When the Canon 1" sensor?
6 months ago

No rumors anymore?

B1ackhat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,858Gear list
Like?
Re: When the Canon 1" sensor?
In reply to tkpatric, 6 months ago

The G1X M2 is all you're going to get for now.

-- hide signature --

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,849Gear list
Like?

I think a 0.86539762" sensor would be the best. I am not sure why but that is the number that springs to mind. Pure instinct.

tkpatric wrote:

No rumors anymore?

Oly Canikon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,021
Like?
In reply to Greynerd, 6 months ago

Greynerd wrote:

I think a 0.86539762" sensor would be the best. I am not sure why but that is the number that springs to mind. Pure instinct.

tkpatric wrote:

No rumors anymore?

I'm partial to the more universal 3.1415926535897932384 sensor.

Greynerd
Like?
In reply to Oly Canikon, 6 months ago

I hope this is cms. Let's not be sloppy about units. I think if you are going to this level of accuracy you might as well have an irrational number which would be more exotic and have a deep inner meaning.

The whole system is based on vidicon tubes measured in an ancient multi base number imperial  measurement system so it is all crazy anyway and the perfect 1" has a cult following in photo circles.

Oly Canikon wrote:

Greynerd wrote:

tkpatric wrote:

No rumors anymore?

crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,565Gear list
Like?

tkpatric wrote:

No rumors anymore?

Why do you care JUST about 1"? If you have enaugh reach and small cam enaugh, you want the biggest, and if you want more reach and still maintain small-ish size, you want smaller. I believe Canon would kick a$$ if they put 2/3" sensor into 60x zoom body with 24-1440mm f/2.8 - f/5.9 lens...

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
tkpatric
Senior MemberPosts: 1,175Gear list
Like?
In reply to crashpc, 6 months ago

Canon would kick ass if they put a 1" sensor in a G15- sized body.

pacnwhobbyist
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?

We probably won't know until photokina. And even then, I'm skeptical that a 1"-sensored powershot will be released. Although, I have to admit I would be tempted by a G17 with that size sensor and a decently fast lens which is lighter than the G1X Mark II.

pacnwhobbyist's gear list:pacnwhobbyist's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1
crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,565Gear list
Like?

Would they rly kick pretty anything compared to actually few period existing Sony RX 100?

If they continue with the same attitude as they did with G1X II, and "cut" that sensor even more, they´d end up with less than 10Mpx, and that would be really very sub-par. I expected G1X II to have more megapixels for less price, and I don´t believe they´ll deliver better price/features ratio next time. I think they´re "done", and even if 1" G17 will come, it propably won´t beat both G1X and RX100 II and III for the price. Canon became really expensive in some cases.

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
AlbertInFrance
Senior MemberPosts: 2,698Gear list
Like?

Greynerd wrote:

I hope this is cms. Let's not be sloppy about units.

125 microfurlongs seems a reasonable size compromise to me.

I think if you are going to this level of accuracy you might as well have an irrational number which would be more exotic and have a deep inner meaning.

The whole system is based on vidicon tubes measured in an ancient multi base number imperial measurement system so it is all crazy anyway and the perfect 1" has a cult following in photo circles.

Oly Canikon wrote:

Greynerd wrote:

tkpatric wrote:

No rumors anymore?

-- hide signature --

Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.
Most people are more interested in the picture than the image.

AlbertInFrance's gear list:AlbertInFrance's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +4 more
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,738Gear list
Like?

This current obsession with larger sensors, where does it lead us?

Most of us can already do everything we need and more using the present slightly smaller sensors, so there must be some new thing just around the corner that I do not know about that is only achievable if we keep moving in the direction of larger sensors, can anyone enlighten me what this might be.

Otherwise can someone tell me why they are obsessed with larger sensors.

No, I haven't heard any rumours, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Mudbug104
Junior MemberPosts: 42Gear list
Like?

I have it on good authority (from a source that cannot be disclosed (security concerns, you know)  the "Canon One Incher", as it is known within the Canon Company, will be released 6 months (to the exact day) after the SX60HS hits the dealers' shelves.

Greynerd
Like?
In reply to brianj, 6 months ago

Very expensive and and in many cases very large cameras.

brianj wrote:

brianj
Like?

That's certainly one of the downsides, but there are others, like the loss of wide angle and even if they manage to get the lens to 24mm it is often soft at certain apertures and/or soft at the corners.  Non existant zoom is another downside unless it has a lens the size of a 3" drain pipe.

I know there will be a few people that shoot most of their images in dark environments, I even enjoy this myself, but it is probably about 1% of my shooting.  So is that what its all about, only one person has been helpful in trying to figure this out.

Thanks Greynerd.

Greynerd wrote:

Very expensive and and in many cases very large cameras.

brianj wrote:

stevenic
Contributing MemberPosts: 790
Like?
In reply to Mudbug104, 6 months ago

I have it on good authority (from a source that cannot be disclosed (security concerns, you know)  the "Canon One Incher", as it is known within the Canon Company, will be released 6 months (to the exact day) after the SX60HS hits the dealers' shelves.

When is the sx60 be released cheers Steve

Greynerd
Like?
In reply to stevenic, 6 months ago

The day after tomorrow. A complete guess of course but probably as useful as any other information from the rumour circuit.

Edit: Sorry that is a Sunday. 2 business days from now is better.

stevenic wrote:

I have it on good authority (from a source that cannot be disclosed (security concerns, you know) the "Canon One Incher", as it is known within the Canon Company, will be released 6 months (to the exact day) after the SX60HS hits the dealers' shelves.

When is the sx60 be released cheers Steve

Scott Skinner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,627Gear list
Like?
what would that do to G1X sales?

tkpatric wrote:

Canon would kick ass if they put a 1" sensor in a G15- sized body.

I doubt you will see another G-series with a large sensor.

Scott Skinner's gear list:Scott Skinner's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,774Gear list
Like?
In reply to crashpc, 6 months ago

crashpc wrote:

tkpatric wrote:

No rumors anymore?

Why do you care JUST about 1"? If you have enaugh reach and small cam enaugh, you want the biggest, and if you want more reach and still maintain small-ish size, you want smaller. I believe Canon would kick a$$ if they put 2/3" sensor into 60x zoom body with 24-1440mm f/2.8 - f/5.9 lens...

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

I think 2/3rds would be sweet in a super zoom too.  I do have the RX10, and RX100m3 and will get the FZ1000 sell my RX10 probably.  But my second favorite camera is the Panasonic FZ200.  I think a Canon SX60 ish with a 14 megapixel 2/3rds sensor and a 25-1000 f2.8 to F4 zoom would be great.  But I would like to see a premium version with great EVF and all the faster and better bells and whistles.

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,774Gear list
Like?
Where does it lead us?
In reply to brianj, 6 months ago

brianj wrote:

To better image quality with less noise or at least the ability to clean the noise with out smearing.

Most of us can already do everything we need and more using the present slightly smaller sensors, so there must be some new thing just around the corner that I do not know about that is only achievable if we keep moving in the direction of larger sensors, can anyone enlighten me what this might be.

This is true and I objectively believe that my Panasonic FZ200 is hand down the best super zoom with a small sensor.  I know the SX50 with a similar 12mp sensor is close.  http://www.scottzinda.com/Point-and-Shoot-Cameras/FZ200/

But I do find some limitations in low light even with the constant f2.8.  You can view my indoor theater dancer photos where I needed ISO 800-3200 to really get the shutter I needed.  I could not get there with any kind of clean image when compared to my M43 or RX10.  This also goes for early morning and evening birds.

Not obsessed just a logical question to ask as nice compromise considering the dramatic increase in quality.  For low light shots.  And even though I am prefer quality over Megapixels which is why I have a 12MP FZ200 over any of the 16MP versions with crap sensors.  But in the right conditions and with the right lens, a few more megapixels can ad detail or a bit or artificial reach.

Here is my RX10 gallery I have been testing.  It lacks the Reach of my FZ200 and falls short on macro and birds but where the focal lengths are similar or lower light, the RX10 is superior on detail.  I realize the detail is not all Megapixels but it helps in certain conditions.

http://www.scottzinda.com/Point-and-Shoot-Cameras/Sony-RX-10-Test-Shots/

If your happy with your current gear, that is a great thing!

Brian

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
brianj
Like?
Re: Where does it lead us?
In reply to phazelag, 6 months ago

phazelag wrote:

brianj wrote:

To better image quality with less noise or at least the ability to clean the noise with out smearing.

This is true and I objectively believe that my Panasonic FZ200 is hand down the best super zoom with a small sensor. I know the SX50 with a similar 12mp sensor is close. http://www.scottzinda.com/Point-and-Shoot-Cameras/FZ200/

But I do find some limitations in low light even with the constant f2.8. You can view my indoor theater dancer photos where I needed ISO 800-3200 to really get the shutter I needed. I could not get there with any kind of clean image when compared to my M43 or RX10. This also goes for early morning and evening birds.

Not obsessed just a logical question to ask as nice compromise considering the dramatic increase in quality. For low light shots. And even though I am prefer quality over Megapixels which is why I have a 12MP FZ200 over any of the 16MP versions with crap sensors. But in the right conditions and with the right lens, a few more megapixels can ad detail or a bit or artificial reach.

Here is my RX10 gallery I have been testing. It lacks the Reach of my FZ200 and falls short on macro and birds but where the focal lengths are similar or lower light, the RX10 is superior on detail. I realize the detail is not all Megapixels but it helps in certain conditions.

http://www.scottzinda.com/Point-and-Shoot-Cameras/Sony-RX-10-Test-Shots/

If your happy with your current gear, that is a great thing!

That's a fair assessment, which I agree with, so its mainly about people wanting more or bigger or better even if they don't need it in many cases.  The same arguments could be applied to most things we have, our car or our TV or whatever.  I just find that the things I own already do more than I need from them, so am struggling to understand this overkill mentality.

It would be the same as wanting a car that can do 1000km/hr when our present one can already do 800km/hr but the roads we drive on only allow 100km/hr.  It seems to be a case of the manufacturers desperately looking for ways to get us to spend our money.

Brian

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads