S. Africa Safari Camera Decisions - Sony NEX-6/RX10/RX100

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
vndrsmth
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
S. Africa Safari Camera Decisions - Sony NEX-6/RX10/RX100
5 months ago

Hey all,

I've been running around here doing as much research as possible before asking any questions. The wife and I are going to South Africa next week and we'll be there for 2 weeks. The wife and I are really trying to just enjoy the trip so I don't want to bring a ton of gear but want to have the right tool to take some great photos when we do see some memorable things.

I'd like to take as little gear as possible and wanted to get your opinions.

Trip Highlights:

• Dubai Markets, Dunes, City
  • Cape Town
  • Coastal Drive and Wineries
  • Cape of Good Hope
  • Shark Diving
  • Train Rides
  • Markets
  • Hiking
  • Safari Excursions (3 times daily for one week)

Here's what I have to work with:

• Sony NEX-6
  • Sony NEX-5N (Backup)
  • 8 Batteries and 3 Chargers
  • Carrying Case for both with lens storage
  • Sony RX10
  • Uses same batteries as my NEX
  • Sony RX100
  • Uses same batteries as my Sony Action Cam

NEX Lenses:

• 16mm (Pancake)
  • Fisheye
  • Ultrawide Convertor
  • 16-50mm (motorized standard with NEX-6)
  • 18-55mm (Standard with NEX-5N)
  • 55-210mm
  • 18-200mm

What I'm thinking about bringing:

• RX10
  • RX100
  • Couple of batteries/chargers

The Safari resort and tours we're on apparently get you well within what a 200mm or equivalent can manage from numerous galleries I've seen here and on flickr. E-Mounts don't come any larger and I don't have adequate time to test anything else.

In preparation, I've been testing the limits of my NEX6 with the SEL18200. It doesn't handle well and its really difficult to use well at full zoom. For fast moving objects, such as football players, focus becomes a big issue especially at full zoom. The RX10 delivers a much faster experience with less misses on fast moving objects while making packing much more convenient. My thought is this camera alone could cover the safari while the RX100 would do a lot of the city and landscape work since its pocketable.

Let me know what ya'll would recommend. Thanks for the help!

vndrsmth's gear list:vndrsmth's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
McQuestion
Regular MemberPosts: 397Gear list
Like?
Re: S. Africa Safari Camera Decisions - Sony NEX-6/RX10/RX100
In reply to vndrsmth, 5 months ago

Yep. That sounds like a good plan! RX10+100, you're ready for anything!

McQuestion's gear list:McQuestion's gear list
Pentax Q10 Sony a6000 Pentax 02 Standard Zoom Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Adidas4275
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?
In reply to McQuestion, 5 months ago

the nex-6 plus some of the faster prime lenses or the 55-210mm + 1.7x or 2.0x Tele Converter would get you the ability to fill the frame easier with good IQ. There are some good BIF shots here with the 55-210+TC that are impressive (I just bought the TC to try and get some wildlife shots with)
smaller cameras are nice, I would want to shoot time lapses or star trails and I am unfamiliar with the RX10 or 100's ability to do so... 
I think the e-mounts are really good with their fast prime lenses, which are not really geared for wildlife.... the 16mm with wide angle adapter would be nice for some landscape shots.
I would throw the Nex-6 and 2-3 lenses in the bag if it were me...

Are you bringing a tripod or monopod?

Adidas4275's gear list:Adidas4275's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +6 more
Jabba23
Regular MemberPosts: 293Gear list
Like?

As this is a holiday and not a photo safari then I would just bring the RX cameras and be done with it. You don't want to be changing lenses while out in the field and yes there is dust everywhere in some of these parks. What parks will you be going to by the way? Chobe is a giant dust bowl with water.
Bring a power board or 2 and an adaptor rather than a bag of adaptors and not enough power points.
I'm assuming that you are taking the action can for the shark cage diving?
Is that already booked or will you be booking when you get down there?
I would alternate with your partner while diving and someone get up on the viewing platform on the top of the boat to take phbulk of the shark when then lure it near the cage. I'm hoping you get clear waters for that fantastic experience!
Which of your 3 cameras has the best low light ability with what lens combination? We were super lucky and got photos of a leopard lazing on the ground after sundown but you really want to have that low light ability. My Nex-5n with kit 18-55 was not quite enough on the long end.
You want more than the kit but as I said this is just a holiday for you so you don't want to be tied down with gear so the RX-10 gives you the best reach for the least bulk.
Enjoy!

-- hide signature --

Darren Krusi

Jabba23's gear list:Jabba23's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Google Nexus 4 Google Nexus 7
vndrsmth
Like?
In reply to Adidas4275, 5 months ago

Adidas4275 wrote:

the nex-6 plus some of the faster prime lenses or the 55-210mm + 1.7x or 2.0x Tele Converter would get you the ability to fill the frame easier with good IQ. There are some good BIF shots here with the 55-210+TC that are impressive (I just bought the TC to try and get some wildlife shots with)
smaller cameras are nice, I would want to shoot time lapses or star trails and I am unfamiliar with the RX10 or 100's ability to do so...
I think the e-mounts are really good with their fast prime lenses, which are not really geared for wildlife.... the 16mm with wide angle adapter would be nice for some landscape shots.

I've got a decent enough tripod with a good head on it and a no frills monopod I'll be bringing.

The widefield you mentioned for landscapes/star trails is a really good idea. I leave on Sunday and am going to test pack on Friday to see how much room I've got.

Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6
vndrsmth
Like?
In reply to Jabba23, 5 months ago

Jabba23 wrote:

As this is a holiday and not a photo safari then I would just bring the RX cameras and be done with it. You don't want to be changing lenses while out in the field and yes there is dust everywhere in some of these parks. What parks will you be going to by the way? Chobe is a giant dust bowl with water.
Bring a power board or 2 and an adaptor rather than a bag of adaptors and not enough power points.
I would alternate with your partner while diving and someone get up on the viewing platform on the top of the boat to take phbulk of the shark when then lure it near the cage. I'm hoping you get clear waters for that fantastic experience!
Which of your 3 cameras has the best low light ability with what lens combination? We were super lucky and got photos of a leopard lazing on the ground after sundown but you really want to have that low light ability. My Nex-5n with kit 18-55 was not quite enough on the long end.
You want more than the kit but as I said this is just a holiday for you so you don't want to be tied down with gear so the RX-10 gives you the best reach for the least bulk.
Enjoy!

-- hide signature --

Darren Krusi

What power board do you recommend? I have a 8000mah battery back I can bring but I've also got 8 batteries for the NEX/RX10 and 4 for the RX100. I was thinking about maybe picking up one of those larger 10,000Mah solar battery packs both to keep things charged on the long flights, day trips and safari.

The NEX-6 should be the best low light camera with the larger sensor but I have a feeling that the results against the RX10 should be nearly identical.

Did you use a flash at all? I've been thinking about grabbing the Sony NEX Flash HVLF20M

DimitriDV
Regular MemberPosts: 339
Like?

Is your wife also going to take photos, or only you?

If both of you, perhaps an option could be to give the RX10 to her, and you could use both the RX100 and Nex-6 with 16mm+UWA and 55-210mm (switch gear with her if/when desired).

Like that you would have a very compact all around option with the RX100, a nice all around with longer reach with the RX10, and the two extreme focal lengths with the Nex-6. If you are not interested in night skies or ultra wide angle in general, you can bring the Nex-6 with 55-210mm without ever detaching the lens as a pure telephoto option.

I personally would not be confident in not taking my longest focal length with me, as nobody can assure me that I will be lucky to get that close to the animals; you might be lucky, or you might not be.

If only you take photos, you could leave the RX10 at home.

-- hide signature --

Some photos taken since I bought my Nex-6&A6000 (few with Nex-7): http://www.flickr.com/photos/dimitriv/

Steelergeek69
Regular MemberPosts: 128Gear list
Like?
In reply to Adidas4275, 5 months ago

Adidas4275 wrote:

where can i buy this tele converter for my 55-210? can u post a link please,thanks

Adidas4275
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steelergeek69, 5 months ago

Steelergeek69 wrote:

Adidas4275 wrote:

where can i buy this tele converter for my 55-210? can u post a link please,thanks

Step up ring

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00668IIOU/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TC http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009OAFJ8/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adidas4275's gear list:Adidas4275's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +6 more
kblaw
Contributing MemberPosts: 588Gear list
Like?

I wouldn't discount using the NEX-6 or 5N with the 18-200mm lens. I was there a couple of years ago and used the original 18-200mm lens on a 5N for everything.  The touchscreen focus on my dearly departed 5N came in handy on the safari drives.  I also used a lightweight Sirui travel tripod, but mostly for video.

http://www.mywheatenterrier.com/AfricaTravels.html

When I went to Southeast Asia on my last trip, I took only an A7R with the 35mm FE lens. The image quality was fantastic, but I lost a lot of flexibility.

Terry

kblaw's gear list:kblaw's gear list
Sony RX100 NEX5R NEX5R Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +4 more
AngelusHD
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
In reply to kblaw, 5 months ago

It is why i sold the nex 6 for a a6000, the sel18200 becomes somthing diffrend, it brings new life, it's fast, tracking at 200mm, and the zoom at 200(300apsc) is more then u get with your RX10 At 200(135apsc)

OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,643Gear list
Like?

I have  a similar gear set.  RX10, RX100ii, NEX7+SEL18200.

Forced to pick two out of three...  for me... my initial leaning would be to take RX10 + RX100ii.

The only problem is.... when I go through old photos ... the NEX7+SEL18200 has taken a whole lot of really good photos.   Seriously making me look like a lot better photographer than I really am.    I would have a hard time leaving it at home.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +22 more
Jabba23
Regular MemberPosts: 293Gear list
Like?

vndrsmth wrote:

Jabba23 wrote:

Enjoy!

-- hide signature --

Darren Krusi

What power board do you recommend? I have a 8000mah battery back I can bring but I've also got 8 batteries for the NEX/RX10 and 4 for the RX100. I was thinking about maybe picking up one of those larger 10,000Mah solar battery packs both to keep things charged on the long flights, day trips and safari.

The NEX-6 should be the best low light camera with the larger sensor but I have a feeling that the results against the RX10 should be nearly identical.

Did you use a flash at all? I've been thinking about grabbing the Sony NEX Flash HVLF20M

Powerboard as in what you plug everything into and then plug into the power socket at the wall. Power can be few and far between in Africa and if you are with other people on a tour and such you will be jostling for that power point. Africa was the last place I did such a thing and now I just take a 6 point powerboard and have no issues, the only thing you need to watch out for is some points may not have an earth socket so maybe take a board without an earth socket/pin on it.

My powerbrick isn't very big but it is enough to charge my camera and my phone once, they are definitely something to have with you and a solar powered one would have been great when I was on the Okavango delta as I would have shot with it more rather than trying to preserve batteries.

Looking forward to seeing your shots when you get back regardless of what you decide to take with you.

-- hide signature --

Darren Krusi

Jabba23's gear list:Jabba23's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Google Nexus 4 Google Nexus 7
vndrsmth
Like?

Here's the final lineup:

-RX10

-RX100

-HX400V

-Action Cam

Since it doesn't take up too much more room to carry another super zoom I added the HX400V for some of the longer distance shots on Safari and also to help geotag a lot of the locations.

It also takes the same batteries as the RX100/Action Cam so no real extra weight.

As a side, I've been playing with all three side by side here's some findings:

Best Photos: RX10 hands down

Lowlight: RX10 > HX400V > NEX-6

Biggest Zoom: HX400V (50x or 1600mm equivalent)

Best EVF: RX10 > NEX-6 > HX400V

The lowlight comparisons really blew me away. Even though the NEX-6 has 99 AF points I simply cannot get it to focus at full zoom in lowlight. I've been testing this with my dogs in my backyard at dusk and the RX10/HX400 combo is winning. From off to on I can snap a close up of them at 25 yards in about 2 seconds. With the NEX-6 (18-200 or 55-210) it takes about 4 seconds just to focus and gets blurry regardless of shooting mode.

We're departing for Dubai on Sunday, 12 days in S. Africa then I'll post back here when I return on the 15th.

Talk to ya'll again in a few weeks

vndrsmth
Like?
In reply to vndrsmth, 4 months ago

Just walked in the door and caught the last half of the WC Final

14 days and about 5000 photos, 2 hours of video later - 3x full 32GB cards and 2x 1/2 full

I've got about 300 I've tagged as keepers but we'll need a few days to go through them.

RX10 - I used this exclusively and was shocked and the quality we got. This is THE setup to have for no frills, great shots. The only reason my shots are numbering in the thousands is from continuous shooting trying to catch fast moving animals. Video capture is phenomenal and it got a lot of use. I filled up 3x 32GB cards.

HX400 - My wife used this exclusively and occasionally I'd grab it from here for some close ups that the RX10 couldn't grab even with the digital zoom on. The photos this camera snapped at distance was really surprising. She was able to get birds close up at over 200 yards in a single frame. Elephant eyes within 100 yards. Monkeys with great fur detail at around 500 yards. It was really, really surprising. The long distance video on this is really good quality.

RX100 - This was used as planned just around the city and is still the best pocket camera available. The shots this thing takes are great and it was really easy to hand off to locals or other tourists. Get yourself a "selfie stick" on amazon for about $7 and you can snap a lot of those quick photos yourself

Power - I used a universal Euro/Africa AC adapter and simply brought my own standard $10 surge protector with 8 outlets.

Laptop - I didn't want to bring my Macbook Air so I picked up a $200 Asus C720P Chromebook that worked fantastically.

Cell - I brought an old android backup phone and bought a Cell-C sim card - 600mb of data for $25.

I'll comment more with stats and examples after I am able to transfer them all to my server and start filtering through them a bit more over the next few days.

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,418Gear list
Like?

vndrsmth wrote:

• Dubai Markets, Dunes, City
  • Cape Town
  • Coastal Drive and Wineries
  • Cape of Good Hope
  • Shark Diving
  • Train Rides
  • Markets
  • Hiking
  • Safari Excursions (3 times daily for one week)

I have lived in South Africa for a few months in 2011 and 2012. I visited most of what you note above while staying near Cape Town in Stellenbosch. I took a point and shoot the first time and it worked just swell because I wasn't yet into photography. In later 2011 I bought a 5N and got more serious about photography. By my 2012 visit, I had purchased the Zeiss 24. I did not do the safari stuff in 2012, but I did many of the other items on your list and I never felt the need to use another lens beyond the 24. That's me, though. If I had the 55-210, I would have used it and it would have been fine in the Addo Elephant park for the safari stuff (just not the night safaris). But I also realized that the photos I enjoyed the least were the safari photos since any shot I captured seemed to be better on cheap postcards in the gift shop, but again that's just me.

With your line up, I'd probably take the NEX 6 and 16-50 and 55-210 along with the RX100 for going really small. I'd use the 55-210 for the day safari stuff and probably never pull it out again (though, I wouldn't personally take it at all because the animals I shot with the point and shoot all got pretty close anyway - see below).

EDIT: And now I see I am 2 weeks too late. Ah well.

-- hide signature --
 sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
vndrsmth
Like?
RX10 v HX400 Examples from Trip

I know its buried up there but I ended up bringing three cameras and NOT bringing the NEX system:

RX10

HX400V

RX100

The simple reason being that the RX10 cancels out any reason to bring the NEX6 and all of my lenses. I get to pack lighter and still capture the same and possibly better shots in one camera. The HX400V comes with for the wife to use and she ended up taking some amazing photos.

Full Album - South Africa

CArcher
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Re: RX10 v HX400 Examples from Trip

These are fantastic images!

Please tell more about how the RX10 handled with some of the various shots. I am headed to Tanzania in January. I have already purchased the RX10 for the trip, and I am beginning to have second thoughts as to whether or not this is the right camera for the trip.

I originally went with this camera because we are only allowed to pack 33lbs for the trip due to small bush plane trips to go from camp to camp. I thought that this one camera would be the best solution to avoid weighty lenses and accessories.

Thanks for any additional insight!

vndrsmth
Like?
Side by Side Examples - RX10 vs HX400V - Unedited

Here are some side by side examples of animals we saw on our safari over the past two weeks. Since we had to capture each moment simultaneously, these are really good comparisons. My wife was shooting with the HX400 while I was using the RX10. Both were set to identical settings and shot in either Auto or scene selection.

*Note: These are all unedited. I haven't cropped or retouched any of these.

**Many of the below shots are also at full zoom between the two cameras providing an idea of just how much extra zoom you get with the HX400 and how much more clarity you get with the RX10 glass.

Full Safari Snapshot Album

RX10

HX400

RX10

HX400

RX10

HX400

RX10

HX400

RX10

HX400

RX10

HX400

RX10

HX400

RX10

HX400

vndrsmth
Like?
Favorite Shots from the Trip

1. Caracal

2. Moonshine - 10 second exposure

3. Angry Hippos

4. Jackass Penguin

5. Warthog

6. Tusks

7. Derp Giraffe

8. Cheetah

9. Starling

10. Urban Monkey

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads