Are we a bit misdirected?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions
Gray Drake
Regular MemberPosts: 106Gear list
Like?
Are we a bit misdirected?
3 weeks ago

Just a comment about photo quality and it's ability to capture the reality/beauty/emotion of a moment in time.   We spend most of our time here (including me) with assessments of the technical marvels of our cameras and our skill with editing.

After looking at this photo taken by my daughter (which I captured off her facebook page),  I again humbly realize the effectiveness of the delivery of the essence of the moment to the viewer of the photo has little to do with the technical capability of our equipment or our skill at the computer

Drake

Gray Drake's gear list:Gray Drake's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +1 more
jack Hoggard
Contributing MemberPosts: 823Gear list
Like?
Re: Are we a bit misdirected?
In reply to Gray Drake, 3 weeks ago

SHHHH!  

-- hide signature --

jaxupra

jack Hoggard's gear list:jack Hoggard's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WW Webster
Regular MemberPosts: 117Gear list
Like?

Gray Drake wrote:

... I ... humbly realize the effectiveness of the delivery of the essence of the moment to the viewer of the photo has little to do with the technical capability of our equipment or our skill at the computer

It depends on whether you are merely producing a snapshot to capture a moment in time (which your daughter has done superbly) where the equipment may be less of a factor in the result, or creating something with more demanding quality requirements, such being able to use the image file to produce a fine art enlargement print.

-- hide signature --
 WW Webster's gear list:WW Webster's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Robbster
Regular MemberPosts: 258Gear list
Like?

Yep.  And, what a shot!

-- hide signature --

Create the future or live someone else's. Choose wisely!

Robbster's gear list:Robbster's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 +9 more
linux99
Contributing MemberPosts: 618Gear list
Like?
Content is king. N/T
No text.
 linux99's gear list:linux99's gear list
Sigma DP2x Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
JosephScha
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,211Gear list
Like?

There was a very good article in today's New York Times that, even though it was supposed to be about a retrospective museum exhibit for a photographer including images from rolls of film he did not develop while still alive, actually it was about the long standing neurosis about whether photography is art or is it just a mechanical process that involves pressing a shutter button at the right time?

Is it art if the photographer carefully selects and prints his works?  How about if he just selects, but does not print his own work?  How about if he has died and has never seen the images that someone else will select and print?  Are the images still art, even though captured by a mechanical device?

The article went on to discuss Vivian Meier, whose box of negatives was discovered (purchased) after her death, so she didn't select or print - but the quality of her street photography made her well known anyway, posthumously.

In the end the article concludes that for the photographer in question, who didn't do much selection and did not carefully print his own works, having someone else select and print for the retrospective was not too far from the photographer's normal process.  For this photographer, the art was in capturing the image at the right moment.  And if we are willing to admit it in this case, it is clear that there is art in a picture captured at just the right moment to tell a story and convey emotions.  In short, we should not be neurotic about what makes a photograph art.  It is art if the photographer says it is.

Good. Now, beyond that, there is something to be said for having control over depth of field, color intensity, white balance, etc.  I've seen images posted hear that are remarkable for the photographic and post processing skill they demonstrate.  I've seen other images that are remarkable captures of a scene I will never personally see.   I appreciate them all.

-- hide signature --

js

JosephScha's gear list:JosephScha's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,349Gear list
Like?
Not really

Gray Drake wrote:

Just a comment about photo quality and it's ability to capture the reality/beauty/emotion of a moment in time. We spend most of our time here (including me) with assessments of the technical marvels of our cameras and our skill with editing.

After all, this (M4/3) is primarily a gear forum, so that figures. There's a bunch of other forums here that deal with images and styles thereof.

After looking at this photo taken by my daughter (which I captured off her facebook page), I again humbly realize the effectiveness of the delivery of the essence of the moment to the viewer of the photo has little to do with the technical capability of our equipment or our skill at the computer

Drake

Meanwhile, thank your daughter for the great image, the kid's' faces say it all.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,536
Like?

Hey now, watch it with that "we" business! LOL

Yes, a lot of people on this forum are, in my opinion, inordinately focused on the technical aspect of photography. But then, this is a gear oriented website. You can find ones where the aesthetics of the photo takes greater precedence by far.

One reason for that is that pretty much anyone can develop technical chops, but refining an aesthetic vision and style can be elusive to some. I wager all of us look at some photos a child or beginner has taken and think "Well, snap, how'd he manage to do that?" from the standpoint of admiring their aesthetic. I know I do at times.

There can be some pretentiousness involved in such discussions, on both sides. Frankly, I'd say about 75% of those discussing such things really are only taking what would be considered "snapshots". By that I mean capturing random moments in time for personal satisfaction. Sure, some folks turn up their noses at what they call snapshots, as though what they produce as they wander through the woods or along a street, looking for "the right shot", is somehow superior to what they call a "snapshot". Most of the bluster involved in the discussion is just ego bolstering narcissism on both sides. That's why I think photos by kids or beginners can sometimes be so good: they aren't worried about who they will impress, they just want to capture the moment.

I like what Gary Winogrand said, "I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed."

-- hide signature --

If, in my lifetime, I will have produced just one image that makes a real difference in the life of another, I will have achieved my highest goal as a photographer.
http://eyeguessphotography.com
http://livegigshots.com

Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,194Gear list
Like?
Re: nothing wrong with taking memory snapshots.........

If it makes you happy.    And that's all that matters for me too.

And thanks for sharing your photo.

Best regards.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +4 more
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,536Gear list
Like?

Gray Drake wrote:

Just a comment about photo quality and it's ability to capture the reality/beauty/emotion of a moment in time. We spend most of our time here (including me) with assessments of the technical marvels of our cameras and our skill with editing.

After looking at this photo taken by my daughter (which I captured off her facebook page), I again humbly realize the effectiveness of the delivery of the essence of the moment to the viewer of the photo has little to do with the technical capability of our equipment or our skill at the computer

Drake

I'm misdirected by absence of EXIF data. The shot could be taken by cellphone.

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Gray Drake
Regular MemberPosts: 106Gear list
Like?
In reply to s_grins, 3 weeks ago

s_grins wrote:

Gray Drake wrote:

Drake

-- hide signature --

Taken with a Canon 7d, lens and other details?, as mentioned earlier, I captured this image from my daughter's Facebook posting.

It is the image that matters, whether gathered by a cellphone or Hasselblad.  Your response defines the basis for my initial posting.

Drake

Gray Drake's gear list:Gray Drake's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +1 more
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,536Gear list
Like?

Gray Drake wrote:

s_grins wrote:

Gray Drake wrote:

Drake

-- hide signature --

Taken with a Canon 7d, lens and other details?, as mentioned earlier, I captured this image from my daughter's Facebook posting.

It is the image that matters, whether gathered by a cellphone or Hasselblad. Your response defines the basis for my initial posting.

Drake

Drake, you've missed my point: when image matters, everything else does not matter (camera included)

Please admit else that some photos that matter to you not necessarily matter to others. The sample is below (matters to me only)

-- hide signature --

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,882Gear list
Like?

Gray Drake wrote:

Drake

Despite the fact that it's a nice image I think it could look nicer. Obviously it's going to look bad captured from a website but the camera it was originally captured with will undoubtably effect how much it can be improved.

This may not matter so some people but I see nothing wrong with having an image that captures a nice memory which is also technically good. I'd choose it over a poor image of a nice memory any day.

dennis tennis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,035
Like?

Gray Drake wrote:

Drake

Can you use simpler words and shorter sentences?

TN Args
Regular MemberPosts: 163Gear list
Like?

I'm not misdirected, Drake, but it seems you have been and needed this corrective jolt, courtesy of your daughter. Well done.

-- hide signature --

call me Arg

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Paul Kersey Photography
Regular MemberPosts: 208Gear list
Like?

Don't want to burst the bubble(pun intended) but, many folks are really in photography for the equipment and can give you very clear shots of things that simply don't move the needle in terms of interestingness. Don't misunderstand me, they strive for something but are far better at analyzing, comparing, contrasting and discussing the tools of photography. And, there's nothing wrong with that, it's extremely satisfying.

-- hide signature --

PK

Paul Kersey Photography's gear list:Paul Kersey Photography's gear list
Leica M-Monochrom Olympus E-M1 Leica Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8 ASPH Leica Summarit-M 35mm f/2.5 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +1 more
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,205
Like?
Correct

Gray Drake wrote:

Drake

It's not very sharp, but the composition/subject is better than 90% of the dreck that people post to this forum. I definitely rate it higher than this lousy Statue of Liberty photo: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53970549

I highly recommend that people look to Instragram for better photography.

Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,079Gear list
Like?
Re: Correct
In reply to sigala1, 3 weeks ago

sigala1 wrote:

Gray Drake wrote:

Drake

It's not very sharp, but the composition/subject is better than 90% of the dreck that people post to this forum. I definitely rate it higher than this lousy Statue of Liberty photo: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53970549

I highly recommend that people look to Instragram for better photography.

wow, that's a low blow, even for you.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,882Gear list
Like?
Re: Correct
In reply to sigala1, 3 weeks ago

sigala1 wrote:

I highly recommend that people look to Instragram for better photography.

I sincerely hope this line was meant in jest. I can barely see the photo through all the stupid fake filters half the time.

If that's considered good photography these days maybe I should scan in all the crappy old snaps in the attic which are probably scratched and faded by now.

Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,194Gear list
Like?
Re: Are we a bit misdirected? Post pics, less talk.
In reply to dennis tennis, 3 weeks ago

;-)dennis tennis wrote:

Gray Drake wrote:

Drake

Can you use simpler words and shorter sentences?

Post pics?

Less talk?

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads