Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Hen3ry
Forum ProPosts: 10,968Gear list
Like?
+++++ This week through your m43 -- 5 July +++++
5 months ago

The rools:

1. Take a nice picture (or seven) and upload it to your gallery
  2. Reply to this thread -- BUT CHANGING THE SUBJECT LINE TO ONE WHICH DESCRIBES YOUR PICTURE(S)
  3. Post the picture(s) PLUS useful photographic info like location, exposure choices, PP, random juicy family gossip (but nothing involving religion), etc.
  4. Bask in the friendly praise and confirming criticism from others
  5. Look at others' pix and offer your friendly C & C.

At about post 120:

1. We will start Part 2 of this thread against the threat of hitting the 149 message wall.
  2. You may, of course, continue to post to this original thread, but we recommend that you post new pix to the Part 2 thread to maximize the chance of others seeing and enjoying your fine work and providing valuable C&C.

Enjoy!

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
dcassat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,168Gear list
Like?
Weather Transitions
In reply to Hen3ry, 5 months ago

My favorite times here are those when the weather is changing rapidly and there are lots of clouds to work with... here are a couple of examples.  Both shot with the 9-18, the one over the lake is a five shot bracket, blended with the Lightroom add-on, Enfuse.

-- hide signature --

Dan

dcassat's gear list:dcassat's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hen3ry
Like?
Busy subjects, busy backgrounds, more festival stuff

Nothing doing on day 2 of the Melanesian Festival of Arts and Culture -- or rather, there was stuff doing but it was cloudy, rainy, and windy, and I thought "B+ggerit! I am old enough and ugly enough not to worry!" so I stayed home.

BUT a magnificent day yesterday, so I was out and about; although the dances, etc., were not spectacular (from my POV) we all enjoyed ourselves through the day and into the evening.

I got in a bit more time with the Panny 100-300 and the Panny 12-35 on the Panny G6 and began to feel a bit more at home with the outfit.

Some pix:

New Caledonian dancers was given a big welcome by the Papua New Guinea audience interested to see how people on other islands do stuff. 12-35.

The Malaita, Solomon Islands girls were not as traditional as some local dancers, but they got a big hand -- especially after it was pointed out that "bride price" there runs upwards of $100,000. (Local bride prices are 400-600 fathoms of tambu -- traditional shell money, the equivalent of about $1500 -- with perhaps another $500 in cash. 100-300.

Adjusting the headdress prior to a performance. This pic was in fairly heavy open shade -- I had to work hard in PP to jack up the contrast and the saturation (a bit) and the brightness so the subject could be separated from the background. We've all had the problem of busy backgrounds; here we had a busy subject! The 12-35 in action on the G6. 12-35.

Some faces:

A New Caledonian dancer. I dredged my mind for the school French of circa 1956 and was able to come out with a beautifully accented "Merci". A minute or two later, the rest of the sentence, "…beaucoup, monsieur/mon ami" came to mind. Too late! But he was happy with the "merci". 12-35. Look st the ISO -- mute testimony to the fact that the little rubber guard I stuck on the camera to keep my thumb off the 4-way did not survive. It fell off fairly early, to my surprise, the problem then became that I went on taking pix thinking it was in place so not being at all careful about accidentally pressing the button. Sigh! Now for Plan B… (Um, try exactly the same again.)

A Solomons Islands "Island rock" singer -- and a considerable character who entertained the crowd mightily. 45-150.

A dancer from Kiunga in the Western Province of PNG. Seriously traditional stuff. Those beautiful feathers on the front of his headdress are Bird of Paradise. Hunting them using traditional means (not guns, basically) is permitted to retain authenticity of traditional costuming. 12-35.

Thousands turned out last night to see the Bainings Fire Dance making a (fairly) rare visit to town. Nobody could actually see anything much except those in the front line or two around the ever-shrinking (through crowd pressure) fire and dance area but everyone was happy and we all had a good time. I remembered to jack up the ISO a bit (to 1600) and took this OOC JEG of part of the crowd with the 12-35 @ 35. Hand held over my head taking full advantage of the G6's articulated screen. OIS on, of course. I think 1/15. Focus in the murky conditions was lightning fast. Thanks G6 and f23.8.

A few minutes later I sidled through the friendly crowd to get a closer shot of the dancers. I hadn't intended to do this at this point, so didn't have my FL600 flash on the camera. However, the G6's flip up flash did a wonderful job. ISO was still at 1600 (I had actually forgotten I had set it at that so I was a bit surprised when I saw the coverage!). I burnt in the bottom half the pic a bit to even out exposure. I still had the shutter set to 1/15 (or something) so I got a bit of background with that. 12-35 @ 12. I had to take the lens hood off because it introduces a shadow into the bottom 20% of the pic with he little flash, but I knew that. Without the hood, you only lose sobut 10% of the bottom of the pic to that phenomenon. Again, focus was fast and accurate.

An experiment that didn't work. I normally have the cam set to AFS. Since I sas shooting slow burst to catch the fast moving dancers, and I am an open minded, forever eager to learn kind of bloke, I bethought me it would be jolly good to try AFC for a chance. Then the dancers parted and my center focus area hit the people in the background! Okay, AFC works a treat -- so long as you keep the focus point on the subject! 100-300.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Hen3ry
Like?
Re: Weather Transitions - lovely pix with a great lens, Dan
In reply to dcassat, 5 months ago

Your first one -- how accurate is the color? It is a tough too yellow, or is that how it actually looked?

It certainly is a stunning pic, very painterly and, oddly, very European (to my eye). I went to your profile to check which part of Europe you were from! Sonama CA, LOL!

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard

Robbster
Regular MemberPosts: 263Gear list
Like?
Statue of Liberty at Night, Surprising Results shot with GM1

Statue of Liberty Twilight 100% crop shot with GM1 and Oly 14-150 at 300mm equiv. FL, 200 ISO, f5.6, 1 sec, tripod. In camera JPEG, NO post processing other than cropping.  Motion of sloop flying flag passing in front of the camera during the exposure.

In the shot above, the point is sometimes events conspire to produce an unexpected but very nice result! In this case, as I was shooting the Statue of Liberty from our hotel room in Battery Park on lower Manhattan and generally experimenting with my new GM1, a sailing sloop passed by flying an American flag. It was moving right to left in the shot, so I knew the masts and flag would be blurred in the 1 second exposure, but shot it anyway, as I've sometimes gotten interesting motion effects with longer exposures, with the result you see above. Personally was thrilled at the outcome I do very little post processing, preferring to get results as much as possible with the camera directly, so this little surprise was very rewarding personally.

And here is another night shot a bit later, really liked the dramatic lighting...  Was very pleased to get these shots from so far away with such a simple and light weight setup.

Statue of Liberty Twilight 100% crop shot with GM1 and Oly 14-150 at 300mm equiv. FL, 200 ISO, f5.6, 3.2 sec, tripod. In camera JPEG, NO post processing other than cropping.

-- hide signature --

Create the future or live someone else's. Choose wisely!

Robbster's gear list:Robbster's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 +9 more
sinkas
Contributing MemberPosts: 614Gear list
Like?
Horse Drawn Rail Carriage

I wonder if there are any like this elsewhere? - specifically a horse drawn rail carriage along a pier from the mainland to an island. This is in Victor Harbour, South Australia.

-- hide signature --

Regards Daryl
http://dsinclair.zenfolio.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/123427081@N03/
Hobbes: You're ignorant, but at least you act on it.”

sinkas's gear list:sinkas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +2 more
sinkas
Like?
Re: Busy subjects, busy backgrounds, more festival stuff

Nice photos Geoff. Especially liked 2, 4 and 5.

-- hide signature --

Regards Daryl

Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +2 more
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,540Gear list
Like?
Re: Weather Transitions

Nice shots - both of them.

I like the way you've brought out the tones in your processing.

S

-- hide signature --

My Flickr stream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottkmacleod/
My latest work of fiction:
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/444160
My kit: E-P3, 12/2.0, 17/1.8, 45/1.8, 60/2.8 Macro, 7.5 Fisheye, 7-14, 12-35 f2.8, 14-42 IIR, 40-150 ED, 75-300 II

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +11 more
sinkas
Like?
Re: Weather Transitions

Nice photos, but would reduce the yellow saturation of the first.

-- hide signature --

Regards Daryl

NZ Scott
Like?
Re: Busy subjects, busy backgrounds, more festival stuff

That ISO 12800 shot came out quite nicely, Geoff!

S

-- hide signature --

My Flickr stream:
My kit: E-P3, 12/2.0, 17/1.8, 45/1.8, 60/2.8 Macro, 7.5 Fisheye, 7-14, 12-35 f2.8, 14-42 IIR, 40-150 ED, 75-300 II

Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +11 more
NZ Scott
Like?
Re: Statue of Liberty at Night, Surprising Results shot with GM1
In reply to Robbster, 5 months ago

That first shot is really quite cool!

S

-- hide signature --

My Flickr stream:

zenfr2009
Contributing MemberPosts: 982Gear list
Like?
GX7 + G1X ...

Some pictures taken recently in NY :

zenfr2009's gear list:zenfr2009's gear list
Leica X1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Fujifilm X100S Nikon D300S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +1 more
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,585Gear list
Like?
Noctilucent clouds in the Netherlands

Short explanation. These clouds are not completely understood, but tend to form from the end of mai to the middle of august. The clouds are at much higher altitudes than any other clouds. A cirrus may reach 20 km, NLCs from above 80km.

They can only be seen and northerly/southerly latitudes and are best seen between 50 and 65 degrees, with the best displays after solstic and especially july in the north. In the southenr hemisphere at the same latitidues they seem to be less common (unusre though).
They clouds can only be seen when the sun has dipped 6 degrees below the horizon and depend on a very cold upper atmosphere which happens to be in the summers..

So not to be confused with some cirrus cloud AT sunset and also not to be confused with Aurora Borealis. What these two have in common is that they occur at about the same latitides (roughly), have beautiful, vibrant colours.

On the camera, the GH4..focussing (manually of course) was difficult but I made it difficult to as I shot at f2.8 to keep ISO and noise down. F4 or f5.6 would have been better with higher ISO. I shot with the new Transcend R95-W60 U-3 class I card. Also 4K video for long stretches. It performed admirably at only 39 euro's. The camera was used virtually constantly from 23.00h - 04.00 h with the flipout screen on. Including 1-20 minutes of footage. The battery was at 2/3 by the end of this. In short: great.

JPGs are supposed to be bad on the GH4 according to some. As I do not like silkypix, I simply used the JPGs and processed them sometimes and very slightly in Adobe Elements 8. The JPGs look and colours are very close to reality. It did better again than my OLY EPL5, which I find surprising but if I do remmeber correctly the EPL5 JPGs can look better with other subjects.

With the 35-100 mm f2.8 you can easily shoot a couple of images to form a panorama with fantastic detail. I keep saying this: what a lens it is!

Enough words....the pics.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Hen3ry
Like?
Scotty - yes, but…
In reply to NZ Scott, 5 months ago

NZ Scott wrote:

That ISO 12800 shot came out quite nicely, Geoff

Yes, surprisingly good -- at web sizes (which is all I actually want in this instance).

But not so good t 100% even with a touch of sharpening! LOL.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard

klythawk
Regular MemberPosts: 269Gear list
Like?
More nature....
In reply to Jorginho, 5 months ago

Female Banded Demoiselle. E-M1/100-300mm

Red Headed Cardinal Beetle. E-M1/60mm

6 Spot Burnet Moth. E-M5/60mm

Small Skipper. E-M5/60mm

Thanks for looking, John

-- hide signature --
 klythawk's gear list:klythawk's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +6 more
Hen3ry
Like?
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, pix Jorginho!

Wonderful pix and thank you for the detailed explanation. Fascinating. Regarding the southern hemisphere, don't forget there is very little land and even less population in the latitudes you are talking about (Tierra del Fuego, the Falkland Islands, and Antarctica are about half the list) - so it would make sense that these clouds would be less reported there even if they occurred just as frequently as in the north.

And as you say, outstanding performance by the GH4. You must be very pleased.

Now back to the World Cup. Viva!… Oops! Did I say something wrong? LOL.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard

klythawk
Like?
Re: GX7 + G1X ...
In reply to zenfr2009, 5 months ago

Cool set, really like the stare in No2

-- hide signature --
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +6 more
klythawk
Like?
Re: Noctilucent clouds in the Netherlands

Splendid, all of them !!!

-- hide signature --
chrisjjb
Regular MemberPosts: 198Gear list
Like?
Insects before nights

As per my normal routine before a run of nights I go for a walk in the small forest near my house. Amazing how many insects you never appreciate before you owned a macro lens

My wife has observed that walks took less time before I had this lens

Mostly square crops as I plan to have a wall of square photos on the boys room

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisjjb
All answers are replies, but not all replies are answers

chrisjjb's gear list:chrisjjb's gear list
Nikon D610 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
chrisjjb
Regular MemberPosts: 198Gear list
Like?
Re: Noctilucent clouds in the Netherlands

Those are very nice. The contrast is just right. I love the colours as well

Clouds look amazing. Do you use the GH4 mainly for stills or do you video as well?

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisjjb
All answers are replies, but not all replies are answers

chrisjjb's gear list:chrisjjb's gear list
Nikon D610 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads