Great Landscape and Cityscape Lens

Started 5 months ago | User reviews
whereonearth
New MemberPosts: 7Gear list
Like?
Great Landscape and Cityscape Lens
5 months ago

I have had this lens for around 3 months now and love it to pieces.

I have have invested in some good glass recently in the L series 24-105mm and a 70-200 F2.8 which are both great lenses and i love shooting with them. I was in the market for something a little wider but didn't really want to invest in another expensive lens. I also have never moved away from Canon lenses. Therefore I surprised myself by being drawn by the Sigma 10-20mm F4.0-5.6.

I purchased it and have no regrets, the Lens is well constructed and feels solid to hold and mount onto the camera body. It comes with a good lens hood and solid case, although the case it a little bulky for me as I like to travel light.

I have used the lens extensively for landscape and cityscape work and done a lot of handheld and 30sec exposures. I have to say i am not disappointed with this at all.

Glasgow Arches

If anyone is in the mood for a well built, good quality lens then i would definitely recommend one of these.

Good enough to drink

-- hide signature --

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Do not go where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

whereonearth's gear list:whereonearth's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
whereonearth's score
Average community score
Chuck_FL
Regular MemberPosts: 435
Like?
Re: Great Landscape and Cityscape Lens
In reply to whereonearth, 5 months ago

Great pics. I'm impressed.

Cheers,

Chuck

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
victorian squid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,137Gear list
Like?
In reply to whereonearth, 5 months ago

I bought this lens 6 or so years ago - it was my first UWA. When I bought it (paired with an EOS XT), I thought it would be temporary - there really were only a couple of UWA's for crops out at the time, and the EF-S 10-22 was pretty pricey. I figured at some point I'd trade up.

There were lots of tempting newcomers - like the Tokina 11-16 (poor range and I don't need fast) and the Sigma 8-16 (the wider lens would be great for my architectural photography), but nothing was really good enough to make a trade worthwhile.

I finally moved to full frame, and yes, the EF 17-40/4L is superior, and the new 16-35/4L IS is really superior, at twice and almost 3x the cost.

I have zero qualms at pulling out my 60D and the 10-20 still, it's a solid piece of gear and it's easy to see why Sigma hasn't done much about replacing it. And, a replacement will be superior, but pricier.

On an XTi

60D

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +34 more
Austinian
Senior MemberPosts: 1,743Gear list
Like?
In reply to victorian squid, 5 months ago

victorian squid wrote:

I bought this lens 6 or so years ago - it was my first UWA. When I bought it (paired with an EOS XT), I thought it would be temporary - there really were only a couple of UWA's for crops out at the time, and the EF-S 10-22 was pretty pricey. I figured at some point I'd trade up.

There were lots of tempting newcomers - like the Tokina 11-16 (poor range and I don't need fast) and the Sigma 8-16 (the wider lens would be great for my architectural photography), but nothing was really good enough to make a trade worthwhile.

I finally moved to full frame, and yes, the EF 17-40/4L is superior, and the new 16-35/4L IS is really superior, at twice and almost 3x the cost.

I have zero qualms at pulling out my 60D and the 10-20 still, it's a solid piece of gear and it's easy to see why Sigma hasn't done much about replacing it. And, a replacement will be superior, but pricier.

Sigma makes the 10-20mm f/3.5 too, but it hasn't replaced the older lens; a number of people who've compared the two still prefer the f4-5.6. I think we've seen threads not too long ago discussing this.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a77 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
victorian squid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,137Gear list
Like?
In reply to Austinian, 5 months ago

I might have been talking about it on a past thread. When that lens came out I was excited as the word was it was better across the board. I found it to be softer in actuality - and the extra bit of speed did nothing for me. There was no real difference in build either other than being bigger- so I just kept plugging with the old lens, and returned the 3.5.

It's possible I got a duff copy - but from what I've seen in reviews since then there's just not a lot of difference - and lens variation could mean I couldn't improve at all.

I didn't find any of the Tamron's to be tempting at all - as they are certainly no improvement in IQ over the Sigma. This little 10-20 is really what kept me trying and sticking with Sigma lenses, and I've gotten some nice ones since.

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +34 more
Austinian
Senior MemberPosts: 1,743Gear list
Like?
In reply to victorian squid, 5 months ago

victorian squid wrote:

I might have been talking about it on a past thread. When that lens came out I was excited as the word was it was better across the board. I found it to be softer in actuality - and the extra bit of speed did nothing for me. There was no real difference in build either other than being bigger- so I just kept plugging with the old lens, and returned the 3.5.

It's possible I got a duff copy - but from what I've seen in reviews since then there's just not a lot of difference - and lens variation could mean I couldn't improve at all.

I didn't find any of the Tamron's to be tempting at all - as they are certainly no improvement in IQ over the Sigma. This little 10-20 is really what kept me trying and sticking with Sigma lenses, and I've gotten some nice ones since.

This is a 2-exposure HDR image with this lens from a recent trip to Carlsbad Caverns. The majority of shots I took inside the Big Room were with this lens; the zoom range was IMO very useful for the scale of the cave.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a77 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads