Canon EOS 5D Mark III: Is there any disadvantage?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
bhollis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,676Gear list
Like?
Re: illuminated AF points
In reply to yodermk, 5 months ago

yodermk wrote:

A lot of low-light photographers would like illuminated AF points.

I don't know if I'm on drugs or if my 5D3 is special, but I have illuminated AF points. Or is it not referring to what I think it's referring to? I know when I AF in low light, the used points blink red.

-- hide signature --

If it's a *Single* Lens Reflex, why do I need so many lenses?

Well, unless your 5D3 is very special, it only blinks red when you change focus points or lock focus. What a lot of folks would like is for the AF point(s) to remain illuminated (as they were with the 5D2), so that they can see where the AF point is and position it accordingly before locking focus.

bhollis's gear list:bhollis's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
M Stewart
Regular MemberPosts: 437Gear list
Like?
In reply to bhollis, 5 months ago

bhollis wrote:

Well, unless your 5D3 is very special, it only blinks red when it locks focus. What a lot of folks would like is for the AF point(s) to be illuminated beforehand (as they were with the 5D2), so that they can see where the AF point is and position it accordingly before locking focus.

And that's what I really like about my 5D2, 1D IV etc., and which still bothers me when I use my 7D with its LCD enabled viewfinder.  I'm surprised that my now more limited photography misses this feature so much.  (If only it could be customised...)

-- hide signature --

M. Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

M Stewart's gear list:M Stewart's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +15 more
bhollis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,676Gear list
Like?
In reply to M Stewart, 5 months ago

M Stewart wrote:

bhollis wrote:

Well, unless your 5D3 is very special, it only blinks red when it locks focus. What a lot of folks would like is for the AF point(s) to be illuminated beforehand (as they were with the 5D2), so that they can see where the AF point is and position it accordingly before locking focus.

And that's what I really like about my 5D2, 1D IV etc., and which still bothers me when I use my 7D with its LCD enabled viewfinder. I'm surprised that my now more limited photography misses this feature so much. (If only it could be customised...)

Well, here's a workaround that I've found works fairly well . . .

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3260517

bhollis's gear list:bhollis's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
M Stewart
Regular MemberPosts: 437Gear list
Like?

bhollis wrote:

M Stewart wrote:

bhollis wrote:

And that's what I really like about my 5D2, 1D IV etc., and which still bothers me when I use my 7D with its LCD enabled viewfinder. I'm surprised that my now more limited photography misses this feature so much. (If only it could be customised...)

Well, here's a workaround that I've found works fairly well . . .

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3260517

Many thanks - I've given that a go, (the Spot Meter option doesn't seem to be available on my 7D, so I've tried customising a different button).  In the lounge, it does seem to help. Will have to wait and see whether it's a help in normal usage.

-- hide signature --

M. Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

M Stewart's gear list:M Stewart's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +15 more
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III: Is there any disadvantage?

bhollis wrote:

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

No, what I mean is LCD viewfinder, which is what I said, though I can see the confusion, it's LCD overlay, the 5d3 and 1dx both have LCD overlay viewfinders just like the 7D, which is what was being discussed.

http://m.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2013/eos1dx_intelligent_viewfinder_display.mshtml

And the primary criticism of the LCD overlay is that it doesn't provide illuminated AF points for low-light shooting.

Hasn't been much of a problem for me, but some folks have complained bitterly about it. A partial firmware fix was provided for the 1DX, but so far nothing for the 5D3.

I expect this will be rectified in the 5D4.

Also it displays AF points in black not red color in AI-servo mode. It's unable to toggle with 5x/10x magnification directly in OVF where EVF has significant advantage in such areas such as in MF lenses. I'd like future Canon DSLRs support hybrid VF with an EVF that can be inserted into the hotshoe for example.

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
BigBen08
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,583
Like?

bhollis wrote

A lot of action photographers would like a faster burst rate.

And a larger buffer.

Keith Z Leonard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,444Gear list
Like?
In reply to qianp2k, 5 months ago

qianp2k wrote:

bhollis wrote:

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

No, what I mean is LCD viewfinder, which is what I said, though I can see the confusion, it's LCD overlay, the 5d3 and 1dx both have LCD overlay viewfinders just like the 7D, which is what was being discussed.

http://m.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2013/eos1dx_intelligent_viewfinder_display.mshtml

And the primary criticism of the LCD overlay is that it doesn't provide illuminated AF points for low-light shooting.

Hasn't been much of a problem for me, but some folks have complained bitterly about it. A partial firmware fix was provided for the 1DX, but so far nothing for the 5D3.

Also it displays AF points in black not red color in AI-servo mode. It's unable to toggle with 5x/10x magnification directly in OVF where EVF has significant advantage in such areas such as in MF lenses. I'd like future Canon DSLRs support hybrid VF with an EVF that can be inserted into the hotshoe for example.

Sounds like you've fallen in love with focus peaking?  EVF might be a hard sell to the 5D crowd, EVF in hotshoe could be interesting as an alternative to rear display during live view though.  Or are you assuming that 5D4 would be mirrorless?

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
qianp2k
Like?
In reply to Keith Z Leonard, 5 months ago

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

bhollis wrote:

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

Sounds like you've fallen in love with focus peaking? EVF might be a hard sell to the 5D crowd, EVF in hotshoe could be interesting as an alternative to rear display during live view though. Or are you assuming that 5D4 would be mirrorless?

I actually don't count on focus peaking (turned on but only for reference) in my A7R. For manual focus, I use 1x/7x/14x magnification toggle directly in EVF that is so easy and straightforward and with higher precision (customized central push button on the back dial wheel for this function, or C1 button next to shutter button), or focus assistance that as soon as you rotate the focus ring on the lens, it automatically enters into magnification mode. One AF mode that many like is DMF (direct manual focus) mode that will allow you to stay in AF and then if you decide to use MF with magnification then all you have to do is turn the lens focus ring while half pressing the shutter button with timer 2 sec~indefinite that you can adjust, so you start with AF and then you can MF with magnification on top of AF for further precise focus calibration.

I don't believe 5D4 will be ML but still DSLR. For an optional EVF works, camera needs to be in LV mode. Then comes to request of much better focus in LV mode that so far Canon is not very good at. Dual-pixel in 70D is much better than other Canon cameras but still lags behind from competitors.

Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Dan_168
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,050
Like?
Re: Jack of all trades but master of none
In reply to fcimbar, 5 months ago

fcimbar wrote:

is the truth.

Exactly what I consider it to be, but I re-phrased and called it " a good all-around-camera" in order to avoid too much flaming, LOL, whatever that is, if it works for the individuals, that's all it matters.

Keith Z Leonard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,444Gear list
Like?

qianp2k wrote:

I actually don't count on focus peaking (turned on but only for reference) in my A7R. For manual focus, I use 1x/7x/14x magnification toggle directly in EVF that is so easy and straightforward and with higher precision (customized central push button on the back dial wheel for this function, or C1 button next to shutter button), or focus assistance that as soon as you rotate the focus ring on the lens, it automatically enters into magnification mode. One AF mode that many like is DMF (direct manual focus) mode that will allow you to stay in AF and then if you decide to use MF with magnification then all you have to do is turn the lens focus ring while half pressing the shutter button with timer 2 sec~indefinite that you can adjust, so you start with AF and then you can MF with magnification on top of AF for further precise focus calibration.

I don't believe 5D4 will be ML but still DSLR. For an optional EVF works, camera needs to be in LV mode. Then comes to request of much better focus in LV mode that so far Canon is not very good at. Dual-pixel in 70D is much better than other Canon cameras but still lags behind from competitors.

Right, I figured you mean it to be in live view, but wanted to clarify.  Seems like it would come in handy.  I kind of wish we could have both the LCD overlay AND interchangeable screens...I actually like split prism focusing.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
l_d_allan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,358Gear list
Like?
In reply to Charles Wass, 5 months ago

Charles Wass wrote:
Higher dynamic range is certainly valued by many landscape photographers and higher dynamic range is provided by models of comparable cost from Nikon and Sony.

My understanding is that if you find yourself using HDR, that will much less often with the Sony sensor.

I use Dual-ISO from MagicLantern, to get better dynamic range. It costs a significant amount of resolution to match the DR of the Sony sensor. So with my 6d, I have about 14 EV DR at about 10 - 12 mpx, rather than 36 mpx at 14 EV DR.

I stress that I have always been a Canon user and have never used either of the other two makes.

Same here.

l_d_allan's gear list:l_d_allan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +22 more
l_d_allan
Like?
In reply to Dimes, 5 months ago

Dimes wrote:
4 - price.

Major factor. The "street price" of the 6d is now about half of the 5d3.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +22 more
l_d_allan
Like?
Re: 5D Mark IV: It's coming
In reply to DotCom Editor, 5 months ago

DotCom Editor wrote:

Some day. Perhaps.

Canon seems to be "dragging its heels" on this one.

qianp2k
Like?
In reply to Keith Z Leonard, 5 months ago

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

Right, I figured you mean it to be in live view, but wanted to clarify. Seems like it would come in handy. I kind of wish we could have both the LCD overlay AND interchangeable screens...I actually like split prism focusing.

The old split prism is not very easy to use that you'd need to wide open aperture if light is not bright.  EVF is not just much easier and accurate in MF but has many other benefits such as live histogram, live and accurate exposure, (highlight) zebra pattern and many other info.

pauljames34
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?

No internal radio control for an external speedlight.

I know adding one would've made the camera more expensive, but it's a right pain having to have a lump of stuff attached to my hotshoe when I want to use off camera flash.

Other than that, very happy!

pauljames34's gear list:pauljames34's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
filipebv
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
In reply to BPina, 5 months ago

i have a 5d III, for me the real problem are canon sensors in high contrast scenes, lot of nasty noise pop up when lift shadow. i bought nikon d610 recently because of that. a lot less work processing files.

Albert Silver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,506Gear list
Like?
In reply to filipebv, 5 months ago

filipebv wrote:

i have a 5d III, for me the real problem are canon sensors in high contrast scenes, lot of nasty noise pop up when lift shadow. i bought nikon d610 recently because of that. a lot less work processing files.

Looks to me more like a metering issue, no? I am not saying the Sony sensors do not offer more shadow lifting, but I am of two thoughts on this: one is that in a situation as above, if the audience was the focus, then you should have metered on them, and not the sky. At worst, a compromise between the two.

The second is that a lot of shadow lifting is more detrimental than helpful for a picture IMO. I'm not saying it is not nice to have the option, to save a mistake as in the shot above, but contrast is part of making the shot and the composition, otherwise it is just flat.

Albert Silver's gear list:Albert Silver's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
jenbenn
Regular MemberPosts: 214
Like?

I have the 5D3 and the Sony A7 so here is how they compare:The 5d3 has great dynamic range over all. Only when you push the shadows abnormally, my Sony A 7 has an advantage. The adavantage only exists at iso 100 and 200. At 400 both cameras are equal and from iso 800 the 5d3 takes the lead. The 5D3 is also much better at high iso noise. On 5D3 iso 6400  is usable on  the sony iso 1600 is the maxmum I would use.  In short: the 5d 3 is the best allround camera for me. Its  lightyears ahedad of sony with regards to operability. The opticval viewfinder is much, much better for careful composing. While the EVF of the sony shows more information, your eyes get tired from looking through it for prolonged periods of time.   Plus: There are no good AF-zoom lenses for the Sony. the kit lens 28-70 maybe ok for its cheap price, but the borders are fuzzy at every focal length and aperture. The Zeiss 24-70 is expensive, and fuzyy at wideangle. Its not even close to Canons 24-105.

I use the sony A7 only for scanning slides these days (with an adapted macro lens).  If you wan to get the shot each and every time, enjoy a huge choice of lenses and great usability, the 5 D3 is certianly the far better choice. I havent used the Nikon D800 so I cant comment on that.

filipebv
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
In reply to Albert Silver, 5 months ago

Looks to me more like a metering issue, no?

no mistake! the meter is in the nice blue sky...if i did the meter to shadows what happened? yes it´s a very amazing feature to have. hope next canon sensores are able to do this or best.

Albert Silver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,506Gear list
Like?
In reply to filipebv, 5 months ago

filipebv wrote:

Looks to me more like a metering issue, no?

no mistake! the meter is in the nice blue sky...if i did the meter to shadows what happened? yes it´s a very amazing feature to have. hope next canon sensores are able to do this or best.

Why would you meter the blue sky? Is that the subject of the photo?

Albert Silver's gear list:Albert Silver's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads