Same ISO Same Lens, Would......

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Roger Bloemers
Contributing MemberPosts: 787Gear list
Like?
Same ISO Same Lens, Would......
5 months ago

Would a 20 by 30 inch print be the same quality and sharpness if shot with the Same ISO and Same Lens using a 5D Mark 3 and a 70D camera.   I have asked almost the same question before, but did not receive many answers.   I'm hoping the colors and sharpness would be much better on the full frame camera.   If not, well then I would not upgrade.  Thanks

-- hide signature --

Roger Bloemers

Roger Bloemers's gear list:Roger Bloemers's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Canon EOS 70D Olympus E-M1 Sony a6000
diness
Contributing MemberPosts: 920Gear list
Like?
Re: Same ISO Same Lens, Would......
In reply to Roger Bloemers, 5 months ago

Depends on the ISO and the lens.  At ISO 100 there wouldn't be a huge difference.  You might notice a little bit, but really not that much.  You will definitely notice the crop difference though.  At ISO 3200, you will notice a dramatic difference in noise and colors.

diness's gear list:diness's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Just another Canon shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,113Gear list
Like?

The 70D will be a cropped version of the 5D3 one. Be more specific.

Just another Canon shooter's gear list:Just another Canon shooter's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +4 more
Roger Bloemers
Like?
In reply to Just another Canon shooter, 5 months ago
-- hide signature --

I do
Roger Bloemers

The question is obvious.   I don't need to be more specific.   Most of us know the difference between crop and full frame.  I just want to know there would be a Better look from the full frame priint.  If it's close to the crop camera then I wouldn't bother to buy the full frame.   And I'm think a lower ISO in the comparison.

Like?

Roger Bloemers wrote:

The question is obvious. I don't need to be more specific. Most of us know the difference between crop and full frame. I just want to know there would be a Better look from the full frame priint. If it's close to the crop camera then I wouldn't bother to buy the full frame. And I'm think a lower ISO in the comparison.

How can one look better if you have different AOV?

Anyway, there will be slight noise difference, but even at ISO 100, when you start adjusting WB, correcting for vignetting, etc., the difference will be more pronounced. You may see some difference in the tonality of the skin tones. 20x30 is pretty big for all this to show up.

Sharpness - if you shoot at f/8 - small difference maybe. Shoot at f/1.2 - huge difference.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +4 more
brightcolours
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,866
Like?
Wrong question

Roger Bloemers wrote:

The question is obvious. I don't need to be more specific.

YEs you do need to be more specific. Or rather, you need to think it through a bit more.

The SAME lens will give a DIFFERENT image. Different FOV and DOF. Any difference in noise or whatever will be irrelevant next to that.

Most of us know the difference between crop and full frame. I just want to know there would be a Better look from the full frame priint. If it's close to the crop camera then I wouldn't bother to buy the full frame. And I'm think a lower ISO in the comparison.

What you are asking is not thought through. Same lens with different sensor size gives different image. So, nonsensical question.

The question should be:

With an EQUIVALENT lens, what will be the difference. So, if you shoot with 35mm at f4 on the 70D, and with an EQUIVALENT lens on FF (so ~56mm at f6.3), will you see a difference?

That depends. On low ISO settings, difference will be smaller compared to higher ISO settings. But, you don't just set the same ISO setting just for fun. The equivalent f-value to get the same DOF is higher on the FF combination, so you will go higher in ISO faster. And then, the difference will be equalized again.

The big advantage/reason for FF is that you are able to use more shallow DOF (bigger apertures). A secondary reason may be that FF gives a slightly more dynamic feel at times (due to bigger sensels I assume).

Joe Mayer
Regular MemberPosts: 118Gear list
Like?
Re: Wrong question
In reply to brightcolours, 5 months ago

brightcolours wrote:

Roger Bloemers wrote:

The question is obvious. I don't need to be more specific.

YEs you do need to be more specific. Or rather, you need to think it through a bit more.

The SAME lens will give a DIFFERENT image. Different FOV and DOF. Any difference in noise or whatever will be irrelevant next to that.

Most of us know the difference between crop and full frame. I just want to know there would be a Better look from the full frame priint. If it's close to the crop camera then I wouldn't bother to buy the full frame. And I'm think a lower ISO in the comparison.

What you are asking is not thought through. Same lens with different sensor size gives different image. So, nonsensical question.

The question should be:

With an EQUIVALENT lens, what will be the difference. So, if you shoot with 35mm at f4 on the 70D, and with an EQUIVALENT lens on FF (so ~56mm at f6.3), will you see a difference?

That depends. On low ISO settings, difference will be smaller compared to higher ISO settings. But, you don't just set the same ISO setting just for fun. The equivalent f-value to get the same DOF is higher on the FF combination, so you will go higher in ISO faster. And then, the difference will be equalized again.

The big advantage/reason for FF is that you are able to use more shallow DOF (bigger apertures). A secondary reason may be that FF gives a slightly more dynamic feel at times (due to bigger sensels I assume).

All true. And....the OP might want to read the DPreview article that was recently published on equivalence. http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2666934640/what-is-equivalence-and-why-should-i-care

Joe Mayer's gear list:Joe Mayer's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +1 more
jouni123
Regular MemberPosts: 442Gear list
Like?

Hi Roger ! I have experiencies of Fuji X E-1 and Canon 6D right now. They present APS and full size sensors. When I look at pics in 23'' screen, it is very difficult to say, which picture is Fuji, which 6D, so near they are.

We had once with friend 4 pics size 20'' X 30'' in wall of our coffee room in work. Pics were taken with 4 different cameras which had pixels: 6 million, 8 million, 10 million and 12 million. Then we asked several people: Which picture look sharpest and technically best. The camera that won had lowest number of pixells. 12 million camera was Canon 5D, only that had fullsize sensor. My answer is, difference is very little in general.

I give you a link to one who use ASP size sensor camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3077954254/street-photography-tips-with-zack-arias

Here is other link, where you can see and compare test pics and parts of pics, you can choose 4 different cameras here and change jpeg or RAW format and ISO also. You look at it carefully, it is rather usefull.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii/26

Last link is to my pictures, this is to give you an idea, who am I who has not the lightest problem to understand your question. I bought my Canon just 2 months ago, after that I have not touched Fuji, even Canon with 24-105 lens is a heavy load to carry.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9019883962

Hope you get something, wish you well, jouni

jouni123's gear list:jouni123's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Roger Bloemers
Like?
In reply to jouni123, 5 months ago

To jouni'

Thank you so very much for your thoughful answer.   I'm happy you knew where I was coming from.  You did understand my question!   I really appreciate that.  Your answer was the most helpful.      Roger

-- hide signature --

Roger Bloemers

Like?

Do you see difference here (almost equivalent FL and f-stop but not ISO)? The first lens is much more expensive.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads