ACTION SHOTS

Started 5 months ago | Questions
BEARMYLOVE
Regular MemberPosts: 323Gear list
Like?
ACTION SHOTS
5 months ago

What are the settings and posture I should use when using the D7100 & 18-140mm for action sport? Action sport for me means my dog running towards me or away from me or running and stopping at intervals on a foot ball field.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,257Gear list
Like?
Re: ACTION SHOTS
In reply to BEARMYLOVE, 5 months ago

BEARMYLOVE wrote:

What are the settings and posture I should use when using the D7100 & 18-140mm for action sport? Action sport for me means my dog running towards me or away from me or running and stopping at intervals on a foot ball field.

This is about as broad as it gets.

Variables: Weather conditions, snow, clear, rain (mist)

Lighting conditions - time of day and location of Sun or cloudy day

Filters in use - will reduce exposure. You want to shoot wide open but it is too sunny and you need to stop down. You want the dog and clouds to be well defined with a blue sky etc.

Short version with any camera.

Single shot autofocus to lock onto the subject, stop the lens down as much as possible to increase the chances of a sharp result, use the rapid fire motor drive so when you press the shutter it rattles off shots. At least one should be in focus.

Use of a mono-pod is helpful as well.

Composition as close to eye level with the dog or any subject matter is always a good idea.

Metering mode could be matrix or center weight depending on the lighting.

Their is also a difference if you are stationary shooting or having to move fast, stop, compose and shoot. In this case using Release priority if the camera has it is an option.

*Look up how to shoot football or soccer, the dog could be a player running the field you need to shoot so the same idea applies with the dog.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
curiousmike1300
Regular MemberPosts: 271Gear list
Like?

BEARMYLOVE wrote:

This is what I've dedicated the last 3 months of my photography to, and I still fail.

I upgraded from a D5000 with a kit 55-200 to my current D7100 with a 70-200 F4 which should be much faster.

The fact of the matter is -- it's still really hard to get perfect focus with dogs running right at you. Better success if the dog is running perpendicular to you and you pan.

I use Aperture priority mode, AF-C, spot focusing with matrix metering, shutter speeds > 1/500 (more like 1/1000) and various apertures -- typically a stop or two down from minimum.

You have to watch your shutter speed and not let it drop below... 1/500th?  1/1000th?

Personally, I'd start with just ensuring you're at 1/1000th to help with success.

Also, if your aperture is too small (and the AF-C prediction misses ), you will have a lot of images where the dogs shoulder is in focus but not their head.   I have found that upping my aperture to the 6.3 or 7 or 8 range helps with this regard by having a slightly deeper DOF.  Of course, that typically means upping the ISO.

curiousmike1300's gear list:curiousmike1300's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
BEARMYLOVE
Like?
In reply to curiousmike1300, 5 months ago

Thanks so much. I'll give this a shot.

GerardHaines
Regular MemberPosts: 442Gear list
Like?

Uncropped images of my Britts taken with an 18-140 on a D7000 this past March, excuse the snow fence in the background:

:

GerardHaines's gear list:GerardHaines's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II +1 more
Phathom
Regular MemberPosts: 476Gear list
Like?

I posted about this a little while ago. I link you to a blog that was written for the d300 but has the same AF system as the 7100. It's fantastic advice.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3691096

Phathom's gear list:Phathom's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +1 more
curiousmike1300
Like?
In reply to GerardHaines, 5 months ago

GerardHaines wrote:

Uncropped images of my Britts taken with an 18-140 on a D7000 this past March, excuse the snow fence in the background:

A little crop, a little color correction

Sony Alpha NEX-3N Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
BEARMYLOVE
Like?
In reply to curiousmike1300, 5 months ago

HI,  WHAT DO YOU USE FOR POST PROCESSING?  THANKS, RAB

curiousmike1300
Like?

BEARMYLOVE wrote:

HI, WHAT DO YOU USE FOR POST PROCESSING? THANKS, RAB

I use Lightroom.

Assuming I'm shooting in good light, most of my RAW processing involves adding some contrast, pulling down highlights a bit ( lighter colored dogs I might pull down more ), push up shadows a bit, add some clarity and a smidge of vibrance.    Sharpening is to taste, but I would say 40-50 is typical for me.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads