Canon EOS 5D Mark III: Is there any disadvantage?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
BPina
Forum MemberPosts: 79Gear list
Like?
Canon EOS 5D Mark III: Is there any disadvantage?
4 months ago

So, we all know the beauty of this camera, and how it may improve many types of photography. I love to shoot wide and indoors (low light), so i am considering to build cash to buy a shiny new 5D Mark IV when it comes out (have to build cash from now to be able to buy it).

The point is... There are many sites and threads on foruns that talk about how capable is this camera. But i couldn't find many with the disadvantages of it.

So, for you, owners, what do you complain about the Canon EOS 5D Mark III? I really want to cover all variables before spending that much money on this camera.

Thanks.

BPina's gear list:BPina's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Canon EOS 350D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +2 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Peter too
Contributing MemberPosts: 790
Like?
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III: Is there any disadvantage?
In reply to BPina, 4 months ago

The 5D3 is a very good camera but may not be the best for some applications. I still use my 7D for wildlife and macro photographs and may still use it for some outdoor sports. For low light, portraits, landscape and indoor sports I would use the 5D3.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bhollis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,634Gear list
Like?

BPina wrote:

So, we all know the beauty of this camera, and how it may improve many types of photography. I love to shoot wide and indoors (low light), so i am considering to build cash to buy a shiny new 5D Mark IV when it comes out (have to build cash from now to be able to buy it).

The point is... There are many sites and threads on foruns that talk about how capable is this camera. But i couldn't find many with the disadvantages of it.

So, for you, owners, what do you complain about the Canon EOS 5D Mark III? I really want to cover all variables before spending that much money on this camera.

It's a great all-round camera and I love mine, but . . .

A lot of landscape photographers would like a sensor with higher resolution and/or greater dynamic range.

A lot of action photographers would like a faster burst rate.

A lot of low-light photographers would like illuminated AF points.

bhollis's gear list:bhollis's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
Serickmetz
Contributing MemberPosts: 929Gear list
Like?

If there is a disadvantage to the 5D mk3 that is of any major importance, then it has already been discussed to death and you should have already come across that information in your searches.  Other then Major Disadvantages, the only minor ones it might have are up to you and your personal taste.

-- hide signature --

"Our imagination is nothing compared to nature's awesome reality." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Serickmetz's gear list:Serickmetz's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
hotdog321
Forum ProPosts: 10,449Gear list
Like?
Try these . . .

BPina wrote:

So, for you, owners, what do you complain about the Canon EOS 5D Mark III? I really want to cover all variables before spending that much money on this camera.

Thanks.

I'm a photojournalist and own two 5D III. Excellent mid-level pro camera. Drawbacks? Crippled SD slot. "Only" six frames per second (a little anemic for serious sports/action shooters.) No audio record function like on the 1D series cameras (handy for making notes, spelling names on the fly). No bells and whistles like built-in WiFi and GPS that some crave. Extremely complex, though useful auto focus. "Only" 22.3 megapixel sensor which is also somewhat outmoded compared to the latest bleeding-edge sensors offered by other manufacturers.

Enough? Quibbles mainly.

Boomanbb
Contributing MemberPosts: 672Gear list
Like?

For me it is the fact that it turns my 70-200mm f2.8 into a... 70-200mm f2.8. I much prefer the 1.6 crop factor of the 7D even though it is a lesser camera in almost all other areas. Now when Canon can develop and bring to market a 100-300mm f2.8 for $2000 I might be inclined to get a FF camera.

Ben

-- hide signature --

Disagree without being disagreeable

Boomanbb's gear list:Boomanbb's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +9 more
Hardwire
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
In reply to Boomanbb, 4 months ago

Boomanbb wrote:

For me it is the fact that it turns my 70-200mm f2.8 into a... 70-200mm f2.8. I much prefer the 1.6 crop factor of the 7D even though it is a lesser camera in almost all other areas. Now when Canon can develop and bring to market a 100-300mm f2.8 for $2000 I might be inclined to get a FF camera.

Ben

-- hide signature --

Thats hardly a fair complaint about the Canon 5d III specifically as the OP was considering waiting for the 5D IV too. That is a full frame VS crop issue (actually an issue of lens specification) so not very sporting to list it here.

qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hardwire, 4 months ago

Hardwire wrote:

Boomanbb wrote:

Ben

-- hide signature --

Thats hardly a fair complaint about the Canon 5d III specifically as the OP was considering waiting for the 5D IV too. That is a full frame VS crop issue (actually an issue of lens specification) so not very sporting to list it here.

+1.  If pixel density is what he wanted, stay with 7D or get 7D II when it's launched.  Otherwise for those willing spend more on longer lens, then the FF combo (although it's bigger/heavier) is much better than crop in IQ.  Get Sigam 120-300/2.8 OS Sport that is still $3500.

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,059Gear list
Like?

BPina wrote:

You haven't found many with disadvantages because it doesn't have many disadvantages. It is simply an amazing camera, probably one of the best DSLRs ever made. Now, there are 'disadvantages' people won't agree on such as DR, pixel count, size, weight, frame rate etc.

Thanks.

I shoot a lot of different things for hobby; wildlife, portrait, low light, landscape, candid/street, macro etc. I don't have any complaints although I know that it can be improved.

-- hide signature --

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

aftab's gear list:aftab's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +2 more
Dimes
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?

1 - "rate" button;

2 - zoom button is way not that handy as in 7D;

3 - burst rate;

4 - price.

Dimes's gear list:Dimes's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +3 more
cpkuntz
Contributing MemberPosts: 735
Like?

Others have pointed these out numerous times in these forums. Any advantages or disadvantages must be considered in relation to the alternatives. I'd say, overall, that the 5D III is a very capable and versatile camera. That said, relative to the 1DX, the autofocus system and burst rate and slightly higher noise at high ISO are disadvantages of the 5D3 compared to the 1DX. Compared to the Sony A7/A7R, disadvantages of the 5D3 include weight, dynamic range, and resolution. Compared to the A7S, the 5D3 has the disadvantage of much higher noise at high ISOs. Compared to its peer from Nikon, the D800/E, the 5D3 has the disadvantages of lower resolution and less dynamic range. With the release of the D810, some of the 5D3's advantages over the D800/E begin to look less prominent. The D810 now has a higher burst rate (still not 6 in full frame mode, though), a better grip, better live view, better AF, better buffer, and possibly higher resolution thanks to the lack of an OLPF (compared to the D800/E). So now there are very few advantages of the 5D3 over the D810. Perhaps build quality and AF? Only a detailed review will reveal how much the D810 has gained ground as a versatile tool compared to the 5D3. As a landscape camera, there are definitely better options than the 5D3. Compared to the D610, which otherwise has similar specifications, the 5D3 falls behind in resolution, dynamic range, and price.

To me, the chief disadvantage of the 5D3 compared to nearly all of its competitors remains relatively more read noise at low ISOs. This limits the sensor technology's ability to have greater dynamic range and more resolution, since the problem only gets worse with smaller pixels. I sincerely hope this problem is remedied in the 5D Mark IV.

Keith Z Leonard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,366Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dimes, 4 months ago

Dimes wrote:

1 - "rate" button;

I like it ok, I've actually use it now.

2 - zoom button is way not that handy as in 7D;

I moved mine to the "set" button, now it's just as good as it was with my 7D, but I agree, no reason to have moved it over, really.

3 - burst rate;

Bad compared to 7D but great compared to 5D2, this depends upon need I think.

4 - price.

Sure, though not terrible for a 35mm camera, wouldn't it be great if it were 10$??  

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Joe Mayer
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Like?

BPina wrote:

Well, there isn't much point in asking us what is wrong with the 5D3 if you're going to buy the 5D4 now, is there?

That's because there aren't any that are significant (for the 5D3).  There are some niggly things depending upon one's needs though.

Thanks.

You're not going to buy this camera.  I'm not trying to be combative, but why worry about what's imperfect about it when you're going to wait for the next iteration?  In any case, if you were to buy a 5D3 tomorrow, my opinion of having used a pair since they came out is that, for me, they lack only two things.  First, is the anemic SD slot.  I get it Canon.  If I want two fast CF slots, I need to buy 1 series.  Buy why give me an SD slot if it's going to slow down the CF slot?  So you can speed it up in the mk4 and make me buy another body?  Not a deal breaker but disappointing.  Next is illuminated low-light AF points.  Pretty niggly I know and far outweighed by the pluses but two things that have irritated me but not enough to ditch the camera or be able to use it in spite of them.

Joe Mayer's gear list:Joe Mayer's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +1 more
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Like?
In reply to cpkuntz, 4 months ago

cpkuntz wrote:

Others have pointed these out numerous times in these forums. Any advantages or disadvantages must be considered in relation to the alternatives. I'd say, overall, that the 5D III is a very capable and versatile camera. That said, relative to the 1DX, the autofocus system and burst rate and slightly higher noise at high ISO are disadvantages of the 5D3 compared to the 1DX. Compared to the Sony A7/A7R, disadvantages of the 5D3 include weight, dynamic range, and resolution. Compared to the A7S, the 5D3 has the disadvantage of much higher noise at high ISOs. Compared to its peer from Nikon, the D800/E, the 5D3 has the disadvantages of lower resolution and less dynamic range. With the release of the D810, some of the 5D3's advantages over the D800/E begin to look less prominent. The D810 now has a higher burst rate (still not 6 in full frame mode, though), a better grip, better live view, better AF, better buffer, and possibly higher resolution thanks to the lack of an OLPF (compared to the D800/E). So now there are very few advantages of the 5D3 over the D810. Perhaps build quality and AF? Only a detailed review will reveal how much the D810 has gained ground as a versatile tool compared to the 5D3. As a landscape camera, there are definitely better options than the 5D3. Compared to the D610, which otherwise has similar specifications, the 5D3 falls behind in resolution, dynamic range, and price.

To me, the chief disadvantage of the 5D3 compared to nearly all of its competitors remains relatively more read noise at low ISOs. This limits the sensor technology's ability to have greater dynamic range and more resolution, since the problem only gets worse with smaller pixels. I sincerely hope this problem is remedied in the 5D Mark IV.

Excuse me as I have not read entire spec of D810, but D810 has better Liveview than 5D3?

Someone summarized D800/E LV problems in the following thread.  Does D810 solve all these issues and now better than 5D3 which doesn't suffer these issues except slow CDAF which is not LV directly related.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3375055

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
BPina
Forum MemberPosts: 79Gear list
Like?
In reply to bhollis, 4 months ago

bhollis wrote:

BPina wrote:

It's a great all-round camera and I love mine, but . . .

A lot of landscape photographers would like a sensor with higher resolution and/or greater dynamic range.

A lot of action photographers would like a faster burst rate.

A lot of low-light photographers would like illuminated AF points.

Wow... The dynamic range is not good enough on 5D M3? It's one thing i kinda expected to be impecable to, like, 99% of photographers. You know, for a mid-range pro equipment.

BPina's gear list:BPina's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Canon EOS 350D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +2 more
DotCom Editor
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,588Gear list
Like?
5D Mark IV: It's coming

Some day. Perhaps.

Keith Z Leonard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,366Gear list
Like?
In reply to qianp2k, 4 months ago

I think he means the d810 has improved over the d800??

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Unexpresivecanvas
Senior MemberPosts: 1,075
Like?

One big disadvantage is that if you buy it, you will be tempted to go over the almost 600 pages of almost all great pictures in the POTN 5D-iii thread:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1294447&page=578

And other disadvantage is that the AF system is so advanced, it will take some time and some sweating to master it.

Ray Chen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,883Gear list
Like?
Only Three From Me

1. 1/200 sync speed wastes flash battery and kills range for daylight sync.

2. No second AF-ON mode like the 1D X to toggle between two settings.

3. No manual auto ISO exposure compensation.

-- hide signature --

____ ____ _ _ ____
|__/ |__| \ / |
| \ | | | |___ o

Ray Chen's gear list:Ray Chen's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X
cpkuntz
Contributing MemberPosts: 735
Like?
In reply to Keith Z Leonard, 4 months ago

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

I think he means the d810 has improved over the d800??

I knew this was awkwardly worded and ripe for misunderstanding :D. Yes, I meant compared to the D800/D800E. I did have a small note about that in parentheses, but I can see how my meaning was muddled. As I mentioned, I don't think we'll really be able to know whether the AF and Live View has caught up to the 5D3 until we have users with both cameras or detailed reviews of the D810. I hope my point was clear: the 5D3 is awesome, and you have to dig for "disadvantages" compared to other cameras. As a well-rounded instrument, there isn't quite anything like it, except maybe the 6D and D610. Whether the D810 is now just as well rounded (and with class-leading resolution and DR to boot) is a possibility that remains to be confirmed or denied.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads