To A6000 owners

Started 4 months ago | Questions
mosava
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?
To A6000 owners
4 months ago

What is your opinion about the green and yellow auto modes?

I never used them, but then, I saw my wife's pictures, and they were bad! Soft and out of focus, not ONE good picture with i or i+! In a scene with people and trees about 5 meters behind, always missing the people, even with AF lock on...

In P mode, and the others, no problem.

For me, the auto modes are absolutely useless!

I do not mind, as I always use manual focus lenses with S and auto ISO, but the question is: do I have a bad camera, or do you have the same problem and are waiting for some software upgrade?

-- hide signature --

Just passing by...

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JohnK
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,488Gear list
Like?
Re: To A6000 owners
In reply to mosava, 4 months ago

Hi mosava, personally I like very much the results from the gold auto setting, I use it frequently, unless I need to control the aperture or shutter speed for a particular shot. If focus is off, try using center focus area with recompose. That usually will nail it.

-- hide signature --

JohnK
Off the record.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mosava
Like?
In reply to JohnK, 4 months ago

Thank you for your answer.

The problem is, in I+ mode, the camera doesn't let me change focus area! Only drive mode, flash mode and focus mode... It doesn't let me select spot focus.

Maybe I should really RTFM! LOL

-- hide signature --

Just passing by...

zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 22,029Gear list
Like?

One of the things I despise most about Sony's full auto modes is that there's no control over focus area - which is the most crucial thing I need control over with any camera - even if I accept a tiny all-auto P&S pocket camera, I want to be able to change focus area.  Sony auto modes have always blocked those out, so even on all my P&S cameras and all the way up to my DSLRs and mirrorless, I've never used any of the auto modes.

That said, when I sold my RX10 to my stepfather to replace the NEX3, he's not super-knowledgeable about camera settings so I told him to try out iAuto mode just to see if it would help him - he had been using P on the NEX3 at my recommendation but never made any of the changes to anything and his results were mixed.  On his last trip to Central America and California, he got the best set of photos he's ever come back with.  So I guess for some people, depending on what they shoot, these modes can be good (he shoots mostly scenic and landscape, plus photos of friends and family, both indoor and outdoor...the auto modes did well in determining when he was indoor and controlling ISO and flash well for his portraits and closeups, leveling backlighting, and still delivering full res and good DOF for landscapes).

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
mosava
Like?
In reply to zackiedawg, 4 months ago

Thank you. I guess i'll have to choose between auto and P when I handle the camera to my wife for taking pictures of the grand daughter. P when I know where they will be, and auto for mixed environments? Or maybe P with auto ISO and telling her to watch the shutter speed... We'll see.

I like very much the camera anyway because I bought it as a digital film back for the 15 or 20 Kg of legacy lenses and bellows laying around our home... and it is great for that purpose.

-- hide signature --

Just passing by...

Walie
Regular MemberPosts: 260Gear list
Like?

mosava wrote:

Thank you. I guess i'll have to choose between auto and P when I handle the camera to my wife for taking pictures of the grand daughter. P when I know where they will be, and auto for mixed environments? Or maybe P with auto ISO and telling her to watch the shutter speed... We'll see.

I like very much the camera anyway because I bought it as a digital film back for the 15 or 20 Kg of legacy lenses and bellows laying around our home... and it is great for that purpose.

-- hide signature --

Just passing by...

Maybe observe how your wife is using the camera. Could be user error, most if the time it's user error.

Walie's gear list:Walie's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
missingendpoint
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?
In reply to JohnK, 4 months ago

JohnK wrote:

Hi mosava, personally I like very much the results from the gold auto setting, I use it frequently, unless I need to control the aperture or shutter speed for a particular shot. If focus is off, try using center focus area with recompose. That usually will nail it.

-- hide signature --

JohnK
Off the record.

How does one set 'center focus' in gold auto?

prtsmnn1
Regular MemberPosts: 192Gear list
Like?

Tried out the green scene mode over the weekend and used it on 40-50 shots I would say 2 thirds of them were out of focus and very soft. In low light I got my best shots with the green mode.
I do most of my photography in raw which works better for me. I don 't plan to use the scene modes much anymore.

prtsmnn1's gear list:prtsmnn1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Sony a6000 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +12 more
darkdirtydwarf
Contributing MemberPosts: 804Gear list
Like?

mosava wrote:

I did just try the A6000, but own an A7, which is basically the same in this respect. I never use any Auto mode (even P actually) for the simple reason that the camera, unless the light is really good (which is almost never my case, we lack sun in Germany), sticks to 1/60s shutter speeds, which makes all the images of moving people a blurry mess, not to mention camera shake with longer lenses.

I mean, it's not that bad, but it's not really reliable. Please note that I'm a huge Sony fan boy and since my first NEX5 camera, I stuck with this company's cameras trough the NEX5N, A55, A7 and I'm about to get an A6000

I never used them, but then, I saw my wife's pictures, and they were bad! Soft and out of focus, not ONE good picture with i or i+! In a scene with people and trees about 5 meters behind, always missing the people, even with AF lock on...

This sounds more like user error (unless the shutter speed is too low). AF results are independent from the mode you use in my experience and usually good. I used to take plenty of images at parties using the NEX5N with the SEL16F28 and always had good results despite the low light. The A6000 is much better (tested last weekend) and though the tracking is not as good as I though it'd be, the AF is blazing fast and spot on on still/slow moving subjects.

Also, remember that i+ uses multiframe, this could be the culprit of blurry images if shot in low light without keeping the camera in position during all the shots.

Well, the auto modes are basically a pimped P mode. If this one works, the others should work too.

some scene modes can be put to good use, for example the multi frame scenes.

I do not mind, as I always use manual focus lenses with S and auto ISO, but the question is: do I have a bad camera, or do you have the same problem and are waiting for some software upgrade?

I would check the auto modes to make images of still subjects and start from there, making sure to avoid camera shake using a tripod or putting the camera on a table or something. I believe this is user error.

darkdirtydwarf's gear list:darkdirtydwarf's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
mosava
Like?
In reply to darkdirtydwarf, 4 months ago

"Well, the auto modes are basically a pimped P mode. If this one works, the others should work too."

I won't agree on that one, because in P mode, you are allowed to choose the focus area...

-- hide signature --

Just passing by...

mosava
Like?
In reply to prtsmnn1, 4 months ago

Welcome to the club!

-- hide signature --

Just passing by...

AHM
AHM
Regular MemberPosts: 356Gear list
Like?

mosava wrote:

-- hide signature --

Just passing by...

Sorry, I think it has more to do with your wife than iAuto! When I give the camera to my wife, I tell her to alway put it in iAuto, and she gets some very good shots.

I think there is some arrogance among more 'professional' photographers about the iAuto modes. But actually, I think they work better than the P-mode. I realized that when I got the 35mm F1.8 lens. In P-mode (and S-mode) the camera essentially refuses to use an aperture larger than F4.0. But in iAuto it uses apertures up to F1.8 in an intelligent way -- the way P-mode should do, but does not. So, iAuto is perhaps a better P-mode -- except of course you cannot control much.

AHM's gear list:AHM's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Samyang 12mm 1:2.0 NCS CS
mosava
Like?
In reply to missingendpoint, 4 months ago

That's the problem: you can't! Or we are missing something?

-- hide signature --

Just passing by...

mosava
Like?
In reply to Walie, 4 months ago

Well, if you put your camera on auto, there should not be any possibility of user error, should it?

I'll check.

-- hide signature --

Just passing by...

mosava
Like?
In reply to AHM, 4 months ago

Interesting, I'll have to check that.

As I said, I am very new to the camera, and I exclusively use it with manual focus lenses, on S mode, with the aperture set on the lens, so...

And on top of that, I am a "spot everything" fan: metering, focus... So auto is a very unknown territory for me.

-- hide signature --

Just passing by...

AHM
AHM
Regular MemberPosts: 356Gear list
Like?

mosava wrote:

Well, if you put your camera on auto, there should not be any possibility of user error, should it?

I'll check.

-- hide signature --

Just passing by...

Well, you can see on the screen what the camera focuses on. If it does not focus on what you want, or you don't check, that would be user error. If it focuses on what you want, then it should be in focus independently of what mode you use.

AHM's gear list:AHM's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Samyang 12mm 1:2.0 NCS CS
McQuestion
Regular MemberPosts: 397Gear list
Like?
MR setting for Grandchild Photography

mosava wrote:

-- hide signature --

Just passing by...

Maybe you could program one of the MR banks to be optimized for your wife taking photos of your granddaughter. Then you could just turn the dial to that MR bank and hand it off. What settings would you include?

McQuestion's gear list:McQuestion's gear list
Pentax Q10 Sony a6000 Pentax 02 Standard Zoom Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
McQuestion
Regular MemberPosts: 397Gear list
Like?
Is it possible to select focus area in auto modes?
In reply to missingendpoint, 4 months ago

missingendpoint wrote:

JohnK wrote:

-- hide signature --

JohnK
Off the record.

How does one set 'center focus' in gold auto?

How do you select focus area in any of the automatic modes???

McQuestion's gear list:McQuestion's gear list
Pentax Q10 Sony a6000 Pentax 02 Standard Zoom Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
mosava
Like?
Re: MR setting for Grandchild Photography
In reply to McQuestion, 4 months ago

Good idea! I really need to read the f** manual! Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Just passing by...

mosava
Like?
Re: Is it possible to select focus area in auto modes?
In reply to McQuestion, 4 months ago

You can't!

-- hide signature --

Just passing by...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads