FZ1000, Infamous Back Wheel Pushing Back?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Proacguy
Regular MemberPosts: 263
Like?
FZ1000, Infamous Back Wheel Pushing Back?
2 months ago

It seems the FZ1000 has the back wheel pushing in operation once again. In view of the horror story I have had with the back wheel pushing in on the FZ200 that broke after 1 year, and with many other users also, are we heading back to the same problem?
Please  tell me that I am wrong!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
morepix
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,065Gear list
Like?
Horror lite?
In reply to Proacguy, 2 months ago

Proacguy wrote:

It seems the FZ1000 has the back wheel pushing in operation once again. In view of the horror story I have had with the back wheel ...

Ugh! But how do you know it's the push-click and not just a nice, smoothly rotating control wheel? If it actually is the old style, what a shame -- even a niggle. Ddon't you think "horror" is a bit strong?

I guess it's a way to get two control wheels for the price of one, but it sure doesn't do it very well. I've been delighted at how easy it is to operate the control wheels on my Olympus Stylus 1 and E-M10. Why doesn't Panasonic learn?

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Proacguy
Regular MemberPosts: 263
Like?
Re: Horror lite?
In reply to morepix, 2 months ago

Qote from the DP Review Hands on:

The FZ1000 supplies a single, clickable rear command dial. In full manual mode, pressing the command dial shifts between shutter and aperture priority. In semi-manual modes, pressing the dial toggles between exposure compensation and aperture, shutter or program shift, depending on your mode. Exposure compensation is not available in manual mode.

Seems a click wheell like on the FZ200.

morepix
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,065Gear list
Like?

Proacguy wrote:

Quote from the DP Review Hands on:

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. Too bad, too bad. One might almost say, taking one's lead from Colonel Kurtz, "The horror, the horror!"

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
JoePhoto
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,020
Like?

I hope the wheel is easier to turn without accidently activating the "button".

I know there are some trick ways to do it on the FZ-200 but I still have problems with it.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for reading .... JoePhoto
( Do You Ever STOP to THINK --- and FORGET to START Again ??? )

Stephen McDonald
Forum ProPosts: 11,942
Like?
Turn and Push Wheel
In reply to JoePhoto, 2 months ago

Sony moved away from the dual-action wheel this year. Now, the push part is done to choose the function, on the arrow-button cluster. You can use either the left/right buttons or the wheel to change the setting. I didn't like it at first, but after awhile, I found it to be quicker and more precise.

-- hide signature --
cainn24
Senior MemberPosts: 1,960
Like?

morepix wrote:

Proacguy wrote:

Quote from the DP Review Hands on:

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. Too bad, too bad. One might almost say, taking one's lead from Colonel Kurtz, "The horror, the horror!"

Look at it though:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#556,349

It's bigger, more robust looking.  Sure, maybe it's just a cosmetic/ergonomic tweak, but it's also possible that they reworked the whole mechanism.

Unfortunately it will probably take longer than the warranty period to find out...

John Miles
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,703Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ1000, Infamous Back Wheel Pushing Back?

The wheel is reported as being much better than that on the FZ200:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpyCJdjYFVg

-- hide signature --

FZ50 is still great though: http://www.juzaphoto.com/recensione.php?l=en&t=panasonic_lumix_fz50 . Performace diagram here: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3862228415/photos/2623982/fz50-performance-range

John Miles's gear list:John Miles's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads