panasonic gx7 or olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Hen3ry
Forum ProPosts: 10,968Gear list
Like?
Repeating - switch off the touch screen
In reply to gugarci, 5 months ago

gugarci wrote:

Robert Snow wrote:

I have lost most of the sight in my right eye, so I have to use a viewfinder using the left eye.

bob snow

I feel your pain although in my case I can't see well out of my left eye it's very hazy all the time. Before this happened I was using a D300 and had trained myself to start using the right eye instead so my nose wouldn't rub the LCD. Who knew this was going to happen.

I had to shift to right eye composition decades ago when astigmatism showed up in my left eye -- and that was in the day when we actually had to use our eyesight to focus. Took me more than a year to change over and start getting reasonable compositions again.

But good point. If you are a left eye shooter the EVF on the left side of the body is not ideal. I just picked up my GX7 and tried it. If was a left eye shooter I would of bought the E-M10 or E-M1. And I was considering both these bodies but the GX7 spoke to me the loudest. The Panasonic bodies, GH4, GH3, G6 & GX7 fit my hand like a tailor glove.

I would have bought the GX7 except that Panny did not give it the fully articulated screen! I bought the G6 instead -- that fully articulated screen is great. Among other things, you can shoot with the screen turned inwards so you don't accidentally change focus through touching the screen with your nose of fingers.

BUT -- AS I HAVE ALREADY POSTED, it is simple to switch off the touch screen in the Custom menu and if you want to have it readily available, you can add it to the Quick Menu or put it on a button.

Really, this is no biggy.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,828Gear list
Like?
Re: panasonic gx7 or olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?
In reply to jennajenna, 5 months ago

jennajenna wrote:

Yeyo wrote:

Advent1sam wrote:

jennajenna wrote:

Yeyo wrote:

Hey people which one do you recommend between panasonic gx7 and olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

I think you are making a mistake not considering a quality used e-m5; can be found for around $550 now.

I'd be very nervous of the em-5, on reflection mine suffered very badly with shutter shock and yes I liked it better than the EM-1, but I would be apprehensive about getting another. The 0 shutter shock mode on the 1 and 10 definitely help, however, the GX7 in silent mode is something else for a MILC.

You know I've read about the shutter shock issue and I guess I'm lucky but never experienced it. Also my brother owns an e-m5 too and his has been well behaved as well. I agree on the silent mode. Lovely feature but if you don't really plan to use it....

Leaning a bit more to the em10 and 5 because of the viewfinder center location im more used to the dslt center location i used a nex6 in christmas and didnt get used to the viewfinder location. But i dont know because i been reading the em10 video is lacking and i like sometimes to do a little video. Any opinion on video on em10 or em5?

That's a tough one. The gx7 clearly has a superior codec (higher bitrate). BUT your vids will "appear" better due to the inbody video stabilization of the olympus. I have a gh3 and e-m5 and to be honest the e-m5 looks better when I don't use a tripod or use a stabilized lens. And if you want to go somewhere where "small" is important then the olympus is your best choice.

A better codec is an entirely different issue in terms of image quality than mere stabilization. It handles things like color depth. Stabilization is about keeping things in focus.

I was shooting a video project using my GH2 and GX7 as A & B cameras. Each had a Voigtländer Nokton lens mounted (25mm on the GH2, 42.5mm on the GX7) and both cameras were on tripods. The GX7 image quality was dramatically better than the GH2. It was all about the codecs.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
LMNCT
Senior MemberPosts: 2,080Gear list
Like?
In reply to PC Wheeler, 5 months ago

The accessory eye cup  makes a great difference.

LMNCT's gear list:LMNCT's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +19 more
Robert Snow
Contributing MemberPosts: 739Gear list
Like?
In reply to LMNCT, 5 months ago

ditto!

Robert Snow's gear list:Robert Snow's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EOS 70D
Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,540
Like?
Re: The Ghent Image
In reply to Jim Mohundro, 5 months ago

Jim Mohundro wrote:

Re making images where "no photo" signs are posted, is there a forum here that discusses the ethics of such photography? I disagree with the poster who captured images in Ghent where photography was prohibited as to the ethics of such photography. I suspect that I'm not alone (but I might still be in a small minority) that respects prohibitions involving photography, but I certainly don't want to hijack this very polite (so far--unlike far too many DPR discussions) E-10 v GX7 thread for that purpose.

-- hide signature --

Jim Mohundro

No doubt there have been plenty of discussions on it in more than one forum, but I've not seen them, and anyway folks will follow their own personal inclinations. Personally, I've never felt deprived by not getting snaps in "photography not allowed" situations. There are plenty of photo opportunities out there for me to make my own art.

Even the postcard reproductions in the gift shop are better, imo -- no backs of tourists' heads seen in those pix.

-- hide signature --

Zin

jennajenna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,188
Like?
In reply to jeffharris, 5 months ago

jeffharris wrote:

A better codec is an entirely different issue in terms of image quality than mere stabilization. It handles things like color depth. Stabilization is about keeping things in focus.

"Stabilization is about keeping things in focus."

Actually stabilization has nothing to do with focus.

I've shot dozens of hours of footage with a 7-14mm at f8 with EVERYTHING in focus lol.

But without stabilization it appears shakey and blurry ~ which is totally jarring to the viewer.

Viewers never say - why didn't you use stabilization to keep your shot in focus - they say why the heck is the film so jerky. Like a sailboat in rough seas.

Here - read about what stabilization is about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_stabilization

"Image stabilization (IS) is a family of techniques used to reduce blurring associated with the motion of a camera during exposure. Specifically, it compensates for pan and tilt (angular movement, equivalent to yaw and pitch) of a camera or other imaging device."

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads