Milkweed alert

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,553Gear list
Like?
Milkweed alert
5 months ago

On Wednesday, warm and sunny, I happened upon two different Milkweed patches which were very aromatic and abuzz with bee, moth, dragonfly and butterfly activity.

So I had lots of fun sitting in the truck pointing the 100-300 mm lens:

Hard to imagine that this little patch of milkweeds would yield such a treasure!

I think that it was the combo of milkweed maturity, aroma, temperature and sunshine with contributed to this event.  I will be keeping my eyes (and nose) open for other sites on the next hot sunny day!

Tom

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
Michael L NYC 99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,125Gear list
Like?
Re: Milkweed alert
In reply to GeorgianBay1939, 5 months ago

Excellent results Tom. Hard to believe you can see all of that from your truck. Happy 4th to you.

Regards

Michael

-- hide signature --

See my Flickr photostream here Michael.Lee.Pics.NYC

Michael L NYC 99's gear list:Michael L NYC 99's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ron Evers
Senior MemberPosts: 1,137Gear list
Like?

Looking good Tom.  I assume we are viewing some heavy crops.

-- hide signature --

The wood is clear between the knots.

Ron Evers's gear list:Ron Evers's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +11 more
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,465
Like?
Very Enjoyable Photos . . .

This reminds me that years ago during a cruise of the Southern Caribbean, we went to a butterfly farm, on I think, St Marrten.

One of the things that I most recall, was that, by far the most popular butterfly they sold was the Monarch and that since they fed only on Milkweed, it was a major expense for them.  It would grow on the island but not well.  That they spent a great deal of effort on making sure their Monarch butterflies got enough to eat.

We North Americans in the tour were surprised that something that is such a common, almost unnoticeable, part of our summers could seem so . . . exotic, to others.

Your photos brought back a most pleasurable time of my life to me.  Thanks.

-- hide signature --

I look good fat, I'm gonna look good old. . .
http://glenbarrington.blogspot.com/

B-rad
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,142Gear list
Like?

Nice shots. How do you like that lens? I'm thinking of getting the new version for my new M10. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Brad
Windsor.Ontario.Canada
WSSA member#52
PBase Supporter
www.pbase.com/bradsandy

B-rad's gear list:B-rad's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Old Listener
Regular MemberPosts: 388Gear list
Like?

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

On Wednesday, warm and sunny, I happened upon two different Milkweed patches which were very aromatic and abuzz with bee, moth, dragonfly and butterfly activity.

Hard to imagine that this little patch of milkweeds would yield such a treasure!

I think that it was the combo of milkweed maturity, aroma, temperature and sunshine with contributed to this event. I will be keeping my eyes (and nose) open for other sites on the next hot sunny day!

Tom

Lots of great pictures.  I always like pictures of the moth (?) that looks like a flying crayfish.

I see similar behavior about flowers suddenly becoming the place to eat.  I can't see the difference but insects sense when a flower or a group of flowers are at their peak for producing nectar and pollen.  An example

bugs on grindelia flower. (Gumplant)  The flower was about 1 - 1.5 inches across.

Old Listener's gear list:Old Listener's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Nikon D5000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +4 more
GeorgianBay1939
Like?
In reply to Michael L NYC 99, 5 months ago

Michael L NYC 99 wrote:

Excellent results Tom. Hard to believe you can see all of that from your truck. Happy 4th to you.

Regards

Michael

-- hide signature --

See my Flickr photostream here Michael.Lee.Pics.NYC

Thanks Michael,

Yes, that 100-300 lens (plus some mobility issues that showed up last fall) has opened my eyes to a whole new world in our ditches.   Most of those shots were at minimum focus distance (1.5m ~ 5 ft).  So whenever I see a potential spot I just pull over to the left shoulder of the road and keep my eyes open.

Already celebrated with fireworks, cake etc ... Last Tuesday for Canucks!

Celebrating your Independence Day today!  Have a good one!

T

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
GeorgianBay1939
Like?
In reply to Ron Evers, 5 months ago

Ron Evers wrote:

Looking good Tom. I assume we are viewing some heavy crops.

-- hide signature --

The wood is clear between the knots.

Thanks Ron.

Variable crops. This one was taken close to minimum focus distance:

OOC uncropped, just RAW conversion in LR5.3. No tweaking. Downsized to 70% quality to reduce file size for DPR. Best to view full size.

BTW, I learned to keep my eye on the proboscis and to AF-S on the flowerlet that it was using. That gave me better keeper rates than trying to keep that critter in focus. It moves very erratically, very quickly. IF I get another opportunity I will shoot in mechanical shutter right from the start!

T

DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,196Gear list
Like?
 DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +26 more
GeorgianBay1939
Like?
Re: Very Enjoyable Photos . . .
In reply to Glen Barrington, 5 months ago

Glen Barrington wrote:

This reminds me that years ago during a cruise of the Southern Caribbean, we went to a butterfly farm, on I think, St Marrten.

One of the things that I most recall, was that, by far the most popular butterfly they sold was the Monarch and that since they fed only on Milkweed, it was a major expense for them. It would grow on the island but not well. That they spent a great deal of effort on making sure their Monarch butterflies got enough to eat.

We North Americans in the tour were surprised that something that is such a common, almost unnoticeable, part of our summers could seem so . . . exotic, to others.

Your photos brought back a most pleasurable time of my life to me. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

I look good fat, I'm gonna look good old. . .
http://glenbarrington.blogspot.com/

This is the first summer in my life that I have really noticed the frenetic activities around a patch of milkweed!  I suspect that familiarity breeds un-noticeability.

One of the great joys of this recent hobby is that I notice more nowadays.

And I am pleased when my long suffering friends express appreciation for noticing new things in their everyday lives ... as a  result of seeing some of my stuff.

Tom

GeorgianBay1939
Like?
In reply to B-rad, 5 months ago

B-rad wrote:

Nice shots. How do you like that lens? I'm thinking of getting the new version for my new M10. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Brad
Windsor.Ontario.Canada
WSSA member#52
PBase Supporter
www.pbase.com/bradsandy

Thanks Brad.

I use the Panny 100-300 mm a lot as I am now obsessed with BIF, birdies in trees (warblers etc), bugs and wildflowers.

Its IQ is sufficient for me. Jorginho posted some fine imagery here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53077503

ISSUES for me:

Very sticky barrel to change FL. I've pencilled it and polished it with microfibre. So to change FL, I hold the lens and rotate the camera body. It would be HORRIBLE to change FL will shooting video. I think that this stickiness seems to vary from unit to unit.

Manual Focus used to be "sticky" also but is improving with use.

The AF is not very fast compared to newer lenses, like the 35-100mm. Andrew Smallman has some very useful 100-300 mm AF info here: http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.ca/2014/06/panasonic-gh4-user-review-part-5-100.html

f/5.6 at the long lens makes it difficult to get wildlife in heavy shade or late in the day. I would buy a stabilized 300 mm f/4 lens with fast AF in a heartbeat. That would pair up nicely with the 14-140 mm, also a great lens.

"the new version"  ???

Tom

GeorgianBay1939
Like?
In reply to Old Listener, 5 months ago

Old Listener wrote:

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

On Wednesday, warm and sunny, I happened upon two different Milkweed patches which were very aromatic and abuzz with bee, moth, dragonfly and butterfly activity.

I think that it was the combo of milkweed maturity, aroma, temperature and sunshine with contributed to this event. I will be keeping my eyes (and nose) open for other sites on the next hot sunny day!

Tom

Lots of great pictures. I always like pictures of the moth (?) that looks like a flying crayfish.

Thanks Bill!   I thought of you when I saw the milkweeds attracting such a menagerie of critters.  That moth is the Hummingbird Clearwing Moth .

I see similar behavior about flowers suddenly becoming the place to eat. I can't see the difference but insects sense when a flower or a group of flowers are at their peak for producing nectar and pollen. An example

bugs on grindelia flower. (Gumplant) The flower was about 1 - 1.5 inches across.

Wow!  I DID notice the VERY STRONG perfume of the milkweeds when I shot that bunch of images. It was hot and sunny.  Perhaps the aroma signals food/pollen which sets off some sort of crowd behaviour.  In the case of the milkweeds it involved a variety of critters.

Lots of good fun (getting interesting content      )

Tom

some of our photos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bill_lesley_photos/
http://naturelover.smugmug.com/

GeorgianBay1939
Like?
In reply to DLBlack, 5 months ago

DLBlack wrote:

Excellent series!

Thanks!

t

Old Listener
Like?

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Lots of good fun (getting interesting content )

The pictures you have been posting have been about capturing interesting content.  I like such material and I find the people who are content oriented to be good forum companions.

More milkweed photos:

normal milkweed stem

Milkweed stem with a horde of oleander aphids.  They tap the stems and leaves for the sap.  Too many of them and the plant will die.  You can see that several leaves have already turned brown.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Nikon D5000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +4 more
wolfeel
Regular MemberPosts: 204Gear list
Like?

very nice set of photos

-- hide signature --

[i]If you can make money with it, it’s a “pro” gear no matter what the format. If you are using it for fun/hobby it’s a toy no matter what it says on the lens or what the marketing people made you believe.[/i]

wolfeel's gear list:wolfeel's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro
GeorgianBay1939
Like?

Old Listener wrote:

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

The pictures you have been posting have been about capturing interesting content. I like such material and I find the people who are content oriented to be good forum companions.

More milkweed photos:

normal milkweed stem

Milkweed stem with a horde of oleander aphids. They tap the stems and leaves for the sap. Too many of them and the plant will die. You can see that several leaves have already turned brown.

Yeah!

Now you've piqued my further interest in milkweeds!   My understanding is that the sap (latex?) of milkweeds is a factor in making the Monarchs toxic to predators.  Would this be true of oleander aphids?

T

Old Listener
Like?

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Now you've piqued my further interest in milkweeds! My understanding is that the sap (latex?) of milkweeds is a factor in making the Monarchs toxic to predators. Would this be true of oleander aphids?

I don't know whether eating milkweed sap makes the aphids toxic to their predators.  I know that the sap discourages most insects from eating the leaves and sap.  The oleander aphids and milkweed bugs (pictures in this gallery) have adapted to consume milkweed sap.

some pictures of milkweed and insects that feed on it.

GeorgianBay1939
Like?

Old Listener wrote:

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Now you've piqued my further interest in milkweeds! My understanding is that the sap (latex?) of milkweeds is a factor in making the Monarchs toxic to predators. Would this be true of oleander aphids?

I don't know whether eating milkweed sap makes the aphids toxic to their predators. I know that the sap discourages most insects from eating the leaves and sap. The oleander aphids and milkweed bugs (pictures in this gallery) have adapted to consume milkweed sap.

some pictures of milkweed and insects that feed on it.

Thanks Bill!

Very nice close-ups of those bugs and their habitat.... including the Lion's Tooth. (Dent de Lion).   I use  Lion's Tooth when considering the topic of 2-4-D etc when talking with lawn manicurers.

I shot some more images using the mechanical shutter today.  Got some more of the "flying crayfish":

Good news is that the marina owner chatted with me today and was very appreciative of my pointing out his Monarch Butterfly Garden.    Lotsa small battles, eh?

Tom

richj20
Senior MemberPosts: 2,224
Like?

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Now you've piqued my further interest in milkweeds!

How about milkweed seedpods -- for me, they are almost as beautiful as the flowers!

Photographed in the Sequoia National Forest, California:

Asclepias cordifolia

Asclepias cordifolia

Asclepias fascicularis

Asclepias fascicularis

Asclepias speciosa

Asclepias speciosa

- Richard

-- hide signature --

"Careful photographers run their own tests." - Fred Picker

GeorgianBay1939
Like?
In reply to richj20, 5 months ago

Yes!  For sure.

Nice depictions of those pods.

t

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads