anybody tried both zeiss touit 12mm and samyang 12mm?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
narddogg81
Contributing MemberPosts: 984
Like?
anybody tried both zeiss touit 12mm and samyang 12mm?
4 months ago

Trying to decide if the Zeiss is any better optically. The only side by side ive seen anywhere suggests that the samyang may actually be sharper and better in the corners.  Hard to find good data on this lens.  anybody here used both?

http://petapixel.com/2014/06/04/review-rokinon-12mm-f2-0-great-option-astrophotogs-budget/

manual focus is no big deal this wide, dont care about the name on the lens.

TriniArt2
Regular MemberPosts: 343Gear list
Like?
Re: anybody tried both zeiss touit 12mm and samyang 12mm?
In reply to narddogg81, 4 months ago

Difficult to imagine someone having both lenses (unless they rent one to try).

I have the Rokinon and can't imagine the Zeiss being better at F4, 5.6, F8 because

my copy is excellent at those f-stops. I would expect the Zeiss to have the edge in CA etc, but not sharpness.

As manual focus is not an issue, I'd just get the Samyang/Rokinon...also due to price.

See my posts for some samples.

Hope this helps.

TriniArt2's gear list:TriniArt2's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wb2trf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,444
Like?

Since that review seemed fairly carefully done and comprehensive, it looks like you're just having difficulty believing it.  I own the Rok (only) and don't find it surprising.  It is very sharp, very good IQ and overall a lovely, compact, high quality lens.

I would say it comes down to MF vs price, maybe f stop but less likely that for most people.  While dof is huge at this focal length, that does not equal being able to ignore the need to think about focus.  If I could have it AF for free I would take it, but the MF is not challenging the way it can be for a long lens. The images are great.

Michael Everett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,739
Like?
In reply to wb2trf, 4 months ago

I also have the Rokinon (same as Samyang) and find it a superb lens optically.  It is also very well built.  I like having an f2.0 lens for interiors.  As far as AF I see no need for it at this FL.  It is not a problem focusing manually and once you get to f4 or so you can almost set it and forget it unless you are focusing on something quite close.

It's hard to imagine that the Touit would give any advantage, and I have the Touit 32.

My advice save your money and with the difference buy another lens, or maybe something for your wife, if you are married.  That would do more to help your photography than anything else.

Michael

federra
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
In reply to Michael Everett, 4 months ago

What af provides other than convenience is the exif data recording and easier lens correction in LR if you do any PP.

Michael Everett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,739
Like?
In reply to federra, 4 months ago

federra wrote:

What af provides other than convenience is the exif data recording and easier lens correction in LR if you do any PP.

Good points.  Because of the distinctive look it gives, I know when I have used the lens, but of course it won't record f-stops.  For this lens it's not a big deal for me.  Profile correction is of course another matter.  I guess it depends on how much that is worth to you.

Michael

narddogg81
Contributing MemberPosts: 984
Like?
In reply to wb2trf, 4 months ago

wb2trf wrote:

Since that review seemed fairly carefully done and comprehensive, it looks like you're just having difficulty believing it. I own the Rok (only) and don't find it surprising. It is very sharp, very good IQ and overall a lovely, compact, high quality lens.

I would say it comes down to MF vs price, maybe f stop but less likely that for most people. While dof is huge at this focal length, that does not equal being able to ignore the need to think about focus. If I could have it AF for free I would take it, but the MF is not challenging the way it can be for a long lens. The images are great.

its more a matter of is that a good copy of the samyang and a bad copy of the zeiss or something.  money is not really an issue, im interested in resolution and the best IQ i can get, as i print big landscapes alot, and shitty corners are a distraction on large landscape prints.  lack of sharpness across the frame is not really something you can fix with processing.  Im pretty much convinced i want the samyang regardless now, as it would be a fantastic night photography lens if nothing else.  im also thinking of maybe getting one of those canon ef to emount smart adapters and picking up a canon 10-18 stm .  From what i read, that thing is the tits, optically speaking, despite being a cheap all plastic affair.  i like the idea of the zoom for versatility and the prime for absolute quality and night shots.

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,552Gear list
Like?

narddogg81 wrote:

wb2trf wrote:

Since that review seemed fairly carefully done and comprehensive, it looks like you're just having difficulty believing it. I own the Rok (only) and don't find it surprising. It is very sharp, very good IQ and overall a lovely, compact, high quality lens.

I would say it comes down to MF vs price, maybe f stop but less likely that for most people. While dof is huge at this focal length, that does not equal being able to ignore the need to think about focus. If I could have it AF for free I would take it, but the MF is not challenging the way it can be for a long lens. The images are great.

its more a matter of is that a good copy of the samyang and a bad copy of the zeiss or something. money is not really an issue, im interested in resolution and the best IQ i can get, as i print big landscapes alot, and shitty corners are a distraction on large landscape prints. lack of sharpness across the frame is not really something you can fix with processing. Im pretty much convinced i want the samyang regardless now, as it would be a fantastic night photography lens if nothing else. im also thinking of maybe getting one of those canon ef to emount smart adapters and picking up a canon 10-18 stm . From what i read, that thing is the tits, optically speaking, despite being a cheap all plastic affair. i like the idea of the zoom for versatility and the prime for absolute quality and night shots.

For 12mm the manual focus will be nice for night shots.  Otherwise I like AF (quick and hard to tell if it is actually in focus or not manually unless you zoom way in, but often I am setting on infinity and leaving it, where the MF lens is better).

I haven't used the Rokinon yet, but would like to. The ZEISS is great as well. The ZEISS produces nice star bursts, but is also susceptible to flare for just out of frame light sources. I don't know how the Rokinon does.

Here is my review of the ZEISS on Fuji: http://erphotoreview.com/wordpress/?p=3835

If you can still get the ZEISS 32 and 12mm combined for $920, that deal would tempt me a lot. I imagine the f/2 is really only going to be useful for astro photos, etc. Honestly I shoot most ultra wide lenses at f/7.1 most of the time.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Waardij
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
In reply to viking79, 4 months ago

To me the comparison shown is faulty. if you look at the top examples for the center, there is clear and sharp noise in the shadows. in the example of the Zeiss lens nothing is sharp, also the noise is vague and cloudy. the Samyang results look like sharpened RAW files, the Zeiss results look like poor jpeg. nothing to do with the lens.

MrT-Man
Regular MemberPosts: 385Gear list
Like?
In reply to Waardij, 4 months ago

One thing I haven't seen is a comparison of color/contrast between the Touit and the Samyang. That's often an area where Zeiss lenses stand out, though that may or may not be the case here (relative to the Samyang).

MrT-Man's gear list:MrT-Man's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads