Are my images Green?

Started 4 months ago | Questions
Powen
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Are my images Green?
4 months ago

I there I recently sent some images to be printed and they came back quite green and when I checked my settings they were not on S-RGB so changed them but they still appear green on my monitor but not in Photoshop. Can you help?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 11,041Gear list
Like?
Re: Are my images Green?
In reply to Powen, 4 months ago

Have you calibrated your monitor, and / or using the proper profile for your printer ?

The image you show is find on my monitor, which is calibrated.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
digital ed
Senior MemberPosts: 2,974Gear list
Like?
Isn't Photoshop in your computer therefore in your monitor?

Not green on my monitor.

-- hide signature --

"There is a little of not done yet in all of us."
John Madden, football coach

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,153Gear list
Like?
Looks good on my calibrated monitor
In reply to digital ed, 4 months ago
-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

HollywoodPics
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?

Looks perfect on both a calibrated and uncalibrated monitor.

BTW, more importantly, what a lovely photo and child!

-- hide signature --

GGB

Silverstreaks
Regular MemberPosts: 214Gear list
Like?
In reply to HollywoodPics, 4 months ago

Looks great on my Colormunki calibrated monitor and another vote for the cute baby

Silverstreaks's gear list:Silverstreaks's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
polizonte
Contributing MemberPosts: 566Gear list
Like?

Beautiful photo! The only green I can see on my uncalibrated iMac screen is the iris of the monster's eyes in the hat - I have had photos printed by a camera store that uses a Canon printer with no problems and of course, pharmacy chain prints show poor color.

-- hide signature --

Es mejor pescar que ser pescado.

polizonte's gear list:polizonte's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
Robert Palmqvist
Regular MemberPosts: 438
Like?

@ the cottage right now so can't check on a color calibrated monitor but looks good on my iPad

Great shot by the way...

Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,828
Like?
Looks green to me.

Powen wrote:

I there I recently sent some images to be printed and they came back quite green and when I checked my settings they were not on S-RGB so changed them but they still appear green on my monitor but not in Photoshop. Can you help?

I downloaded the image and opened it in Photoshop CS6. There was a lot of green in the shadows on the face. The charcoal kniting looked little off as well. RGB numbers indicated green was strong all over.

Go back to the RAW and change the WB by increasing magenta. When you do that, the white knit eye will look purple in the shadow, so something odd is going on.

What was the lighting like? Was it mixed incandescent and fluorescent?

Does your printer require sRGB? It is a rather narrow color space.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

polizonte
Contributing MemberPosts: 566Gear list
Like?
Re: Looks green to me.
In reply to Robin Casady, 4 months ago

I just downloaded the jpg original  and unlike the posted version, it does have an olive cast.

-- hide signature --

Es mejor pescar que ser pescado.

polizonte's gear list:polizonte's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
AllanRinggaard
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?

Hi

On my screen the preview on Dpreview looks correct. But when i select "original" size, the image appear to have a green tint.

So yes, i think you have some issues with color management.

I like the picture

A.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Allan Ringgaard
www.allanringgaard.dk
www.allanr.dk

Abouna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,043
Like?
In reply to AllanRinggaard, 4 months ago

AllanRinggaard wrote:

Hi

On my screen the preview on Dpreview looks correct. But when i select "original" size, the image appear to have a green tint.

So yes, i think you have some issues with color management.

I like the picture

A.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Allan Ringgaard
www.allanringgaard.dk
www.allanr.dk

Ditto what Allan said.  Preview looks good, full size is green.

And yes, I'm calibrated.

-- hide signature --
tomnorth
Regular MemberPosts: 436Gear list
Like?

I'm not sure if everyone clicked through to the larger version of the image. The image that shows within the post looks fine, but when I click through, the baby's face takes on a green tint.

tomnorth's gear list:tomnorth's gear list
Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +9 more
Robert Palmqvist
Regular MemberPosts: 438
Like?
In reply to Abouna, 4 months ago

Abouna wrote:

Ditto what Allan said. Preview looks good, full size is green.

And yes, I'm calibrated.

Full size looks green on iPad too.

digital ed
Senior MemberPosts: 2,974Gear list
Like?
A profile issue

Robin Casady wrote:

Powen wrote:

I downloaded the image and opened it in Photoshop CS6. There was a lot of green in the shadows on the face. The charcoal kniting looked little off as well. RGB numbers indicated green was strong all over.

Go back to the RAW and change the WB by increasing magenta. When you do that, the white knit eye will look purple in the shadow, so something odd is going on.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
—Mark Twain

I downloaded the image also and opened it in PhotoShop CC 2014.

Assigned sRGB profile: image is the greenish color

Assigned Adobe RGB profile: Less green

Assigned ProPhoto RGB: not green, much more reddish

I also have a calibrated monitor.

-- hide signature --

"There is a little of not done yet in all of us."
John Madden, football coach

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,628Gear list
Like?
You applied color space instead of converting.

OK I see what you are doing. I downloaded the original and opened in PS. It's tagged as sRGB and looks green and washed out. I "applied" (not converted) the proGB color space and the image looks like the preview/correct. I'm not sure what workflow you are using but you have to CONVERT to a profile, not assign them.

I uploaded the "fixed" file after I assigned proRGB and then -converted- back to sRGB. You will see now the click through original looks fine. (I downsampled it to save upload time).

Fixed-Not my image

And honestly, unless you really understand color space (and know why you really need a wider color space for a particular image), you're probably better off capturing and working in sRGB. Wider <> "better". For most images, even when used correctly, the difference is pretty subtle but the problems caused by incorrect color space use is not, as you have found out.

I understand color space but I still work in sRGB most of the time as that is what most of my images will end up in anyway. If it's a "special" images, I can always pull a aRGB etc. out of the RAW file to edit for printing on a wide gamut printer.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
Stacey_K
Like?
Re: A profile issue
In reply to digital ed, 4 months ago

digital ed wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

Powen wrote:

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
—Mark Twain

I downloaded the image also and opened it in PhotoShop CC 2014.

Assigned sRGB profile: image is the greenish color

Assigned Adobe RGB profile: Less green

Assigned ProPhoto RGB: not green, much more reddish

Correct, (see my post below), the OP had the image as a proRGB or some other really wide gamut color space and then -assigned- sRGB rather than -converting- it to sRGB. If you assign proRGB to the original and then convert it to sRGB, it starts to look normal again.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
Photo Thoughts
Regular MemberPosts: 151Gear list
Like?

Extremely cute, but not much green on my calibrated screen. Feel free to post more cute pictures, just so we can be sure.  I do prefer the edited version someone posted, though.

Photo Thoughts's gear list:Photo Thoughts's gear list
Nikon D800E
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,828
Like?
Re: You applied color space instead of converting.
In reply to Stacey_K, 4 months ago

Stacey_K wrote:

OK I see what you are doing. I downloaded the original and opened in PS. It's tagged as sRGB and looks green and washed out. I "applied" (not converted) the proGB color space and the image looks like the preview/correct. I'm not sure what workflow you are using but you have to CONVERT to a profile, not assign them.

I uploaded the "fixed" file after I assigned proRGB and then -converted- back to sRGB. You will see now the click through original looks fine. (I downsampled it to save upload time).

Nice catch Ed and Stacy. It never would have occurred to me that someone assigned a profile rather than converting.

And honestly, unless you really understand color space (and know why you really need a wider color space for a particular image), you're probably better off capturing and working in sRGB. Wider <> "better". For most images, even when used correctly, the difference is pretty subtle but the problems caused by incorrect color space use is not, as you have found out.

I disagree. Learning the difference between assigning a color space, and converting to a color space is not rocket science. Work in a wide color space; convert to sRGB when going to the web.

I understand color space but I still work in sRGB most of the time as that is what most of my images will end up in anyway. If it's a "special" images, I can always pull a aRGB etc. out of the RAW file to edit for printing on a wide gamut printer.

Working in sRGB can cause you to go out of gamut too easily.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
—Mark Twain

Stacey_K
Like?
Re: You applied color space instead of converting.

Robin Casady wrote:

Stacey_K wrote:

Nice catch Ed and Stacy. It never would have occurred to me that someone assigned a profile rather than converting.

It's just one of many problems working outside of sRGB that can happen.

I disagree. Learning the difference between assigning a color space, and converting to a color space is not rocket science. Work in a wide color space; convert to sRGB when going to the web.

That is over simplifying the problems that can happen working even in aRGB, much less something like proRGB. A big one is VERY few monitors can display outside of sRGB and most can't even cover sRGB, so editing becomes a problem. You can't see what you are doing. You at least have to be checking for -out of monitor gamut- colors often to even have an idea of what is going on that you can't see.

Also, as the color space becomes wider, the chance of posterization increases.

And last, most places you send a file to be printed want sRGB files. Anything viewed or shared online needs to be sRGB. Unless you have had a custom profile made for your own printer, most "canned" profiles don't print far enough outside of sRGB for it to even be visible in the final print.

The only time I work outside sRGB is when I have an image I know has a color "being clipped" by the smaller color space (usually is something really brightly colored like a yellow flower) and I'm going to print on my custom profiled home printer. Then I pull an aRGB file out of the RAW, edit while checking the -out of monitor gamut- colors to make sure then they aren't also too far out for the printer profile gamut to deal with, and then print. Yes, there is a subtle difference in the final print but it isn't earth shattering.

IMHO there are just too many down sides to using a large color space vs the gain you can see in -any- final output for most images. For example, the image the OP posted is no where near the edges of sRGB. In my experience, most of the images I capture aren't either. Most people work in a large color space because of the belief "bigger is better", it really isn't true for most photographic uses.

I know this flies in the face of popular opinion but then again, I like shooting jpegs too *gasp*

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads