Finding and 18200 lens for my A7 Alpha

Started 2 months ago | Questions
William Crockett
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Finding and 18200 lens for my A7 Alpha
2 months ago

Hi because the A7 is a full frame camera,  I have been told my previous  Sony 18200 SEL(not being a full frame lens) will limit/crop the photos on the A7. Can I make an adjustment on the A7 to avoid that or can one suggest another compatible 18-200 lens that will work along with a proper adapter. Sony has the 70-200 full frame lens but that limits my closeups...sorry not into changing lenses all the time.

I have to buy a new 18-200 anyways so I am open to a new purchase. I can purchase the same lens again if I can get a confirmation that it will work with this camera.

Thanx

Regards,

William

ANSWER:
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dave
Regular MemberPosts: 298Gear list
Like?
Re: Finding and 18200 lens for my A7 Alpha
In reply to William Crockett, 2 months ago

Although the lens is designed for asp-c with a small image circle, zoom lenses will cover the ff sensor at some point as you zoom towards the long end. The image circle expands creating a larger image on the sensor, loke a tele-converter. My Pentax DA 16-45 zoom covers the FF at 20-45mm. The Sony 10-18 zoom covers FF from 11-18mm. See you may just get lucky. You need the fancy adapter for EF lenses because they don't have an aperture ring. You can also force the A7 to FF with a crop lens. In the menu under the gear, select # 5, item 2. On off or auto. Aps-c capture size.

-- hide signature --

Sony A7 Pentax K5ii Canon 5D

dave's gear list:dave's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Pentax K-5 II Sony Alpha 7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
darkdirtydwarf
Contributing MemberPosts: 522Gear list
Like?
In reply to dave, 2 months ago

dave wrote:

Although the lens is designed for asp-c with a small image circle, zoom lenses will cover the ff sensor at some point as you zoom towards the long end.

I have the A7 and the SEL18200. Forget using it in FF mode.

First of all the lens NEVER covers the full frame (you get a heavy rectangular vignetting on the long end, I assume that's the plastic circuit cover the lens sports on the rear element).

Second, if you check the image at the borders, the details get quickly mushy outside the APS-C crop area. In crop mode though works well, if 10MP is enough for what you're doing and it's very comfortable to use if compare to let's say a NEX5N (my other body).

See here almost at the end of the page:

http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Ffarm4.staticflickr.com%2F3774%2F11805849263_d2ac5924fb_b.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.systemkamera-forum.de%2Ftopic%2F102726-sony-sel-18200-sony-a7%2F&h=683&w=1024&tbnid=pbY-WmwnNcbDDM%3A&zoom=1&docid=EAOYGOGzZnsO0M&ei=e8yqU47cBciB4gTstICYAQ&tbm=isch&client=firefox-a&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=552&page=1&start=0&ndsp=39&ved=0CEMQrQMwCw

My cheap FF alternative for now it's a Minolta 28-134 F4. Good enough for a zoom, although a bit slow and without stabilization. 28mm is wide enough (on APS-C you get this field of view with an 18-19 mm lens).

darkdirtydwarf's gear list:darkdirtydwarf's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
ksarkar77
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
In reply to darkdirtydwarf, 2 months ago

darkdirtydwarf wrote:

dave wrote:

Although the lens is designed for asp-c with a small image circle, zoom lenses will cover the ff sensor at some point as you zoom towards the long end.

First of all the lens NEVER covers the full frame (you get a heavy rectangular vignetting on the long end, I assume that's the plastic circuit cover the lens sports on the rear element).

Second, if you check the image at the borders, the details get quickly mushy outside the APS-C crop area. In crop mode though works well, if 10MP is enough for what you're doing and it's very comfortable to use if compare to let's say a NEX5N (my other body).

http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Ffarm4.staticflickr.com%2F3774%2F11805849263_d2ac5924fb_b.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.systemkamera-forum.de%2Ftopic%2F102726-sony-sel-18200-sony-a7%2F&h=683&w=1024&tbnid=pbY-WmwnNcbDDM%3A&zoom=1&docid=EAOYGOGzZnsO0M&ei=e8yqU47cBciB4gTstICYAQ&tbm=isch&client=firefox-a&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=552&page=1&start=0&ndsp=39&ved=0CEMQrQMwCw

My cheap FF alternative for now it's a Minolta 28-134 F4. Good enough for a zoom, although a bit slow and without stabilization. 28mm is wide enough (on APS-C you get this field of view with an 18-19 mm lens).

Does SEL18200 OSS work on A7 ?

Thanks

dave
Regular MemberPosts: 298Gear list
Like?
In reply to ksarkar77, 2 months ago

ksarkar77 wrote:

darkdirtydwarf wrote:

dave wrote:

Thanks

Apparently this one only works in crop mode. It is a 11 to 1 zoom ratio which probably accounts for the small image circle. Someone has surely tested all of the e-mount zooms. Maybe the short ratio 10-18 is the only one that works on FF.

-- hide signature --

dave's gear list:dave's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Pentax K-5 II Sony Alpha 7
ksarkar77
Like?

dave wrote:

ksarkar77 wrote:

darkdirtydwarf wrote:

dave wrote:

Thanks

Apparently this one only works in crop mode. It is a 11 to 1 zoom ratio which probably accounts for the small image circle. Someone has surely tested all of the e-mount zooms. Maybe the short ratio 10-18 is the only one that works on FF.

-- hide signature --

Hi,

I am sorry, perhaps I was not very clear on my question. What I was asking is that whether OSS feature of SEL18200 lens works on Sony A7. I read somewhere that it does not work, just wanted to confirm.

Thanks

darkdirtydwarf
Like?

ksarkar77 wrote:

Hi,

I am sorry, perhaps I was not very clear on my question. What I was asking is that whether OSS feature of SEL18200 lens works on Sony A7. I read somewhere that it does not work, just wanted to confirm.

Thanks

If you mean the original grey SEL18200, yes, it works (tested personally) as well as on NEX cameras.

Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
ksarkar77
Like?

darkdirtydwarf wrote:

ksarkar77 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

If you mean the original grey SEL18200, yes, it works (tested personally) as well as on NEX cameras.

Hi,

You meant the original silver one, right? I can only recall that there are two versions. Original Silver one and then a black version came out later.

Thanks

joe6pack
Contributing MemberPosts: 999Gear list
Like?

Correct me if I am wrong. When mounting APS-C E-mount lens on A7, the OSS does not work.

joe6pack's gear list:joe6pack's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Corel Aftershot Pro IrfanView
ksarkar77
Like?
In reply to joe6pack, 2 months ago

joe6pack wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong. When mounting APS-C E-mount lens on A7, the OSS does not work.

That was my understanding also. But I was happy to learn that Original SEL18200 works.

Thanks

Zeisschen
Regular MemberPosts: 104Gear list
Like?
Same as on NEX

Basically your lens will just work the same as on your NEX. Set the A7 to auto APS-C crop mode (default) and it will just crop the outer pixels of the sensor. The result will be a 10 MP picture that will look the same as on the NEX. 10 MP is also enough for this lens, I don't think it would benefit much from higher resolutions.

Zeisschen's gear list:Zeisschen's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +4 more
darkdirtydwarf
Like?

ksarkar77 wrote:

darkdirtydwarf wrote:

ksarkar77 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

Hi,

You meant the original silver one, right? I can only recall that there are two versions. Original Silver one and then a black version came out later.

Thanks

Yes, the silver one, sorry for the confusion, I was in a hurry and wrote grey

darkdirtydwarf
Like?

ksarkar77 wrote:

joe6pack wrote:

That was my understanding also. But I was happy to learn that Original SEL18200 works.

Yes, it works just like on a NEX camera, but the handling improves radically. I love this lens on the A7 (pity that the A7 mount is so "shaky").

darkdirtydwarf
Like?
Re: Same as on NEX
In reply to Zeisschen, 2 months ago

Zeisschen wrote:

Basically your lens will just work the same as on your NEX. Set the A7 to auto APS-C crop mode (default) and it will just crop the outer pixels of the sensor. The result will be a 10 MP picture that will look the same as on the NEX. 10 MP is also enough for this lens, I don't think it would benefit much from higher resolutions.

According to my tests it does a little. But if you want ultimate quality, you shouldn't use a zoom anyway... I think it's a good compromise if you don't want to bring a second body along (though my NEX5N is a small enough lens cap far this lens ;))

William Crockett
Like?

Hi William again...So apparently yes the SEL18200 will certainly 'work' on the A7 but will restrict the full frame features in the A7. Is there a 18-200 full frame lens out there with the adapter that can do the job without the turtle focus effect? I want to use just the 'one lens' due to dusty shooting conditions in India...can't wait for the end of 2015 for the complete range to come out.:-)

William Crockett
Like?

dave wrote:

Although the lens is designed for asp-c with a small image circle, zoom lenses will cover the ff sensor at some point as you zoom towards the long end. The image circle expands creating a larger image on the sensor, loke a tele-converter. My Pentax DA 16-45 zoom covers the FF at 20-45mm. The Sony 10-18 zoom covers FF from 11-18mm. See you may just get lucky. You need the fancy adapter for EF lenses because they don't have an aperture ring. You can also force the A7 to FF with a crop lens. In the menu under the gear, select # 5, item 2. On off or auto. Aps-c capture size.

-- hide signature --

Thank you for your in depth answer. Can you recommend and 18200 full frame lens that can work on an EF adapter? The Sony range won't hit the market till end of 2015.

Thanx William

William Crockett
Like?
In reply to Zeisschen, 2 months ago

Zeisschen wrote:

Thank you..Yeh I am just trying to get a lens that will not crop the picture pixels. Also what percentage of the picture will be cropped? The fact that I spent so much for this camera to get the same effect that I could get with the cheaper a6000 would be a waste...

regards

William

William Crockett
Like?

darkdirtydwarf wrote:

Zeisschen wrote:

According to my tests it does a little. But if you want ultimate quality, you shouldn't use a zoom anyway... I think it's a good compromise if you don't want to bring a second body along (though my NEX5N is a small enough lens cap far this lens ;))

What would you say the difference would be between as you say the lower quality 18-200 zoom lens  and the latex sony 70-200? For my shooting the latter would mean a second body. If the quality is really undermined then I guess i have to bite the bullet and carry two lenses. Sorry about the geek factor scenario.

regards,

William

darkdirtydwarf
Like?

William Crockett wrote:

darkdirtydwarf wrote:

Zeisschen wrote:

What would you say the difference would be between as you say the lower quality 18-200 zoom lens and the latex sony 70-200? For my shooting the latter would mean a second body. If the quality is really undermined then I guess i have to bite the bullet and carry two lenses. Sorry about the geek factor scenario.

regards,

William

The 70-200 is probably better than the 18-200 in this range. The 18-200 has a wider focal range and therefore can't be as good as a zoom that has a shorter focal range (in theory).

I don't have the 70-200 to do any test though.

Zeisschen
Regular MemberPosts: 104Gear list
Like?
In reply to William Crockett, 1 month ago

William Crockett wrote:

What would you say the difference would be between as you say the lower quality 18-200 zoom lens and the latex sony 70-200? For my shooting the latter would mean a second body. If the quality is really undermined then I guess i have to bite the bullet and carry two lenses. Sorry about the geek factor scenario.

regards,

William

I compared my E18-200 Tamron to my FE 70-200 on the A7r. The 70-200 is much sharper over the whole range. It also has better contrast and much less CA.

Of course it's unfair to compare these two lenses, but at 70-200 the FE lens wins by a big margin.

Zeisschen's gear list:Zeisschen's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads