DPP 4 - why can't I edit images?

Started Jun 18, 2014 | Questions
KLO82 Senior Member • Posts: 1,388
DPP 4 - why can't I edit images?

Can anyone help? I downloaded it yesterday, but can't edit any images. Edit window looks like this and adjustments sliders do not work. Also the image looks very small and can not be magnified:

May be I am missing something very obvious here - what is it?

KLO82's gear list:KLO82's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM
ANSWER:
Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,374
Re: DPP 4 - why can't I edit images?

Probably doesn't work because this version of DPP  does not support your camera.

OP KLO82 Senior Member • Posts: 1,388

Dareshooter wrote:

Probably doesn't work because this version of DPP does not support your camera.

I just saw forum posts that it only supports 4 professional bodies,  not my 550D.
That is something really unexpected from Canon.

KLO82's gear list:KLO82's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM
Simion1 Regular Member • Posts: 115

That's because DPP 4.0 is only compatible with Canon’s current range of full-frame DSLRs (EOS-1D X, EOS-1D C, EOS 5D Mark III and EOS 6D).  It won't work with other Canon raw files.

Personally I find it incredibly worrying that Canon have released a new version of DPP that doesn't support older Canon raw files anymore. Given Canon's stance on this, I think people should be questioning how future compatible their original Canon raw files are (which are essentially their negatives) and whether they will actually be able to open them in say 10 years time.

I am pretty disappointed in Canon given how many cr2/crw files there are currently in existence and Canon's seeming lack of future support for them.

Pastynator Contributing Member • Posts: 925

Simion1 wrote:

That's because DPP 4.0 is only compatible with Canon’s current range of full-frame DSLRs (EOS-1D X, EOS-1D C, EOS 5D Mark III and EOS 6D). It won't work with other Canon raw files.

Personally I find it incredibly worrying that Canon have released a new version of DPP that doesn't support older Canon raw files anymore. Given Canon's stance on this, I think people should be questioning how future compatible their original Canon raw files are (which are essentially their negatives) and whether they will actually be able to open them in say 10 years time.

I am pretty disappointed in Canon given how many cr2/crw files there are currently in existence and Canon's seeming lack of future support for them.

It's going to turn into an unmitigated disaster for Canon unless they expand on the compatability or allow the old version of DPP to still be accessible once 4.xx is installed.

It's supposed to be an application for professional photographers (as the name suggests) and if they can't edit their library of raw files across multiple models, it'll be worthless.

NancyP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,471
Canon pushing 2-camera users toward third-party RAW converters

OK, I have 60D and 6D. I can't upgrade to DPP4, and if I used DPP in the first place, I might be p-o. I happen to use LR, partly because I like LR catalog organizational method. Not everyone will want their RAW converter to be their asset management system as well, and those people are potential users of DPP.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,378
Is your copy from Canon and legal?

KLO82 wrote:

Can anyone help? I downloaded it yesterday, but can't edit any images. Edit window looks like this and adjustments sliders do not work. Also the image looks very small and can not be magnified:

According to DPreview, DPP 4 will not be available until the 26 of June!

Walter Sr.

-- hide signature --

I am out to take the perfect picture, if it exits!

PalmettoFellow Senior Member • Posts: 1,171
Grab your pitchforks and torches

I'll bring the tar and feathers.
Canon has sent a clear message with this.
It's time to push back. ;p

PalmettoFellow's gear list:PalmettoFellow's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +1 more
Simion1 Regular Member • Posts: 115

Absolutely. And they're missing the point when they say "For other models, an update of DPP 3.14 will be released".

Sure today there are two versions of DPP available, however I would be extremely suprised if Canon were to continue developing/supporting two different versions of DPP. Therefore, DPP 3 would appear to be on borrowed time as all development effort will go into DPP 4, until they finally decide to drop support for DPP 3 altogether.

So fast forward into the future where DPP 3 will no longer install on Windows XYZ anymore, then all of a sudden the tens of thousands of original raw photos people have taken on Canon camera's up until now, will suddenly become unreadable using DPP (and as such all the time spent processing the files in the first place will also be lost because DPP is the only package that'll recognise the DPP adjustment settings stored in the raw file metadata).

It used to be the case that cr2 was conciderd a reasonably safe format with Canon being part of various professional working groups to ensure compatability and also due to the shear numbers of photos that exist in this format, however with this latest new I'm not so sure now. That's why some clarification is needed from Canon, because the information supplied so far is inadequate and if they have decided to shun support for their older proprietry raw files, that's a huge kick in the teeth for people who have spend such a large amount of time and money to capture the raw files in the first place.

Robert Sheldon Senior Member • Posts: 2,237

The manual for DPP 4 is available on Canon's USA site.  It says DPP 4 will only work on the current FF cameras.  That is about as official as it can get.

-- hide signature --

Bob Sheldon
Photo Gallery at
www.bobsheldon.com

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
davinci953 Regular Member • Posts: 368

Robert Sheldon wrote:

The manual for DPP 4 is available on Canon's USA site. It says DPP 4 will only work on the current FF cameras. That is about as official as it can get.

It's also being offered only as a 64 bit application. So if you're running a 32 bit OS, it'll be necessary to stay with version 3.  I thought I read that support for additional cameras would be added later, but I wasn't able to find that again.

Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 27,065

Simion1 wrote:

That's because DPP 4.0 is only compatible with Canon’s current range of full-frame DSLRs (EOS-1D X, EOS-1D C, EOS 5D Mark III and EOS 6D).  It won't work with other Canon raw files.

Wow, that's terrible.  I've never cared much for the interface and have always used LR, but that basically means if you have anything other than FF you need to purchase 3rd party to process raw files.

Dale Buhanan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,280

Mark B. wrote:

Simion1 wrote:

That's because DPP 4.0 is only compatible with Canon’s current range of full-frame DSLRs (EOS-1D X, EOS-1D C, EOS 5D Mark III and EOS 6D). It won't work with other Canon raw files.

Wow, that's terrible. I've never cared much for the interface and have always used LR, but that basically means if you have anything other than FF you need to purchase 3rd party to process raw files.

It wouldn't bother me a bit if they split out DPP4 for full frame as long as they continued to update to the same feature set on DPP3.XX for crop, etc.  DPP 3.14.15 which I use now is pretty good.  If they continue to update for crop under DPP 3.xx I will be content.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 +35 more
Pastynator Contributing Member • Posts: 925

Dale Buhanan wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Simion1 wrote:

Wow, that's terrible. I've never cared much for the interface and have always used LR, but that basically means if you have anything other than FF you need to purchase 3rd party to process raw files.

It wouldn't bother me a bit if they split out DPP4 for full frame as long as they continued to update to the same feature set on DPP3.XX for crop, etc. DPP 3.14.15 which I use now is pretty good. If they continue to update for crop under DPP 3.xx I will be content.

Same here, but my worry is that they won't allow both to be installed at the same time on a computer

TTMartin
TTMartin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304

Simion1 wrote:

DPP 3.X only supported about 13 stops of dynamic range. The dynamic range of cameras supported by DPP 4.X already exceeded that limit.

DPP 4.X supports 15 stops of dynamic range. I suspect Canon's next generation of cameras may have 16 bit ADCs.

I think you'll see backwards support in DPP 4.X eventually. Canon needed to get a product out that could process the full dynamic range of their cameras.

When I had a file that used the full dynamic range of the Canon 6D you couldn't extract the full dynamic range in DPP 3.X, I had to go to Lightroom. The other night I processed one of those files in DPP 4.X and was able to extract shadow detail that was unobtainable in previous versions of DPP.

Also remember DPP 4.X is a 64 bit OS only program.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D +26 more
Mongrel
Mongrel Senior Member • Posts: 1,260

Oh no!  AUNTIE EM! AUNTIE!  It's a TWISTER!

*sigh*....

(back to the doghouse on JUNE NINETEENTH....)

-- hide signature --

Just think, if every key-stroke was a shutter-press we would all be pros by now...

statistician Junior Member • Posts: 43

Pastynator wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Simion1 wrote:

It wouldn't bother me a bit if they split out DPP4 for full frame as long as they continued to update to the same feature set on DPP3.XX for crop, etc. DPP 3.14.15 which I use now is pretty good. If they continue to update for crop under DPP 3.xx I will be content.

Same here, but my worry is that they won't allow both to be installed at the same time on a computer

Canon USA says:

* DPP 4 installs as a separate application. It does not overwrite DPP 3 (I verified that this is true).

* But "recipes" are not cross-compatible between them (it is easy to imagine the headaches this can generate).

* If you use 32-bit widndows, use DPP 3.

And from Canon Europe:

"At launch, DPP 4.0 is compatible with Canon’s current range of full-frame DSLRs, including the EOS-1D X, EOS-1D C, EOS 5D Mark III and EOS 6D. For other models, an update of DPP 3.14 will be released."

This raises very tough questions for:

1) Those who use both FF and DX bodies - many pros do.

2) Those with FF bodies using DDP 3 wishing to migrate to DPP 4.

The situation for older FF bodies (e.g. 5D-II) is not clear.

I have verified that the DPP 4 and EOS Utility 3 downloads currently available from Canon USA and Canon Australia are identical (exact copies of each other).

Let's hope EOS, the goddess of the dawn, sheds some light on this confusion.

Robert J. Gonzalez Senior Member • Posts: 1,173

KLO82 wrote:

Where did you get 4?

I checked with website under the 5d mark iii and 3.14 is what's available.

Robert J. Gonzalez's gear list:Robert J. Gonzalez's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
GuardianFlash Senior Member • Posts: 1,481

DPP 4 is only available for certain full frame models at the moment. The full full complete version of DPP 4 that will work with raws from cropped models and older models will be released some time next week. Please don't panic.

GuardianFlash's gear list:GuardianFlash's gear list
Canon EOS R
TTMartin
TTMartin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,304

Robert J. Gonzalez wrote:

KLO82 wrote:

Where did you get 4?

I checked with website under the 5d mark iii and 3.14 is what's available.

DPP 4 is only available on the Canon Hong Kong site right now. Its official release date is June 26 and should be available on all Canon sites at that time. DPP 4 will still only be for newer full frame cameras at that time.

Canon states an update to DPP 3.14 for other cameras will also be released. It wasn't clear to me if that update to DPP 3.14 will be tomorrow, or simply an assurance that Canon will continue to update it in the future.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D +26 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads