Upgrade D3 to D4 or D4s?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
JK5700
Senior MemberPosts: 1,560Gear list
Like?
Upgrade D3 to D4 or D4s?
5 months ago

I currently have a D3 and a D7100 that I use for shooting birds and wildlife. My lenses include the new 80-400 and a 500VR.

I am not really happy with the D7100 and am getting far better results with the D3.It really is hard work to get sharp shots handheld shooting BIF with the D7100 whereas I had no issues with the D300s and D3.

However the D3 also suffers from a small buffer when shooting NEF. I am now considering getting a used D4 to replace them both. Some questions:

Is a used D4 a worthwhile upgrade to my D3? I am looking for a bigger buffer, a few more pixels and better ISO performance. I understand that some are saying that the move from a D3s to a D4 is a backwards step when it comes to ISO.

Should I rather wait and save a bit more and go for the D4s?

A local guy is asking $4500 for a D4 with 50,000 actuations whereas the price of a new D4s is around $8500 here in SA.

-- hide signature --

http://kennekam.blogspot.com/
www.pbase.com/kennekam

JK5700's gear list:JK5700's gear list
Leica X1 Fujifilm X100S Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D7100 +11 more
Nikon D3 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon D4 Nikon D4s Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
glo
glo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,014
Like?
Re: Upgrade D3 to D4 or D4s?
In reply to JK5700, 5 months ago

JK5700 wrote:

Is a used D4 a worthwhile upgrade to my D3?

Yes, but the D4S would be more perfect for you.

I am looking for a bigger buffer, a few more pixels and better ISO performance. I understand that some are saying that the move from a D3s to a D4 is a backwards step when it comes to ISO.

I'd say that's not at all true, little discernible gain but clearly not a loss.

Should I rather wait and save a bit more and go for the D4s?

It's up to you but I would wait. I traded my D3S for a D4S and to me it's very much worth the upgrade just in the way it handles noise at high ISO and the white balance is better. Not to mention that you'll never bury the buffer on the 4S.

A local guy is asking $4500 for a D4 with 50,000 actuations whereas the price of a new D4s is around $8500 here in SA.

That's a big difference in price so I see your dilemma, however, I'd hold out for the 4S.

glo

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,407Gear list
Like?
In reply to glo, 5 months ago

I went from the d3s to the d4 and the d4 had a little better pixel count, auto focus was about the same, noise level a touch more than on the d3s.

I sold my d4 because for shooting birds I need to be able to crop more so I bought a used d800e and it works better for my wildlife purposes (birds mainly).  I use the battery grip on the d800e to get better frame speed using a d4 battery.  I am quite pleased with the d800e.

Larry

vbuhay
Contributing MemberPosts: 689Gear list
Like?
In reply to larrywilson, 5 months ago

Did I read you right? You can use D4 Battery (EN-EL18) with tthe D800e (Battery EN-EL15)? what kind of frame rate are you getting and how does the buffer limit that?

vbuhay's gear list:vbuhay's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Nikon D800E Nikon D750 +20 more
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,407Gear list
Like?
In reply to vbuhay, 5 months ago

Yes with the battery grip and a special Nikon end piece you can use a d4 battery.  The d4 battery lasts a lot longer than the d800 battery.  I am getting around 6 frames a second with about a 3 second burst which for me is plenty for a bif.

Larry

Wanchese
Senior MemberPosts: 2,357Gear list
Like?
In reply to JK5700, 5 months ago

I went from the D3 to a D4s.  The AF is better with the D4s, and the frame rate rocks. However, if I could do it all again, I would seriously consider a used D4. My D4s has been in for a shutter malfunction 3 times in five weeks, and the D4 loaner I am using is itself a wonderful upgrade to the D3.

-- hide signature --

YNWA

Wanchese's gear list:Wanchese's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads