Olympus - stabilizer on or off - Guy

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Isabel Cutler
Forum ProPosts: 14,833
Like?
Olympus - stabilizer on or off - Guy
5 months ago

Have been working on a book of images, many of them landscapes, taken during our recent trip to the Yorkshire Dales.

Have been disappointed with lack of detail in many of them and am wondering if I had turned off the stabilizer, as you have recommended numerous times, if my images would have been better.

Have you made any side by side tests of stabilizer on/off images?

Isabel

gugarci
Senior MemberPosts: 1,096Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus - stabilizer on or off - Guy
In reply to Isabel Cutler, 5 months ago

Coming from the Nikon world, D300, I learned to turn it off when it was not needed, tripod, shutter speeds above 500 of a sec. But not every one does this.

Here's a Thom Hogan article which pertains to the Niokn's VR but it's worth reading.
http://www.bythom.com/nikon-vr.htm

I have a GX7 and occasionaly but on the rare side when i leave the IBIS on at reallty high shutter speeds I will sometime get some weird results. I have taken over 500 images with my GX7 and have 5 images like the one in my thread below. See my thread below.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3698685

Here's another link with an interesting take.
http://photographylife.com/proof-that-vibration-reduction-should-first-be-stabilized
I'm still leaving the IBIS on for now but I'm testing it using the method in the link above to let the IBIS settle for a second or two before I press the shutter. But I agree with Thom, the IBIS or VR is to help with movement at slowe shutter speeds. At high shutter speeds it's not needed. So why try to fix an issue, camera movement, under situations that doe not need fixing.

gugarci's gear list:gugarci's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
String
Senior MemberPosts: 1,432Gear list
Like?

Not sure if you are asking "everyone" or just Guy... however, IBIS is an amazing feature on Olympus cameras and for me, its on all the time unless the camera is on a tripod. Now with that being said, IBIS is not a crutch for poor technique; you still have to pay attention to what you are doing as a photographer and know what your hand holding limits are.

I've read a fair amount about shutter shock however I cant say as I've really noticed it with the E-M5.

String's gear list:String's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +6 more
Isabel Cutler
Like?
Re: Asking EVERYONE
In reply to String, 5 months ago

My tests have been limited, but I really don't see a difference.

Also interested in knowing what is the minimum aperture with the e-pl5 that one can use before getting degradation of the image.

I'm having to edit the heck out of my landscapes with this camera.  (Used mainly the 12-40)

Isabel

naskomarinov
Forum MemberPosts: 75Gear list
Like?

Isabel Cutler wrote:

Have been working on a book of images, many of them landscapes, taken during our recent trip to the Yorkshire Dales.

Have been disappointed with lack of detail in many of them and am wondering if I had turned off the stabilizer, as you have recommended numerous times, if my images would have been better.

Isabel

Hi Isabel,

First of all we have to know what apperture /f number/ you have used to take these landskapes, lens and the shutter speed.

Probably you know that open wide the apperture gives a softer image and you have to close it for example form 3.5 to 7.1-8 /usually I take landskape shots in that range/.

The shutter speed is important too especially when you have no tripod and take pictures handheld. The rule is simle for oly 2 x lens mm = a appropriate shutter speed. With stabilisation you can go 2-3 stops down but in most of the cases the rule works well. For example if you shoot at 30 mm you have to keep 1/60 shutter speed to avoid hand shakes. In these cases keep the IS on.

But if you use a tripod turn the stabilisation off because the IS engine thinks that the moving objects in the frame are actually a camera shake and is trying to remove them so you will have a blurred image.

And finally see the sutter shock menu in your camera. On OLY models there is a problem with it so I keep the Shutter shok with 1/8 setting on. That means when you push the shutter button on the camera it actually takes the picture 1/8 of the second later to avoid the shutter shok wich produse "camera" shake and blurry image.

naskomarinov's gear list:naskomarinov's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
rozek
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to naskomarinov, 5 months ago

I have taken images with my EM5 mounted on a tripod with IBIS on and have not noticed any degradation of the image.  I probably should have turned it off but forgot and the images turned out nice and sharp at 100% magnification.

Michael M Fliegel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,896Gear list
Like?

Can you post an example?

I rarely use my tripod and shoot LSF jpegs.   I always leave IS1 on.

Michael M Fliegel's gear list:Michael M Fliegel's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +9 more
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 27,572Gear list
Like?

I've inadvertently left IBIS on here and there on a tripod, but with a 2s timer and either 1/8s or 0s shutter delay in effect, they were mostly OK (but some were questionable).

The only other thing that comes to mind is the ground on which the tripod sits.  I've come to realize when I pace or just shift weight during long exposures I have to be conscious of whether that could cause the ground (rocks, moss, sand, platform planks, etc.) to move the tripod imperceptibly.  I suppose you've got that covered, but thought it worth mentioning anyway.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Tony8232
Senior MemberPosts: 1,171Gear list
Like?

Isabel Cutler wrote:

Isabel

Isabel I leave it on since I don't notice any image degradation. at what shutter speeds did this problem occur and what lens at what f/stop were you using. If you check your photos something common to all the disappointing ones will come up. Perhaps it's a certain lens at a certain f/stop causing the problem. As far as leaving IBIS on it's easy to test for yourself by taking a series of pictures.

Tony8232's gear list:Tony8232's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Pikme
Senior MemberPosts: 1,640Gear list
Like?

Not sure whether you used a tripod or not, but I would definitely recommend turning IBIS off when using a tripod.  Having said that, I have frequently forgotten to turn it off and rarely noticed an issue anyway.  But it is still important to use good tripod technique (antishock, etc.) and I don't think the longer lenses without tripod collars (e.g. 75-300) work very well on tripods if there is any wind.

Perhaps you have issues with the dreaded shutter shock?  I have had very few myself, but believe it varies from camera to camera, lens to lens, and technique to technique.

As for handheld, I've done lots of testing and concluded every time that having IBIS on either helps or is neutral;  the only time I've ever had IBIS degrade an image was with the EPM2 and E30 when panning.  I realized that I often 'panned' accidentally by starting focus before I was ready to take an image and I had to learn to stop doing that.

With the EM5, I've tested panning with all three IS modes on and found there was little difference between them in practice.  It was actually very difficult for me to induce IBIS degradation even while actively panning with the wrong mode turned on.  I've been very impressed with the EM5 IBIS.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

Allan Brown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,701
Like?

Isabel Cutler wrote:

Isabel

With my EPM1 and EPL5, I find that if I have shutter shock evident in the photo, it is when the stabilizer is ON. Even when SS is not clearly discernible, I get far sharper photos when IBIS is OFF.

I know there is no "Official" evidence that there is a link between SS and IBIS but that is my experience.

Allan

jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,428Gear list
Like?

Isabel Cutler wrote:

My tests have been limited, but I really don't see a difference.

Also interested in knowing what is the minimum aperture with the e-pl5 that one can use before getting degradation of the image.

I'm having to edit the heck out of my landscapes with this camera. (Used mainly the 12-40)

Isabel

Isabel, when I had the EPM2, the first day I took it out I was getting less sharp images than I expected (with the kit 14-42mm).  I remembered about the IBIS and the 1/8 sec delay, and turned the IBIS off and the 1/8 sec delay on, and had no problems at all after that.

So, I never had the IBIS on in the EPM2 after that except if I was in a very slow shutter speed situation where it would definitely have a positive effect.  Others may have different experiences, but that was mine.

The EM1 was a different story.  I only rarely turned it off in that camera, since it really worked well and without obvious artifacts, but the EPM2 was fussy.

-J

Paulmorgan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,195
Like?

Isabel Cutler wrote:

Isabel

I often forget to turn IS off when using a tripod but I have never seen a drop in quality.

Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 19,496Gear list
Like?
Isabel......

Slow to see this, was sleeping most of the time and now been distracted by the horrible shooting down of the Malaysian Airlines plane in Ukraine. Truly awful.... The number of USA citizens involved not disclosed so far but 27 Australians were on it.

Isabel Cutler wrote:

With my E-PL5 I leave off IBIS/OIS most of the time and only turn it one when I see or fear that it is needed, just a habit after seeing how my E-PL1 made all IBIS shots at safe shutter speeds a tiny bit blurry (only a tiny bit, not enough to lose sleep over). I also always now use 1/8 sec anti-shock for possible anti-shock reasons, though I can't really say that I've seen any shutter shock before or after.

Not lately with the E-PL5, it's on the to-do list as the 12-40mm lens makes things steadier and more stable. Seeing that it is the same 2 axis IBIS as the E-PL1 I would expect much the same result.

As for aperture range, most lenses wide open are at their worst (except the 12-40mm at 12mm or so) and from maybe f/8 and smaller apertures will start to degrade gradually from diffraction, but not alarmingly so unless right at f/22. For everyday tourist type shots I mostly leave the 12-40mm at f/5.6, a happy M4/3 version of the old rule "f/8 and be there".Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
tjdean01
Senior MemberPosts: 2,159Gear list
Like?
Keep it off - See these pics

I wrote two threads about this over at m43s.com. The IBIS on the PM2 makes my 40-150 look like garbage. Off, however, and bumping up the ISO, the lens is a champ.  The following test was based on several shots taken with the Sigma 30 handheld.  I think I took 10 shots with it on and 10 with it off at around 1/15 of a second.  Only 2 handheld were good, but they were SHARP.  About 4 were usable with IBIS on, but as you can see, they are systematically not sharp.

And, after living with it for a while, here's my conclusive thread: http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=63934

5-axis might be better but no one has seemed to do the comparisons that I did with a 5-axis camera.

I do know that 2-axis you might want to hit ISO1600 before turning it on.

Isabel Cutler
Like?
Yes...that plane incident was very shocking and sad...
In reply to Guy Parsons, 5 months ago

Surprised that commercial planes flew through that air space.

I've turned on the 1/8 second delay and the e-pl5 shutter release sounds more like that of the e-pl5 now - I can hear the delay.

I will have to try using f/5.6 for landscapes and see if I get enough depth of field.

Now that I have the second e-pl5 whose back controller is working properly with no skiipping and stutter through settings, I'm annoyed that although I had my misbehaving first body fixed, it's back to the same jumping through settings.

I'm not going to pay to send it back when I suspect that after a few weeks the repair will return to misfiring again.

Isabe;

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads