Retouching makes you Lost Your Job

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
rondhamalam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,551
Like?
Retouching makes you Lost Your Job
3 months ago

Pardon the title, what I meant is

"Careless" Retouching can make you Lost Your Job as Photographer.

Even if you are a Pulitzer winner.

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/photography-blog/2014/jan/23/associated-press-narciso-contreras-syria-photojournalism

pdqgp
pdqgp MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,091Gear list
Like?
BS
In reply to rondhamalam, 3 months ago

rondhamalam wrote:

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/photography-blog/2014/jan/23/associated-press-narciso-contreras-syria-photojournalism

I don't see what the big deal is.  I don't believe half of the news put in front of us anyway as it's all doctored and made to provide us only what they want to share anyway.  Pictures or words, no different.

-- hide signature --

"If you're not having fun at whatever it is you're doing, you're doing it wrong"

pdqgp's gear list:pdqgp's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Konica KD-400 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-LS75 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,783
Like?
Re: Retouching makes you Lost Your Job

This is not a new story.

Photojournalists have different standards than other photographers, and they should all be aware of it.
--
- Bill

Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 12,896
Like?
I don't know that I would have fired him, but

The consequences should be severe, even for a first offense.  The standards are different for news photographers, he should have known them before even applying for such a position.

There were things he could have done to minimise the effect of that extra camera.  Or, he could have just not submitted that photo for consideration.

I'm sorry he lost his position, but what he did was kind of stupid.

-- hide signature --
Combat By Design
Regular MemberPosts: 207Gear list
Like?

Not so much retouching, but photomanipulation.

Combat By Design's gear list:Combat By Design's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon Pixma Pro-100 +3 more
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,813Gear list
Like?
In reply to Combat By Design, 3 months ago

Their actions in sacking him have lost them a great photographer. All such actions require the use of intelligence & what he did was trivial.

Combat By Design
Regular MemberPosts: 207Gear list
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, 3 months ago

"Nothing's trivial" - E. Draven

I might agree with you, but that second camera makes all the difference in the world in this particular case.
Without that camera there, it would have looked like he was completely along in the field with just his camera and the fighters, which was not the case, and even though that might be "small" to some people, AP outlines FROM THE BEGINNING (as the article states) that NO photo manipulation is tolerated.

But yes... they did lose a good photographer, over that photographer's silly choice

Combat By Design's gear list:Combat By Design's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon Pixma Pro-100 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads