An idea for Sony

Started 1 month ago | Discussions
Itamath
Regular MemberPosts: 102Gear list
Like?
An idea for Sony
1 month ago

On the A6000 I can use back screen view only, viewfinder only or auto mode that switches between them. Taking in account the battery is running out quiet quickly I wish there was a "DSLR like mode"in which I could use the digital Viewfinder for shooting like I would do with DSLR and use the back screen for reviewing the photos. This option would save battery life and works great for me.

Itamath's gear list:Itamath's gear list
Sony a6000 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,878
Like?
Re: An idea for Sony
In reply to Itamath, 1 month ago

Auto mode is what doing that. Remember that the EVF uses more energy then the rear screen. So when you put your camera against your eye, the EVF will start, when looking at the rear screen that will be visible.

The best thing to save energy is tu switch your camera off when not using. Remember that the DSLR has an optical VF that does not use energy, the A6000 uses an Electronic VF that allways uses energy whenin use.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Itamath
Like?
In reply to nevercat, 1 month ago

nevercat wrote:

Auto mode is what doing that. Remember that the EVF uses more energy then the rear screen. So when you put your camera against your eye, the EVF will start, when looking at the rear screen that will be visible.

The best thing to save energy is tu switch your camera off when not using. Remember that the DSLR has an optical VF that does not use energy, the A6000 uses an Electronic VF that allways uses energy whenin use.

Auto mode dosent do it exactly because when the camera is awake it uses the back screen for live view (unless you look at the EVF) and I dont need that. I want the back screen to be off unless I want to review photos. In other words, the EVF should switch on when I view it and the back screen should work for other uses like using the menu or reviewing photos.

Sony a6000 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,404Gear list
Like?

nevercat wrote:

Auto mode dosent do it exactly because when the camera is awake it uses the back screen for live view (unless you look at the EVF) and I dont need that. I want the back screen to be off unless I want to review photos. In other words, the EVF should switch on when I view it and the back screen should work for other uses like using the menu or reviewing photos.

You simply mean a way to turn off the LCD. And keep EVF either On/Off or Auto (eye sensor). Sony already does that on A-mount bodies. In fact, my ten+ year ild Sony F828 has a switch (no auto mode for EVF simce there is no eye sensor). But, of course, if you switch from LCD, the EVF remains on unless you turn off the camera.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Itamath
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 1 month ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

nevercat wrote:

You simply mean a way to turn off the LCD. And keep EVF either On/Off or Auto (eye sensor). Sony already does that on A-mount bodies. In fact, my ten+ year ild Sony F828 has a switch (no auto mode for EVF simce there is no eye sensor). But, of course, if you switch from LCD, the EVF remains on unless you turn off the camera.

Same logic as when you  work with DSLR. You dont shoot from back screen as with p&s and you   review photos on screen. Its simple and natural.

I tried to set the back screen off but I found it very uncomfterble to change manues and review photos with the EVF.

EinsteinsGhost
Like?

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

nevercat wrote:

Same logic as when you  work with DSLR. You dont shoot from back screen as with p&s and you   review photos on screen. Its simple and natural.

I tried to set the back screen off but I found it very uncomfterble to change manues and review photos with the EVF.

DSLRs don't because they can't. You have to select Live View option to lift the mirror up to use LCD for photography. Otherwise they simply function as a display option on E-mount cameras. You could do the same by choosing appropriate display on the LCD.

But it is the EVF that consumes more power, not LCD. BTW, not sure what you mean by more natural... I find use of LCD vs EVF interchangeable as naturally suited for an occasion.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
wictred
Contributing MemberPosts: 902Gear list
Like?

You can set the display to "For viewfinder"

In that case it won't show the live view anymore on the lcd but show the settings screen instead.

That would be "DSLR" like (don't know if it consumes less power that way ... )

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +3 more
SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,608Gear list
Like?

I understand what you're proposing, and I agree that it would be a useful, and easy to implement, option.

It looks like a number of other people aren't getting it.

1. Camera is turned on. Both EVF and LCD are off (not just black, but actually off and not using power).

2. EVF is brought to the eye. EVF sensor turns the EVF on. Photo can be composed and shot.

3. EVF is moved away from the eye. EVF turns off.

4. If auto-review is enabled, LCD will turn on and display just-taken photo.

5. If auto-review is not enabled, Play button can be used to turn on LCD and review images.

With this arrangement, EVF and LCD are only on when they're being used. This should save battery life without having to shut the camera off or wait for sleep mode.

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Itamath
Like?
Exactly !!! you got it right :)
In reply to SQLGuy, 1 month ago

The best.

EinsteinsGhost
Like?
Re: Exactly !!! you got it right :)

The best.

You are basically asking for:
-A way to display only exposure related info on LCD, which you can via display option (or, turn it off completely)
-Keep EVF in sleep mode (eye sensor polling for use, turning on the EVF when it is used. I have not tried it yet but it might already be there with the first point (display option) set.

wictred
Contributing MemberPosts: 902Gear list
Like?
Re: Exactly !!! you got it right :)
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 1 month ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

You are basically asking for:
-A way to display only exposure related info on LCD, which you can via display option (or, turn it off completely)

There is an option to turn "off" the monitor via custom button, but it will still stay powered on, it's just black. I wouldn't sacrifice a button for that.

So the idea is to turn off the lcd completely and only use it for reviewing. Tbh I don't think that there is much demand for such an option. The settings info screen is perfectly fine functionality-wise. The EVF will stay off until you move the camera to your eye, the LCD will only show the settings.

Doesn't solve the power consumption issue of course - unless the settings screen needs considerably less power than the live view. But I guess we'll never find out

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +3 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to SQLGuy, 1 month ago

I understand what you're proposing, and I agree that it would be a useful, and easy to implement, option.

1. Camera is turned on. Both EVF and LCD are off (not just black, but actually off and not using power).

2. EVF is brought to the eye. EVF sensor turns the EVF on. Photo can be composed and shot.

5. If auto-review is not enabled, Play button can be used to turn on LCD and review images.

With this arrangement, EVF and LCD are only on when they're being used. This should save battery life without having to shut the camera off or wait for sleep mode.

-- hide signature --

This is how Fujifilm does it on the XT1 in EVF Eye Sensor mode

SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,608Gear list
Like?
In reply to newone757, 1 month ago

newone757 wrote:

-- hide signature --

This is how Fujifilm does it on the XT1 in EVF Eye Sensor mode

Maybe they have a patent on it.

-- hide signature --

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads