e-m10 or e-m5

Started 5 months ago | Questions
Yeyo
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
e-m10 or e-m5
5 months ago

Hello all I'm going to be buying a Mirrorless camera soon and been looking at olympus e-m5 and em-10 I want the camera to do events and as a walk around camera where I live is a an island with beaches and tropical forest and urban areas. My question is this should I buy the e-m5 for the wather sealed feature or the e-m10 for the timelapse feature? Prices right now are e-m10 $699, e-m5 $799 any opinions?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Maklike Tier
Regular MemberPosts: 317Gear list
Like?
Re: e-m10 or e-m5
In reply to Yeyo, 5 months ago

Before settling on the E-P5, I had a long hard look at both the E-M5 and E-M10.  Given the choice, I would've gone for the E-M10 because.....

1. WiFi.

2. Do you actually shoot in the rain?  (Has anyone ever had a successful weather related warranty claim?)

3. DR on the E-M10 seemed better.

4. It's smaller than the E-M5 making it even more discreet.

5. It's really all about the lens anyway, so if you can save $100 on a body, do it.

6. There's a special edition one with orange faux leather grip out at the moment which looks cool

Maklike Tier's gear list:Maklike Tier's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bluevellet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,785Gear list
Like?
It's simple

Buy an EM-10 if you want the latest.

Buy the EM5 if you want weather sealing.

bluevellet's gear list:bluevellet's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon D610 +7 more
MarkLeeds2k5
Forum MemberPosts: 75
Like?

To me, the biggest advantages the em5 have over the em10 are the 5 axis stabilisation, weather sealing, and battery grip.

The biggest advantages the em10 have over the em5 are an em1 level image processor, wifi, and more up to date firmware. I certainly wouldn't say olympus has abandoned the em5, but it is closer to being replaced than the other two, and while the em1 and em10 both got the anti shock firmware update a few weeks ago, no update was released for the em5.

I own the em10, and unless you are REALLY going to be shooting in severe weather environments, that's the camera I would recommend. The way I see it Olympus made the em5, learned from that and made the em1, then learned from that and made the em10.

That's not to say the em10 is the best of the bunch, that's clearly the em1, but I do feel the em10 has benefited from lessons learned from the cameras that came before it.

merijnwijnen
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
e-m5 used?
In reply to MarkLeeds2k5, 5 months ago

If you are on a budget, the E-M5 on the used market can be a steal. New they go (body only) for 799 euro, used here in Holland around 450. The E-M10 new is 599, and used not available.

Regards,

Merijn

-- hide signature --

Merijn Wijnen

merijnwijnen's gear list:merijnwijnen's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 10D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
sylon
Regular MemberPosts: 219Gear list
Like?
Re: e-m5 used?
In reply to merijnwijnen, 5 months ago

This is a good point, look for deals on ebay / second hand and also clearance deals in local camera shops.

This is kind of an extreme example but i just managed to get a brand new E-M5 for $50.  Its because I got a crazy good deal on the E-M5 + 12-40 f2.8 pro lens - $900 after cashback, I sold the 12-40 zoom for $850 and kept the body for $50!

sylon's gear list:sylon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
fullerms
Forum MemberPosts: 87Gear list
Like?
EM-5

I would recommend the EM-5.

Compared to the EM-10,

You gain -Weather Sealing, 5 Axis IBIS.

You lose - WiFi, focus peaking.

There are rumors that focus peaking could come to the EM-5 in a future update. If that works out, the only feature you lose is WiFi.

Upto you to decide if that is a deal breaker or now.

fullerms's gear list:fullerms's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Yeyo
Like?
Re: EM-5
In reply to fullerms, 5 months ago

What about the weather sealed feature does it really works?

AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,835Gear list
Like?

Yeyo wrote:

What about the weather sealed feature does it really works?

Oly are uncommittal as to what "Splash proof" means , a few submerged their Original E-1s (the first "Splash proof" Oly) but it was probably better sealed than any other DSLR this side of a 1DS-III .

Kai emptied a bottle of water over an EM5 + 12-50, is that a splash ? , or can being hit by a wave on the pier classified as a "Splash" ? . Oly wouldn`t want the things to be referred to as Weathersealed because that would mean accepting some kind of responsibility for their ability to shrug off water and their historic propensity toward repair dodging is legendary (splash proof is so Vague that they could refuse repair on a cam which had only seen the contents of a teat pipette and get away with it) but if the E1 is anything to go by, the sealing will be pretty good though you`ll need a sealed lens - the cheapo sealed weird 12-50 is ideal for bad weather use ..

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Yeyo
Like?
In reply to AdamT, 5 months ago

Still wondering which one i dont know decisions decisions...

RaymondR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,907Gear list
Like?
In reply to fullerms, 5 months ago

you lose more than that by going 5 over 10, the 10 has a more up to date processor and a better AF system.

the real benefits of the 5 are the 5 axis IBIS and the weather sealing (but that only holds full valueif your lenses are weather sealed as well).

I went with the 10 as I decided the better AF and better processor outweighed the 5 axis IBIS -- weather sealing was of no value to me as I don't shoot in conditions where that would matter.

-- hide signature --

RaymondR

RaymondR's gear list:RaymondR's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Marty4650
Forum ProPosts: 10,059Gear list
Like?
As an E-M5 owner.... the question is intriguing

I purchased an E-M5 because it was a nice big step up from my E-30, and it was the only option I had to make that move two years ago. If I were making that same decision today, it would be a much more difficult choice, because now there are three options. And the interesting thing is these cameras are NOT set apart by image quality. All three will provide roughly the same image quality. It is the other features that will set them apart.

Obviously, the flagship E-M1 is the best camera in the group. But it should be since it costs considerably more than the other two. It is the only real option for people who want to use PDAF 4/3 lenses due to the on chip PDAF and the much better grip. It also has the best EVF, and probably the best build quality of the three cameras. It is worthy of being the flagship because it stands head and shoulders above the other two.

But....... the E-M10 has an awful lot going for it.....

• smallest and lightest OM-D camera
  • cheapest when purchased brand new
  • the only one with a built in flash
  • has the same image processor as the E-M1
  • has focus peaking, like the E-M1
  • has 81 focus points, like the E-M1
  • has a 1,037,000 dot LCD, like the E-M1
  • has WIFI, like the E-M1
  • has timelapse recording, like the E-M1
  • the "hump" looks better due to the removal of the accessory port

And..... the E-M5 has a few things going for it too

• not much more expensive than an E-M10
  • has a magnesium alloy body, like the E-M1
  • has weather sealing, like the E-M1
  • has 5-axis IS, like the E-M1

If I were facing the same decision I made two years ago, I think the E-M10 would be my first choice. But that is because I want the smallest and lightest camera with a built in EVF, and I don't want to use 4/3 lenses with my M4/3 camera. And the $100 saved by selecting the E-M10 over the E-M5 could be applied towards a better lens.

There really is no good reason to stop using my E-M5. The E-M1 is more camera than I need, and the E-M10 has a few nice new features, but would be a foolish expense without any improvement in image quality from a camera I already own. In fact, the E-M5 should be my main camera for quite a few more years to come.

Because it really is THAT good, and I already own it.

But your situation is different from mine. If I were in your place, with more choices available to me than I had two years ago, I think the E-M10 would be my choice.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
Yeyo
Like?
Re: As an E-M5 owner.... the question is intriguing
In reply to Marty4650, 5 months ago

Thanks all for replying and thanks marty Ill be using it to do events and ocasionally take pics in forest and nature. Do you think weather sealung should be essential or will the em10 work fine in nature places like forests?

Steven Wandy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,928Gear list
Like?
EM10 for me (after coming from an EM5)

I had the EM5 and went with the EM10 (with a stop with the EP5 in the middle) mainly for the newer technology (newer processor allows for a lot of the things others have already brought up) and the slightly smaller size/weight. (BTW - I was never a grip person and always felt that the buttons on the EM5 - because of the weather sealing - were very mushy.)

Do I miss the weather sealing - not often and none of my lenses are weather sealed anyway.

Do I miss the 5-Axis vs the 3-Axis - not at all. The two "missing axises" are used mainly for video movement and the EM10 does make up for them with digital stabilization when shooting video. (Which I will admit I don't do a lot of, but the few times I have done it on the EM10 I was very impressed.)

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
robjan245
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
Re: EM10 for me (after coming from an EM5)
In reply to Steven Wandy, 5 months ago

I'm thinking about getting the EM5 myself for an upcoming trip to Alaska.  I'm concerned with some of the youtube reviews I've seen with focusing issues when shooting indoors.  Anyone with this camera care to comment?

robjan245's gear list:robjan245's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM
Randy Benter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,093Gear list
Like?

I also had the E-M5 and now have the E-M10. The 3 things I hated about the E-M5 have been fixed in the E-M10:

1. E-M10 has a built-in flash
  2. E-M10 has anti-shock settings
  3. E-M10 has less EVF lag

I am much happier with the E-M10. If I needed weather sealing I would get the E-M1. I wouldn't recommend the E-M5 to anyone considering Oly's other options.

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Leica X2 Fujifilm X100S Leica X Vario Leica M Typ 240 Fujifilm X-E2 +27 more
Yeyo
Like?
In reply to Randy Benter, 5 months ago

Thanks to all now im really considering the e-m10 now I have a question is it more comfortable to hold in hand or is the e-m5 more comroftable? Also how many shots can the battery of the em10 take? I read that the e-m5 can take 500 at least does the e-m10 even compare?

cathy adams
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?

I just bought the e-m5 used, with a grip, for an excellent price, and I could not be happier with it. I thought about the 10, but the image quality is wonderful, it's wonderfully balanced with it's grip, and I love the stabalization. I am outside alot, on the east coast, sometimes in the mist, so will be looking at weather resistant lenses to complement it.

cathy adams's gear list:cathy adams's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +2 more
Marty4650
Forum ProPosts: 10,059Gear list
Like?
Re: As an E-M5 owner.... the question is intriguing

Yeyo wrote:

Thanks all for replying and thanks marty Ill be using it to do events and ocasionally take pics in forest and nature. Do you think weather sealung should be essential or will the em10 work fine in nature places like forests?

Weather sealing is wonderful, if you want to shoot in harsh conditions. By this I mean... outdoors during thunderstorms, at sandy or dusty locations when the wind is blowing, in sub zero weather, or in tropical very humid climates.

Just remember, no weather sealing is perfect, and weather sealing doesn't mean "water proof." For most shooting situations, an unsealed camera might be perfectly fine. I know I used my (unsealed) Olympus E-510, Olympus E-P1, Olympus E-30, and Olympus E-PL2 for years and in some cases during light rain, or when it was snowing, and never had a problem.

Also please remember, that a weather sealed camera won't help you if your lenses aren't weather sealed as well. And there are very few weather sealed M4/3 lenses available today, and those that are seem to be very expensive. Some of the very best M4/3 lenses aren't weather sealed, (45mm f/1.8, 75mm f/1.8), but some others are (12-40mm f/2.8, 60mm f/2.8 Macro).

So it just depends on how you plan to use your camera. If you live in a very humid sub tropical climate, then it might be a good idea. If you plan to use your camera for kayaking, water skiing, or other events near water or sand, then it might help a lot.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
fullerms
Forum MemberPosts: 87Gear list
Like?

Yeyo wrote:

Thanks to all now im really considering the e-m10 now I have a question is it more comfortable to hold in hand or is the e-m5 more comroftable? Also how many shots can the battery of the em10 take? I read that the e-m5 can take 500 at least does the e-m10 even compare?

The E-M5 handles much better with the HLD-6 grip, and I would say a grip is required when you use heavier lenses such as the 12-40 f/2.8. (The E-M5 with the 12-40 is an awesome combo btw.)

You cant go wrong with any of the OMD cameras, its only a matter of deciding which features are important. Olympus has a promotion going until July 19, you might want to take a look at the link below.

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/lens_promotion?icn=homepage&ici=aprlens

fullerms's gear list:fullerms's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads