Are GH4 long-takes always spanned across multiple files?

Started Jul 2, 2014 | Discussions
osv Veteran Member • Posts: 9,970
Re: Are GH4 long-takes always spanned across multiple files?

Sean Nelson wrote:

LingoDingo wrote:

osv wrote:

LingoDingo wrote:

AVCHD folder structure works great as long as you never try to directly access your video files, but use a proper video browser/import utility.

because i've been working with avchd since it was first invented, and i've never had any issues with playing the files directly off of the card, nor was there a problem copying just the video clip to the hdd... no need for any of the associated files on the card.

If you utilize AVCHD files directly you run the risk of having frame and audio drop-outs between file segments

I consider all those extra folders and metadata files associated with every clip to be a waste of space and unnecessary organizational clutter, so I just copy the bare '.MTS' files to my hard drive and then butt them together in Premiere Pro. I've been doing this for a couple of years now and have never had the slightest of issues with it.

x3

fwiw, some consumer-level editors, like the junk that comes packaged with camcorders, wants to see all of the associated files, which is where that rumor that they are always necessary started.

you don't need to import the files to an editor, in order to merge 'em, just run this:

In MacOS or UNIX from Terminal type:

cat "file1" "file2" "file3" > "CombinedFile"

In Windows at a DOS prompt:

copy /b "file1"+"file2"+"file3" "CombinedFile"

-- hide signature --

dan

LingoDingo Senior Member • Posts: 1,452
Re: Are GH4 long-takes always spanned across multiple files?

Sean Nelson wrote:

I consider all those extra folders and metadata files associated with every clip to be a waste of space and unnecessary organizational clutter, so I just copy the bare '.MTS' files to my hard drive and then butt them together in Premiere Pro. I've been doing this for a couple of years now and have never had the slightest of issues with it.

The AVCHD metadata is nice when you plug a memory card into an AVCHD-compliant media player, but for long-term storage of all my raw clips I'm much happier without it.

Panasonic and Sony did not design the AVCHD file format as a "decoration", there is a reason for every item within the format, and there's a reason why most NLE applications have an AVCHD import tool. ( i.e. Sony Vegas Pro, Adobe Premiere, Apple Final Cut, etc... )

It's a fairly common for butted MTS files manually copied from an AVCHD folder to drop frames and have audio gaps between file segments. ( I don't know how many times I've answered queries about this issue over the past 5 years, but it's got to be at least a couple of dozen times )

You don't have to use these AVCHD import tools, but they are there for a reason.

 LingoDingo's gear list:LingoDingo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +23 more
Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 13,173
Re: Are GH4 long-takes always spanned across multiple files?

LingoDingo wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

I consider all those extra folders and metadata files associated with every clip to be a waste of space and unnecessary organizational clutter, so I just copy the bare '.MTS' files to my hard drive and then butt them together in Premiere Pro. I've been doing this for a couple of years now and have never had the slightest of issues with it.

The AVCHD metadata is nice when you plug a memory card into an AVCHD-compliant media player, but for long-term storage of all my raw clips I'm much happier without it.

Panasonic and Sony did not design the AVCHD file format as a "decoration", there is a reason for every item within the format

Yes, and it's to be compatible with consumer playback equipment. That's exactly why it was developed.

It's a fairly common for butted MTS files manually copied from an AVCHD folder to drop frames and have audio gaps between file segments.

I can't speak for others using different cameras or editing software, but I've never seen this problem with my hardware and software and so it simply doesn't concern me.   And if I heard reports about particular cameras or editors that have this problem then it would be a reason for me not to go near them nor recommend them to anyone.

Markr041 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,107
Audio gaps - the cause

LingoDingo wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

I consider all those extra folders and metadata files associated with every clip to be a waste of space and unnecessary organizational clutter, so I just copy the bare '.MTS' files to my hard drive and then butt them together in Premiere Pro. I've been doing this for a couple of years now and have never had the slightest of issues with it.

The AVCHD metadata is nice when you plug a memory card into an AVCHD-compliant media player, but for long-term storage of all my raw clips I'm much happier without it.

Panasonic and Sony did not design the AVCHD file format as a "decoration", there is a reason for every item within the format, and there's a reason why most NLE applications have an AVCHD import tool. ( i.e. Sony Vegas Pro, Adobe Premiere, Apple Final Cut, etc... )

It's a fairly common for butted MTS files manually copied from an AVCHD folder to drop frames and have audio gaps between file segments. ( I don't know how many times I've answered queries about this issue over the past 5 years, but it's got to be at least a couple of dozen times )

You don't have to use these AVCHD import tools, but they are there for a reason.

There are audio gaps between butted clips, but this is due to the fact that the audio from the camera starts a fraction of a section after the video (at least on many cameras and camcorders, including Sony). You can see this in any editor that shows the waveform. It has nothing to do with AVCHD or the codec. It is true for MP4 and even for XAVC S.

 Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS100 Olympus TG-5 +6 more
LingoDingo Senior Member • Posts: 1,452
Re: Audio gaps - the cause

Markr041 wrote:

There are audio gaps between butted clips, but this is due to the fact that the audio from the camera starts a fraction of a section after the video (at least on many cameras and camcorders, including Sony). You can see this in any editor that shows the waveform. It has nothing to do with AVCHD or the codec. It is true for MP4 and even for XAVC S.

If you import your AVCHD file segments using a dedicated NLE import tool there are NEVER any audio gaps. Your video file could be 12 hours long and span 63 x 4 GB file segments, and you will end up with a single 12 hour long 252 GB video with perfect gap-less audio on your hard-dive.

 LingoDingo's gear list:LingoDingo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +23 more
Markr041 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,107
Re: Audio gaps - the cause

LingoDingo wrote:

Markr041 wrote:

There are audio gaps between butted clips, but this is due to the fact that the audio from the camera starts a fraction of a section after the video (at least on many cameras and camcorders, including Sony). You can see this in any editor that shows the waveform. It has nothing to do with AVCHD or the codec. It is true for MP4 and even for XAVC S.

If you import your AVCHD file segments using a dedicated NLE import tool there are NEVER any audio gaps. Your video file could be 12 hours long and span 63 x 4 GB file segments, and you will end up with a single 12 hour long 252 GB video with perfect gap-less audio on your hard-dive.

I am talking about gaps in audio at the start of new clips (takes). And they exist in non AVCHD files (XAVC S, MP4). I am NOT talking about file segments (file segments are not clips) due to 4GB limitations. Just plain old <4GB clips - there is silence at the beginning of each take.

You are perfectly correct that lengthy (>4GB) clips broken up by the camera into 4GB segments should have no gaps, imported correctly. But if you abut any two real (not artificially broken up into segments) clips (takes) you get audio gaps. There is no fix except to trim the clips.

 Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS100 Olympus TG-5 +6 more
magsterTV New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Audio gaps - the cause

I have four Sony high def cameras. All of them create footage that has these audio flat-line gaps at the end of each camera-created clip. I spend much of my editing time trying to cover up these gaps. Local cam stores claim they never heard of this anomaly. Now I read that there is certain downloading software that Sony provides that will prevent this anomaly (approximately every 12 minutes). So no one has told me: what is that software. I am eager to avoid this continuous time-waster!

AJInstitute Regular Member • Posts: 385
Re: Audio gaps - the cause
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads