What sort of shutter count level are A7R owners at?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
davidevans1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,111
Like?
What sort of shutter count level are A7R owners at?
5 months ago

I'd be interested to hear what sort of shutter count A7R owners are at, and for the higher shutter count owners, have there been any problems or is it all good news?
I have a Nikon D800E and apart from the weight (which I can manage OK as I only ever carry two lenses) and the slightly inferior screen (by today's standards)for manual focusing in liveview, I have zero complaints and really enjoy using it.
However the D810 is interesting for some time in the future, mainly for the better resolution screen, but then it dawned that the A7R is roughly £1,000 less than the D810. Would it be a better option? That's where my question is coming from.
Also neither of the two lenses I use most are Nikon (one a 135mm Zeiss, the other a 50mm Sigma).
My photography is a mixture of landscape and urban. Landscape on tripod and urban usually handheld.
Thanks for any feedback on the A7R.
--
David

echolsphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 600Gear list
Like?
Re: What sort of shutter count level are A7R owners at?
In reply to davidevans1, 5 months ago

I wish I knew. It seems that the cameras use what ever number is on the card and add to it.

I have two A7, and they both are at the same exposure count. Because I swap cards. There is supposed to be a web site that can tell but it doesn't work for me. I know I have over 10k exposures on one of them. No problems

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LeicaBOSS
Regular MemberPosts: 430Gear list
Like?

Isolated incident, maybe, but my shutter failed after about 10k images. They apparently had enough failed shutters that the part was backordered for over a month. A7r

-- hide signature --

From time to time, I point my camera at the right things. This is generally when I forget everything I've learned.

LeicaBOSS's gear list:LeicaBOSS's gear list
Leica M9 Sony SLT-A77 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +17 more
NomadMark
Regular MemberPosts: 459Gear list
Like?
In reply to LeicaBOSS, 5 months ago

Isolated incident, maybe, but my shutter failed after about 10k images. They apparently had enough failed shutters that the part was backordered for over a month. A7r

-- hide signature --

From time to time, I point my camera at the right things. This is generally when I forget everything I've learned.

Shutter failure. Shutter shake....
...the D810 most likely will have fewer issues.
--
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nomadmark/

NomadMark's gear list:NomadMark's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
Juha Kannisto
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?

I'm at 69012 according to Image Count read with ExifTool. Haven't had any issues with shutter. My A7r is Japan model bought on 15th of November last year.

LeicaBOSS
Like?
In reply to NomadMark, 5 months ago

Don't count on it. If this comes from a fanboyism place, then fine. We can maintain the illusion for you. Otherwise, let us not pretend Nikon hasn't had its share of horrifying service/engineering issues and shutter replacements at the shop right now.

P.S. Every time someone mentions 'shutter shake' as a design or reliability problem, an angel dies... along with a little piece of my faith in humanity.

Nigel Clifford
Contributing MemberPosts: 707Gear list
Like?
In reply to Juha Kannisto, 5 months ago

Mines of similar age, November 2013 Japan, not sure of shutter count had to have a PCB (C.BOARD.SY-1) replaced last month, camera would not remember any custom settings.

Nigel

Nigel Clifford's gear list:Nigel Clifford's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
davidevans1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,111
Like?
In reply to LeicaBOSS, 5 months ago

LeicaBOSS wrote:

Don't count on it. If this comes from a fanboyism place, then fine. We can maintain the illusion for you. Otherwise, let us not pretend Nikon hasn't had its share of horrifying service/engineering issues and shutter replacements at the shop right now.

P.S. Every time someone mentions 'shutter shake' as a design or reliability problem, an angel dies... along with a little piece of my faith in humanity.

I agree, every manufacturer seems to have problems with particular parts or functions and some manufacturers stay in denial of the problem for way too long! Digital cameras are comparatively new technology and subject to relentless progress and advances. The consumer ends up being the real tester and pays for the privilege (in much the same way as buyers of branded clothing are paying for the privilege of marketing the brand!)With the A7R the one thing that caught my eye in the tests was the reports of the loud shutter, hence my question on shutter count. Do Sony give a shutter lifespan estimate like Nikon does on their pro cameras (250,000 activations in Nikons case I think)?

-- hide signature --

David

LeicaBOSS
Like?

Unfortunately, I don't know of a reliable published rating for Sony. I also don't think I would trust a thing they say. I couldn't imagine someone attempting to build one rated under 150k at this point, but it'll really be guesswork.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads