LA-EA4 Adaptor worth keeping?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Tubbycub
Forum MemberPosts: 91Gear list
Like?
LA-EA4 Adaptor worth keeping?
3 months ago

Hi all,

I received the LA-EA4 adaptor through a sony redemption.

I don't own any A mount lenses, Should I just sell it?

Or are there many good full frame A mount lenses that I should look into?

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

RX1, A7 Zeiss 55 Zeiss 35

Tubbycub's gear list:Tubbycub's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
jalywol
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,081Gear list
Like?
Re: LA-EA4 Adaptor worth keeping?
In reply to Tubbycub, 3 months ago

Tubbycub wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks.

If you are on a budget, there are a LOT of Minolta AF lenses that can be had for not a lot of investment, that will give you pretty good coverage of some focal ranges that the current Emount lenses don't have.  I bought a 70-210mm and 75-300mm, and have been having great fun with them both...for very little cost.  I also have the 50mm f1.7, which is a pretty good lens, but if you have the 55mm Sony, it would be redundant....

I expect I will add other A-mount lenses in future if I happen upon some good deals with them.  The adapter works extremely well, and it really opens up lots of options for lens choices that are not available in native FE mount yet.

-J

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,292
Like?
In reply to jalywol, 3 months ago

jalywol wrote:

Tubbycub wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks.

If you are on a budget, there are a LOT of Minolta AF lenses that can be had for not a lot of investment, that will give you pretty good coverage of some focal ranges that the current Emount lenses don't have. I bought a 70-210mm and 75-300mm, and have been having great fun with them both...for very little cost. I also have the 50mm f1.7, which is a pretty good lens, but if you have the 55mm Sony, it would be redundant....

I expect I will add other A-mount lenses in future if I happen upon some good deals with them. The adapter works extremely well, and it really opens up lots of options for lens choices that are not available in native FE mount yet.

-J

I totaly agree with jalywol but want to add that there are a lot of very good A-mount lenses from Sony and Sigma you can use with the adapter, form Wide angle to Tele, and also very nice f2.8 zoom lenses. Lenses not available for the E-mount at the moment.

So in short when you want to use those lenses then you should keep the adapter, when you are happy with the lenses you have and don't need more lenses then you can sell it...

Tubbycub
Like?
In reply to nevercat, 3 months ago

nevercat wrote:

jalywol wrote:

Tubbycub wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks.

If you are on a budget, there are a LOT of Minolta AF lenses that can be had for not a lot of investment, that will give you pretty good coverage of some focal ranges that the current Emount lenses don't have. I bought a 70-210mm and 75-300mm, and have been having great fun with them both...for very little cost. I also have the 50mm f1.7, which is a pretty good lens, but if you have the 55mm Sony, it would be redundant....

I expect I will add other A-mount lenses in future if I happen upon some good deals with them. The adapter works extremely well, and it really opens up lots of options for lens choices that are not available in native FE mount yet.

-J

I totaly agree with jalywol but want to add that there are a lot of very good A-mount lenses from Sony and Sigma you can use with the adapter, form Wide angle to Tele, and also very nice f2.8 zoom lenses. Lenses not available for the E-mount at the moment.

So in short when you want to use those lenses then you should keep the adapter, when you are happy with the lenses you have and don't need more lenses then you can sell it...
Thank you.

Would it be ok to pm you and perhaps get some links to lenses?
I have no idea which are full frame.
--

Tubbycub
Like?
In reply to jalywol, 3 months ago

jalywol wrote:

Tubbycub wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks.

-J

-- hide signature --

I have no idea which are full frame. I thought only sony made a mount. See I have no idea!

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,344Gear list
Like?

Tubbycub wrote:

http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-us/products/lenses/lineup/

That is Sony's global product information page. Note that the list of lenses mentions under each APS-C (DT lenses) or Full Frame. Those are all current lenses.

http://www.dyxum.com/LENSES/INDEX.ASP

Might be good if you want to include earlier stuff.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Tubbycub
Like?
In reply to viking79, 3 months ago

viking79 wrote:

Tubbycub wrote:

That is Sony's global product information page. Note that the list of lenses mentions under each APS-C (DT lenses) or Full Frame. Those are all current lenses.

Eric
Thanks. So the widest I can get is 35mm?
I'm already covered for 35mm. Was hoping for something more like 16.
--

nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,292
Like?

Tubbycub wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Tubbycub wrote:

Eric

When you look here: http://www.sony.net you see Sony do have a 16mm FF lens you have to look under the orange 35mm Full Frame for the focal length of the lens.

-- hide signature --

Tubbycub
Like?
In reply to nevercat, 3 months ago

nevercat wrote:

Tubbycub wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Tubbycub wrote:

Eric

When you look here: http://www.sony.net you see Sony do have a 16mm FF lens you have to look under the orange 35mm Full Frame for the focal length of the lens.

-- hide signature --

I don't get it. Why does it say 35mm full frame?
Sorry I'm new to all this. Is it just to say it's full frame 35mm sensor?
--

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,018Gear list
Like?

jalywol wrote:

Tubbycub wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks.

-J

-- hide signature --

I have no idea which are full frame. I thought only sony made a mount. See I have no idea!

Any A-mount lens that is not identified as DT, is a FF lens, either from Minolta or Sony. The APSc lenses were first offered with digital and are identified as DT.

Among primes, only Sony DT 30/2.8 SAM Macro, Sony DT 35/1.8 SAM and Sony DT 50/1.8 SAM are APSc lenses. Any Sigma "DC" lens is also APSc only (only some zooms qualify). In case of Tamron, Di II is APSc lens designation (only 60mm f/2 macro is an APSc).

All Sigma DG and Tamron Di lenses are FF. If you care for stabilization, your choices will be limited to Sigma OS lenses only (there are a few of those in FF).

From Minolta, I will recommend a look at 35-105/3.5-4.5 (original version, from 1985-87). It is an awesome lens and can function well as a walkaround zoom on FF. You should be able to find one for less than $100 in very good condition (my copy looks like new and cost me $80, shipped).

You can also shop for an ultra wide zoom (17-35 and like). Then there is a 500mm f/8 reflex, which happens to be the only mirror lens that can AF. It was made by Minolta and continued for some time by Sony so you will find them under both brands.

If you would like a 70-200 thru 70-400, you have those choices covered. Also, the new Tamron 150-600.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads