Seeking Advice on Video Shooting and Processing

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
averacpa
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
Seeking Advice on Video Shooting and Processing
3 months ago

Hi Folks, I have been shooting stills for a very long time and now want to use the equipment I have to add a video component to my travels.  I am just starting out and looking for basic advice and tips on how to shoot and process videos; no 4K video or GH4 at this time.  Specifically what books or guides to read, which software is easier to edit and splice the various clips, what tips and settings to use on my equipment, etc..

My equipment consist of the EM-1, GX-1 and the Oly TG-3 (primarily for underwater) with a various lenses: Oly 9-18, Panny 20, Oly 45, Panny 45-150, and Panny 100-300.  I am going to Machu Pichu and the Galapagos in August.  The main camera will be the EM-1 with the Panny GX-1 as backup or setup with the 45-150.  The TG-3 is for the snorkeling trips in the Galapagos. I am also using a Mac Pro computer.

Any advice or tips is greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Olympus Tough TG-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,875Gear list
Like?
Re: Seeking Advice on Video Shooting and Processing
In reply to averacpa, 3 months ago

averacpa wrote:

Hi Folks, I have been shooting stills for a very long time and now want to use the equipment I have to add a video component to my travels. I am just starting out and looking for basic advice and tips on how to shoot and process videos; no 4K video or GH4 at this time. Specifically what books or guides to read, which software is easier to edit and splice the various clips, what tips and settings to use on my equipment, etc..

My equipment consist of the EM-1, GX-1 and the Oly TG-3 (primarily for underwater) with a various lenses: Oly 9-18, Panny 20, Oly 45, Panny 45-150, and Panny 100-300. I am going to Machu Pichu and the Galapagos in August. The main camera will be the EM-1 with the Panny GX-1 as backup or setup with the 45-150. The TG-3 is for the snorkeling trips in the Galapagos. I am also using a Mac Pro computer.

Any advice or tips is greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Just like photography you are telling a story. Video can be as simple as point and shoot what you see or something more involved where you Must understand lighting, exposure and composition. You must understand how and when to move the camera or zoom a lens. When you shoot video if you are moving handheld you have to take your time and not just pay attention to the video but the audio as well. If you jostle the camera or even whisper the microphone will pick this sound up and potentially run the shot. For example, Turn Off florescent lights, not just because of the color temp issues but the humming of the light fixture will pick up on the audio track. Heck, if you are shooting where a telephone could ring turn that off before you start. You need constant light unlike a flash to take a still shot and they come in many forms.

***Important: If you get a tripod or Mono-pod be sure you specially get a Fluid Head for video, you can not use a ball or 3 way head for video and get a smooth result. However, a video head can be used for still needs not the other way. That is if you want to do it right.

You shoot an interview, wedding, birthday party, all different. Anytime you see a movie or TV show the blocking or camera moves are planned ahead of time so you know where the camera starts and ends.

All the rigs and accessories come with this SO you can easily spend A lot of money making a still camera a video camera. In some cases it is more economical shooting a dedicated video camera. I use the Canon XA-20 with the Audio Technica BP-29 mic because I can change the pick up pattern of the audio which I think is really important in this style of microphone. Lavalieres are also good to have. The topic if Audio production is as involved as lighting and gels etc.

You have to know going into a situation what you want to do after the fact when you can not re-shoot.

I can suggest the website:

DSLR video shooter.com (all one word in the search) and news shooter.com

I can also suggest the web site Lynda.com which does cost and you can cancel at anytime. It is $25/month as a start and I think you get a 7 day free trial. They have video training on shooting and editing video.

I started as a film shooter which became video before getting into still photography which uses the main concepts across platforms.

Just depends how serious and intense you need to be and how flexible too.

On the editing side if you use a Mac Final Cut is great but you have a learning curve. iMovie is a great program and is like the Photoshop Elements of video.  Their are many plug-ins for effect like stills.

I can't speak for a PC, industry standard is Apple Mac for video and photography needs.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BillSprague
Regular MemberPosts: 396Gear list
Like?

I've been taking pictures for decades. With encouragement from my drop-dead-gorgeous, charming and brilliant granddaughters I decided to learn videography. I wasted a year fiddling around looking for the best way to do it.

If I had done a couple things, I would have made much more rapid progress.

First, before you do anything else, read Steve Stockman's book "How to Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck". He de-emphasizes camera gear and outlines necessary techniques.

Second, pick some editing software. It doesn't matter which one as long as you invest some time in understanding it. Sony, Corel and Adobe all have very capable versions that are priced between $60 and $80. My personal favorite is Adobe Premier Elements. The reason is that there are vast learning resources. For $25 and several evenings you can watch Steve Grisetti teach you on Lynda.com.

I promise that if you follow my two steps, you will be making pretty good videos in a couple weeks.

If you want any specific questions answered, please post them. If you would like to see one or two examples of what Steve Stockman and Steve Grisetti taught me, I'll post a link to a couple on Vimeo.

Good luck!

(On Edit:  I noticed you are using a Mac when I reread your original post.  I strongly recommend you consider Adobe Premier Elements 12 and Grissetti's training for an under $100 choice.  If price is not an object, consider the full Adobe CC for access to the professional version of Premier.

If you are a Lightroom user, a hidden surprise is that it does a credible job of simple and easy video production.)

-- hide signature --

Bill Sprague

BillSprague's gear list:BillSprague's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
averacpa
Like?
In reply to BillSprague, 3 months ago

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I have downloaded and started to read the book and planning on getting the Premier Elements and will be viewing the training videos shortly.

My goal is to be able to make good video stories to go along with my travel slideshows.

BillSprague
Like?

averacpa wrote:

My goal is to be able to make good video stories to go along with my travel slideshows.

Premier Elements allows you to weave photos and video clips together.  You can add Ken Burns style pan and zoom effects as well as control audio in a number of ways.

I made a video with photos and videos together for a trip to the Grand Canyon last year.  You might enjoy it:  https://vimeo.com/64474485

-- hide signature --

Bill Sprague

Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
JeanPierre Martel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,956Gear list
Like?

averacpa wrote:

I want to use the equipment I have to add a video component to my travels. I am just starting out and looking for basic advice and tips on how to shoot and process videos (...) Specifically what books or guides to read, which software is easier to edit and splice the various clips, what tips and settings to use on my equipment, etc..

The main camera will be the EM-1 with the Panny GX-1 as backup or setup with the 45-150. I am also using a Mac Pro computer.

When I'm travelling, I'm taking stills and movie clips with an OM-D e-m1 (for colour photos) and a Panasonic GH1 (for infrared shots) and I mix and match them to created slideshows which illustrate what I've seen abroad.

To create these slideshows, I'm using Fotomagico for Mac. It's available at the App store for US$100. This software is very user friendly: you just drag'n drop stills and movies from the Finder to Fotomagico, and, in the case of clips, select the entry and end point of each clip.

These are two examples. The first one contains 83 stills (some are infrared shots) and 19 clips (mostly at the end of the slideshow):
http://jpmartel.wordpress.com/2013/10/12/miramar/ (forget the French text)

...while the second example is mostly made from clips:
http://jpmartel.wordpress.com/2013/09/06/lhotel-nacional-de-la-havane/ (forget the French text)

Fotomagico has some primitive tools to adjust white balance and brightness. It's not a professional software and, consequently, is quite easy to learn.

JeanPierre Martel's gear list:JeanPierre Martel's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +19 more
Lee Beasley
Senior MemberPosts: 2,323Gear list
Like?

You might want to try iMovie first before springing for Premier Elements. It is surprisingly full-featured. When I first acquired grandchildren, I developed a sudden interest in shooting video. At the time, I was a dyed-in-the-wool PC builder and user. That was all it took for me to become a Mac user. I've never looked back--at either a PC or Premier Elements. You can graduate to Final Cut Pro, but I'm not a cinematographer, just a grandma.

Lee Beasley's gear list:Lee Beasley's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
averacpa
Like?
In reply to Lee Beasley, 3 months ago

Thought about iMovie, but according to Apple, iMovie will only import motion jpeg format movies from the EM-1 (does not list the TG-3 camera as supported) and not H.264 which I understand is a better format (better compression and therefor smaller files) and a newer standard.

BillSprague
Like?

averacpa wrote:

Thought about iMovie, but according to Apple, iMovie will only import motion jpeg format movies from the EM-1 (does not list the TG-3 camera as supported) and not H.264 which I understand is a better format (better compression and therefor smaller files) and a newer standard.

I don't and never have had an Apple computer.  So, I really don't know how they work.

However, I participate on a camcorder/videography forum where many have posted some confusion about iMovie and Apple's support of later video formats, especially AVCHD/H.264.

My first suggestion still holds.  Don't do as I did and investigate all the options looking for the best.  You'll get further ahead, and sooner, if you focus on a one editing system.  Don't try to learn a little about several of them.  Instead, master one first.  Later you can try all the others.

-- hide signature --

Bill Sprague

averacpa
Like?
In reply to BillSprague, 3 months ago

Hi Bill,

Good and sound advice; that is why I am leaning towards getting the Adobe Premier Elements 12 instead of the iMovie. The cost difference is not much, but Premier imports a larger number of video formats so I don't have to worry about whether my TG-3 videos will import into iMovie.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads