Sony A7 w Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm 1.4

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Dkaplan74
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?
Sony A7 w Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm 1.4
3 months ago

Has anyone used this combo and what are your conclusions. I am finding I am getting sharp images in good light (outdoor daylight), but indoors under lower light it is hard to get a sharp picture without pumping the ISO which can get a bit noisy. Is the problem that the lens just isn't that sharp? I love manual focusing. Would I have better results w a Voigtlander or Zeiss M mount? Thanks!!

narenek
Regular MemberPosts: 216Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony A7 w Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm 1.4
In reply to Dkaplan74, 3 months ago

I'm guessing you had the lens wide open the lower light shots. most lenses with this high an F stop tend to be a little soft wide open and this one is no exception. So unless you spend big bucks it's not so much a characteristic of that lens but that particular type of lens.

Of the minolta 50mm lenses probably the f2 is the best for sharpness wide open.

narenek's gear list:narenek's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
shaolin95
Senior MemberPosts: 1,118Gear list
Like?
In reply to narenek, 3 months ago

narenek wrote:

I'm guessing you had the lens wide open the lower light shots. most lenses with this high an F stop tend to be a little soft wide open and this one is no exception. So unless you spend big bucks it's not so much a characteristic of that lens but that particular type of lens.

Of all the 50mms I have tried they indeed softy wide open. My Canon FD50mm 1.4 has been the sharpest, less glowy so far. The rokkor at 2.0 becomes much sharper for sure. I had a Hexanon 50mm 1.4 that was basically an "artistic rendition" when at 1.4

shaolin95's gear list:shaolin95's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Xperia Z Ultra +11 more
The Davinator
Forum ProPosts: 13,095Gear list
Like?

Would be interesting to see this one on a Sony.  I use the 50f1.7 on my Fuji gear and love the results.  Of course the DOF would be shallower on the Sony.....this is what I get from the Minolta

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
The Davinator
Like?
In reply to shaolin95, 3 months ago

shaolin95 wrote:

narenek wrote:

Of all the 50mms I have tried they indeed softy wide open. My Canon FD50mm 1.4 has been the sharpest, less glowy so far. The rokkor at 2.0 becomes much sharper for sure. I had a Hexanon 50mm 1.4 that was basically an "artistic rendition" when at 1.4

How does the Konica Hexanon 1.4 compare to the 1.7 I currently use on my Konica T3n?

Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
Dkaplan74
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?
In reply to The Davinator, 3 months ago

I'm guessing the Voigtlander 50mm 1.5 would be much sharper, but at that price might as well get the Zeiss 50mm 1.8.

The Davinator
Like?

Dkaplan74 wrote:

I'm guessing the Voigtlander 50mm 1.5 would be much sharper, but at that price might as well get the Zeiss 50mm 1.8.

Can the Nokton f1.1 be adapted to Sony?  I've never checked.

Brian_Smith
Senior MemberPosts: 1,584
Like?

Dave Luttmann wrote:

Dkaplan74 wrote:

Can the Nokton f1.1 be adapted to Sony? I've never checked.

Yes Dave, I've been using that combination - it works particularly well with the Voigtlander VM-E Close Focus Adapter.

It's a great "speed lens" so it's a good choice for extremely shallow depth of field - but in terms of sharpness, it's doesn't come close to the sharpness of the FE 55/1.8.

shaolin95
Senior MemberPosts: 1,118Gear list
Like?

Dave Luttmann wrote:

shaolin95 wrote:

narenek wrote:

How does the Konica Hexanon 1.4 compare to the 1.7 I currently use on my Konica T3n?

I sold the Konica and kept the 1.4 Rokkor and also preferred a Pentax 1.7 over the Konica to be honest. While my copy looked brand new (box and lens was mint), it may have been a not so good copy..who knows.

shaolin95's gear list:shaolin95's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Xperia Z Ultra +11 more
Scrollop
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?

Hmmm, I find it quite sharp wide open. I use focus peaking with creative setting on BW with sharpness +3 to help it along.

Great lens. Lovely colours.

Scrollop's gear list:Scrollop's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha 7
ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,038Gear list
Like?
Probably camera shake

Dkaplan74 wrote:

Has anyone used this combo and what are your conclusions. I am finding I am getting sharp images in good light (outdoor daylight), but indoors under lower light it is hard to get a sharp picture without pumping the ISO which can get a bit noisy. Is the problem that the lens just isn't that sharp? I love manual focusing. Would I have better results w a Voigtlander or Zeiss M mount? Thanks!!

Obviously, lenses don't get more or less sharp when you change ISO. Remember the 1/FocalLength seconds slowest shutter speed rule? I suspect that you're using too slow a shutter speed and getting a tiny bit of camera shake. Note that the 1/FocalLength rule was back in the days of film, and film didn't resolve 24MP like your A7 does, so you probably need a little higher speed to make the shake go away. 50mm would say 1/50s, and Sony cameras tend to use 1/60s for many things, but a little faster speed would be wise. For the A7R's higher resolution, or if you've been operating a vibrating power tool recently (not kidding; this can cause measurably more shake for a day or longer), push the shutter speed higher still. Alternatively, if you don't mind JPEG capture, use one of the multi-shot modes -- they aren't quite as good at removing camera shake as the sensor-movement in A-mount bodies, but they definitely help (and can help remove subject motion too, which sensor movement can't).

One more note: comparably fast lenses with shorter focal lengths don't need as high a shutter speed. Neither do lenses with OSS. The speed difference between even an f/1 and f/1.4 is just one stop, so the exotic ultra-fast lenses would only make a difference in borderline cases... and maybe not even then, because there are other issues that make the exposure difference between f/1 and f/1.4 less than you'd expect. In fact, in terms of minimizing camera shake in poor light, the 50mm f/1.8 with OSS is really hard to beat... probably need an f/0.6 or so to match it without OSS. (Although OSS does nothing to reduce subject motion blur.)

There's also the issue that with avery thin DoF, if you're slow focusing, by the time you actually click the shutter the subject may have moved just enough to be a touch out of focus. The only fixes are practice, AF, or stop down a little. Actually, a trick called "trap focus" can solve this too, but Sony E-mount bodies don't directly support trap focus.

Anyway, I find my Rokkor 50mm f/1.4 to be sharp enough wide open on my A7. Heck, it's even ok on my NEX-7. Yes, it has some glow -- most fast 50s do wide open, because they deliberately undercorrected SA a bit to improve bokeh rendering. The glow doesn't really hurt resolution, but does lower contrast, so boosting contrast a little is a reasonable fix if you see that as a problem.

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +21 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 14,770Gear list
Like?

I don't like this lens, it has a lot of flair and is soft, but maybe it's too old and has a lot of micro-scratches.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Jefenator
Senior MemberPosts: 1,453Gear list
Like?
In reply to narenek, 3 months ago

Most of the old 50mm 1.4 lenses I've tried are a bit soft and hazy wide open but much, much better when stopped down to f/2, so I usually use that setting unless light is extremely low.

A 1.4 stopped down to f/2 usually performs better than my old 1-cam Leica Summicron-R wide open.

I did recently acquire a Minolta MD 50/2 which does pretty darn well, wide open. Better than the old Summicron-R (which I hate to say because I paid about 15x more for the 'cron). I haven't had time to test it directly against a stopped down faster lens yet, but I'd say it is fully acceptable - very pleasant surprise from a lens that is light, almost pancake small and cost only $25. 

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS M Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +1 more
Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,551Gear list
Like?

Without seeing some pictures it's all just a guess at what the issue is.
Low light is typically harder to get sharper shots, with my NEX-7 noise obscured detail in the EVF and it was difficult to judge where the plane of focus was, my A7r is much improved.
If you are looking for a sharp lens to manual focus, look for a Topcor RE 58/1.8
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/
My lenses:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/viewprofile.php?Action=viewprofile&username=LightShow

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 14,770Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jefenator, 3 months ago

Jefenator wrote:

Most of the old 50mm 1.4 lenses I've tried are a bit soft and hazy wide open but much, much better when stopped down to f/2, so I usually use that setting unless light is extremely low.

A 1.4 stopped down to f/2 usually performs better than my old 1-cam Leica Summicron-R wide open.

I did recently acquire a Minolta MD 50/2 which does pretty darn well, wide open. Better than the old Summicron-R (which I hate to say because I paid about 15x more for the 'cron). I haven't had time to test it directly against a stopped down faster lens yet, but I'd say it is fully acceptable - very pleasant surprise from a lens that is light, almost pancake small and cost only $25.

Congrats! I've been saying the same about my MD 50 /2.0 for years. It is sharp right from f2, wide open. Very compact, well-made with modern coatings; it has good flare protection, warm colors and nice bokeh.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
joe6pack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,155Gear list
Like?

I have both MD Rokkor 1.4 and 1.7. And I also felt that the 1.7 is sharper when used in-door. I actually did multiple tests in-door and found that the 1.7 consistently gives better contrast (at common F-stops 2.8 and 4.0). Even F1.7 appears better than F2.0 (of the F1.4). The camera was resting on my table and shutter fried with a timer so camera shake is not an issue.

Maybe I have a lemon (nothing visible to me). But outdoor, the 1.4 seems to be better. I don't know how to explain it.

Taken with NEX-3N. So image is cropped:

MD Rokkor F1.4 @ 1.4

joe6pack's gear list:joe6pack's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Corel Aftershot Pro IrfanView
jtr27
Regular MemberPosts: 223
Like?

I have the later Minolta MD 50mm F1.4 (no Rokkor in the name), and love it.  I agree with a prior poster that slow shutter speed may be an issue when using indoors.

123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,306Gear list
Like?

According to this:

http://natalispalette.jimdo.com/new-and-old-camera-lenses-by-yuri-stangrit/comparisons-and-reviews/several-50mm-prime-lenses-comparison/

The MC Rokkor-PG is the cream of the crop. The MD one appears needing much harder stopping down and even then it runs behind.

Have you tried the crop plastic fantastic 35/1.8 lens on it yet? It covers almost full frame. Edges and corners aren't hot then, but the center is *quite* sharp. It's quite the surprise given the price of the lens is just barely over $100 these days.

I don't have a full frame camera, but instead I've used that with a focal reducer ($100 Roxsen A-mount to E-mount). The auto focusing on that lens isn't great though...

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
joe6pack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,155Gear list
Like?
In reply to 123Mike, 3 months ago

123Mike wrote:

According to this:

http://natalispalette.jimdo.com/new-and-old-camera-lenses-by-yuri-stangrit/comparisons-and-reviews/several-50mm-prime-lenses-comparison/

The MC Rokkor-PG is the cream of the crop. The MD one appears needing much harder stopping down and even then it runs behind.

I'm not sure the tests are done right. The result for MD rokkor appeared less sharp at 4.0 than 2.8. It is certainly not my experience.

Also, it says for the 1.4 test:

"There are three fast prime lenses: Olympus OM-System Zuiko Auto-S 50 mm f/1.4, Minolta MC Rokkor-PG 50mm f/1.4, Minolta MD Rokkor 50 mm f/1.4. In terms of sharpness they showed almost identical results. However, if you look closely, the picture of the Minolta MD Rokkor 50 mm f/1.4 looks somewhat better: a little more contrast, perhaps due to more modern antireflection coating."

joe6pack's gear list:joe6pack's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Corel Aftershot Pro IrfanView
Joe Przybylski
Regular MemberPosts: 109
Like?
In reply to joe6pack, 3 months ago

I have the 50mm 1.4 with the A7 and I love it. All of the shots below are wide open but I find if I stop it down a little I get amazing results. The only time I use the kit lens is if I need faster autofocus when I don't want to "think" but other than that it's the lens that stays on my camera most of the time.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads