True that DPP4 does not work with 5DII files?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
maiaibing
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,538Gear list
Like?
True that DPP4 does not work with 5DII files?
6 months ago

Cannot check this myself these weeks. Would be surprised if DPP does not support 5DII which is not that old yet.

maiaibing's gear list:maiaibing's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +7 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Robert Sheldon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,070
Like?
Re: True that DPP4 does not work with 5DII files?
In reply to maiaibing, 6 months ago

maiaibing wrote:

Cannot check this myself these weeks. Would be surprised if DPP does not support 5DII which is not that old yet.

As per the DPP4 instruction manual it does not work with the 5Dii.

-- hide signature --

Bob Sheldon
Photo Gallery at
www.bobsheldon.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hotdog321
Forum ProPosts: 10,763
Like?
In reply to Robert Sheldon, 6 months ago

Robert Sheldon wrote:

maiaibing wrote:

As per the DPP4 instruction manual it does not work with the 5Dii.

-- hide signature --

Bob Sheldon
Photo Gallery at
www.bobsheldon.com

That's pretty weird. That is still a VERY popular camera--I just sold mine recently.

Tim Devine
Contributing MemberPosts: 917Gear list
Like?

Not at the moment, but I read that they are going to add more camera support over time.

maiaibing wrote:

Tim Devine's gear list:Tim Devine's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sigma DP1 Merrill +13 more
Joe Mayer
Regular MemberPosts: 118Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tim Devine, 6 months ago

Tim Devine wrote:

Not at the moment, but I read that they are going to add more camera support over time.

maiaibing wrote:

Cannot check this myself these weeks. Would be surprised if DPP does not support 5DII which is not that old yet

I know I'm not the only person who thinks this is weird. But yes, I think it is very weird. I would expect most people using the currently supported cameras (EOS-1D C, EOS-1D X, EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 6D) already use LR or PS or DXo and so forth to process Raw files.  So why would anyone need to use DPP?  I've used it experimentally years ago and quickly dismissed it.  I have heard over those years of others saying that they like it simply because it renders the raws better than acr.  I dunno.  I still can't see myself slogging through DPP and then exporting to PS for further tweaks.  Personally, I think Canon should have made DPP compatible with "lower" cameras (not calling them lesser but you know what I mean) in order to encourage raw shooters and those just getting SLRs to want to experiment and maybe even buy more expensive cameras.  Or, more likely, I'm just way off on this.  It's still weird in any case.

Joe Mayer's gear list:Joe Mayer's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +1 more
Daniel
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?

Try modifying the EXIF in the RAW to 5DIII.  Maybe that'll work?

Adam2
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,756
Like?
In reply to Joe Mayer, 6 months ago

Joe Mayer wrote:

Tim Devine wrote:

maiaibing wrote:

Cannot check this myself these weeks. Would be surprised if DPP does not support 5DII which is not that old yet

I know I'm not the only person who thinks this is weird. But yes, I think it is very weird. I would expect most people using the currently supported cameras (EOS-1D C, EOS-1D X, EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 6D) already use LR or PS or DXo and so forth to process Raw files. So why would anyone need to use DPP? I've used it experimentally years ago and quickly dismissed it. I have heard over those years of others saying that they like it simply because it renders the raws better than acr. I dunno. I still can't see myself slogging through DPP and then exporting to PS for further tweaks. Personally, I think Canon should have made DPP compatible with "lower" cameras (not calling them lesser but you know what I mean) in order to encourage raw shooters and those just getting SLRs to want to experiment and maybe even buy more expensive cameras. Or, more likely, I'm just way off on this. It's still weird in any case.

Personally, I don't understand why Canon doesn't make this software compatible with ALL of its cameras.  Quite frankly one of the advantages of RAW is that as software developments emerge it may be even more useful to apply those advances to older files.  Just sayin'.

AOKH
Senior MemberPosts: 2,602Gear list
Like?
In reply to Daniel, 6 months ago

Daniel wrote:

Try modifying the EXIF in the RAW to 5DIII. Maybe that'll work?

How do you do that?

-- hide signature --

Regards. Anders

AOKH's gear list:AOKH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +14 more
RS_RS
Senior MemberPosts: 1,539
Like?

maiaibing wrote:

DPP 4 currently supports 1DX, 1DC, 5DIII, 6D. New version(s) of DPP 3 are promised for other bodies.

This statement from Canon establishes the position for the short term. But it leaves open a number of medium- to long-term questions.

1. As new bodies are introduced, for example the anticipated 7D Mark II, will they be added to DPP 4.0, or to DPP 3.X, or a mixture of the two depending on level and format of the bodies?

2. Which current bodies not supported by DPP 4, and which older bodies, will be migrated to it, if any?

3. Are some .CR2 files at risk of being orphaned?

The last of these is the real worry. So far Canon have been good at providing support for CR2 files (and converted CRW files) from way beck including those from non-EOS bodies like the Pro-1 and the G9. But EOS Utility support is a different matter. With the change from 2.4 to 2.5 support for numerous older EOS bodies, including 1D-series, was dropped, and if you still need to connect one to a PC then you have to find a PC running Windows XP on which to install 2.4, and you may also need a FireWire port. This is not an encouraging precedent.

maiaibing
Like?
In reply to Joe Mayer, 6 months ago

Joe Mayer wrote:

I would expect most people using the currently supported cameras (EOS-1D C, EOS-1D X, EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 6D) already use LR or PS or DXo and so forth to process Raw files. So why would anyone need to use DPP?

Well, I use it when traveling on platforms that do not allow me to use LR etc. due to space/processing constraints.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +7 more
maiaibing
Like?
In reply to Adam2, 6 months ago

Adam2 wrote:

Joe Mayer wrote:

I would expect most people using the currently supported cameras (EOS-1D C, EOS-1D X, EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 6D) already use LR or PS or DXo and so forth to process Raw files. So why would anyone need to use DPP?

Personally, I don't understand why Canon doesn't make this software compatible with ALL of its cameras. Quite frankly one of the advantages of RAW is that as software developments emerge it may be even more useful to apply those advances to older files. Just sayin'.

I also use an older version of PS - which does not support newer RAW files - so can also be used for updated RAW processing if LR is not at hand.

maiaibing
Like?
In reply to RS_RS, 6 months ago

RS_RS wrote:

3. Are some .CR2 files at risk of being orphaned?

The last of these is the real worry. So far Canon have been good at providing support for CR2 files (and converted CRW files) from way beck including those from non-EOS bodies like the Pro-1 and the G9. But EOS Utility support is a different matter. With the change from 2.4 to 2.5 support for numerous older EOS bodies, including 1D-series, was dropped, and if you still need to connect one to a PC then you have to find a PC running Windows XP on which to install 2.4, and you may also need a FireWire port. This is not an encouraging precedent.

Digital redundancy is a really scary proposition. JPRG and TIFF are probably the two only ones you can really trust to hang around "forever" especially JPEG because of the net.

Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,546Gear list
Like?
Ramifications

maiaibing wrote:

Random thoughts

1.) Will Canon maintain a "CS6-type" Terminal Version 3 for download for those with older cameras in case they lose their disc?

2.) If you are buying used, make sure you get the disc that came with it. It's been my experience that downloads of DPP search during installation for the original version that came with the camera and if that is not found, it won't install.

2a.) A used camera marker is essential to moving new cameras but where does the support begin/end in this grey area?

3.) It's not smart marketing to support older products into perpetuity. There is virtually no support/repair for most electronics past their shelf life/warranty period all of which are intentionally short even if the product is generally designed to last for longer periods of time like big flat screen TVs. Usually, in electronics, a model number is retired after 6 months or so thereby rendering the model you JUST bought as "discontinued". The item with the new model number is virtually the same item as the older item - maybe they changed a part such as a different size screw somewhere on the chassis in order to "change" the physical attributes enough to be able to call it an improved version and justify the "discontinued" status of the previous model. If there is support, the repair usually costs as much or more than buying a new unit. One would think that electronics marketed to professionals would have longer periods of support but...

4.) It's not smart marketing to support older software into perpetuity either....

5.) It is smart to support customers but good support comes with a price and buyers of 35mm format cameras probably have proved to Canon over time that price is more important than support.

5.) For those of us who upgrade often, software or gear, we shoulder more of the cost of these products in terms of company profit but also in R&D.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, shooting for pleasure. It is better to have It and not need It than need It and not have It. Various RAW comparisons at Link below. Includes 5D3 vs D800E (new uploads), 5D3 vs. 6D, Zeiss lenses etc. https://app.box.com/s/71w40ita6hrcfghojaie

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,274
Like?
What an opened can of the proverbial invertebrate animal.

They clearly stated that this is a "first phase launch" and that the earlier cameras will be incorporated in future versions.

However, being the Internet what it is, confusion will issue (it already started) and all hell has a definite chance of breaking loose ("Canon stops supporting older versions of CR2 files!")

That they will be taking calls, emails and general online rants because of a product that so few use anyway is just one of those ironies so sadly common in current days.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)

maiaibing
Like?
Re: What an opened can of the proverbial invertebrate animal.
In reply to PhotoKhan, 6 months ago

PhotoKhan wrote:

However, being the Internet what it is, confusion will issue (it already started) and all hell has a definite chance of breaking loose ("Canon stops supporting older versions of CR2 files!")

That they will be taking calls, emails and general online rants because of a product that so few use anyway is just one of those ironies so sadly common in current days.

Seems to me that what is sad that Canon just clarifying this to customers in a clear way could have made lots of people's life easier. Have to say I believe that "adding" is restricted to new models but I hope I am wrong. Fact is neither you nor I actually know or have any way of knowing - but that Canon knows and they are not telling.

PhotoKhan
Like?

maiaibing wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

Seems to me that what is sad that Canon just clarifying this to customers in a clear way could have made lots of people's life easier. Have to say I believe that "adding" is restricted to new models but I hope I am wrong. Fact is neither you nor I actually know or have any way of knowing - but that Canon knows and they are not telling.

But they are:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/news/digital_photo_professional_4_0_launched.do

The first paragraph in "Camera compatibility and OS support" starts with "At launch".

I do agree they should be more explicit from the get go, if for nothing else, to avoid the flak they'll be calling upon themselves.

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

maiaibing
Like?

PhotoKhan wrote:

Have to say I believe that "adding" is restricted to new models but I hope I am wrong. Fact is neither you nor I actually know or have any way of knowing - but that Canon knows and they are not telling.

But they are:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/news/digital_photo_professional_4_0_launched.do

The first paragraph in "Camera compatibility and OS support" starts with "At launch".

I do not agree. "At launch" is exactly what leaves mine - and others - question open; does this mean a camera such as 5DII will be added or not? There is no way of telling. The implication seems they will not add anything but newer models - but why not just write that?

Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 12,103Gear list
Like?
DPP History

maiaibing wrote:

I do not agree. "At launch" is exactly what leaves mine - and others - question open; does this mean a camera such as 5DII will be added or not? There is no way of telling. The implication seems they will not add anything but newer models - but why not just write that?

When DPP 1.0 was launched in 2004, it only supported the 1D cameras (1D, 1Ds, 1DII)

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2004/5/20/canondpp

DPP 1.1 added the 20D and then DPP 1.5 added older cameras.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Erik Magnuson's gear list:Erik Magnuson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Sigma SD10 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D3200 +28 more
buellom
Regular MemberPosts: 493Gear list
Like?

Canon also stated:

"At launch, DPP 4.0 is compatible with Canon’s current range of full-frame DSLRs, including the EOS-1D X, EOS-1D C, EOS 5D Mark III and EOS 6D. For other models, an update of DPP 3.14 will be released."

See: http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/news/digital_photo_professional_4_0_launched.do

This pretty much looks like that we will have two versions. And my guess is that the 3.x version of DPP won't be updated anymore at some point.

More over it's sub optimal to have to use two software versions if you use different bodys. This would be a friction within my workflow and I guess I would stop using DPP. Photo Ninja looks tempting ...

-- hide signature --

www.freude-am-licht.de

PhotoKhan
Like?
The probable reason...

...Why DPP 4.0 does not support more ancient CR2 files at launch has, maybe, more to do with the future than with the past.

New sensors from Canon are about to emerge. A recent call on CR points for this to be possible has early as the soon-to-be-released 7DII.

Every new interaction of the CR2 files are not exactly the same as the previous one, as proven by the need of new ACR releases by Adobe for each launch.

So, full backward full compatibility for DPP 4.0 would mobilize programing resources that may have been used to make it compatible with new coming sensors.

It might be more significant what actually already is in DPP4.0 without us being told so than what isn't, in spite of the poor communication.

In any case, for those of us with older cameras, it is just not logic to expect that Canon will be dropping support for older CR2 files in their own new software. It just does not make sense.

As for referral of those older cameras to a 3.14 update, I am sure it is only a stop gap.

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads