20mm f/2.8 options

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Nigli
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
20mm f/2.8 options
5 months ago

Hi all,

Just after the big move from Prague to Hamburg, my tripod was set up and two people whom I dearly love decided to play chasing around it. The inevitable happened, a tripod leg was tripped over and my beloved and just repaired FA 20mm f/2.8 went crack into two pieces.
I'm almost too embarrassed to return it to the shop for repairs.
I'm interested in options for a 30mm equiv and to this end have a question or two:
Has anyone used the FA 20 and the 20-40 ltd at f2.8; if yes, how do they compare?
Has anyone used the FA 20 and the 21 ltd: if yes, how do they compare at maximum aperture?
Any other prime suggestions for 20-24 mm/ 30-35 mm equiv that are small-ish? I'd even consider a Zeiss 25 mm in k mount.
Thanks for feedback.
--
Cheers,
N

Nigli's gear list:Nigli's gear list
Pentax K-5 +1 more
Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,518
Like?
Re: 20mm f/2.8 options
In reply to Nigli, 5 months ago

Nigli wrote:

Has anyone used the FA 20 and the 21 ltd: if yes, how do they compare at maximum aperture?

I did a brick wall test of the two, and could not see any difference between them.

That was years ago, though, with the *ist D. At the same time, I could see (with the same test procedure) that the FA20 F2.8 at F2.8 (wide open) was noticeably sharper than the Sigma 20 F1.8 stopped down to F2.8.

Joe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 3,171Gear list
Like?

Sorry, the only 20mm f/2.8 I can do in K-mount is to set my Tamron 17-50 at 20mm.  It is a very good lens for a zoom but probably not up to the standards of your prime.  Set it to f/4 though and it's a different story.

Cheers.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Nigli
Like?
In reply to Joseph Tainter, 5 months ago

Thanks Joe. Brick walls have their uses!
--
Cheers,
N
nigelrobinson.wordpress.com

Pentax K-5 +1 more
Conjure
Regular MemberPosts: 328
Like?

Nigli wrote:

Hi all,

Just after the big move from Prague to Hamburg, my tripod was set up and two people whom I dearly love decided to play chasing around it. The inevitable happened, a tripod leg was tripped over and my beloved and just repaired FA 20mm f/2.8 went crack into two pieces.
I'm almost too embarrassed to return it to the shop for repairs.
I'm interested in options for a 30mm equiv and to this end have a question or two:
Has anyone used the FA 20 and the 20-40 ltd at f2.8; if yes, how do they compare?
Any other prime suggestions for 20-24 mm/ 30-35 mm equiv that are small-ish? I'd even consider a Zeiss 25 mm in k mount.
Thanks for feedback.
--
Cheers,
N

maybe you have not read this:

"The Pentax SMC-FA 20mm f/2.8 is a pretty good lens but the current SMC-DA 21mm f/3.2 Limited is a little better all-in-all."

http://www.photozone.de/pentax/119-pentax-smc-fa-20mm-f28-review--test-report?start=2

cheers

Anton

Richard B.
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,426Gear list
Like?

Bad luck with your 20mm. I can't make any comparisons, but I do use the 21mm DA Ltd as my main walk around lens and have been very happy with the results. I would say the results are consistent with the other Ltd primes.

It might be worth noting that max aperture is f3.2 rather than the f2.8 you are looking for. I looked through my library, but I haven't used the lens much wide open - plenty of nice results at f4 and f5.6 though.

Also, on the plus side it is a small light lens, built in (removable) lens hood.

If interested, I have a gallery of all 21mm DA Ltd shots at http://www.rbpics.com/p564129749

-- hide signature --
 Richard B.'s gear list:Richard B.'s gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
Leandros S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,111Gear list
Like?
Please get it repaired

If it's repairable, please get it repaired. We need to keep the good lenses around - if nothing else, for the sake of future Pentaxians.

What happened to you could happen to anyone.

-- hide signature --

No amount of perceived entitlement can replace actual expertise.

JNR
JNR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,918Gear list
Like?
Re: Please get it repaired
In reply to Leandros S, 5 months ago

Leandros S wrote:

If it's repairable, please get it repaired. We need to keep the good lenses around - if nothing else, for the sake of future Pentaxians.

What happened to you could happen to anyone.

-- hide signature --

No amount of perceived entitlement can replace actual expertise.

Hmm. Depends on the parameters. If light weight or blind allegiance to primes is the primary consideration, don't bother to consider alternatives (I understand that desire).

Otherwise, I would be surprised if anything beats the Sigma 18-35 stopped down all the way to f/2.8 - let alone at f/2.4 or f/2, or at 24mm, etc. Of course, it is one very substantial lens, and there's no getting around that. Those of us who have worked in medium format film don't quite understand the problem, though.

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +1 more
Nigli
Like?
In reply to JNR, 5 months ago

Hi James,
Good point on the Sigma 18-35. Weight per se doesn't bother me much - my Pentax 6x7 still gets plenty of time in my pack when hiking in the mountains. For my K5, however, I'd prefer something compact. (What I tend do is take both with an adaptor, a somewhat fiddly compromise but on which can produce nice results).
Thanks for the input.
--
Cheers,
N

Pentax K-5 +1 more
Nigli
Like?
In reply to Leandros S, 5 months ago

Hi Leandros,
This lens has been to the shop 3 times already for repairs since 2006 and my guy, the lovely Mr. Kautsky of Pentax Foto Servis, has had increasing difficulty sourcing parts. I can't recommend him highly enough.
It does seem a bit fragile, however, notwithstanding the last blip, and I was hoping a limited might be a bit tougher.
I'm in two minds about the whole thing, to be honest. Ach jo.
--
Cheers,
N

Pentax K-5 +1 more
Nigli
Like?
In reply to Conjure, 5 months ago

Hi Anton,
I've read that and did find it relevant and helpful. Cheers.
--
Cheers,
N

Pentax K-5 +1 more
Nigli
Like?
In reply to Richard B., 5 months ago

Hi Richard, thabks for the gallery and comments.
--
Cheers,
N

Pentax K-5 +1 more
dlacoutu
Contributing MemberPosts: 809Gear list
Like?

In a completely different direction, you could also go for a 2nd system altogether : for less than the price of the DA 21 lens alone (around 515€ here), you can have a decent Samsung NX camera with its pancake 20/2.8 lens thrown in (249€ + 199€ last time I checked)...

That's what I opted for, for my "go light" photo forays : a NX200 with the 30/2 pancake, despite having a K5+sigma 30/1.4 lying around.

And now the smallish Samyang 12/2 is really tempting me (despite, again, already owning the Sigma 8-16 for the K5).

dlacoutu's gear list:dlacoutu's gear list
Samsung NX100 Pentax K-5 Samsung NX200 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +6 more
Nigli
Like?
In reply to dlacoutu, 5 months ago

Hi Dlacoutu,

It would be more like a 7th system, unfortunately. I don't think my wife is so unobservant as to not notice . The financial argument is a good one tho; would you have a gallery to look at with that combo?
--
Cheers,
N

Pentax K-5 +1 more
dlacoutu
Contributing MemberPosts: 809Gear list
Like?

Well, I only have the 30/2 pancake, so, no...

But a quick search on flickr returned quite a bunch of nice samples.

And you can still make it a present to your wife, so she starts "taking high-quality photos"... That's how I've done it

I'd just avoid the nx200 if I were you, 'cause it has a stupid built-in vignetting correction that can't be disabled (even on RAW files) and that prevents any shadow-lifting in post...

dlacoutu's gear list:dlacoutu's gear list
Samsung NX100 Pentax K-5 Samsung NX200 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +6 more
DAVID MANZE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,830Gear list
Like?
In reply to dlacoutu, 5 months ago

The Tamron will do it!  (17-50)

I was doing AF adjustments the other day on the K3, I have the DA 21mm 3.2 and the FA 50mm 1.4 and it is equal to both at F2.8 and beats both after that for sharpness, (the FA 50mm is a dammed good lens)  I think it will match the 20mm F2.8 and could even beat it!

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads