very good fully open some CAs

Started 5 months ago | User reviews
sandglass
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
very good fully open some CAs
5 months ago

The SMC DA* 200 F2.8 comes fully sealed and lightweighted at 850g. It is very handy. the silent focus works at supreme level, it is reliable and quite fast. this is the only option to go for wildlife. mechanical focus systems are normally not usable for wildlife photography except in the ZOO or in commercial Parks. there the animals mostly turn away in a disgusted manner from any two legged individual or are simply bored of humans. In almost real situations only silent focus is doing its job whithout scaring the little beeings off. So SDM is a must have.
The Image Quality:
Above F4.0 the IQ is very good and improves a bit when stepped down to F8.0. In this range the sharpness ist very good all over the frame. the colors are reproduced reliable and authentic.
All apertures slower than F4.0/F3.5 produce a soft image and fully open chromatic abberations are visible even when the image is not zoomed to a 1:1 size. But F2.8 is a valuable option for low light conditions or art shots.

The lens might be a bit pricy. What the customer gets is a high quality fine build handy and good working lens.

1/800s, F5.0 ISO200, Pentax K-50

1/800s, F5.0 ISO100, Pentax K-50

1/500s, F3.5, ISO160, K-50

sandglass's score
Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA* 200mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
asahi man
Contributing MemberPosts: 538
Like?
Re: very good fully open some CAs
In reply to sandglass, 5 months ago

Rote Rathaus?

Best regards

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,968Gear list
Like?
In reply to sandglass, 5 months ago

Pics look great, Sandglass, and it's my understanding the DA* 200 really IS an outstanding lens, as are all FIVE DA* lenses.

In my case, being someone who seems to ALWAYS want "just a little more reach" and who can never afford to get every lens, I opted to spend just a bit more and get the DA* 300. Even though its fastest aperture is F 4, it's still a fantastic lens, and with the high ISOs AND image stabilization available with today's cameras, that extra F-stop is never an issue for me (hasn't been for anyone else I know who has it, either -- and there are LOADS of folks here who have and love that lens -- they're the ones who talked ME into getting it  ).

At any rate, enjoy your 200. Sometimes 200 IS just right. I don't have any 200 lenses, although I have a couple of zooms that go through that focal length. Neither of them is a "fast" lens, nor certainly anywhere near DA* quality, though. But I get by.

Keep on shootin'!

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
sandglass
Like?
In reply to asahi man, 5 months ago

Yepp, the "Rote Rathaus",
the upper tower part.

sandglass
Like?
In reply to JeffAHayes, 5 months ago

JeffAHayes wrote:

Pics look great, Sandglass, and it's my understanding the DA* 200 really IS an outstanding lens, as are all FIVE DA* lenses.

In my case, being someone who seems to ALWAYS want "just a little more reach" and who can never afford to get every lens, I opted to spend just a bit more and get the DA* 300. Even though its fastest aperture is F 4, it's still a fantastic lens, and with the high ISOs AND image stabilization available with today's cameras, that extra F-stop is never an issue for me (hasn't been for anyone else I know who has it, either -- and there are LOADS of folks here who have and love that lens -- they're the ones who talked ME into getting it ).

Thank You.
For a bit more reach and flexibility the DA* 60-250 f/4.0 is a real option. if using longer focal length than aperture below f/4 is mostly pointless. the depth of field gets small as a peace of paper.
If U intend to own a zoom lens ranging through 200mm and if this should be excellent, the Pentax DA* 60-250 might be the very best choice though the prime 200mm is much more handy.
kind regards
Peter

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads