Selling my D800E for WHAT?!?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
LCplHerold
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
Selling my D800E for WHAT?!?
6 months ago

Hello everyone.

I am currently a working as a 2nd shooter (and sometimes as 1st) for Wedding/Corporate event gigs.

I currently am invested in Nikon gear (D800E, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, etc) but I also own a Sony A7r. I only use a Leica 50mm summicron on my A7r so I have no experience with how it autofocuses. When I am shooting I normally carry my A7r w/ Leica 50mm on one shoulder and my D800e on the other with a 70-200mm, this usually covers what I need unless I need a wide shot.

The funny thing is, I find myself shooting far, far more with my A7r than I do with my D800e, and it not the choice in lens. The A7r just feels far more comfortable and reliable (I have never been good at MF with a OVF but with a EVF it is a different story).

So here is my question:

I am contemplating selling ALL my nikon gear and in turn buying an A7, FE 24-70, FE 70-200. Is this a poor idea?

My one fear is when I do start to 1st shoot more than the AF will murder me, as I hear nothing but complaints about both the A7r's and the A7's autofocus. I get the feeling from the way people trash it than in a lower light scenario I will have next to useless AF.

What would you recommend and why?

Thank you for your time in reading this.

All the best,

LCpl. Herold

Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
edorlando
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
Re: Selling my D800E for WHAT?!?
In reply to LCplHerold, 6 months ago

Let me ask u the ? I showed up at your wedding with a sony a? what every - what would u do.

What I would do is give u a smack in the head - But that would not happen to me - I would have enough sense to ask what kind of equipment u would be using. u might get away with it if it was an old folks wedding- when all the guest r over 60 and move very slowly.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,519Gear list
Like?

LCplHerold wrote:

Hello everyone.

I am currently a working as a 2nd shooter (and sometimes as 1st) for Wedding/Corporate event gigs.

I currently am invested in Nikon gear (D800E, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, etc) but I also own a Sony A7r. I only use a Leica 50mm summicron on my A7r so I have no experience with how it autofocuses. When I am shooting I normally carry my A7r w/ Leica 50mm on one shoulder and my D800e on the other with a 70-200mm, this usually covers what I need unless I need a wide shot.

The funny thing is, I find myself shooting far, far more with my A7r than I do with my D800e, and it not the choice in lens. The A7r just feels far more comfortable and reliable (I have never been good at MF with a OVF but with a EVF it is a different story).

So here is my question:

I am contemplating selling ALL my nikon gear and in turn buying an A7, FE 24-70, FE 70-200. Is this a poor idea?

My one fear is when I do start to 1st shoot more than the AF will murder me, as I hear nothing but complaints about both the A7r's and the A7's autofocus. I get the feeling from the way people trash it than in a lower light scenario I will have next to useless AF.

If you believe the internet hype then you will just succumb to the myths.

The AF of the A7/r works fine under low light - meaning most conditions that we encounter indoors and socially.

Drop the lights even further, and the AF begins to hunt. Basically, there is nothing distinguishable to focus on. For weddings, not so much a condition, unless done by candle-light in the outdoors on a moon-less night

Plus, you can up the ISO, and still get AF to work, as long as there are distinguishable shapes to focus on.

You have the A7r, so you can speak from your own experience. I don't know what lenses you are using, but both the FE35 and FE55 would work well in your scenarios.

If you have to convice yourself, rent the FE55 and try it out (socially) over a weekend or so. If that doesn't convince you, then add to the myths (about poor low light AF). But if you are like the rest of us, you will be rather impressed, I am sure.

All the best,

LCpl. Herold

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
LCplHerold
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, 6 months ago

blue_skies wrote:

LCplHerold wrote:

Hello everyone.

So here is my question:

The AF of the A7/r works fine under low light - meaning most conditions that we encounter indoors and socially.

Drop the lights even further, and the AF begins to hunt. Basically, there is nothing distinguishable to focus on. For weddings, not so much a condition, unless done by candle-light in the outdoors on a moon-less night

Plus, you can up the ISO, and still get AF to work, as long as there are distinguishable shapes to focus on.

You have the A7r, so you can speak from your own experience. I don't know what lenses you are using, but both the FE35 and FE55 would work well in your scenarios.

If you have to convice yourself, rent the FE55 and try it out (socially) over a weekend or so. If that doesn't convince you, then add to the myths (about poor low light AF). But if you are like the rest of us, you will be rather impressed, I am sure.

All the best,

LCpl. Herold

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Thank you so much for your reply.

I am currently using a Manual Focus range finder lens so my A7r has actually never focused on its own.

I truly do understand that people fall prey to myths which is one of the reasons I ask my question. I am only apprehensive about pulling the trigger as my photography is 100% of my income and I would hate to shoot myself in the foot so to speak.

miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,952Gear list
Like?

Get the A7s, in addition to the A7r!

Definitely buy the FE 55.

The FE 24-70 is excellent too.

miro3's gear list:miro3's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
ebuddha
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?

LCplHerold wrote:

Hello everyone.

So here is my question:

All the best,

Wait 2 to 3 more months to see what is announced by sony, nikon, canon at photokina and then make a decision.

LCpl. Herold

JurijTurnsek
Regular MemberPosts: 237Gear list
Like?

Also, since you are getting paid, try renting this setup for one wedding and see for yourself how it goes.

JurijTurnsek's gear list:JurijTurnsek's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
OvinceZ
Senior MemberPosts: 2,589Gear list
Like?

I wouldn't sell any equipment just yet. I always keep excellent equipment, especially lenses.

Buy a good adapter and use your Nikkor lenses on the A7R. With focus peaking and magnified view you will get good results manually focusing them.

Another option is to get a Metabones smart adapter and buy Canon lenses. AF should work but is a bit slow. I use manual focus all the time because I want sharp photos.

The advice about the FE lenses is the way to go. I have the 35 and it is fast and sharp in AF. The 55 is even better re sharpness so should suit a wedding photographer. You like the focal length so that is the first one to acquire. The FE lenses are small and work well on the A7R so they should constitute your kit. Perhaps renting them for a weekend might clear up things for you.

Vince

OvinceZ's gear list:OvinceZ's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +14 more
JamieTux
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,821Gear list
Like?

LCplHerold wrote:

Hello everyone.

So here is my question:

Yes and no - you will still need to have 2 cameras (unless the people you work with have spares - the last thing you want to worry about is trying to free up a locked camera as the first kiss happens
Also the Nikon 51 point AF and 70-200 f2.8 is one of the fastest focussing combinations out there on any system, so if that's your benchmark you will be unhappy!  However if you're not using the speed then it's not that big a factor.
Personally I use A99 and A7r, so I have the Sigma 70-200 OS and the LA-EA4 adapter so I still have f2.8 and optical stabilisation.

I've not had an issue but the only FE lens I use is the FE35 so it's not a fair comparison (it's a great combination though

That you ignore the guy that would hire based on kit not images...  You need 2 cameras if you're the main shooter but running 2 systems is expensive so I see the attraction of going down to one - you could always get an A7s as your second camera which would give you the best low light performance you can buy...

Oh and buy lots of batteries!

All the best,

LCpl. Herold

JamieTux's gear list:JamieTux's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
JeffGo
Contributing MemberPosts: 699Gear list
Like?

LCplHerold wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

LCplHerold wrote:

Hello everyone.

So here is my question:

All the best,

LCpl. Herold

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

I am currently using a Manual Focus range finder lens so my A7r has actually never focused on its own.

I truly do understand that people fall prey to myths which is one of the reasons I ask my question. I am only apprehensive about pulling the trigger as my photography is 100% of my income and I would hate to shoot myself in the foot so to speak.

I agree with Henry. Try the FE35 and/or FE55 in low light. I am still amazed at how well the AF works with the A7R under really low light. I can make it hunt by trying to force too low an ISO but I have also learned that the high ISO of this camera is much much better than anything I have seen (e.g., with Canon, NEX-7, etc.).

JeffGo's gear list:JeffGo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +12 more
nandbytes
Senior MemberPosts: 3,780Gear list
Like?
In reply to JamieTux, 6 months ago

JamieTux wrote:

LCplHerold wrote:

Hello everyone.

So here is my question:

Yes and no - you will still need to have 2 cameras (unless the people you work with have spares - the last thing you want to worry about is trying to free up a locked camera as the first kiss happens
Also the Nikon 51 point AF and 70-200 f2.8 is one of the fastest focussing combinations out there on any system, so if that's your benchmark you will be unhappy! However if you're not using the speed then it's not that big a factor.
Personally I use A99 and A7r, so I have the Sigma 70-200 OS and the LA-EA4 adapter so I still have f2.8 and optical stabilisation.

I've not had an issue but the only FE lens I use is the FE35 so it's not a fair comparison (it's a great combination though

That you ignore the guy that would hire based on kit not images... You need 2 cameras if you're the main shooter but running 2 systems is expensive so I see the attraction of going down to one - you could always get an A7s as your second camera which would give you the best low light performance you can buy...

Oh and buy lots of batteries!

and a vertical grip

All the best,

LCpl. Herold

-- hide signature --

Focus on what you have, not on what you don't.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nandbytes/

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony a77 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +5 more
nandbytes
Like?

I recently did a wedding in India with my A7. Believe you me the wedding there are a lot more chaotic than the ones here in UK. My cousin had hired a professional too and I was just taking pictures for fun. In the end it seems they prefer my pictures to the other guys, and asked if I could do an album. I don't know where to start.... but any way the point is the AF system is good enough for such events IMO. It focussed pretty well indoors with FE35 but it wasn't particularly dark.

Some people did smile at me and some of them I thought I was using a p&s lol. But now my pictures speak for themselves.

That's my limited personal experience anyway, take what you will of it. There is another person who is doing BIF shooting with A7+FE70-200 and being successful. The AF is certainly not at the level of D800 but its not as bad as people make it out to be either.

-- hide signature --

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony a77 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +5 more
philip pj
Contributing MemberPosts: 729
Like?
In reply to nandbytes, 6 months ago

A lot of people will prefer to use Nikon for this type of photography - it's their main game, good flash and flash exposure, backup, support, lenses, AF..if you really like the photography side of it you can do it of course, but with a different approach with some compromises.

These cameras are really targeted at enthusiasts not event pros.

nandbytes
Like?
In reply to philip pj, 6 months ago

philip pj wrote:

A lot of people will prefer to use Nikon for this type of photography - it's their main game, good flash and flash exposure, backup, support, lenses, AF..if you really like the photography side of it you can do it of course, but with a different approach with some compromises.

These cameras are really targeted at enthusiasts not event pros.

I agree on the flash system I think one on nikon works very well. They also provide pro support which I am not sure sony does. But lenses and AF is not an issue on Sony systems. Its not like you need specialist lenses or pro-level tracking for these kind of events. Sony has the normal range covered pretty well on a-mount and they are getting there on e-mount.

but having a big nikon doesn't make one a pro as I have noticed many a times now. I have now seen enough so called pros with big cameras that produce and sell pictures below my standards and I am not even a pro. So a camera is not going to get you or anyone great pictures if you can't use it properly.

We were flicking through my parents album recently where pics were all taken using manual focus and film. They are much better than the recent pics from the wedding the "professional" took with D800. Have very good AF/tracking and the very best flash system is not a substitute for lack of skill.

-- hide signature --

Jeff2013
Regular MemberPosts: 214Gear list
Like?

When I first acquired my A7R, I would carry it as a second camera to my D800E at portrait sessions and events.  I started finding that I really liked the results more from the A7R, so I dropped the D800E and acquired a second A7R.

The 55mm f1.8 is a stunning lens and I find that it is worth it to walk a few paces (in lieu of a zoom) to get my shots.  It seems to focus about as well as my D800E in most any light.  The FE 24-70mm f4 doesn't focus quite as well in really low light, but it does lock focus (just slightly slower) and is good enough for event photography.  In reasonably good light, it focuses very fast.

While I previously used zooms fairly extensively for events on my D800E (Nikon 24-70m f2.8 & 70-200mm f2.8 VRII), I now use my FE 55mm f1.8 and the Sony Zeiss 135mm f1.8/LA-EA4.  This has allowed the quality of my work to improve, noticeably.  I get a lot more "stunning" shots than I ever used to. My D800E now sits safely in the trunk (boot) of my car for most shoots.

Another advantage of using the Sony system is the ADI feature on the Sony flashes (distance measuring).  With my Nikon SB910's, I would need to level the light in post-processing as the distance to subjects changed during events.  With ADI on the Sony flashes, nearly every flash shot is perfectly exposed.  This saves a lot of time!!

I will be really happy when the new Sony FE 85mm f1.8 lens is released later this year - as well as the FE 16-35mm.  My D800E has now become my sports, nature and bird photography camera; although, I now use it, reluctantly.

As a final note, use the vertical grip for event photography.  Not only is it easier to use for extended periods, the second battery allows it to last for the whole event.

Jeff2013's gear list:Jeff2013's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810
mpetersson
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?

I don't think you would have much of a problem with the AF for weddings to be honest. I'm not a professional, but I used my A7 + the FE55 to photograph a baptism in a rather dark church a few weeks ago, and the AF was fine for that. In better light it works just fine, although of course it's not suitable for sports or really fast-moving stuff. But there shouldn't be much of that at a wedding I guess...

I would think that if you're married to the Nikon-system with loads of high-end lenses etc. there might be more of a hurdle to pass there, since you probably can't get native equivalents for many of the lenses you might own (or want to own). Also you might miss the Nikon Professional Services if you have that today, I don't know whether Sony has an equivalent in your area. I know that they don't where I live, and if I was a professional that might matter a lot to me.

Oh, and an edit. Try the 24-70 Zeiss before buying, I just got that lens and you really need to try before you buy to see if you can live with it. It has aspects that might bother some people a lot, others less. I am, as yet, undecided.

mpetersson's gear list:mpetersson's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
maxotics
Regular MemberPosts: 283Gear list
Like?

I currently am invested in Nikon gear (D800E, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, etc) but I also own a Sony A7r.

You're "invested" in a Nikon system yet you shoot with a manual lens, artistically.  To me, the question you're really asking is what kind of photographer you want to be?  If you want to succeed commercially than the Nikon is a no-brainer, for all the reasons mentioned by others.  If you have a style that can be achieved with Sony that will be more important to you/client than the reliability of the Nikon system, then you should buy whatever camera you need to get the shots you want.

DFPanno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,041Gear list
Like?
Strange question.

You are a professional photographer with two of the world's best cameras and you are on an internet forum with CPAs, dentists, house painters, and shopkeepers asking what you need to use professionally?

Strikes me as a bit odd.

DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +13 more
nandbytes
Like?
Re: Strange question.
In reply to DFPanno, 6 months ago

DFPanno wrote:

You are a professional photographer with two of the world's best cameras and you are on an internet forum with CPAs, dentists, house painters, and shopkeepers asking what you need to use professionally?

I am none of those but that reminds me my dentist does wedding over weekends. he is pretty good at it too.

Strikes me as a bit odd.

-- hide signature --

DFPanno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,041Gear list
Like?
Re: Strange question.
In reply to nandbytes, 6 months ago

Oh; I am sure there are very fine amateur photographers here.

I just think that, in general, professional photographers have traveled a lengthy road of experience.

By they time they are purchasing top-tier gear they have figured out the basics.

DSLR vs MILC is a basics conversation; not a pro conversation.

That said:

I can tell you as a rank amatuer that there is no way I would hire a wedding photographer for my daughter that was not shooting a pro DSLR.

Anyone who tells you that they can generate the same predictable outcomes with an A7R in a dynamic social setting is living in a private fantasy.

Formal pics - no problem.

DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads