Lightroom 1, Aperture 0 ?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Michael Jardine
Senior MemberPosts: 1,251Gear list
Like?
Lightroom 1, Aperture 0 ?
5 months ago

Note: I'm not sure exactly where to put this, and I realize I'm probably preaching to the choir in this forum. Happy to move this to wherever appropriate. Comments welcome.

=====

A Chinese proverb states "One foot cannot stand on two boats." Apple tried this for some time with Aperture, their professional photography workflow app, and with iPhoto, their simple viewer and editor. In my opinion, they did neither very well. I never understood why you have to bloat your hard drive with duplicates of photos (iPhoto). And Aperture never really was able to compare with Adobe's Lightroom - an amazing app that began as a kind of "let's see what we can do" project conjured by the company's in-house photographers that sat in Adobe's think tank until the day Apple announced Aperture.

Today, Apple announced the end of Aperture, as we know it. Both Aperture and iPhoto will be replaced with one app aimed at the middle ground. This may indeed be an admission of failure but it may just as well represent an astute awareness of the direction that photography has taken in the past several years: technologies that were formerly available only to professionals willing to wield medium format cameras on fixed tripods (scene shift to Ansel Adams in Yosemite) who were willing to spend hours in the darkroom dodging and burning, are now miniaturized into pocketable consumer cameras highlighted by the surge of the new mirror-less camera format. Many of these features can even be found on common smart phones.

This pocketable camera – an Olympus Pen – has a 16 megapixel sensor, can shoot 8 frames per second at up to 1/8000 second, is weather-proof, has 5-axis internal image stabilization, takes over 25 different interchangeable lenses, records professional quality video in stereo, and can stream photos directly to a smart phone. Indeed, it can be operated remotely by an iPhone.

Is Apple Making the Right Decision?

"I'm a bit surprised that this announcement is taking ANYONE by surprise. My surprise is that it took Apple this long to kill Aperture. Making some of Aperture's functionality more accessible (as Photos) will serve more consumers and in the long run, make Apple more money."

- George Jardine

Maybe. In the meantime, the rest of us have Lightroom. And Adobe does not appear to be standing still. They recently launched an iPad version that manages to dumb down an incredibly complex workflow program into a simple photo viewer and editor, while keeping the advanced features that pro's would expect - all synchronized seamlessly from their Lightroom catalogs on their computers, directly to the iPad.

Pretty nifty stuff. I like where this is all headed.*

* But so do others. Currently, over 5 million new photos are posted to the internet each day, more than any individual could view in an entire lifetime. Better hone up on the basics of composition!

-- hide signature --

Michael
www.Qamera.com

Michael Jardine's gear list:Michael Jardine's gear list
Nikon D800 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +10 more
Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,644
Like?
Re: Lightroom 1, Aperture 0 ?
In reply to Michael Jardine, 5 months ago

I can't be alone is wondering how I'd ever store my tens of thousands of images shot/year in the cloud, much less access them in anything approaching real time. What am I missing here?

"with the introduction of the new Photos app and iCloud Photo Library, enabling you to safely store all of your photos in iCloud and access them from anywhere, there will be no new development of Aperture. When Photos for OS X ships next year, users will be able to migrate their existing Aperture libraries to Photos for OS X.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Michael Jardine
Like?
In reply to Skeeterbytes, 5 months ago

Skeeterbytes wrote:

I can't be alone is wondering how I'd ever store my tens of thousands of images shot/year in the cloud, much less access them in anything approaching real time. What am I missing here?

"with the introduction of the new Photos app and iCloud Photo Library, enabling you to safely store all of your photos in iCloud and access them from anywhere, there will be no new development of Aperture. When Photos for OS X ships next year, users will be able to migrate their existing Aperture libraries to Photos for OS X.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

I wonder the same. But the truth is, 5 million photos a day are sent up into the Cloud. They're just not very well organized

-- hide signature --

Michael
www.Qamera.com

Nikon D800 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +10 more
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,451Gear list
Like?

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
grcolts
Senior MemberPosts: 1,954Gear list
Like?

I have never warmed up to LR, so will be using ASP2 and ACDSee Pro 3 Mac.

Between the two programs, I can do basically what I could do with Apple's Aperture.

I am disappointed to see they are not going to continue to support the software though.

GR

grcolts's gear list:grcolts's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon EOS M Pentax K-50
Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 13,027
Like?

Michael Jardine wrote:

A Chinese proverb states "One foot cannot stand on two boats." Apple tried this for some time with Aperture, their professional photography workflow app, and with iPhoto, their simple viewer and editor.

I use LR 5.5 and PSE 9 and am pretty happy with them. I do wish LR was a bit snappier in operation, but it is still quite usable and a big improvement over my workflow a few years ago using PS CS2 and Bridge.

I wonder if your comment above about the Chinese proverb and Apple might also apply a bit to Adobe? LR on one side and then PS/Bridge and PSE/Organizer on the other. Actually, sort of one foot on three boats.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 27,295Gear list
Like?

Very interesting, thanks.

Not too surprised (just taken aback), but it's a shame to see it go. Aperture had so much going for it. . . but I suppose it wasn't cost-efficient to take it much further (which is why it wasn't as competitive as it could have been - even for a Mac-only app).  I seem to recall it wasn't their code in the first place, and so it can tend to go.

I wanted to stick w/Aperture, but it just wasn't keeping up. I use iPhoto as little as necessary (and grudgingly).  But the alternative to come should be interesting. . . maybe it'll be what iPhoto should/could have been all along, finally.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Allan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?

Michael Jardine wrote:

This pocketable camera – an Olympus Pen – has a 16 megapixel sensor, can shoot 8 frames per second at up to 1/8000 second, is weather-proof, has 5-axis internal image stabilization, takes over 25 different interchangeable lenses, records professional quality video in stereo, and can stream photos directly to a smart phone. Indeed, it can be operated remotely by an iPhone.

I'm pretty sure the E-P5 is not weatherproof...

Allan's gear list:Allan's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm XF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Fujifilm X-A1 +4 more
Michael Jardine
Like?
In reply to Henry Richardson, 5 months ago

Henry Richardson wrote:

Michael Jardine wrote:

A Chinese proverb states "One foot cannot stand on two boats." Apple tried this for some time with Aperture, their professional photography workflow app, and with iPhoto, their simple viewer and editor.

I wonder if your comment above about the Chinese proverb and Apple might also apply a bit to Adobe? LR on one side and then PS/Bridge and PSE/Organizer on the other. Actually, sort of one foot on three boats.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Henry, good point.  I had kind of forgotten about PSE.  As for PS, I rarely use that for editing photos; rather I use it for graphics work like creating mockups for my software business. I can do pretty much everything I want on LR except for HDR and Panorama stitching.

-- hide signature --

Michael
www.Qamera.com

Michael Jardine
Like?
In reply to Bob Tullis, 5 months ago

Bob Tullis wrote:

maybe it'll be what iPhoto should/could have been all along, finally.

That was George's point  

-- hide signature --

Michael
www.Qamera.com

Michael Jardine
Like?
In reply to Allan, 5 months ago

Allan wrote:

I'm pretty sure the E-P5 is not weatherproof...

Ooops! I just let it get rained on. Shoot...

-- hide signature --

Michael
www.Qamera.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads