panasonic gx7 or olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Yeyo
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
panasonic gx7 or olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?
5 months ago

Hey people which one do you recommend between panasonic gx7 and olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jim Mohundro
Regular MemberPosts: 440Gear list
Like?
Re: panasonic gx7 or olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?
In reply to Yeyo, 5 months ago

Full disclosure: I recently acquired a GX7 in a move from my previous GX1 and its predecessor, a GF1, and I have a couple of Panny lenses, the relatively early kit 14-45 OIS zoom (surprisingly, it seems a gem to me; I've used it successfully on two European travels) and a new so-far-so-good 15mm f/1.7 Panasonic Summilux.

I think you'll be weighing the very good three-level IBIS on the E-M10, the lenses for it from both principal makers, its EVF and infrastructure (menu, dials, etc)/ergonomics, vs the GX7's EVF, and the lenses from both principal makers, and its very modest in-ody IBIS, coupled with any IS available and built into Panny zom lenses.

If I were to do it over again and had no lenses in hand, I'd be as likely to pick the Olympus as the GX7, so I'm probably more of a phioopher than a helpful respondent to your question; i.e., both cameras are pats of first-rate systems designed and manufactured by major, generally reliable companies. If budget was no object, and I was starting out unencumbered with gear, I suspect I'd yield my GAS to the Olympus E-M1; however, to date I've been pleased with the ergonomics, ease fo use of the Panny family, and the general IQ of the Panny lenses.

After reading inumerable posts here and elewhere over the last several months, and nothwithstanding the fact that my bst friend is an experienced Olympus user, and was preparing to make my next M43 "upgrade" decision, I'm more and more thinking that the wholly interchangeability of the Panasonic and Olympus lenses with each other's manufacturer's cameras may not be as straightforward as it appears to be, and, if I were making he decision of on system over the other I would more likely be trying to think ahead to which manufacturer's system of lenses is likely to (subjecively) produce the most satisfaction in IQ and usability for me and I would assume that the two lenses systems while technically interchangeable may not work that way in real life and that my camera body decision would now be based on the family of lenses that would best suit my purposes and with which I could most easily live.

If you were a person who enjoys fine wines and the foods to go with them, and I am, my selection method is to pick the wine (lens(es)), first and then decide the food (camera) to go with it(them).

I hope this lengthy, perhaps rambling more than a little birt answer is somwhat helpful and not entirely discouraging.

And by this time, I suspect you've gone on to the next post.

-- hide signature --

Jim Mohundro

Jim Mohundro's gear list:Jim Mohundro's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon D750 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gugarci
Senior MemberPosts: 1,079Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim Mohundro, 5 months ago

Go to a store and play with both bodies. Make sure the camera feels good in your hands, make sure you can access the dials and buttons easily, compared the menus and EVF. After you do all that buy the one that talks to you the loudest. IQ wise for stills they are the same, video the GX7 has the edge, IBIS the E-M10 has the edge, EVF's for me was a toss up.

gugarci's gear list:gugarci's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,629Gear list
Like?

Yeyo wrote:

Hey people which one do you recommend between panasonic gx7 and olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

Which leaves more of the budget for lenses?

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Andrew Butterfield
Senior MemberPosts: 2,437Gear list
Like?

I recently agonised over that one for some time.

At first I was convinced I was going to buy the GX7, but in the end I bought the E-M10. In the flesh, the GX7 seemed just a bit big and boxy compared to the E-M10, which feels so good in the hand. But you may think the opposite way. I sacrificed the tilting viewfinder, and maybe gained slightly better stabilisation. I also sacrificed better video choices, but I don't really do video. Having looked at all the pros and cons, it was just the look and feel that swayed me. I liked having the word Olympus on my camera and my lenses! In other words, this is the sort of choice you have to make with your heart. But I'm glad I chose the Olympus. It's the best camera I've ever had. I would probably have said that about the GX7 too!

-- hide signature --
 Andrew Butterfield's gear list:Andrew Butterfield's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
Yeyo
Like?
In reply to gugarci, 5 months ago

Go to a store and play with both bodies. Make sure the camera feels good in your hands, make sure you can access the dials and buttons easily, compared the menus and EVF. After you do all that buy the one that talks to you the loudest. IQ wise for stills they are the same, video the GX7 has the edge, IBIS the E-M10 has the edge, EVF's for me was a toss up.

Cant handle them in store because where i live there arent any store that sells mirrorless the only one (best buy) doesnt have them yet so i have to buy of the internet gonna purchase in bhphotovideo thank you for the reply.

Yeyo
Like?
In reply to Jim Mohundro, 5 months ago

Full disclosure: I recently acquired a GX7 in a move from my previous GX1 and its predecessor, a GF1, and I have a couple of Panny lenses, the relatively early kit 14-45 OIS zoom (surprisingly, it seems a gem to me; I've used it successfully on two European travels) and a new so-far-so-good 15mm f/1.7 Panasonic Summilux.

I think you'll be weighing the very good three-level IBIS on the E-M10, the lenses for it from both principal makers, its EVF and infrastructure (menu, dials, etc)/ergonomics, vs the GX7's EVF, and the lenses from both principal makers, and its very modest in-ody IBIS, coupled with any IS available and built into Panny zom lenses.

If I were to do it over again and had no lenses in hand, I'd be as likely to pick the Olympus as the GX7, so I'm probably more of a phioopher than a helpful respondent to your question; i.e., both cameras are pats of first-rate systems designed and manufactured by major, generally reliable companies. If budget was no object, and I was starting out unencumbered with gear, I suspect I'd yield my GAS to the Olympus E-M1; however, to date I've been pleased with the ergonomics, ease fo use of the Panny family, and the general IQ of the Panny lenses.

After reading inumerable posts here and elewhere over the last several months, and nothwithstanding the fact that my bst friend is an experienced Olympus user, and was preparing to make my next M43 "upgrade" decision, I'm more and more thinking that the wholly interchangeability of the Panasonic and Olympus lenses with each other's manufacturer's cameras may not be as straightforward as it appears to be, and, if I were making he decision of on system over the other I would more likely be trying to think ahead to which manufacturer's system of lenses is likely to (subjecively) produce the most satisfaction in IQ and usability for me and I would assume that the two lenses systems while technically interchangeable may not work that way in real life and that my camera body decision would now be based on the family of lenses that would best suit my purposes and with which I could most easily live.

If you were a person who enjoys fine wines and the foods to go with them, and I am, my selection method is to pick the wine (lens(es)), first and then decide the food (camera) to go with it(them).

I hope this lengthy, perhaps rambling more than a little birt answer is somwhat helpful and not entirely discouraging.

-- hide signature --

Jim Mohundro

Thanks for the input

Michael M Fliegel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,881Gear list
Like?
In reply to Andrew Butterfield, 5 months ago

Agree that either is a fine camera and you can't make a bad decision.  Look at both.

Michael M Fliegel's gear list:Michael M Fliegel's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +9 more
Yeyo
Like?
In reply to Michael M Fliegel, 5 months ago

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Hen3ry
Forum ProPosts: 10,960Gear list
Like?
GX7 would be my choice

Remember the EM10 has a new IBIS which is inferior (by definition) to the 5 way IBIS of the EM5 and EM1.

But it really depends on what you want to do with the camera. Which collection of features best matches your proposed use?

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
JohnLock
Regular MemberPosts: 472Gear list
Like?
EM10 is great w/ Pan 12-32
In reply to Hen3ry, 5 months ago

I liked it so much I bought a 2nd a month later.  Can't comment on GX7, but specs look good.

JL

JohnLock's gear list:JohnLock's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +6 more
Advent1sam
Senior MemberPosts: 1,343
Like?

Yeyo wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jim Mohundro

Thanks for the input

GX7 silent shutter is very addictive, it is an incredible differentiator from every other interchangeable lens camera, can be used anywhere? Add in twin axis is for non is primes and the incredible tilt evf and there is not much wrong with GX7.

Robert Snow
Contributing MemberPosts: 738Gear list
Like?

Yeyo wrote:

I recently bought a GX7, and it is a great little camera.  I do have a couple of gripes, and if I could have played with both cameras before buying, I would probably have gone with the em10.

Why?  Number 1:  I have lost most of the sight in my right eye, so I have to use a viewfinder using the left eye.  With the GX7's left side EVF, my nose touches the LCD and constantly changes the focus point.  Why not turn the EVF upward far enough to not do this?  I do when I can, but if you mount a flash on the camera, then Number 2:  I have not found a flash that can be mounted and still get upward movement of the EVF.  DARN!

Unfortunately, I mostly use this camera for family and friends photography, and if you can use the LCD, all is well.  If not, you are outta luck.

I know from owning a Panny G and GH series that my nose doesn't touch when the viewfinder is in a central position.

Of course, this seems like nitpicking, but for me it has been a mess.  I love the camera, but from all I read, I would probably like the EM10 too.  I am going to list my GX7 for sale shortly, and wait to see what Photokina brings.

Just my experience...

bob snow

Robert Snow's gear list:Robert Snow's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EOS 70D
Yeyo
Like?
In reply to Robert Snow, 5 months ago

Yeyo wrote:

I recently bought a GX7, and it is a great little camera.  I do have a couple of gripes, and if I could have played with both cameras before buying, I would probably have gone with the em10.

Why?  Number 1:  I have lost most of the sight in my right eye, so I have to use a viewfinder using the left eye.  With the GX7's left side EVF, my nose touches the LCD and constantly changes the focus point.  Why not turn the EVF upward far enough to not do this?  I do when I can, but if you mount a flash on the camera, then Number 2:  I have not found a flash that can be mounted and still get upward movement of the EVF.  DARN!

Unfortunately, I mostly use this camera for family and friends photography, and if you can use the LCD, all is well.  If not, you are outta luck.

I know from owning a Panny G and GH series that my nose doesn't touch when the viewfinder is in a central position.

Of course, this seems like nitpicking, but for me it has been a mess.  I love the camera, but from all I read, I would probably like the EM10 too.  I am going to list my GX7 for sale shortly, and wait to see what Photokina brings.

Just my experience...

bob snow

Thanks for your experience!

neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,585Gear list
Like?
In reply to Advent1sam, 5 months ago

Advent1sam wrote:

Yeyo wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jim Mohundro

Thanks for the input

GX7 silent shutter is very addictive

Yes a great feature.

, it is an incredible differentiator from every other interchangeable lens camera, can be used anywhere?

Almost anywhere. There are issues in fluoro lighting and if panning.

Also the A7s has it too....and without limits on the ISO.

Still it is the only camera (so far) with touch screen/touch shutter and touch AF and silent shutter!

Add in twin axis is for non is primes and the incredible tilt evf and there is not much wrong with GX7.

To me, the GX7 has more tech than just about any camera but in many cases it is not the best of each.

A nice camera, but as I have said before a bit of a jack of all trades and master of a few type camera.

I HATE the Gx7 grip....others will love it.

The tilting EVF and touch screen are great....silent shutter is a very nice feature that has not yet reached its full potential.

neil holmes's gear list:neil holmes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II +17 more
dv312
Senior MemberPosts: 1,847Gear list
Like?
I lean towards the EM10

I think they are both great cameras

The form factor may be the biggest differentiator: RF style vs SLT style

the EM10 + grip is a pleasure to hold , especially with large lenses

I own the EM10 and have toyed with the GX7 and I find the build a bit better with the EM10

The EM10 EVF seems brighter, larger, and sharper to my eyes

The EM10 has IBIS + 81 AF point to the 23 AF point and no IBIS on the GX7

EM10 2 dial system is a pleasure to use

The GX7 has better video

Pana menu system may be easier to the novice than the Olympus

EM10 can shoot 8fps vs 5 for the GX7

Best is to borrow from someone and handle both for everything else should be similar including IQ

You can't go wrong with either

Also think about the whole system for Oly lenses work better on Oly bodies and vice versa

Best wishes,

Cheers

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +7 more
Hen3ry
Forum ProPosts: 10,960Gear list
Like?
Bob -- snow need to make a drastic change. A simple fix…
In reply to Robert Snow, 5 months ago

Robert Snow wrote:

Yeyo wrote:

I recently bought a GX7, and it is a great little camera. I do have a couple of gripes, and if I could have played with both cameras before buying, I would probably have gone with the em10.

Why? Number 1: I have lost most of the sight in my right eye, so I have to use a viewfinder using the left eye. With the GX7's left side EVF, my nose touches the LCD and constantly changes the focus point. Why not turn the EVF upward far enough to not do this? I do when I can, but if you mount a flash on the camera, then Number 2: I have not found a flash that can be mounted and still get upward movement of the EVF. DARN!

…for the nose-on-screen problem is at hand.

Just turn that off in the menus.

On the G6 (which I have) it is Menu > Custom > Touch Settings.

It should be similar for the GX7.

You should find the info at an early point in the manual (it is on page 18 in the G6 manual in the "Before Use" section -- "Enabling/Disabling the touch functions").

If you wish to turn it on/off quickly, you can probably assign it to a button or add it to the Quick Menu.

Darned manuals -- the cameras are so good these days -- but so complex -- you practically need to do PhD studies just to operate them (goodness knows what qualifications you need to design them!).

Such a pity that Panasonic did not put the wonderful fully articulated screen on the GX7. I would have bought it in a blink if they had. So useful.

(I just got around to doing some custom buttons and customizing the Quick Menu somewhat on the
G6 after being poked and prodded by some of the friendly people on this forum. I've only been using it for six months!!!

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,585Gear list
Like?
Re: I lean towards the EM10
In reply to dv312, 5 months ago

dv312 wrote:

I think they are both great cameras

The form factor may be the biggest differentiator: RF style vs SLT style

the EM10 + grip is a pleasure to hold , especially with large lenses

I own the EM10 and have toyed with the GX7 and I find the build a bit better with the EM10

The EM10 EVF seems brighter, larger, and sharper to my eyes

GX7 EVF is larger .....that it tilts is very nice at least to me.

The EM10 has IBIS + 81 AF point to the 23 AF point and no IBIS on the GX7

EM10 2 dial system is a pleasure to use

The GX7 has better video

Yes to a point.    Video is limited in both though (on the GX7 max ISO 3200 and no mic input).

GX7 does have very nice mp4 compared to most cameras besides AVCHD.

Pana menu system may be easier to the novice than the Olympus

EM10 can shoot 8fps vs 5 for the GX7

That is with continuous AF.   Gx7 can do 10fps at full size and 40fps at reduced size with focus and exposure locked.

Best is to borrow from someone and handle both for everything else should be similar including IQ

You can't go wrong with either

Also think about the whole system for Oly lenses work better on Oly bodies and vice versa

Best wishes,

Cheers

GX7 flash sync is 1/320 VS 1/200 for the Oly and the GX7 silent shutter has it uses.

If I was buying today, I might still choose the GX7 but there is a lot that could be better in it.

neil holmes's gear list:neil holmes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II +17 more
Robert Snow
Contributing MemberPosts: 738Gear list
Like?
Re: Bob -- snow need to make a drastic change. A simple fix…
In reply to Hen3ry, 5 months ago

Thanks for the suggestion Geoff, but I do use the 'touch' system quite a bit, especially if I am shooting a mostly stationary person or small group.  However, most of the time, I don't really need it.

bob snow

Robert Snow's gear list:Robert Snow's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EOS 70D
Isacas
Regular MemberPosts: 489Gear list
Like?

I have both....both produce equally excellent images, but emotionally I've connected with the em10 more. I had the EM5 and liked it a lot, but never loved it. I love the em10 and like the GX7 a lot.  Both are super cameras... It{s up to you now. Good luck...

Isacas's gear list:Isacas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads