Confirmation of the new D800

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,151Gear list
Like?
Confirmation of the new D800
3 months ago

Just spoke to my camera retailer and asked if I could go on their notification list for me to purchase the rumoured new D800 - whatever the number is. The sales guy told me that he was informed by Nikon Australia that the D800 and D800E were being discontinued and that there was an announcement in the next day or so of the new D800(?) and it will be available mid to late July, for Australia anyway.

I would assume that they would be announced on the same day all over the world and released on the same day all over the world.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ADMint
Contributing MemberPosts: 877Gear list
Like?
Re: Confirmation of the new D800
In reply to Lance B, 3 months ago

Well as of this minute you can still purchase a D800/E so I wouldn't count the discontinued rumor to be fact just yet. And BTW, even though there's a D4S, you can still get the D4 so...

But, I wouldn't be surprised if they do discontinue the 800, especially if the replacement is something along the lines of the D610 replacing the D600.

All speculation at this point though.

-- hide signature --

New to this forum, not to forums!

ADMint's gear list:ADMint's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lance B
Like?
In reply to ADMint, 3 months ago

ADMint wrote:

Well as of this minute you can still purchase a D800/E so I wouldn't count the discontinued rumor to be fact just yet. And BTW, even though there's a D4S, you can still get the D4 so...

But, I wouldn't be surprised if they do discontinue the 800, especially if the replacement is something along the lines of the D610 replacing the D600.

All speculation at this point though.

As I said, "the D800 and D800E were being discontinued", not "have been discontinued".

Well, the fact that he knew about the new D800 and that he was told that they were being discontinued by Nikon seems to me that it would be true. I mean, he has no reason to make it up.

-- hide signature --

New to this forum, not to forums!

Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
BartyLobethal
Contributing MemberPosts: 569Gear list
Like?
Announcement dates

Lance B wrote:

I would assume that they would be announced on the same day all over the world and released on the same day all over the world.

You'd think that new Nikon products would be announced first in Japan. You'd think that with Australia sharing a time zone with Japan, that we would hear about it here before the 'States. But it seems the announcements are never made 'til the sun's up over New York. Guess they don't like to "ruin the surprise" for their largest market.

As for Nikon Australia (a subsidiary of Nikon Asia), they never seem to update their product list until well after any announcement.

What's my point?

None, really.

Yes.

I know.

-- hide signature --

BartyL

BartyLobethal's gear list:BartyLobethal's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +11 more
JacquesC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,393
Like?

Lance B wrote:

Just spoke to my camera retailer and asked if I could go on their notification list for me to purchase the rumoured new D800 - whatever the number is. The sales guy told me that he was informed by Nikon Australia that the D800 and D800E were being discontinued and that there was an announcement in the next day or so of the new D800(?) and it will be available mid to late July, for Australia anyway.

I suspect it will work the same as the D600 being replaced by the D610.

My guess is the D810 will replace both D800 & D800E

-- hide signature --

Jacques
apple-and-eve.com

tommiejeep
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,790
Like?
Re: Mid-July sounds good but...

Nikon India is never that quick .  Hopefully it will be out in India for before I go travelling in November and maybe by then it will have been in the hands of users elsewhere for a few months.

I can see the D800E being discontinued and possibly the D800.  No idea of how many are on the shelf.   New D700's were available here until a six-nine months ago with no big discount in price .

Should have the specs tomorrow .

-- hide signature --

Anticipate the Light and wing it when you get it wrong
Tom
http://taja.smugmug.com/

caspianm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,778Gear list
Like?

Spend the money on some good lenses unless you need 4k and updated focusing. You will loose a lot of money in upgrading the system.

caspianm's gear list:caspianm's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N +7 more
M Lammerse
Forum ProPosts: 10,887
Like?

Hi Lance,

I may say that both the D800 and D800E are not discontinued in Japanese camera stores. I have family in Japanese electronics business and there is absolutely no problem to order one from them.

Michel

Lance B wrote:

Lance B
Like?
In reply to M Lammerse, 3 months ago

M Lammerse wrote:

Hi Lance,

I may say that both the D800 and D800E are not discontinued in Japanese camera stores. I have family in Japanese electronics business and there is absolutely no problem to order one from them.

As I said, "the D800 and D800E were being discontinued", not "have been discontinued". So, the inference is that they will be discontinued soon or when the new D800 is actually in the shops.

Well, the fact that he knew about the new D800 and that he was told that they were being discontinued by Nikon seems to me that it would be true. I mean, he has no reason to make it up.

Michel

Lance B wrote:

Lance B
Like?
In reply to caspianm, 3 months ago

caspianm wrote:

Spend the money on some good lenses unless you need 4k and updated focusing. You will loose a lot of money in upgrading the system.

Well, lets see. I have the following lenses:

16-35 f4G VR

14-24 f2.8G

24-70 f2.8G

70-200 f2.8G VRII

80-400 f4.5-5.6G

24 f1.4G

35 f1.4 Art

85mm f1.4G

105 f2.8G micro

300 f2.8G VRII

500 f4G VR

So, I really don't think I need more lenses.

To "upgrade" to the new D800 it will only cost me about $1,000 once I sell my current D800E.

As for the new D800, I would like the better AF, higher res rear LCD screen for checking photos in detail.

caspianm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,778Gear list
Like?

Yup good point. You are due for a body upgrade then.

caspianm's gear list:caspianm's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N +7 more
ScottRH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,622
Like?

Lance B wrote:

I just hope it fixes all of the quality issues with the D800 and D800E. And is faster.

Art Jacks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,575
Like?

You give an example of how much an upgrade will cost you, have there been indications of how much the new camera will cost ?

Lance B
Like?
In reply to Art Jacks, 3 months ago

Art Jacks wrote:

You give an example of how much an upgrade will cost you, have there been indications of how much the new camera will cost ?

The sales guy said to me about $3,300 mark. This is AU$, but I think it's the same for US$.

Lance B
Like?
In reply to ScottRH, 3 months ago

ScottRH wrote:

Lance B wrote:

I just hope it fixes all of the quality issues with the D800 and D800E. And is faster.

I know some of the earlier D800's had issues, but my late 2012 purchased D800E is perfect, no issues whatsoever.

larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,309
Like?

Lance, I have a notice with my local photo shop to get the first d810 that they get.  I'm number one on the list.

Larry

holgerlinke
Forum MemberPosts: 55Gear list
Like?

Lance B wrote:

caspianm wrote:

Well, lets see. I have the following lenses:

(...)

LOL, this reads like an invitation list to any burglar doing online research. Makes a good checklist. You sure you want to keep this public?

holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +5 more
Tkopa
Forum MemberPosts: 96
Like?

Lance B wrote:

ScottRH wrote:

Lance B wrote:

I know some of the earlier D800's had issues, but my late 2012 purchased D800E is perfect, no issues whatsoever.

Lance,

You can't start a thread about the D800 without someone placing a comment in about the quality issues. It is old, it isn't relevant anymore, and it is annoying, but someone like ScottRH feels a need for some reason to do it.

My D800 bought very early in the release process has been a joy to work with.

polizonte
Contributing MemberPosts: 534Gear list
Like?

A few days ago I was looking at a NYC store website that lists the D800 as available but "discontinued".  I imagine the current $3000/$3300 (US) for new D800/D800e will not go any lower and/or, some dealers will inflate the price as they did when the D700 was discontinued.

-- hide signature --

Es mejor pescar que ser pescado.

polizonte's gear list:polizonte's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +2 more
polizonte
Contributing MemberPosts: 534Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tkopa, 3 months ago

I haven't had any problems with mine.

-- hide signature --

Es mejor pescar que ser pescado.

polizonte's gear list:polizonte's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads