no interoperability problems. Sigma generally only made a few lenses where the IQ was on a par with Nikon and only in ranges (the 150/2.8 macro, for instance) where Nikon had holes.

Now that Sigma has shored up their QC, improved the build and is not only directly competing with Nikon but is actually besting them in some spots (the 18-35/1.8 and 50 Art come to mind), suddenly these issues crop up.

To compound matters, there is significant pressure on core products from manufacturers who used to be on the periphery (Sony, Fuji) as well as on the core format from former outliers like micro four thirds.

Added up, it seems reasonable that Nikon might not be as generous to those who are taking the food from their mouths.

Just saying...
--
The Mad Prophet - philosopher, cyclist, and photographer

Another way to look at the OS/VR subject is from a technical perspective. I recently read that Nikon floats the optics in a rubber gasket. On the other hand, Sigma floats the optics in electromagnetic fields which might explain why they react a bit differently and why Sigma stays ready for a minute after the last shot. From a technical perspective, electromagnetic fields sound a lot more advanced to me.

I find no issue with the OS staying on a minute. I owned a Sigma 18-125mm several years ago when I shot Canon and it stayed on then. This is not something "new" so I'm a bit surprised at all the concern all of a sudden. I also have zero battery problems with my D7000. The D5xxx series have lessor batteries so this may be a really good reason to buy a battery grip for the camera.

I find the Sigma 17-50mm to be a superb lens that is razor sharp. Focus is dead on every time. The scroll thing is a non issue to me. I don't chimp shots in the LCD trying to determine if everything is perfect. If i doubt, take a couple more.

My $0.02

Jim

UtenteMac
Like?
In reply to Jim Holtz, 4 months ago

Sure, when coming from lesser bodies you don't catch the issue and probably don't suffer the poor engineering choice but…

1) Many of us come from D300 or other Pro bodies: I used to shoot hundreds of pictures before having the battery icon to change. Often around 1000 shots per charge with no image review. I saw drastic battery consumption in an hour of tests with D7100+17-50mm: not acceptable.

2) I didn't own that Canon model, but VR/OS/VC usually stays on for a few seconds after the release of the shutter. It drains a whole lot of battery power and -this- is the proper way to handle the thing.

3) I bought the battery grip to make it more comfortable to shoot with and to nearly double battery life, expecting a little less juice than my old D300. With 17-50mm and OS on it's around half, if not a third. Unacceptable.

4) I don't "chimp". I look for the detail where I need it.
Shoot a picture. Need to shot several other one with different composition. Was f/6.3 sufficient for the DoF? Quickly check the frame by going from corner to corner.
Should I shoot the same 50-sequence with four or five aperture settings and or focus distances because otherwise it is "chimping"? Come on.

In the end any clear defect should be treated as such despite coming from a worse scenario. Don't you agree?

Jim Holtz
Contributing MemberPosts: 771
Like?

UtenteMac wrote:

Sure, when coming from lesser bodies you don't catch the issue and probably don't suffer the poor engineering choice but…

1) Many of us come from D300 or other Pro bodies: I used to shoot hundreds of pictures before having the battery icon to change. Often around 1000 shots per charge with no image review. I saw drastic battery consumption in an hour of tests with D7100+17-50mm: not acceptable.

2) I didn't own that Canon model, but VR/OS/VC usually stays on for a few seconds after the release of the shutter. It drains a whole lot of battery power and -this- is the proper way to handle the thing.

3) I bought the battery grip to make it more comfortable to shoot with and to nearly double battery life, expecting a little less juice than my old D300. With 17-50mm and OS on it's around half, if not a third. Unacceptable.

4) I don't "chimp". I look for the detail where I need it.
Shoot a picture. Need to shot several other one with different composition. Was f/6.3 sufficient for the DoF? Quickly check the frame by going from corner to corner.
Should I shoot the same 50-sequence with four or five aperture settings and or focus distances because otherwise it is "chimping"? Come on.

In the end any clear defect should be treated as such despite coming from a worse scenario. Don't you agree?

Since you stepped down to a lessor body, it sounds like you need to either continue to shoot your D300 or jump to a D810. Maybe you'll get lucky and the D300 replacement will be announced this fall. I guess owning a D7000 or D7100 doesn't give the rest of us the knowledge to determine engineering choices.

1. Please explain "drastic battery consumption" based on factual measurements rather than opinion. My D7000 has the same battery as your D7100 and I do not experience any battery drain beyond "normal" and can shoot 100's of images and still have lots of charge in the grip battery with a full charge in the camera battery. You may want to contact Nikon for help.

2. Keeping the OS engaged for a minute is the proper way for Sigma lenses that are designed that way. If you find this to be unacceptable and in your opinion, poor engineering, perhaps it's time to sell the 17-50mm and get the Nikon counterpart?

3. See response number one.

4. If you're checking DOF, thats a couple shots, right? Then you can shoot with confidence. I don't have automatic preview enabled. It slows me down and if I want to quickly check composition, I can with the press of a button. I'm not sure why you'd have a 50 sequence shoot unless you're a pro and doing a wedding but again, a couple shots should get you the verification of your camera settings. I started shooting with film back in the early 80's so maybe I've developed different habits than you.

No I don't agree its a defect. It's a design decision that I'm good with and find the lens to be superb. Sorry, you don't. I read in another thread that you're not happy with the D7100 either and that you advocated complaining to somehow force the manufacturers to change the things you don't like. Good luck with that. I hope you get things squared away.

richiebee
Like?
In reply to Jim Holtz, 4 months ago

Jim Holtz wrote:

1. Please explain "drastic battery consumption" based on factual measurements rather than opinion. My D7000 has the same battery as your D7100 and I do not experience any battery drain beyond "normal" and can shoot 100's of images and still have lots of charge in the grip battery with a full charge in the camera battery. You may want to contact Nikon for help.

My understanding is that the battery drain doesn't occur with the older cameras like the D7000...  it's only the current crop.  That said, I don't see it being significant on my D7100.

UtenteMac
Like?
In reply to richiebee, 3 months ago

In the end I think I'll get a 18-140mm as walk around lens.

Sure it has much smaller apertures, but I rarely shoot wide open anyway, while the 18-140 is often very close to the max sharpness at its widest apertures along the FLs.

I compared it to a number of other lenses, included the 17-50mm (Nikkor much more consistent in sharpness and sharper in some FLs), the old 50mm ƒ/1.8D (slightly sharper, much better ad widest apertures) and the 17-70mm (sometimes a tie, but overall better and more reach on tele).

It's even sharper than the old (kept!) D300 with Sigma 18-35mm (A). It means a lot.

Is it a better lens overall? It is to me, though I'll miss the 17-50mm @ 50mm ƒ/3.2 when shooting indoor portraits at ISO 4000.

Just my .02€

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads