Olympus USA repairs - quality service or bunk?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
LarsLeibgott
Regular MemberPosts: 349Gear list
Like?
Olympus USA repairs - quality service or bunk?
5 months ago

Hi all,

Can anyone speak to the quality of repairs service for Olympus cameras in the US? I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a new camera but would like some feedback on this area as it's important to me and my experience with Panasonic has been nothing short of abysmal.

Cheers,
Lars

Sudo Nimh
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?
My experience went well
In reply to LarsLeibgott, 5 months ago

I just sent my E-PM2 to Olympus's repair facility a couple weeks ago, for a hypersensitive rear control dial. They repaired it under warranty within a couple days, and I got it back all cleaned and calibrated.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Adjuster
Contributing MemberPosts: 903Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus USA repairs - quality service or bunk?

I sent a broken lens to Olympus. It was repaired in a very short time under warranty. Twice I sent a broken flash (dropped it while on the camera and the foot broke) and it was repaired at a reasonable price.

Excellent service in my opinion.

Adjuster's gear list:Adjuster's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +1 more
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,214Gear list
Like?

Olympus outsource their repair and the company that does the repairs seems to be good.  I have sent a flash and a lens to them.  The flash was out of warranty but the cost to me was fine.  The lens was under warranty.  Both times it took about three weeks.  The repairs were fine.

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +26 more
James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,817Gear list
Like?
Have things changed since 2011?

LarsLeibgott wrote:

Hi all,

Can anyone speak to the quality of repairs service for Olympus cameras in the US? I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a new camera but would like some feedback on this area as it's important to me and my experience with Panasonic has been nothing short of abysmal.

Cheers,
Lars

To all of you reading this thread: Have things changed since 2011? Olympus USA repair service was absolutely terrible in 2011, and that's being kind. If the comment about Olympus now outsourcing its repairs is true, when did that begin?

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
PatrickNSF
Regular MemberPosts: 257Gear list
Like?
Re: Have things changed since 2011?
In reply to James Pilcher, 5 months ago

Having my first experience with Olympus Repair now. Sent my 14-42 EZ lens in. It was delivered 6/13. They logged it into their system 6/17. It didn't move into "In Repair" status until 7/1 (after I sent them an email complaint from my law firm email address). Now it sits "Out of Repair" but has still not been shipped back to me.

Count me as "dissatisfied."

PatrickNSF's gear list:PatrickNSF's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus E-M1 Sony a77 II Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +7 more
jimbeaux
Regular MemberPosts: 373
Like?
Re: Have things changed since 2011?
In reply to PatrickNSF, 5 months ago

I have a lens sitting in repair there for 3 months now. I am also very dissatisfied.

AG
AG
Regular MemberPosts: 267Gear list
Like?

I had VF-4 developed green-yellow spots after Caribbean vacation (discussed on this forum as result of bright sun getting into eye piece and burning LCD screen).

It took a while (they were waiting spare parts), but my warranty was honored and it was fixed.

So I am positive on that.

Another case, with Olympus Viewer upgrade crashing on my system. On my complain, I have received from Oly long list of steps how to troubleshoot. Was too lazy, so lived with older version till I upgraded my comp from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and problem disappear. So not that bad.

Cheers.

AG's gear list:AG's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nokia Lumia 920 Nokia Lumia 1520
darg
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
In reply to AG, 5 months ago

The US service changed in 2011 the display on my E-P3 after I crashed t. Took roughly three weeks toget it in and out which was ok for me. So I was happy with them.

-- hide signature --

When in doubt, C4

KJ6EPH

darg's gear list:darg's gear list
Canon PowerShot A80 Olympus E-500 Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +9 more
Thomas Kachadurian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,009Gear list
Like?

LarsLeibgott wrote:

Hi all,

Cheers,
Lars

My one Olympus experience was good, and fast. I've never sent anything to Panasonic.

Tom

-- hide signature --

www.kachadurian.com
Call me crazy. I happen to like photos of cats.

DDeMars
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?

I had to send in an OMD E-M1 a few weeks ago. The rear control dial was skipping badly -- unfortunately something that a few other people have experineced.

I am on the west coast and the sole USA Olympus facility is on the east coast. So, I sent it by UPS ground and it took a week to get there. It took two or three days to show up in their online tracking system, then it went in for repair a couple of days later and repair was finished within a day. Then they shipped it back by ground, which took about a week.

So, a week shipping to get there, a week at the Olympus facility, and a week to get back.

The camera appeared to be in good condition and rear control dial now works fine. The invoice said that they also cleaned the sensor and updated the firmware.

Personally, I was pleased with the service I received. If you want, you can search on the "rear control dial" problem in this forum and see some other reports on getting the problem serviced. Apparently not everybody has a good experience; I can only attest to my own experience, and I can't fault them for anything.

adamkaty
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?

I sent my Pen E-P5 in under warranty (barely a month old) and it arrived at the repair facility on 7/2/14 they have just logged it into the system today 7/9/14  as being received. Will let you know how long it takes. The camera was constantly turning itself off for no apparent reason. I have used Panasonic in the past for a TZ/ZS series camera and they took a minimum of 6 weeks for each warranty repair so hoping Olympus beats that.

jimbeaux
Regular MemberPosts: 373
Like?
In reply to adamkaty, 5 months ago

I sent my Pen E-P5 in under warranty (barely a month old) and it arrived at the repair facility on 7/2/14 they have just logged it into the system today 7/9/14  as being received. Will let you know how long it takes. The camera was constantly turning itself off for no apparent reason. I have used Panasonic in the past for a TZ/ZS series camera and they took a minimum of 6 weeks for each warranty repair so hoping Olympus beats that.

Good luck. My 12mm has now entered into its fourth month at the repair facility. Still waiting for parts... again...

LarsLeibgott
Regular MemberPosts: 349Gear list
Like?
In reply to jimbeaux, 5 months ago

jimbeaux wrote:

I sent my Pen E-P5 in under warranty (barely a month old) and it arrived at the repair facility on 7/2/14 they have just logged it into the system today 7/9/14 as being received. Will let you know how long it takes. The camera was constantly turning itself off for no apparent reason. I have used Panasonic in the past for a TZ/ZS series camera and they took a minimum of 6 weeks for each warranty repair so hoping Olympus beats that.

Good luck. My 12mm has now entered into its fourth month at the repair facility. Still waiting for parts... again...

These experiences seem to be disconcertingly common ... I'm having a hard time finding a manufacturer who this cannot be said about though, save for maybe Canon.

I guess you're rolling the dice no matter what.

grey0135
Regular MemberPosts: 214
Like?

I've had mixed experience with Olympus repair in the USA.  In July 2013, I tripped down a flight of stairs and cracked the screen on my E-P5.  The screen was completely wrecked (unusable), however the camera still worked, and I was able to use it thanks to the VF-4.  When I got back from my vacation, I mailed it in for repairs.

It took them several weeks just to acknowledge receipt.  After several more weeks, I called them up, and they explained that they had been unable to repair the camera yet because they were waiting for a part to be shipped in from overseas.  As September drew to a close, I got increasingly anxious, as I had been planning on using my E-P5 on my honeymoon (over the course of the last 2 weeks of October).   The camera never made it back in time.  I ultimately had to purchase a used E-PM2 on craigslist for use on the honeymoon.  I lucked out and got one for $250, but it did not come with the separate flash.

The E-P5 finally arrived in the mail shortly after I got back from the honeymoon (toward the end of October).

Needless to say, I was angry about the whole experience.  In recompense, Olympus never even attempted to charge me for the repair, even though the damage was my fault and probably not covered under the warranty.  This was nice, but I would rather have gotten the camera earlier and paid the money.  The lack of eye sensor was a big nuisance, as was the lack of any sort of fill flash.

-- hide signature --

RV Abbott

Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,820Gear list
Like?

Have used them only once, to repair a non-functioning lens. It sat in limbo for about a month, awaiting parts, but was returned functioning perfectly and under warranty, so no charge other than the shipping to them.

Based on that, I am satisfied with their service. Considering the small mountain of Oly stuff I have, it doesn't seem to break very often.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

adamkaty
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
In reply to jimbeaux, 5 months ago

OK, mine is on the way back so here is a summary of how long it took:

7/2/14 - Camera was delivered to Olympus

7/9/14 - Olympus entered it into their repair system as received and in repair

7/14/14 - Repair status updated to delayed, parts ordered

7/15/14 - Repair complete shipped back with delivery date estimated as 7/22/14

Will also note that this camera was originally purchased off eBay and Olympus did do the repair under warranty using the eBay auction page as purchase receipt.  Was not sure whether they were going to charge me or do it under warranty.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads