broken 40-150R replacement: WWYD?

Started 4 months ago | Questions
Neurad1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029Gear list
Like?
broken 40-150R replacement: WWYD?
4 months ago

I fell and broke my 40-150R lens off at its base while in Scotland. I left the pieces there....figured it couldn't be cheaper to repair than to replace, and wasn't sure I'd trust the repaired lens anyway. I only paid $99 for the lens. To make matters worse, I lost the B&W circular polarizing filter (MRC XS Pro) that I had just bought for the lens in late May...it wasn't on the lens when I fell, but I misplaced it somewhere during the trip after "stowing it" because I wouldn't be using it. So there goes another $90.

So....trying to decide what do do now. I own lenses that overlap with this lens in FL (14-150, 35-100 2.8, 100-300), but none as compact/light as the 45-150R. So my question is, would you purchase a new copy of the 40-150R or is there something better now (or coming soon) that would be a superior replacement? IQ is obviously paramount, but size and weight are important, too since I purchased this lens primarily for travel.

Your opinion?

Neurad1's gear list:Neurad1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +30 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
neofx19
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
Re: broken 40-150R replacement: WWYD?
In reply to Neurad1, 4 months ago

To be honest, I would not get another lens. If I already had the 14-150mm I would cut my losses and just use that lens. It's a terrific all in one solution. If you really want to get the 40-150R again, I would buy it used. Other than that, you can't really find a cheap telephoto lens for the same price you'd get the 40-150R unless it was heavily used.

neofx19's gear list:neofx19's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,900Gear list
Like?

If I were you I'd replace it, easily. To my mind the alternatives would be the water-resistant 35-100/2.8 (over $1000 US), or Oly's 40-150 that's not out yet and likely would cost even more (aside from either having more mass).

As for losing the filter. . . . I've lost countless lens caps, dropped one or two CP's in water where they couldn't be retrieved, but I still find it hard to believe I lost a 7-14 lens a few years ago. That is, it could always be worse.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +19 more
tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,281Gear list
Like?

You might consider the P 45-175mm. It is light, not big and has the advantage of a non extending tube when zooming. When I searched for a lightweight telezoom lens, I compared with the O 40-150mm and the P 45-150mm and found the P 45-175mm has the best IQ of them.

As for using  a lightweight telezoom parallel to the P 2.8/35-100mm, I think it is worth, because the faster zoom is considerably heavier and weighs more, and has less reach. So if I want to go out light, I prefer the P 45-175mm.

I stoppend using the 14-150mm superzoom lenses, because 14mm is not wide enough for my needs and because IQ isn't as good as I want. Therefore I have the excellent O 2.8/12-40mm has my standard lens most often with me, together with either the P 45-175mm or the P 2.8/35-100mm.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +26 more
h2odog
Regular MemberPosts: 409Gear list
Like?

Neurad1 wrote:

I fell and broke my 40-150R lens off at its base while in Scotland. I left the pieces there....figured it couldn't be cheaper to repair than to replace, and wasn't sure I'd trust the repaired lens anyway. I only paid $99 for the lens. To make matters worse, I lost the B&W circular polarizing filter (MRC XS Pro) that I had just bought for the lens in late May...it wasn't on the lens when I fell, but I misplaced it somewhere during the trip after "stowing it" because I wouldn't be using it. So there goes another $90.

So....trying to decide what do do now. I own lenses that overlap with this lens in FL (14-150, 35-100 2.8, 100-300), but none as compact/light as the 45-150R. So my question is, would you purchase a new copy of the 40-150R or is there something better now (or coming soon) that would be a superior replacement? IQ is obviously paramount, but size and weight are important, too since I purchased this lens primarily for travel.

Your opinion?

If you enjoy shooting with the 40-150R because of its IQ and compact, lightweight size, it is still one of the "best bang for the buck" lenses available. If you can get one for about $100, grab it. Perhaps sell one of the lenses you have that you don't use much and replace the CP as well.

h2odog's gear list:h2odog's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +3 more
Neurad1
Like?
In reply to Bob Tullis, 4 months ago

Bob Tullis wrote:

If I were you I'd replace it, easily. To my mind the alternatives would be the water-resistant 35-100/2.8 (over $1000 US), or Oly's 40-150 that's not out yet and likely would cost even more (aside from either having more mass).

As for losing the filter. . . . I've lost countless lens caps, dropped one or two CP's in water where they couldn't be retrieved, but I still find it hard to believe I lost a 7-14 lens a few years ago. That is, it could always be worse.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Thanks, Bob. I already own the 35-100/2.8. Would you still make the "buy" recommendation?

While I feel pretty awful about breaking the lens and losing the filter, it could have been so much worse. I literally face-planted in gravel along a potholed road and came away with only a few bruises and a split lip, but no broken bones or teeth. I recovered nicely after a couple of pints of Guinness which my wife insisted upon since I was so bummed about the lens at the time. She's a keeper.

I would REALLY have been devastated if the E-M1 had been damaged, but it took the fall like a pro and seems to be working fine. I did have an E-PL5 with me which did good work. I just have not yet gotten used to its single tiny dial which is awkward in my hands.

Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +30 more
Bob Tullis
Like?

Neurad1 wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Thanks, Bob. I already own the 35-100/2.8. Would you still make the "buy" recommendation?

Yes, but only because of the way you spoke of it.   I have/respect the lens, but only for a short while.  I haven't bonded with it as I have with alternatives (yet?).

While I feel pretty awful about breaking the lens and losing the filter, it could have been so much worse. I literally face-planted in gravel along a potholed road and came away with only a few bruises and a split lip, but no broken bones or teeth. I recovered nicely after a couple of pints of Guinness which my wife insisted upon since I was so bummed about the lens at the time. She's a keeper.

Indeed, she is.  

I can relate. . . one of the last times I was using a DSLR it was on a tripod at the edge of a roadside lake.  As I was looking to find a better composition I picked up the rig with the legs extended but folded together, and while looking though the viewfinder I would move left/right, forward/back. . . tripped over one of the small boulders that lined the edge of the road. . . I swung the tripod out and the camera struck ground like I was using it as a hammer, while I tried to turn to my side and back while falling head forward down a rough scree covered slope.   When I stopped moving, after the great relief I didn't strike my head in the process, not to mention end up further downslop into the water. . . I started to LOL, picturing what I must have looked like.  (What a great video that could have been)

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +19 more
PSCL1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,116Gear list
Like?
In reply to h2odog, 4 months ago

To the OP:   If you are dead set on restoring redundancy, buy another 40-150 R.  They've been as low as $119 new in the US.  You won't get anything lighter, better, or cheaper no matter how long you wait.

PSCL1's gear list:PSCL1's gear list
Leica X1 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +23 more
Klarno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,538Gear list
Like?

I'd just get another 40-150. In the 40-100 range, it stands with the best lenses in the system for image quality at equal focal lengths and apertures. Up to 150mm it's still no slouch. It's probably the one lens in the system everyone should have.

-- hide signature --
 Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 A3000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Neurad1
Like?
In reply to PSCL1, 4 months ago

PSCL1 wrote:

To the OP: If you are dead set on restoring redundancy, buy another 40-150 R. They've been as low as $119 new in the US. You won't get anything lighter, better, or cheaper no matter how long you wait.

I am going to keep my eye open for a good price on one....If it gets down around the price you mention I may buy it again.

Neurad1
Like?
In reply to Klarno, 4 months ago

Klarno wrote:

I'd just get another 40-150. In the 40-100 range, it stands with the best lenses in the system for image quality at equal focal lengths and apertures. Up to 150mm it's still no slouch. It's probably the one lens in the system everyone should have.

-- hide signature --

Agree....Here's an image I took in Scotland "before the fall".

On the road to Mallaig.

offtheback
Regular MemberPosts: 430Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bob Tullis, 4 months ago
they couldn't be retrieved, but I still find it hard to believe I lost a 7-14 lens a few years ago. That is, it could always be worse.
-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Bob-Whereabouts did you lose the 7-14?I have some spare time and would really like to have one.Thanks

Bob Tullis
Like?
In reply to offtheback, 4 months ago

offtheback wrote:

they couldn't be retrieved, but I still find it hard to believe I lost a 7-14 lens a few years ago. That is, it could always be worse.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Bob-Whereabouts did you lose the 7-14?I have some spare time and would really like to have one.Thanks

Somewhere along Peter's Kill,  Minnewaska S.P.

Godspeed.  

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Michael Meissner
Forum ProPosts: 23,142Gear list
Like?

Neurad1 wrote:

PSCL1 wrote:

To the OP: If you are dead set on restoring redundancy, buy another 40-150 R. They've been as low as $119 new in the US. You won't get anything lighter, better, or cheaper no matter how long you wait.

I am going to keep my eye open for a good price on one....If it gets down around the price you mention I may buy it again.

If you live in the USA/Canada, they have reconditioned 40-150mm lenses (both the silver and black) on sale at the outlet store right now for $119.99: Olympus outlet store lenses. Note, the reconditioned warranty is only 90 days. If you buy reconditioned many times the lens/camera is like new, either Olympus is managing excess inventory (with a 'scuffed' box), or it is a return where the user decided they didn't like the camera, and it is essentially unused. However, I imagine some reconditioned lenses were used hard.

If you want to save even more, Olympus has recently been offering some 10-20% off sales at the outlet stores around the weekends of US holidays (Presidents Day, Memorial Day, etc.) July 4th is coming up, and you might get lucky (or perhaps people will buy up all of the lenses, and you will have to wait until they get more stock).

Keh.com has one for $126: KEH micro 4/3rds 40-150mm

<edit>

I didn't notice what lenses you already had.  Given you have the 14-150mm, you would need to ask yourself whether the 40-150mm offers more bang for the buck in terms of image sharpness than just using the 14-150mm.  I've only shoot with the 40-150mm at an Olympus sales event a few years ago, but my memory says it is roughly the same size and just a tad lighter than the 14-150mm.  Yeah, if you didn't have the 14-150mm, I would say get the cheap 40-150mm, but I'm not sure with the 14-150mm.  I have the 14-150mm lens, and have never been interested in the 40-150mm for that reason.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +19 more
Michael M Fliegel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,698Gear list
Like?
In reply to Michael Meissner, 4 months ago

Absolutely get another one.  It is so light and is optically fine.  Agree that every mft owner should get one.

Michael M Fliegel's gear list:Michael M Fliegel's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +8 more
Neurad1
Like?
In reply to Michael Meissner, 4 months ago

Michael Meissner wrote:

Neurad1 wrote:

PSCL1 wrote:

If you live in the USA/Canada, they have reconditioned 40-150mm lenses (both the silver and black) on sale at the outlet store right now for $119.99: Olympus outlet store lenses. Note, the reconditioned warranty is only 90 days. If you buy reconditioned many times the lens/camera is like new, either Olympus is managing excess inventory (with a 'scuffed' box), or it is a return where the user decided they didn't like the camera, and it is essentially unused. However, I imagine some reconditioned lenses were used hard.

If you want to save even more, Olympus has recently been offering some 10-20% off sales at the outlet stores around the weekends of US holidays (Presidents Day, Memorial Day, etc.) July 4th is coming up, and you might get lucky (or perhaps people will buy up all of the lenses, and you will have to wait until they get more stock).

Keh.com has one for $126: KEH micro 4/3rds 40-150mm

<edit>

I didn't notice what lenses you already had. Given you have the 14-150mm, you would need to ask yourself whether the 40-150mm offers more bang for the buck in terms of image sharpness than just using the 14-150mm. I've only shoot with the 40-150mm at an Olympus sales event a few years ago, but my memory says it is roughly the same size and just a tad lighter than the 14-150mm. Yeah, if you didn't have the 14-150mm, I would say get the cheap 40-150mm, but I'm not sure with the 14-150mm. I have the 14-150mm lens, and have never been interested in the 40-150mm for that reason.

My 40-150R seemed sharper than my 14-150. I bought it because I saw it new for $99 and I couldn't stop myself. I'm not sure that KEH lens is the 40-150R....it may be the earlier version, though I'm not sure that matters that much.

Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,760Gear list
Like?
Re: broken 40-150R replacement: WWYD? GET ANOTHER ONE!

That's what I did when I got mould on my 40-150. You can't do better, I believe.

Bad luck damaging it like that, and losing the polariser sure adds insult to injury!

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
traveler_101
Contributing MemberPosts: 656Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hen3ry, 4 months ago

To the OP:

Sorry to hear of your financial losses; photography is expensive enough without these unfortunate accidents coming along.

I have the 40-150 myself and just used it yesterday to take stills and video of my daughter playing the violin on stage. Nice lens and light enough to put on a small light camera like my E-PM2.

I am with the chorus here: I would replace the 40-150 as soon as possible. To finance the purchase, I would sell the 14-150.

Considering the fact that you have much better lenses than the 14-150 in the wide to normal range, and that the 40-150 bests the 14-150 in the longer focal range, why do you need the 14-150? You said yourself that you don't think the image quality is up to snuff.

traveler_101's gear list:traveler_101's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +1 more
Neurad1
Like?
In reply to traveler_101, 4 months ago

traveler_101 wrote:

To the OP:

Sorry to hear of your financial losses; photography is expensive enough without these unfortunate accidents coming along.

I have the 40-150 myself and just used it yesterday to take stills and video of my daughter playing the violin on stage. Nice lens and light enough to put on a small light camera like my E-PM2.

I am with the chorus here: I would replace the 40-150 as soon as possible. To finance the purchase, I would sell the 14-150.

Considering the fact that you have much better lenses than the 14-150 in the wide to normal range, and that the 40-150 bests the 14-150 in the longer focal range, why do you need the 14-150? You said yourself that you don't think the image quality is up to snuff.

I've never actually sold gear. Not really sure how/where to do it "without risk".

hindesite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,274
Like?

I have both the m.Zuiko 40-150 and the Panasonic 45-150.

I'd replace the lens with the 45-150, it is so much better - handles nicer, also has OIS. Very affordable as a part of a broken up kit.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads