Finally a BIF with the a-6000

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
lightgrabber
Regular MemberPosts: 194
Like?
Finally a BIF with the a-6000
4 months ago

Took these at the pond today with my a-6000 and the Canon 100-400mm.

Sorry I cut the tail off the left hand bird in the second one.  I really want to thank nzmacro and zackiedawg for the hints and encouragement they have given me . Still have a long way to go but I think I have definitely been bitten by the birding bug.

Eastern Kingbirds, I think.

The relay, as far as I could see, first bird seemed to transfer the bug to second bird, who fed it to baby.

One more shot, just to up the cuteness factor.

Tiniest duckling I've ever seen on the pond.

nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,849Gear list
Like?
Bang, there ya go. Beautiful shots
In reply to lightgrabber, 4 months ago

lightgrabber wrote:

Took these at the pond today with my a-6000 and the Canon 100-400mm.

Sorry I cut the tail off the left hand bird in the second one. I really want to thank nzmacro and zackiedawg for the hints and encouragement they have given me . Still have a long way to go but I think I have definitely been bitten by the birding bug.

Eastern Kingbirds, I think.

The relay, as far as I could see, first bird seemed to transfer the bug to second bird, who fed it to baby.

One more shot, just to up the cuteness factor.

Tiniest duckling I've ever seen on the pond.

Ha, bang and there it is. There seems to be an invisible line that gets reached and all of a sudden it all starts to make sense with settings and techniques. You are there

Wonderful shots with good timing and action, nice behaviour shots for sure. You nailed it. That last shot is so cute, even Jan is sitting here looking at it over my shoulder. Really sharp and excellent composition. You can even see the fine droplets of water on its head. Sharp as a tack !!

Now if I can be cheeky on the first shot for a second, its the composition I wanted to look at. Its an excellent sharp shot with good fine details, so thought I would take a look at that one with composition in mind. Tried two with cropping, they suit me but might not suit other people. Anyway this is how I would go about it ....

Its a stunning shot, congrats. So that's one way I would look at it and then another way ......

And cropping even close again, man that's a great shot to work with.

Either way, you have nailed these shots, all of them IMO.

All the best and congrats, stubbornness and patience pays off big time :-). Love it.

Danny.

-- hide signature --

Birds, macro, motor sports.... http://www.birdsinaction.com
Just Kingfisher ..... http://www.flickr.com/photos/96361462@N06/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,946Gear list
Like?
LG: definitely the way to go - welcome to the "bitten by the bug" club :) !!

lightgrabber wrote:

what a superb frame - just about 50mm less zoom, and it'd be a stunner!! The I-st one is also a paragon of excellence, congratulations (btw. I completely agree with Danny's cropping suggestions, esp. as you had all the 400mm at your fingertips ),

Quercy

ianbrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,935
Like?
Re: LG: definitely the way to go - welcome to the "bitten by the bug" club :) !!
In reply to jpr2, 4 months ago

A good camera and lens helps but patience and a good eye for detail produce good images and looks like you have all three working for you here.

Good work

Ian

jack scholl
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,114Gear list
Like?
Re: Finally a BIF with the a-6000

lightgrabber,

Well that didn't take very long at all!!  Wonderful shots indeed . . .

Now the fun starts.  Going out shooting far more often than you ever thought possible, getting frustrated at missing a shot after waiting for 45 minutes and capturing that one pic that puts a smile on your face for the week.

The opportunity to watch these creatures in the wild is a true treasure . . . welcome and enjoy!

All the best . . .

Jack

jack scholl's gear list:jack scholl's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon 1 V3 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +4 more
Benoz
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,327Gear list
Like?

Great captures!

the first one, especially, is excellent! It would make a fine framed picture.

Ben

Benoz's gear list:Benoz's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +5 more
lightgrabber
Like?

Thank you all for the kind comments.

I'm certainly learning that patience is one of the biggest attributes needed for this, also may have to take up weight lifting more seriously, in order to develop the arm muscles to hold that 100-400mm lens steady for longer periods.

I missed the final delivery of that second bug to the baby because my arm muscle sort of spasmed just before. Hmm photography as a fitness program?

captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,156Gear list
Like?

Congratulations on your accomplishment! NICE photos.

But I somehow missed something here. Did you use the A6000's renowned CAF here, or predetermined MF?

Steve

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
thamer08
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?

Great shots

which adapter did you use with canon 100-400 ?

thamer08's gear list:thamer08's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon EOS 450D Sony a6000 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +3 more
lightgrabber
Like?
In reply to captura, 4 months ago

captura wrote:

Congratulations on your accomplishment! NICE photos.

But I somehow missed something here. Did you use the A6000's renowned CAF here, or predetermined MF?

Steve

This Canon lens, on the a6000, with the Metabones adapter technically has AF but in practice as far as I"ve seen it is painfully slow. Don't think I'd ever get a moving bird that way.

I took the shots using MF and focus peaking. It was made easier because the young bird was pretty much staying on the same branch, and the parents coming to him. I had to tweak focus slightly if he hopped around, but no big adjustments.

If I want to use the CAF (or any AF) on a moving object, I think it will have to be with a native lens, like the 55-210.

I took this photo with the 55-210, after having the a-6000 for just a few days. I used AF-S and probably took about 8 shots to get 2 that were borderline useful.

Hovering Dragonfly.

I found the dragonfly easier than BIF's because, even though not as big, they tend to hover a bit more. I have to admit that I was impressed out the whazoo with the speed of the focus. I've never been able to lock on anything like that with my 5D MarkII.

gkstar
Regular MemberPosts: 269Gear list
Like?

Amazing pics! I noticed you shot at ISO 2000 - did you have to reduce noise in post processing?

gkstar's gear list:gkstar's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS LE Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
lightgrabber
Like?
In reply to thamer08, 4 months ago

thamer08 wrote:

Great shots

which adapter did you use with canon 100-400 ?

I've got the Metabones IV. It seems kind of weird and temperamental as far as AF goes. At first I couldn't get it to focus at all, but now after reading a few threads here, I can get it to achieve focus  with this lens but very slowly with much hunting. I tried it briefly on my 100mm Canon macro and had even more trouble with AF.

I need to re-visit that lens and see if it is the adapter, or me doing something wrong. It doesn't help that it comes with no instructions and even the online guide is, to my mind very confusing. I'm wondering if I would have been better to save money and just go for a simple inexpensive adapter but I do like the auto aperture etc function. It's just the AF that seems disappointing.

lightgrabber
Like?
In reply to gkstar, 4 months ago

gkstar wrote:

Amazing pics! I noticed you shot at ISO 2000 - did you have to reduce noise in post processing?

Oh yes! I normally shot in RAW so I have to do some NR but I had to do quite a bit of post processing here, and some of it at least my own fault.

I just noticed that it doesn't show up in the EXIF, but I was (unintentionally) running a +0.7EV.

I'd been shooting blackbirds against a dark sky and, without a higher exposure, all the detail in the black body seems to disappear. But, when I saw the baby bird I forgot to reset the EV so the SOOC were over exposed and needed more tweaking to pull them back.

I still get excited when I see a potential shot and tend to do stupid things.

Doug Aiien
Regular MemberPosts: 113Gear list
Like?

Wonderful Kingbird BIF photos! That first one is one excellent shot. Glad you're having so much success.

Doug

https://www.flickr.com/photos/carolinabutterflies/

Doug Aiien's gear list:Doug Aiien's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads